Breakdancing in the Olympics

Ulysses

Ron Burgundy

That is just taking the piss. Breakdancing??

What next Salsa and mime?

Might as well just rename it to the 4 yearly festival of all things.

PortyJambo

I love watching the Olympics, and always end up watching sports I never watch at any other time apart from every 4 years, but there are some that I just can't watch even though I'll occasionally try. Horse dancing (dressage) is definitely one....and I reckon breakdancing will join that short list this year!

luckyBatistuta

What a nonsense, where will it end. Think I’ll make a push for Pitch n Toss to be included, reckon I’ll have a great chance at the podium.

hughesie27

Physically demanding

High level of skill required

Doesn't require a lot of expensive equipment to participate.

Deserves to be there over the Horse Dancing.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Physically demanding

Neither deserve to be there, both a lot of pish

Tazio

If you go back to the early modern olympics it included quite a few ‘artistic’ events including architecture, painting, and sculpture. The OP might be interested to know that independent Ireland’s first Olympic medal was for a painting by WB Yeats brother. 

Ray Gin
15 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Physically demanding

:spoton:

frankblack
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

That is just taking the piss. Breakdancing??

What next Salsa and mime?

Might as well just rename it to the 4 yearly festival of all things.

We have dressage equine events for toffs that are equally ridiculous and should be binned.

Edited by frankblack

KG1874

It’s my last year following the olympics cause boxing is getting taken off the program. Credit where it’s due I’ve followed some cracking boxers careers because of it gutted it’s coming to end this year. 

joondalupjambo
Posted (edited)

Follow the money as ever.

Breakdancing participation, and viewing  world wide must be big.  The Olympic Committee will have done their homework and pitched to the sponsors, new and old as to the  possible TV audiences. 

It is now about that for the companies firing in the dollars, how many people can we target and make sure are seeing our products.

The young, but growing sports both in the summer and winter Olympics are the sponsors future hence they appear.  Nothing to do with the Greeks and Olympia anymore really.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdancing

Some amazing information in that link about the trends.

Edited by joondalupjambo

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

It’s my last year following the olympics cause boxing is getting taken off the program. Credit where it’s due I’ve followed some cracking boxers careers because of it gutted it’s coming to end this year. 

Boxing or Break dancing, I know which of the two I prefer, its not Break dancing.

hughesie27
33 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

Why are they getting rid of boxing?

PortyJambo
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was something to do with a falling out with the amateur boxing authorities, with the Olympic organising committee no longer authorising them. 

Edit - yep, the IOC kicked the international boxing association out of the Olympics, so won't appear after 2024 (or until it's resolved I would imagine) https://apnews.com/article/boxing-olympics-ioc-iba-paris-1338983c3c1d0ccef6936f8a3fe34154

Edited by PortyJambo

ToadKiller Dog

Will there be a gold medal for the champion rap artist as part of the breakdance competitions ,will we see Olympic level dissing  😆 

Der Kaiser

Kerby should be in the Olympics ahead of bloody breakdancing 

Japan Jambo
3 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Kerby should be in the Olympics ahead of bloody breakdancing 

and 'touch the dugs arse'?

KG1874
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was something to do with a falling out with the amateur boxing authorities, with the Olympic organising committee no longer authorising them. 

Pretty much what I’d read. IOC and IBA have had ongoing dispute since 2016. It finally got put to a vote last year and majority voted to no longer recognise IBA. Could be wrong but think it all stemmed from boxing refusing to meet some sort of reform criteria. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

and 'touch the dugs arse'?

:interehjrling:

This is a new one on this young man of 61.:lol:

Polonia Gorgie
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Probably also to do with some of the disgusting results that happens!! Boxing is so corrupt! At every level!! 

Threedoorsdown

Great for those who love break dancing I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Ulysses
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

If you go back to the early modern olympics it included quite a few ‘artistic’ events including architecture, painting, and sculpture. The OP might be interested to know that independent Ireland’s first Olympic medal was for a painting by WB Yeats brother. 

Yeats-Liffey-Swim.jpg?itok=Em-v7SRg&cach

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Physically demanding

Lots of other forms of dancing are physically demanding. Require a high level of skill, and do not require expensive equipment. Why breakdancing?

hughesie27
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Lots of other forms of dancing are physically demanding. Require a high level of skill, and do not require expensive equipment. Why breakdancing?

Probably for the reasons mentioned before regarding advertisement/exposure.

Their is of course Figure Skating in the Winter Games which is one  similar level.

CostaJambo
9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Trying to cut down on violence. Will probably be back in a few years as a non-contact sport.

Jambo_jim2001

Tap dancing used to be an olympic sport,but due to the substantial injuries they dropped it. Too many dancers fell into the sink😔

trotter

Should start to include a drinking competition. Where athletes compete to get really, properly ****** up. Bring in Left Hand Drinking, penalty points for taking a piss, immediately getting a bye to the next round for messaging a bursds for your Nat King Cole at 2AM, 110 m garden hurdles whilst holding a kebab. 

Could be a winner methinks. 

trotter
7 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Tap dancing used to be an olympic sport,but due to the substantial injuries they dropped it. Too many dancers fell into the sink😔

Absolutely shocking patter. 

Reminds me of the works Xmas party last year. Everyone was feeling merry...

So Merry left. 

Samuel Camazzola

I think there is a place for it and will be fare more watchable than several events that get held. 

However, I also think there is a place for kerbie to be introduced. My previous at this discipline was medal worthy. 🥉 

been here before
19 hours ago, KG1874 said:

They're not getting taken off the programme, its just not been listed for 2028... yet.

The IOC ditched the IBA due to many long standing concerns they have about the way the sport is run at elite amateur level and them being unable to provide assurances that these issues had been addressed.

A new body, World Boxing, was launched about a year ago and have been working very closely with the IOC to get things rectified. They include a lot of big name national federations working with them.

According to a report in Boxing News a couple of weeks ago progress is being made and things look more encouraging now than they have for a long time.

KG1874
1 hour ago, been here before said:

They're not getting taken off the programme, its just not been listed for 2028... yet.

The IOC ditched the IBA due to many long standing concerns they have about the way the sport is run at elite amateur level and them being unable to provide assurances that these issues had been addressed.

A new body, World Boxing, was launched about a year ago and have been working very closely with the IOC to get things rectified. They include a lot of big name national federations working with them.

According to a report in Boxing News a couple of weeks ago progress is being made and things look more encouraging now than they have for a long time.

That’s good news. Hopefully the new body can resolve the issue before 2028 tourney. A lot of funds/investments get generated into boxing from success at the olympics it would be a shame to lose that. 

Ulysses

If they're going to keep boxing in the Olympics, surely there's also room for MMA and gangland shootings?  

::troll::

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

If they're going to keep boxing in the Olympics, surely there's also room for MMA and gangland shootings?  

::troll::

There's an idea. Instead of shooting at clay pigeons, competitors can shoot at each other and if they hit, an orange mark shows up. Hit your opponent Five times and you win.

Best of Three. An Olympics paintball if you like.

rudi must stay

Hopefully they build an arena for it that has a revolving floor