• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Ricardo Quaresma
40 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Robbie said they had registered him for Europe so he was good to go whenever the application comes through

That was a lot longer than 18 hours

Just now, Captain Lithuania said:

I don’t see him as a winger. He’s a forward, number 10, will play the Boyce role and he’ll do it well. 

the Boyce role that his defenders say he does so well because of his workrate?

ToadKiller Dog

Snodgrass as long as he is still in good nick ,kean to play and used correctly will be a good asset . 

It's clearly a signing to help get us through a busy schedule ,his experiance will rub off on the players .

Plenty 35 year old still doing well at high levels ,if Luton fans wanted him to stay then that's a positive .

Just now, Deviskan said:

the Boyce role that his defenders say he does so well because of his workrate?

When was the last time you seen Snodgrass play?

You do realise you can be 35 years old and still be fit!?

Captain Lithuania
Just now, Mac80 said:

When was the last time you seen Snodgrass play?

You do realise you can be 35 years old and still be fit!?

Mad that folk are writing him off because of his age. The man is a professional footballer. 

8 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Wait til all these folk banging on about him being 34 find out that he’s 35 tomorrow 😆

If Modric can do it for Real Madrid at 36.......

9 minutes ago, Negan said:

Surely this means he can't play in europe though?

From my days on football manager clubs can make 1/2 changes a few days before the first match, which may be why signing is happening today.. could be complete rubbish though.

On Snodgrass, watched a game on Sky with Luton earlier in the year and he ran the show.  Small sample but he should have more than enough quality left to make an impact if hes fit.

Folk comparing him to Charlie Adam LOL. Even at 34/35 Snodgrass is half the size and twice as fit as Adam has ever been.

Still; Adam was pinging pin-point accurate passes all over the pitch while he was 36 and overweight, and was directly involved in 1/3 or their goals last season, with more coming from 2nd balls and knock-downs from his set-pieces. If Snodgrass comes here and makes a contribution like that, I'll consider that to be a pretty successful signing. 

Also: he'll be much better than McGeady ;) 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Captain Lithuania said:

Mad that folk are writing him off because of his age. The man is a professional footballer. 

For the position he plays…I’d say a 35 year old will struggle, when our team are supposed to play a high intensity pressing game.

but guess time will tell huh, if he does sign hopefully he will make me eat my words and will be a standout for us in the league and cup this season.

17 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Snodgrass would be a great signing, even at 34.

Meant to be a good guy in the dressing room and plenty of experience 

He’s 35 tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, japanjambo said:

Be a decent signing. A bit of experience is just what we need. 

Absolutely this. He looks fit and Luton fans gutted he didn't stay after last season is telling. He has bags of ability I'm sure if we use him correctly he will be an asset especially since he can't play in Europe so you would think he will play the majority of games domestically. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Folk comparing him to Charlie Adam LOL. Even at 34/35 Snodgrass is half the size and twice as fit as Adam has ever been.

Still; Adam was pinging pin-point accurate passes all over the pitch while he was 36 and overweight, and was directly involved in 1/3 or their goals last season, with more coming from 2nd balls and knock-downs from his set-pieces. If Snodgrass comes here and makes a contribution like that, I'll consider that to be a pretty successful signing. 

It appears you’re incapable of reading and digesting a post…as I clearly said if Adam could do it at 36 then maybe Snodgrass will too.

Although they play completely different positions.

2 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

Be a decent signing. A bit of experience is just what we need. 

Exactly. As long as he is fit, I think this will be good for us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Deviskan said:

For the position he plays…I’d say a 35 year old will struggle, when our team are supposed to play a high intensity pressing game.

but guess time will tell huh, if he does sign hopefully he will make me eat my words and will be a standout for us in the league and cup this season.

If he can play maybe 15 games and help get us to third, then its worth the risk, but I agree this is a risk. Clearly a quality player, how we can use him sparingly, and what cash he is on, all part of the equation and we dont know

"He'd have been a great signing a few years ago." No shit. An EPL side signed him as recently as 18 months ago. :lol:

It's a desperate signing? We're desperate.

I said last night I'd take him. I'd probably have avoided a few weeks ago due to age but we've not been able to get a long term option in there. His game has always been about skill rather than pace and his performances for EPL play-off semi-finalists last season suggest he might still have it. We're arguably lacking experience in the forward areas anyway.

Take and continue looking for long term options in January.

LochcarronJambo

I would be very surprised if Snodgrass is not a positive signing, he is definitely worth a punt, there is a risk at his age, but I think absolutely he will improve us 

1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

It appears you’re incapable of reading and digesting a post…as I clearly said if Adam could do it at 36 then maybe Snodgrass will too.

Not aimed at your post 👍

Captain Lithuania
2 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Maybe a 35 year old off the street. The guy has played in the Premier League fairly recently and will have looked after himself. He has played in Scotland before, understands the demands and must think he’s up to it. I’m glad we are fan owned and not fan run. 

RustyRightPeg

Whilst not top of anyones list, it’s a sensible signing. Experienced and a wicked left foot. 

Plus side is if he’s shite who cares, he’s also hilarious so he’ll provide some laughs to raise spirits if we get pumped every couple of Thursdays. 

Clark Griswold
21 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Glass half full, well rested quality player with something left to give, glass half empty, has been wage thief picking up one last pay cheque

In a nutshell how this thread will go if he signs 

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Whilst not top of anyones list, it’s a sensible signing. Experienced and a wicked left foot. 

Plus side is if he’s shite who cares, he’s also hilarious so he’ll provide some laughs to raise spirits if we get pumped every couple of Thursdays. 

Can he take good corners?  Seen him loads obviously but can’tremember. 

4 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

I thought you were being sarcastic as Adam was generally terrible last season. 

A couple of quotes for his time at West Brom:

“Snodgrass has been blighted by injury since becoming Sam Allardyce's first Albion signing a year ago.

He has also struggled for fitness this year”.

So let’s hope that isn’t the Snodgrass we’d be getting…to cover the next year but ends up being out for long periods…which is what I’d expect from an older player (more susceptible to injury).

Edited by Deviskan

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Berra, Naismith and Hughes were all good for a year at least.

A one year contract with the option to hold on to him as a coach wouldn't be a bad deal

This, even Steven McLean was initially viewed as a really shrewd signing and was part of the reason we started that 18/19 season so well. The latter part of his time here has clouded memories somewhat.

It's the SPFL we play in, quality, experience and having a good football brain counts for quite a lot. Reckon so long as he's kept himself fit over the summer he'll improve us until we can get a more permanent solution for that position, hopefully in January. 

26 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I watched a 35 year old pretty much dominate us in the first leg with Zagreb so age isn't a problem.The worry is Snodgrass has been finished for a while.I fear this is our McGeady type signing 

Mind Chris Burke a few seasons ago, he was ripping teams to bits at 35. Johnny Hayes at Aberdeen is like 35 or something, ran the length of the pitch to make an assist at the weekend. It's not about age, it's about fitness. 

It's possible he is finished but I'm sure we'll have done our due diligence before making a decision. He should have a couple years in him at least at SPL level. 

2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

This, even Steven McLean was initially viewed as a really shrewd signing and was part of the reason we started that 18/19 season so well. The latter part of his time here has clouded memories somewhat.

It's the SPFL we play in, quality, experience and having a good football brain counts for quite a lot. Reckon so long as he's kept himself fit over the summer he'll improve us until we can get a more permanent solution for that position, hopefully in January. 

my memory isn’t clouded…Steven McLean was godawful.

Carl Fredrickson

Jim Bett was an amazing signing for us and I think he was a similar age. Class player who strolled games. The late Sandy Jardine won the Scottish Player of the Year and I think he was 39. Didnt Davie Weir do similar or he may have been 40? 

Different positions but still needing to be fit. 

If Snodgrass is fit, I think he will surprise a few of us. 

2 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

my memory isn’t clouded…Steven McLean was godawful.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

He was utter shit. 

Latterly, aye, he was pants. But the first few months of that 18/19 season he was great.

Captain Lithuania
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As far as Boyce replacements go I don’t see how we could get much better than Snodgrass. 

This is the truth. Guys a player and past his peak but will offer plenty. 

Maybe not one that’s exciting you all now but he will do his talking on the pitch. 

21 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Folk writing off Snodgrass before he's even signed :lol:

Guy will be a class act for us. Guaranteed.

Correct. The Walter Mitty's getting in a state, just put on ignore!!! 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***