*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Leveins Battalion
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The more interesting thing was the agent admitted he was bullshitting but he was using us because our recruitment had been so good it would boost his player’s chances of a love of we were linked with him.

Its shady as **** this game and to go back to comments worse where earlier I wouldn’t be surprised if we played the game as well sometimes as we have to play it to get the best of it IMO.

It's a complete meat market.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

25 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Interesting on the joe savage podcast saying that a players name appeared online that we were being linked to and was someone we rejected weeks ago. Wouldn’t be surprised if this South Korea player was the same scenario 

What podcast is this out of interest?

All good, found it. Only subscribe to SATF so missed this initially.

Edited by Costanza

42 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Has anyone called it a saga?

Earlier in the thread it was compared to the Shakland saga which wasn't really a saga either. 

A name appears in the papers, many fans think the deal is done and each hour that subsequently passes with no further info then its "not happening" and similar comments abound.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Earlier in the thread it was compared to the Shakland saga which wasn't really a saga either. 

A name appears in the papers, many fans think the deal is done and each hour that subsequently passes with no further info then its "not happening" and similar comments abound.

Turns out it was a saga.

Robbie wanted Shankland since he came back here.

Played the long game there…

Batistuta87
35 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Interesting on the joe savage podcast saying that a players name appeared online that we were being linked to and was someone we rejected weeks ago. Wouldn’t be surprised if this South Korea player was the same scenario 

I'll have a guess at that maybe being Ronan.  Don't think any other names have came up (in the press) that we haven't ended up signing? 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

I'll have a guess at that maybe being Ronan.  Don't think any other names have came up (in the press) that we haven't ended up signing? 

We “rejected” Wright technically didn’t we 

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Turns out it was a saga.

Robbie wanted Shankland since he came back here.

Played the long game there…

Haha well played.

5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Stuart Findlay? 

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Levitt maybe ?

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Really enjoyed that. I like listening to Joe, comes across as a very switched on guy and he's very passionate. Good to know we are still working away in the background on signings and taking our time to try and get it right.

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We “rejected” Wright technically didn’t we 

True. 

2 hours ago, RDSK said:

Stuart Findlay? 

Good shout aye

I haven't listened - does it specify a defender? If not, could have been Simms and we might have rejected him on the basis that Everton wanted too big a contribution to his wages. Heard Sunderland are paying him in full. 

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Good to see some maturity being returned to this thread 👍🏼

I see what you did there 😉👏

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Can close the book on Trent Sainsbury. He's officially signed for that team on Qatar. 

Seems to coincide with Savage confirming we think we might not need another defender…

Coincidence I’m sure.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Seems to coincide with Savage confirming we think we might not need another defender…

Coincidence I’m sure.

Probably more to do with him not really fitting the transfer model. Even Jorge Grant seems to be pushing the envelope in terms of age, I very much doubt 30-year-old Trent Sainsbury was ever considered.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Probably more to do with him not really fitting the transfer model. Even Jorge Grant seems to be pushing the envelope in terms of age, I very much doubt 30-year-old Trent Sainsbury was ever considered.

Robbie wanted at least a couple of more experienced players this window - recognises we can’t have a team full of under 26s

AllyjamboDerbyshire
11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He was on here.

13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I'm pretty sure Neilson said we might look at having 2/3 in that age bracket with European experience in his Scarves Around the Funnel interview back at the start of the window.

I think we could do with a bit of savvy at the back and he's probably got a few years in him at 30. He'd probably have slotted into RCB quite nicely.

More to the point, I doubt it has anything to do with Savage's comments as he agreed to sign for that Qatari team about 2 months ago.

Edited by DC_92

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Robbie wanted at least a couple of more experienced players this window - recognises we can’t have a team full of under 26s

Yes, there’s experienced and then there’s experienced with sell on value or not

Just now, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

He was on here.

Yes, but so has Charlie Adam, Cumdawg and Jack Wilshire

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Yes, there’s experienced and then there’s experienced with sell on value or not

Yes, but so has Charlie Adam, Cumdawg and Jack Wilshire

Proof positive of something we don't have a far king clue about anything that's going on in terms of our club's recruitment until it happens.

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I'm pretty sure Neilson said we might look at having 2/3 in that age bracket with European experience in his Scarves Around the Funnel interview back at the start of the window.

I think we could do with a bit of savvy at the back and he's probably got a few years in him at 30. He'd probably have slotted into RCB quite nicely.

More to the point, I doubt it has anything to do with Savage's comments as he agreed to sign for that Qatari team about 2 months ago.

Must’ve missed that podcast, did he say older or did he say around. 30? As a lot of our signings last season were early 20’s, so older doesn’t have to mean 30’s.

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Must’ve missed that podcast, did he say older or did he say around. 30? As a lot of our signings last season were early 20’s, so older doesn’t have to mean 30’s.

Just went back and found it. Relevant bit is at about 36:30 https://scarvesaroundthefunnel.co.uk/2022/06/07/episode-189-top-gaffer/.

No age specified other than "not 34 or 35". Talked about getting 1 or 2 in with regular European experience, but warned that 29/30 year olds are looking for their last big contract so it'd be finance dependent.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So two pages of "top bantz" :rolleyes: aside, I am presuming nothing is happening other than Davenport training with us?

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Just went back and found it. Relevant bit is at about 36:30 https://scarvesaroundthefunnel.co.uk/2022/06/07/episode-189-top-gaffer/.

No age specified other than "not 34 or 35". Talked about getting 1 or 2 in with regular European experience, but warned that 29/30 year olds are looking for their last big contract so it'd be finance dependent.

Fair enough, then if we do get anyone above 30 it’s someone willing to come on approx £3k pw. Who, if they’re earning that sort of money at that age may have not hit the dizziest of heights. Sainsbury off to Qatar a prime example of looking for that last big pay packet, so still think the board never even considered him.

13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So two pages of "top bantz" :rolleyes: aside, I am presuming nothing is happening other than Davenport training with us?

Yip 

Apparently no delay in the signing of him 

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Yip 

Apparently no delay in the signing of him 

Aberdeen had a look and decided against him after wanting him on loan before Goodwin went in.  Not sure but surely we should be doing better than a guy who cant get a club after the season starts?

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Fair enough, then if we do get anyone above 30 it’s someone willing to come on approx £3k pw. Who, if they’re earning that sort of money at that age may have not hit the dizziest of heights. Sainsbury off to Qatar a prime example of looking for that last big pay packet, so still think the board never even considered him.

The specification is someone with regular experience of European competitions, so a mid-range Hearts salary probably isn't going to cut it. Given Neilson thinks we need one or two of these players, I'm sure there's a decent budget set aside.

A direct return on investment in the form of a transfer fee would be unlikely, but success on the pitch can also be lucrative. Getting a couple of experienced players in the right areas could be massively valuable. 

As for Sainsbury himself, I would bet that we were interested in him at one point given who brought the rumour up in the first instance. That ship sailed several weeks ago, though.

6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Aberdeen had a look and decided against him after wanting him on loan before Goodwin went in.  Not sure but surely we should be doing better than a guy who cant get a club after the season starts?

Where do you get that from? They were reportedly after him again in June before it went quiet.

Your last sentence also applies to Barrie McKay last season.

Edited by DC_92

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Where do you get that from? They were reportedly after him again in June before it went quiet.

Your last sentence also applies to Barrie McKay last season.

He was on trial with them a few weeks back.  They wanted him jan goodwin didnt.

We need a Briellier type player imo. 

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

He was on trial with them a few weeks back.  They wanted him jan goodwin didnt.

We need a Briellier type player imo. 

He was on trial with Reading, not Aberdeen.

Aberdeen wanted to sign him again as recently as June: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jacob-davenport-back-aberdeens-transfer-27180573.amp

Naisys Tackle
Just now, DC_92 said:

He was on trial with Reading, not Aberdeen.

Aberdeen wanted to sign him again as recently as June: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jacob-davenport-back-aberdeens-transfer-27180573.amp

Aberdeen held talks with Davenport earlier this summer but Jim Goodwin decided to pursue other targets. But the Englishman now looks set to move to Scotland and he's due in Edinburgh today to discuss terms with Hearts. Davenport could even train with the Gorgie side this week as Neilson looks poised to strengthen his midfield options.

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Aberdeen held talks with Davenport earlier this summer but Jim Goodwin decided to pursue other targets. But the Englishman now looks set to move to Scotland and he's due in Edinburgh today to discuss terms with Hearts. Davenport could even train with the Gorgie side this week as Neilson looks poised to strengthen his midfield options.

Yeah, you'll notice that the "decided to pursue other targets" line conveniently only came out after he started training with us.

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yeah, you'll notice that the "decided to pursue other targets" line conveniently only came out after he started training with us.

Was weeks back.  Not that it matters in general.  These things happen. 

Absolute Scenes

Anyone else find it odd that of all derby goals, admin chose to show Olly Lees goal…same week we are linked with Korean Lee?

just an observation likes

Edited by Absolute Scenes

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Was weeks back.  Not that it matters in general.  These things happen. 

That quote isn't from weeks back. It's from today.

Aberdeen tried to sign him in January, then again in June. It didn't happen. Now he's (probably) signing for us and we hear Aberdeen have moved on to other targets. That's all we know for sure.

Absolutely nothing about him going on trial at Aberdeen or Aberdeen rejecting him. In fact, given they tried to sign him twice it seems much more likely that he knocked them back.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Aberdeen tried to sign him in January, then again in June. It didn't happen. Now he's (probably) signing for us and we hear Aberdeen have moved on to other targets. That's all we know for sure.

Absolutely nothing about him going on trial at Aberdeen or Aberdeen rejecting him. In fact, given they tried to sign him twice it seems much more likely that he knocked them back.

He trained with them and Goodwin said no start of July. 

Voice of reason
Just now, DC_92 said:

It seems to be only Aberdeen fans on social media trying to make out they rejected him to wind up Hearts fans. No evidence anywhere that it’s not the player that rejected them. If he does sign, he might spill the beans himself. Otherwise it’s all just guesswork.

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He trained with them and Goodwin said no start of July. 

And what's the source for that?

Is it the same source that had you insisting Beerschot wouldn't let Shankland go until they signed the guy from Troyes (which still hasn't happened)?

Sort of transfer related.

An interesting article on how Union St gilliose used data and a stat based approach to propel up the league's.

A wee bit similar to what savage and co are trying to do.

Few young guys who didn't quite cut it at big clubs plus some fairly obscure signings that impressed statistically

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/3461790/2022/08/02/union-saint-gilloise-champions-league/%3famp=1

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

And what's the source for that?

Is it the same source that had you insisting Beerschot wouldn't let Shankland go until they signed the guy from Troyes (which still hasn't happened)?

Not at all.  Transfer thread mate.  Be boring without rumors etc. 

They brought a forward 2 days later btw ;) 

4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Not at all.  Transfer thread mate.  Be boring without rumors etc. 

They brought a forward 2 days later btw ;) 

Your "rumours" are presented as fact and generally seem to be negative towards Hearts. You also avoid the question entirely when asked where they come from. Strange.

You insisted Beerschot wouldn't let Shankland go until after they brought a striker in. Whether they've signed one since is irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Sort of transfer related.

An interesting article on how Union St gilliose used data and a stat based approach to propel up the league's.

A wee bit similar to what savage and co are trying to do.

Few young guys who didn't quite cut it at big clubs plus some fairly obscure signings that impressed statistically

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/3461790/2022/08/02/union-saint-gilloise-champions-league/%3famp=1

Cochrane was there the season before last, which is maybe a small endorsement of our current recruitment methods. 

jamboinglasgow

Thought it is worth taking a moment with 4 weeks left in the transfer window to point out how quiet it has been after an early flurry of signings through out June.

In June we signed 5 players (Forrest, Rowles, Neilson, Cochrane and Grant.) 

It took another 3 and half weeks till Shankland signed, our only signing in July.

It now has been 2 weeks since our last signing.

What I find interesting is last season, after we signed Beni on 28th July, our next signing was not till 23rd August (after which two other players in the window and McKay just after the window shut.) 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***