*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

As I pointed out yesterday, I would not hold you breath for anything soon if last season is anything to go by. Last August we made our first signing of the month on the 23rd. (though 2 others signed in a week and a day.)

I suppose the only difference this year, Europe, though whether we win or lose play off is maybe less important than how we compete in the group phase, argument therefore to be patient

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:wtfvlad:

You obviously have a comprehension problem. There was no story to spin. Neilson saw something wrong and changed it in the first half. That is good management.

Was it good management to start Haring and Smith together?  I think once the team got pinged around everyone at 2pm, questions were asked. 

Im not actually on to pick holes in Neilson, he’ll get things right and wrong but it’s reasonable to ask why you’d start this kind of midfield against a team we know plays with high energy and has plenty pace around?

Everyone in the stadium could see he had to change it and if Robbie wanted to explain that he took a wee gamble at home, then why not give Pollock a chance?

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Was it good management to start Haring and Smith together?  I think once the team got pinged around everyone at 2pm, questions were asked. 

Im not actually on to pick holes in Neilson, he’ll get things right and wrong but it’s reasonable to ask why you’d start this kind of midfield against a team we know plays with high energy and has plenty pace around?

Everyone in the stadium could see he had to change it and if Robbie wanted to explain that he took a wee gamble at home, then why not give Pollock a chance?

I agree in that sense as I said when the team list was released. I would have swopped Smith and Sibbick. No idea if that would have been better or not but the key point is that he saw it wasn't working and changed it. I'm happier when a manager holds their hands up and changes things when it is not working.

10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

That midfield pairing can never be used again in 3-4-3 unless we’re bare bones. Look at our squad and you could probably get 7 or 8 better pairings. We were just asking to be attacked with so many defensive minded players on the park. Even when he changed it, it took a half time rocket to get us in the game, which fair enough, he seems to have got across and Grant started to run the game for us. No need to be gambling like that though with so many options and you really have to start worrying if Atkinson has what it takes here. That’s several times now he’s been taken to the cleaners by a winger

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Sometimes players have to sort it out, not all down to the manager… Atkinson has had a mare, and should have grown a pair, sorted his own performance out. That game will do him good for his experience! Sometimes you need the players to figure it out for themselves… if you just sub him it lets him off the hook! 

Atkinson was unwell. That's why he was subbed

Neverforgetfiveone
1 hour ago, bistokid said:

Neilson confirmed Atkinson was ill and that's why he was removed.

1 hour ago, bistokid said:

Neilson confirmed Atkinson was ill and that's why he was removed.

Are you having that? Hmmm I’m more likely to think that Neilson has done him a favour there….? Manager protecting his player

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:wtfvlad:

You obviously have a comprehension problem. There was no story to spin. Neilson saw something wrong and changed it in the first half. That is good management.

Agree!

40 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The thing is we have two transfer deadlines really, the main one that ends September 1st (so 4 weeks today) and the Europa qualifier deadline August 12th (a week tomorrow).

So, on one hand we’ve got plenty of time before the window closes. On the other hand if we want any new signing to play against Linfield/Zurich, we need them in and registered quick. And on one hand we’re pretty solid as a squad now, domestically at least, so there’s no need to panic, on the other hand there’s 7 games between now and the end of the window that can have an impact on our season. Plus, new signings need time to bed.

It’s certainly a case of risk / reward and some mind games between clubs going on. Difficult for us fans. I’m not hitting the panic button. But I don’t think we’ve got as much time as it seems, especially when taking into account players needing time to bed in. Also, we’ll very unlikely repeat what we did with McKay last season and get someone in after the window closes, as anyone who does sign does so knowing they can’t play in any European group games.

I think there's also the option of registering a wildcard player (or two?) up until the day before the first leg?

I also wonder how much that deadline will influence our dealings. I'm sure we'll use it to apply pressure to prospective targets to make a decision but if, for example, we aren't going to get an answer from Target A or their club before the deadline, do we push for Target B instead? My suspicion is no, unless there's genuinely no preference between the two.

Despite the play-off being a big game which we'll want to win, it's weirdly not that critical in the context of the season. Win or lose, we'll have group stage football, and there's some ambiguity over whether the EL or ECL would be better in terms of finance and the chances of progression or bolstering our coefficient. Ultimately it's far more important that we get the right players to secure 3rd again.

I'd love to be wrong, but not sure that deadline will be too significant. Hopefully I am and we'll see a couple of new faces in the next week.

8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I think there's also the option of registering a wildcard player (or two?) up until the day before the first leg?

I also wonder how much that deadline will influence our dealings. I'm sure we'll use it to apply pressure to prospective targets to make a decision but if, for example, we aren't going to get an answer from Target A or their club before the deadline, do we push for Target B instead? My suspicion is no, unless there's genuinely no preference between the two.

Despite the play-off being a big game which we'll want to win, it's weirdly not that critical in the context of the season. Win or lose, we'll have group stage football, and there's some ambiguity over whether the EL or ECL would be better in terms of finance and the chances of progression or bolstering our coefficient. Ultimately it's far more important that we get the right players to secure 3rd again.

I'd love to be wrong, but not sure that deadline will be too significant. Hopefully I am and we'll see a couple of new faces in the next week.

Good post. I don’t think we’ll be pressured into a signing to meet the Euro deadline because of the 2 player swap we can make as you mentioned. Plus we can do that swap twice. Once for play off and once for the group squad. 

6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

1 would think. Though definitely looking at more. A lot of work to get done for deals involving Asian clubs. 

Joe did say we would move out of the Aussie market and into the Asian as it’s value for money 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I still believe both players can be utilised during the course of this season. 

Im not ready to write them off just yet. They still have quality and would still walk into most SPFL sides  

Me too, but they seem the most expendable if we needed to make space for others. 

12 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

1 would think. Though definitely looking at more. A lot of work to get done for deals involving Asian clubs. 

Maybe one from Middle East in the 3 ?? 

35 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

Are you having that? Hmmm I’m more likely to think that Neilson has done him a favour there….? Manager protecting his player

Of course Robbie's penchant for making spur of the moment, decisive subs after a player has a bad 30 mins is legendary and he's not had any criticism from the stands when a player has had a stinker yet remains on the park at the 80min mark

Jamstomorrow
4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Boyle?

That's what I was thinking.   Can you imagine the seethe if we got him.

Fact is Neilson ignored many irate fans that thought they knew better all last season and more often than not got a result 😄 

I was one of those fans and I am happy he shut me the feck up 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Checked with my Aberdeen sources, Davenport was sought after by Glass, not Goodwin and has never had a trial there

Finlay James
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Why not? 

It would be worth it alone for the vermin tears and snotters

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why not? 

I will be honest and say I do not fancy him I prefer skilful players who stay on their feat and use their ability to try and score or set up goals ………… Boyle is a diving wee ***** and not a patch on Barrie or Alan 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, bazman said:

Atkinson was unwell. That's why he was subbed

Probably also why No.7 looked like a world beater for 26 minutes, not so much afterwards

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I will be honest and say I do not fancy him I prefer skilful players who stay on their feat and use their ability to try and score or set up goals ………… Boyle is a diving wee ***** and not a patch on Barrie or Alan 

Works that whole touchline though, and you can play him through the middle. Thought Hibs have gone from being just shit to incredibly shit since he's been gone

10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Checked with my Aberdeen sources, Davenport was sought after by Glass, not Goodwin and has never had a trial there

Perhaps your sources know otherwise, but the below is from the Daily Record in June.

Aberdeen are back on the trail of Jacob Davenport.

The Dons are keen on landing the soon to be out-of-contract Blackburn Rovers player.

Boss Jim Goodwin has already landed Albanian international midfielder Ylber Ramadani and Record Sport understands he would be keen to pair him up with Davenport.

The 23-year-old defensive midfielder has English lower league options and it depends if the Dons can convince him to head north.

Davenport has been on the Pittodrie radar since January when they were interested under previous boss Stephen Glass.

He was flagged up by Aberdeen 's head of recruitment Darren Mowbray and now Goodwin believes he could add something to his new-look squad.

Edited by DC_92

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No you don’t.

You prefer hearts players who help your team get a result.

If that’s by way of a penalty in a key game you will jump as high as the rest of us pricks.

Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Works that whole touchline though, and you can play him through the middle. Thought Hibs have gone from being just shit to incredibly shit since he's been gone

I think he would start to piss me off if he was doing all those histrionics in a Hearts top ………… would be funny from a pissing off Hibs angle but I would rather we signed better 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Sooks said:

I think he would start to piss me off if he was doing all those histrionics in a Hearts top ………… would be funny from a pissing off Hibs angle but I would rather we signed better 

No he ****ing wouldn’t - not if he was scoring, winning pens and free kicks… FFS.

5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Probably also why No.7 looked like a world beater for 26 minutes, not so much afterwards

County No.7 gave Atkinson a pretty torrid time. Defensive side of his game is where the work is needed. 

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

No you don’t.

You prefer hearts players who help your team get a result.

If that’s by way of a penalty in a key game you will jump as high as the rest of us pricks.

Yes I do ……….. I prefer better players who use their ability rather than their tendency to fling them selfs on the turf

The boy is a cheat and not particularly good other than being fast ………… I much prefer Barrie and Alan and if we are talking strikers then I think we need some one who offers some thing different to how we set up and play

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

No he ****ing wouldn’t - not if he was scoring, winning pens and free kicks… FFS.

I think you are vastly over rating him in all honesty I do not think he is all that good 

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Eh ? parking the bus means sitting deep and in numbers. No space for pacey players to run into. Ginos few decent games have been against teams with a high line who leave space behind them or who defend narrow leaving wide space 

2 hours ago, jamboj said:

Surely if a team has parked the bus there is no space behind for pace to be useful - you need someone to pick the lock (eg Mckay, Grant). When we've parked the bus you want pace on the counter, when Ginelly becomes invaluable. Personally I'd keep him over GMS if possible 

If a team parks the bus and we try direct over the top target-man style, it wont work but what i mean is using pace to pull players out, creating space for our Grants, Forrests to create something. Pretty sure Saints at home (cold midweek game where Gino scored  two) they were playing to stifle us until we utilised Gino's pace. 

2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Totally agree, but we might have something similar Sunday. Suspect Atkinson will not start, and Halliday will move into Smith role. Grant off the bench if required, though he did have a good game, horses for courses, the experience of Halliday might just serve us well in this  one

I wouldnt be against Halliday starting but he needs to keep the  heid, same with Grant as i know he likes a crunch!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Carter said:

County No.7 gave Atkinson a pretty torrid time. Defensive side of his game is where the work is needed. 

Being ill surely doesnt help your game either though eh?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

If a team parks the bus and we try direct over the top target-man style, it wont work but what i mean is using pace to pull players out, creating space for our Grants, Forrests to create something. Pretty sure Saints at home (cold midweek game where Gino scored  two) they were playing to stifle us until we utilised Gino's pace. 

I wouldnt be against Halliday starting but he needs to keep the  heid, same with Grant as i know he likes a crunch!

Tactical discipline probably key, might help some of the new boys to enter the derby as either a sub or at Tynecastle, knowing this game I think helps

Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Being ill surely doesnt help your game either though eh?

Sure doesn't! Gaffer has said he wasn't right in days up to the game. Hopefully he's good for Sunday.

I like Atkinson. Not quite sure of his best position. He could probably play on right of a midfield 3 or in a 3 within a 4-2-3-1 system as well as RB/RWB. 

August Landmesser
26 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Stick him in the B team, he'd tear it up in the Lowland League.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Perhaps your sources know otherwise, but the below is from the Daily Record in June.

Aberdeen are back on the trail of Jacob Davenport.

The Dons are keen on landing the soon to be out-of-contract Blackburn Rovers player.

Boss Jim Goodwin has already landed Albanian international midfielder Ylber Ramadani and Record Sport understands he would be keen to pair him up with Davenport.

The 23-year-old defensive midfielder has English lower league options and it depends if the Dons can convince him to head north.

Davenport has been on the Pittodrie radar since January when they were interested under previous boss Stephen Glass.

He was flagged up by Aberdeen 's head of recruitment Darren Mowbray and now Goodwin believes he could add something to his new-look squad.

He was flagged up by Allan Russell, who apparently had historic connections with Blackburn, Goodwin never interested, Aberdeen DNA Q & A with Goodwin. Hence why the interest in previous windows, when Goodwin was nowhere near Aberdeen

36 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why not? 

Finances, the fact he played for Hibs, and the risk his pace-reliant game could fall off a cliff after 30.

Style-wise I'd say he's pretty much what we're after, but it's never going to happen.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Carter said:

Sure doesn't! Gaffer has said he wasn't right in days up to the game. Hopefully he's good for Sunday.

I like Atkinson. Not quite sure of his best position. He could probably play on right of a midfield 3 or in a 3 within a 4-2-3-1 system as well as RB/RWB. 

Definitely better going forwards for time being, however role of the modern full back means really most do, more emphasis on what they deliver coming forwards these days

8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Finances, the fact he played for Hibs, and the risk his pace-reliant game could fall off a cliff after 30.

Style-wise I'd say he's pretty much what we're after, but it's never going to happen.

You like the ferret on the head then?

28 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Not sure finance would be an issue. Don’t care that he played for Hibs, if he turned it on for us for a season we would sell him for millions next summer. He is exactly what we are after - adds real pace to our offensive group and knows how to take chances. 
Hopefully last minute registration before UEFA deadline. 

33 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

He would be our new Gino in terms of style I would think 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Window closes 1st of September so plenty of time.

Is it not next week for European games the window closes ? maybe I’m wrong though.

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not sure finance would be an issue. Don’t care that he played for Hibs, if he turned it on for us for a season we would sell him for millions next summer. He is exactly what we are after - adds real pace to our offensive group and knows how to take chances. 
Hopefully last minute registration before UEFA deadline. 

I'm not fussed about signing ex-Hibs players either, as long as they do the job for us. I just made that point because, from his perspective, there's simply more risk/hassle involved in signing for us than there is for a similar wage at Hibs. The terms on offer at Hibs may even be better than we're willing to offer given their current desperate state.

52 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

He was flagged up by Allan Russell, who apparently had historic connections with Blackburn, Goodwin never interested, Aberdeen DNA Q & A with Goodwin. Hence why the interest in previous windows, when Goodwin was nowhere near Aberdeen

Fair enough, I was only going off the press reports.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Heard he was also on Dundee Utd's shortlist before they opted for Levitt. 

14 minutes ago, One five said:

Is it not next week for European games the window closes ? maybe I’m wrong though.

Nah, there's various registration windows for Europe before each round up until the transfer window closes. 

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Maybe missed a previous post, but what was wrong with him?

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***