*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

28 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Totally mate.  Been a bugbear of mine for years we never take quick throws.  Always seem to let teams get set.  Be great if we could get more of a mindset to see a throw as an opportunity to catch a team on the hop more often.

100%... this is something that Celtic do well - quick throws, quick free-kicks & quick corners. They caught Sevco out a couple of times! Maybe need to get the ballboys/girls off their butts quicker mind you!

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Ha!

As an aside, isn't it weird that we now NEVER use Smith's long throw.  Even late in games we need a goal, we just don't use it as a tactic.  I'm glad the Levein times when it was our only tactic are gone, but you'd think we'd get the CHs up and get it in the box occasionally, either in games we're the underdog or late in games...

This a million percent ... so good to see that cosigned to the bin 

20 hours ago, leeumboyce said:

Shelling a baw long made my eyes bleed, as does passing it sideways. Play forwards, we've got 2 of the most creative players in the league. 

Well you would have hated the first half at Fir Park including Kingsley's long ball to set up the winning goal. 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well you would have hated the first half at Fir Park including Kingsley's long ball to set up the winning goal. 

Atkinson's back-pass to Forrest for the third. :raging:

8 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I never thought his throw was all that long (did it ever reach the front post or level with it?), and seldom, if ever, brought a goal or even a near thing. The time it took him to prepare to take the throw always ensured the defence had plenty of time to prepare and knew exactly what was coming. I'm really glad it appears to be a thing of the past now. 

Agreed re Smith (so the below isn’t a counter to your post) but I do think it can be a useful weapon generally.

Could be wrong but I seem to remember in 05/06 a Neilson long throw brought about the penalty for the crucial 1-0 win v Aberdeen, and then also the Skacel goal in the cup final v Gretna.

Not saying we should have it as default but would probably rather hurl one in the box on occasion than the current tactic of taking forever and invariably losing possession.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
31 minutes ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Agreed re Smith (so the below isn’t a counter to your post) but I do think it can be a useful weapon generally.

Could be wrong but I seem to remember in 05/06 a Neilson long throw brought about the penalty for the crucial 1-0 win v Aberdeen, and then also the Skacel goal in the cup final v Gretna.

Not saying we should have it as default but would probably rather hurl one in the box on occasion than the current tactic of taking forever and invariably losing possession.

I've absolutely nothing against a long throw, as long as the thrower is actually capable of making long throws that create a threat. Smith only ever had a longish throw, and had that infuriatingly dramatic preparation. For a long throw to be a worthwhile weapon it has to be able to reach the centre of the goals from time to time and not, at best, always fall short of the front post. For the record, though, I'm a fan of Michael Smith, just not his attacking throw ins. His throws from defensive position are still pretty useful, though.

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

There's a difference between a long pass and a boot up the park.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

There's a difference between a long pass and a boot up the park.

Raking diagonals are now quite the thing

I think there is a difference between a proper long throw that will cause problems for a defence and just being able to lob it to the front post.Smith's always seem to be more of the latter, however Neilson, and more so Goncalves were more (even though different styles) of a threat fue to actually being able to get the ball straight in to a threatening area

AllyjamboDerbyshire
25 minutes ago, Gav M said:

I think there is a difference between a proper long throw that will cause problems for a defence and just being able to lob it to the front post.Smith's always seem to be more of the latter, however Neilson, and more so Goncalves were more (even though different styles) of a threat fue to actually being able to get the ball straight in to a threatening area

This is one of the points I was making. If a player is capable of a throw that, say, threatens the penalty spot, then the danger area that has to be defended spreads from short of the near post to the penalty spot, but Smith's throws were easily defended because there was only one, small area they were going to threaten, added to the leangth of time it took him to prepare before taking the throw. We actually look a bit more dangerous at attacking throws now with players who's movement and first touch is quite good, and Smith, who still throws it a bit further than most, is able to find a player more regularly, who, in turn, can set the attack going. It's an improvement, but still needs working on.

2 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

This is one of the points I was making. If a player is capable of a throw that, say, threatens the penalty spot, then the danger area that has to be defended spreads from short of the near post to the penalty spot, but Smith's throws were easily defended because there was only one, small area they were going to threaten, added to the leangth of time it took him to prepare before taking the throw. We actually look a bit more dangerous at attacking throws now with players who's movement and first touch is quite good, and Smith, who still throws it a bit further than most, is able to find a player more regularly, who, in turn, can set the attack going. It's an improvement, but still needs working on.

We're aff topic here, but agree with this really.  If you have a guy with a good heave, then it's a weapon up the sleeve, but us sending Smith over to the left to chuck it to the front post as something of a main attacking tactic was so mind numbing!

What I never see us doing is run, grab the ball and whizz it up the line for a winger (Gino would be perfect), already in flight to run on to.  Seems very simple to me but we just never do a "catch them on their heels" throw in.  Very few teams seem to try this in fact.  Not really sure why.  I mean there must be occasions in most games where it's knocked out and a forward can instantly get on their bike with a defender switching off even for just a second...

Anyway, not overly on topic unless we're signing Dave Challinor!

32 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We're aff topic here, but agree with this really.  If you have a guy with a good heave, then it's a weapon up the sleeve, but us sending Smith over to the left to chuck it to the front post as something of a main attacking tactic was so mind numbing!

What I never see us doing is run, grab the ball and whizz it up the line for a winger (Gino would be perfect), already in flight to run on to.  Seems very simple to me but we just never do a "catch them on their heels" throw in.  Very few teams seem to try this in fact.  Not really sure why.  I mean there must be occasions in most games where it's knocked out and a forward can instantly get on their bike with a defender switching off even for just a second...

This.

Our players seem to be static when receiving a throw-in.

section s heart
45 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Celtic are big on the quick throw ins and their ball boys and girls are clearly under instruction to feed the thrower with a new ball as soon as one goes out of play.

Agree we should look to do it more.

9 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Celtic are big on the quick throw ins and their ball boys and girls are clearly under instruction to feed the thrower with a new ball as soon as one goes out of play.

Agree we should look to do it more.

Yup, I like that

Bazzas right boot

Jerome sinclair! 

A ex Liverpool striker, went for £4m to Watford but spent his time on loan. 

Was on loan in Russia last season and then released. 

Just a random name, not itk. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Jerome sinclair! 

A ex Liverpool striker, went for £4m to Watford but spent his time on loan. 

Was on loan in Russia last season and then released. 

Just a random name, not itk. 

He's been without a club for over a year and before that he was on loan at CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria. 

Wouldn't go near him.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

He's been without a club for over a year and before that he was on loan at CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria. 

Wouldn't go near him.

Over a year, ahh thought it was this year and got the Sofia mixed up with Moscow 🙄

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Over a year, ahh thought it was this year and got the Sofia mixed up with Moscow 🙄

Another forward would be good though. 

Maybe be a job for January though. 

Although, if we're going for the South Korean lad still, I'd suggest also Suk Hyun-jun

Whats better than one South Korean? Two South Koreans!!!

Leaving aside politics (there is enough of that in the shed), will it be harder to sign players from England due to lower income  tax there, or do players manage to circumvent such inconveniences?

1 minute ago, dazajmbo said:

@davemclaren can you change thread title to Winter transfer Thread? Or is it time I start the new one? 🤣

I think the winter transfer window needs a new thread, though it seems a bit early as we are just into Autumn. 😄

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think the winter transfer window needs a new thread, though it seems a bit early as we are just into Autumn. 😄

It will keep the forum clean if we have one thread to concentrate the in-between transfer window speculations

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Leaving aside politics (there is enough of that in the shed), will it be harder to sign players from England due to lower income  tax there, or do players manage to circumvent such inconveniences?

It's £5k for every £200k over a year. 

We'll Likley just offer more or players won't care. 

Either way I don't think it will have any effect. 

• 1 year later...

Just going to bump this thread and say up through July I got absolutely ill hearing endlessly about this "Shankland" character that everyone was so excited about. Generally when there's that much buzz over one player, I write it off entirely because it's a self-perpetuating hype machine and just noise.

Just want to tip my hat to all those who said this Lawrence Shankland fella would score for fun at Hearts. Well done, all of you.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Just going to bump this thread and say up through July I got absolutely ill hearing endlessly about this "Shankland" character that everyone was so excited about. Generally when there's that much buzz over one player, I write it off entirely because it's a self-perpetuating hype machine and just noise.

Just want to tip my hat to all those who said this Lawrence Shankland fella would score for fun at Hearts. Well done, all of you.

👍🏽👏🏾

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Hey lad. He's not just a goal scorer. He works hard all over the pitch. He didn't actually play that well last night but this happens.  However he know where the net is...first 10 million pound player since Gordon 

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Geez thought we’d signed Snodgrass again ffs :lol: