*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Alec Eiffel
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

“Things to be agreed” can vary anything from payment structure to simply agreeing a date of announcement between clubs. Again, the vagueness means he’s technically correct, but being technically correct doesn’t mean he knows anything the rest of us don’t. It’s journalism 101 in the modern age, making people think you know something, rather than actually knowing something.

It could be between Hearts and Beerschot or Shankland finalising personal terms with Hearts or even Shankland's release from Beerschot. Until all contract details are complete the it cannot be announced.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

fabienleclerq
6 hours ago, McNelly15 said:

I know this!!!!! 

So why did you bring up he's 16? You've lost me.

18 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Id still like one more experienced CB. (Sainsbury?)

imagine we added to your list:
Sainsbury
Anderson
Simms

that would be some window.

Wow as I said 

Cochrane

Rowles

Grant

Neilson

Forrest 

Shankland as good as confirmed.

I still believe we have a chance of Everton want to keep Simms that we will get him on loan. 

I think our remaining Midfield targets are Ronan and/or Anderson.

If as you say we get an experienced CB like Sainsbury……..deary me were in good shape! That’s a team that has potential to take a bit of stopping!! 

we can hope and pray. 🤞🏼

5 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

He also won everything in the air in that match.

I go to or watch on telly every Central Coast Mariners game and he's been a beast in the air for us. Whoever compiled those stats is either guessing or trolling. Trowlesing is now a thing.

As you’ve already ignored my reply I’ll say it again. The stats were made by a scout who’s a hearts season ticket holder. Get yourself an instat account(most common scouting platform in professional football) and check them yourself. They are facts. The other stats on him as a CB are very favourable, this is 1 of a 4 slide presentation and is the only one where he doesn’t get a glowing report. 

pettigrewsstylist
23 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Is 7am too early for the announcement ?

🤔

Exactly, what the hell have they been doing all night? Malingerers to a man.

The Black Prince
14 minutes ago, Dayman said:

As you’ve already ignored my reply I’ll say it again. The stats were made by a scout who’s a hearts season ticket holder. Get yourself an instat account(most common scouting platform in professional football) and check them yourself. They are facts. The other stats on him as a CB are very favourable, this is 1 of a 4 slide presentation and is the only one where he doesn’t get a glowing report. 

Sorry, I thought you were joking. Hard to tell on the interwebz sometimes...

The fact remains, whoever put those stats together doesn't know what he's talking about. I've watched Rowles ever since he was captain of the Oz U17s and especially since he joined the Mariners. He's unreal in the air and if you doubt me rewatch the Oz v Peru game where he wins numerous crucial headers.

6 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

The fact remains, whoever put those stats together doesn't know what he's talking about. I've watched Rowles ever since he was captain of the Oz U17s and especially since he joined the Mariners. He's unreal in the air and if you doubt me rewatch the Oz v Peru game where he wins numerous crucial headers.

I thought he was too.

The guy he linked to has something like 12 followers and the graphs they used looked like something a bairn would make for a school project.

14 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I thought he was too.

The guy he linked to has something like 12 followers and the graphs they used looked like something a bairn would make for a school project.

It has probably already been covered but if I remember right then Rowles was the only non Premiership player included so he will have amassed his stats against completely different opponents while every one else will have amassed theirs vs largely the same opponents give or take some for injury and suspension

I think it said that the graph was inspired by Greg the Well fan so does that mean it was Gregs graph but with Rowles just inserted in to it

broxburnjambo

Don't you just love this place.

Its full of wannabe architect's, football managers, football players, scouts, council planners, distillery experts, and we now have football agents. 😄

Can anyone please just tell us if Shankland has signed. 🖋️

1 hour ago, Mdoug79 said:

Wow as I said 

Cochrane

Rowles

Grant

Neilson

Forrest 

Shankland as good as confirmed.

I still believe we have a chance of Everton want to keep Simms that we will get him on loan. 

I think our remaining Midfield targets are Ronan and/or Anderson.

If as you say we get an experienced CB like Sainsbury……..deary me were in good shape! That’s a team that has potential to take a bit of stopping!! 

we can hope and pray. 🤞🏼

Once Shankland is over the line adding more quality with different attributes to what we to the middle of the park should be our next priority.  Being able to change games with personnel rather than soley shape in the centre will help us kick on

Finlay James
6 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

“Things to be agreed” can vary anything from payment structure to simply agreeing a date of announcement between clubs. Again, the vagueness means he’s technically correct, but being technically correct doesn’t mean he knows anything the rest of us don’t. It’s journalism 101 in the modern age, making people think you know something, rather than actually knowing something.

Apparently, Hearts want pay to into his account on 15th of the month but Shankland’ wife is haggling for the last Friday so it doesn’t mess up their direct debits.

16 minutes ago, brux said:

Once Shankland is over the line adding more quality with different attributes to what we to the middle of the park should be our next priority.  Being able to change games with personnel rather than soley shape in the centre will help us kick on

Who's next though? 

We know Ronan and Simms are a waiting game and if they come will be later on in the window 

1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

The fact remains, whoever put those stats together doesn't know what he's talking about.

😂😂😂

Whoever put those stats together isn't 'talking' about anything! They're literally just presenting data that is out there for anyone to use. No opinion, or anything that isn't fact, has been offered.

What isn't a fact, is the bit that follows you saying 'the fact remains'.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Some serious investigative work done by Pilcher there.

I know! He must be close to the very centre of Hearts to get that nugget of info. 

27 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Who's next though? 

We know Ronan and Simms are a waiting game and if they come will be later on in the window 

We’ve pretty much got to the edge of the map in terms of rumours. 

Uncharted territory from here. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
14 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

😂😂😂

Whoever put those stats together isn't 'talking' about anything! They're literally just presenting data that is out there for anyone to use. No opinion, or anything that isn't fact, has been offered.

You're going to be very fed up explaining that before too long. What people should realise is that 'headers won' is different from ariel attacks stopped. It's not necessary for a central defender to win every header if he ensures the attacker doesn't get a clean header himself, and I doubt there's stats to show that. Clearly the man who compiled the chart hasn't watched Rowles, himself, and is using statistics produced by others who might very well class 'headers won' differently from someone producing stats for the SPFL. We'll be able to judge Rowles' heading ability pretty soon for ourselves, and he seems to be a player who is continuing to learn his trade so hopefully we'll watch him improve as the season progresses, however good, or not, his heading ability is now.

Thanks for putting up the stats, anyway 👍

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, CMc said:

We’ve pretty much got to the edge of the map in terms of rumours. 

Uncharted territory from here. 

Beautifully put. 

Poetic. 

RustyRightPeg

That’s a deliberate tweet from Pilcher fed to him by the club. 

They have seen (and enjoyed) the nick some folk on here have got themselves in and want it to carry on. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

12 minutes ago, savage said:

No way its not done when he is cutting about in hearts gear 

Someone posted yesterday it could be a Friday announcement 😳

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

I thought he was too.

Not sure what you’re looking at but the fully qualified scout who created this well displayed and pretty industry standard visualisation has over 200 followers and has had his stuff shared by top level managers in the month he created a Twitter account 😂 Go create better and share it with us my friend. 

36 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

😂😂😂

I’m glad someone gets it 😂

13 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

You're going to be very fed up explaining that before too long. What people should realise is that 'headers won' is different from ariel attacks stopped. It's not necessary for a central defender to win every header if he ensures the attacker doesn't get a clean header himself, and I doubt there's stats to show that. Clearly the man who compiled the chart hasn't watched Rowles, himself, and is using statistics produced by others who might very well class 'headers won' differently from someone producing stats for the SPFL. We'll be able to judge Rowles' heading ability pretty soon for ourselves, and he seems to be a player who is continuing to learn his trade so hopefully we'll watch him improve as the season progresses, however good, or not, his heading ability is now.

Thanks for putting up the stats, anyway 👍

Yep, he’s watched rowles as little as the rest of us have. He just wanted to see the comparison and share it with his fellow fans. Time will tell how good he is in the spl. He looks a good find! Very good stats in his other areas! 

7 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yep, he’s watched rowles as little as the rest of us have. He just wanted to see the comparison and share it with his fellow fans. Time will tell how good he is in the spl. He looks a good find! Very good stats in his other areas! 

It is definitely interesting to see these things in a graph form Thanks for sharing it

Did anyone manage to work out who Shankland was standing beside in the picture?

Edited by tazhearts

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Did my one manage to work out who Shankland was standing beside in the picture?

his agent

8 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Did anyone manage to work out who Shankland was standing beside in the picture?

His agent can't mind his name now 

BackOfTheNet
5 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

It could be between Hearts and Beerschot or Shankland finalising personal terms with Hearts or even Shankland's release from Beerschot. Until all contract details are complete the it cannot be announced.

As I say, it can be a multitude of things, doesn’t matter what it is though as the tweet is so vague it can make it at first appear that the person knows what they’re talking about when in reality they know just as much as you and I from them public facts that can be observed.

30 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Not sure what you’re looking at but the fully qualified scout who created this well displayed and pretty industry standard visualisation has over 200 followers and has had his stuff shared by top level managers in the month he created a Twitter account 😂 Go create better and share it with us my friend. 

I’m glad someone gets it 😂

Boris Johnson has sheds load more than that so the numer of followers does not necessarily equate to fact or credibility.

2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I thought he was too.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

It has probably already been covered but if I remember right then Rowles was the only non Premiership player included so he will have amassed his stats against completely different opponents while every one else will have amassed theirs vs largely the same opponents give or take some for injury and suspension

I think it said that the graph was inspired by Greg the Well fan so does that mean it was Gregs graph but with Rowles just inserted in to it

1 hour ago, Waterboy said:

😂😂😂

Data is data. Scatter plots might look a bit primary school, but they are vey effective ways of comparing different things against sets of data measures. 

Percentages are objective and the data sets behind them will be pretty accurate (some boy in the stand or in front of a monitor recording the tallies). They are free from the selection bias and confirmation biases we as fans naturally hold. The stats are for all the games (in the league) not just the ones a single fan has watched - and they are not distorted by expectations or memory. Human memory is deeply fallible and one of its quirks is that often things that fit in with our existing concepts encode better into memory than things that don’t fit. Therefore if we view a player as strong in the air, it is quite likely our brain will seek out confirmation of this and fail to store mundane counter evidence. And then we immediately begin to forget whatever we have stored. Or overwrite with false recall. We are also far more likely to remember more recent events (eg end of season) than more distant events (start of season). With young players who can improve skills over a season, we are quite likely to superimpose this improvement on our recall of the start of the season.

Bottom line, the stats are more objective than our memories. Especially for us partisan supporters who on some level want to believe we can shape external events by our enthusiasm and will for a specific outcome. 

Rather than attack the stats, I’d argue there could plausibly be a stylistic difference between the two leagues which would help explain the gulf - and the fact that folk are citing his international performances as evidence his league stats aren’t valid. 

The data is the data. But there’s always a story behind the data. My guess would be that: 

a) The SPL favours lots of long punts up the park from goalies and defenders. We play at 100 miles an hour and the ball gets “emptied” a lot compared to other leagues, especially those that play at a more measured tempo. Long straight balls massively favour the centre half winning the duel as they can judge the flight and launch to meet the ball and send it back, rather than trying to track over a shoulder and win a more difficult angled flick on. The little I’ve seen of the Aussie league, it looked quite ball on the deck and measured (would imagine the heat slows it down). This would lead to less speculative or reactive punts and more crosses from nearer the byline - which are a fairer contest for the attacker. To compare to another league, Van Dijk only won 71% of his aerial duels by half way through last season. Doesn’t make him bad in the air or a bad player. 

b) I would also guess that Kye might have been the dominant front foot defender for his club and a more junior CB for his country. The difference between the league stats and the perception of folk also watching Socceroos games could be skewed by how many of the hard headers he has to take on and who he has to man mark. I don’t know if the aerial abilities of opponents in the Asian qualifying section compared to the A-League could also be a factor. 

Joe’s team will have access to much more sophisticated underlying data than this raw percentage. They will also have the scouting videos show the actual challenges. If they’re happy, I’m happy. 

Doesn’t mean the raw percentage is wrong though. 

Edited by CMc

1 minute ago, CMc said:

Data is data. Scatter plots might look a bit primary school, but they are vey effective ways of comparing different things against sets of data measures. 

Percentages are objective and the data sets behind them will be pretty accurate (some boy in the stand or in front of a monitor recording the tallies). They are free from the selection bias and confirmation biases we as fans naturally hold. The stats are for all the games (in the league) not just the ones a single fan has watched - and they are not distorted by expectations or memory. Human memory is deeply fallible and one of its quirks is that often things that fit in with our existing concepts encode better into memory than things that don’t fit. Therefore if we view a player as strong in the air, it is quite likely our brain will seek out confirmation of this and fail to store mundane counter evidence. And then we immediately begin to forget whatever we have stored. Or overwrite with false recall. We are also far more likely to remember more recent events (eg end of season) than more distant events (end of season). With young players who can improve skills over a season, we are quite likely to superimpose this improvement on our recall of the start of the season.

Bottom line, the stats are more objective than our memories. Especially for us partisan supporters who on some level want to believe we can shape external events by our enthusiasm and will for a specific outcome. 

Rather than attack the stats, I’d argue their could plausibly be a stylistic difference between the two leagues which would help explain the gulf - and the fact that folk are citing his international performances as evidence his league stats aren’t valid. 

The data is the data. But there’s always a story behind the data. My guess would be that: 

a) The SPL favours lots of long punts up the park from goalies and defenders. We play at 100 miles an hour and the ball gets “emptied” a lot compared to other leagues, especially those that play at a more measured tempo. Long straight balls massively favour the centre half winning the duel as they can judge the flight and launch to meet the ball and send it back, rather than trying to track over a shoulder and win a more difficult angled flick on. The little I’ve seen of the Aussie league, it looked quite ball on the deck and measured (would imagine the heat slows it down). This would lead to less speculative or reactive punts and more crosses from nearer the byline - which are a fairer contest for the attacker. To compare to another league, Van Dijk only won 71% of his aerial duels by half way through last season. Doesn’t make him bad in the air or a bad player. 

b) I would also guess that Kye might have been the dominant front foot defender for his club and a more junior CB for his country. The difference between the league stats and the perception of folk also watching Socceroos games could be skewed by how many of the hard headers he has to take on and who he has to man mark. I don’t know if the aerial abilities of opponents in the Asian qualifying section compared to the A-League could also be a factor. 

Joe’s team will have access to much more sophisticated underlying data than this raw percentage. They will also have the scouting videos show the actual challenges. If they’re happy, I’m happy. 

Definitely not attacking the stats and I found them interesting ............. I am just trying to determine how use full they are by asking some questions about the data

You have covered all of my questions with answers that i understand and that I suspected were the case I probably did not articulate my questions and replies very well thank you

A_A wehatethehibs
39 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

That’s a deliberate tweet from Pilcher fed to him by the club. 

They have seen (and enjoyed) the nick some folk on here have got themselves in and want it to carry on. 

N
N
O

U
N

C
E  

S

H
A

N
K

L

A

N

D

F
F

H

E
A

R
T

S

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Definitely not attacking the stats and I found them interesting ............. I am just trying to determine how use full they are by asking some questions about the data

You have covered all of my questions with answers that i understand and that I suspected were the case I probably did not articulate my questions and replies very well thank you

Sorry bud, quoted multiple posters. Wasn’t you that seemed to be saying the stats weren’t valid. Apologies if it read that way. 👍

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Boris Johnson has sheds load more than that so the numer of followers does not necessarily equate to fact or credibility.

Yeah, I was just replying to the comment that the person had 12 followers. I think he was maybe trying to discredit the facts with his “facts”.

I actually prefer people with less followers. I can’t stand the influencer culture…

1 minute ago, CMc said:

Sorry bud, quoted multiple posters. Wasn’t you that seemed to be saying the stats weren’t valid. Apologies if it read that way. 👍

Cheers mate

8 minutes ago, CMc said:

Percentages are objective and the data sets behind them will be pretty accurate (some boy in the stand or in front of a monitor recording the tallies). They are free from the selection bias and confirmation biases we as fans naturally hold. The stats are for all the games (in the league) not just the ones a single fan has watched - and they are not distorted by expectations or memory. Human memory is deeply fallible and one of its quirks is that often things that fit in with our existing concepts encode better into memory than things that don’t fit. Therefore if we view a player as strong in the air, it is quite likely our brain will seek out confirmation of this and fail to store mundane counter evidence. And then we immediately begin to forget whatever we have stored. Or overwrite with false recall. We are also far more likely to remember more recent events (eg end of season) than more distant events (end of season). With young players who can improve skills over a season, we are quite likely to superimpose this improvement on our recall of the start of the season.

Rather than attack the stats, I’d argue their could plausibly be a stylistic difference between the two leagues which would help explain the gulf - and the fact that folk are citing his international performances as evidence his league stats aren’t valid. 

Very good post. I’d be interested in seeing him up against the rest of the CB’s in Australia for example. It may just be down to the different styles of game in the different leagues. It could be as simple as the emphasis being put on winning the second ball in Australia instead of the initial header. That would explain Devlins tenacity anyways..! 

I had Instat for while after doing the PFSA level 1 scouting course and the stats you have access to are incredible. I can only imagine what Joe’s team can do with them.

1 minute ago, CMc said:

Which was what I did earlier when they first posted the stat / diagram, but recieved a condescending reply cause the guy has 200 twitter followers

14 minutes ago, CMc said:

Percentages are objective and the data sets behind them will be pretty accurate (some boy in the stand or in front of a monitor recording the tallies). They are free from the selection bias and confirmation biases we as fans naturally hold. The stats are for all the games (in the league) not just the ones a single fan has watched - and they are not distorted by expectations or memory. Human memory is deeply fallible and one of its quirks is that often things that fit in with our existing concepts encode better into memory than things that don’t fit. Therefore if we view a player as strong in the air, it is quite likely our brain will seek out confirmation of this and fail to store mundane counter evidence. And then we immediately begin to forget whatever we have stored. Or overwrite with false recall. We are also far more likely to remember more recent events (eg end of season) than more distant events (start of season). With young players who can improve skills over a season, we are quite likely to superimpose this improvement on our recall of the start of the season.

Rather than attack the stats, I’d argue there could plausibly be a stylistic difference between the two leagues which would help explain the gulf - and the fact that folk are citing his international performances as evidence his league stats aren’t valid. 

So is Rowles a good signing or not? 

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

Which was what I did earlier when they first posted the stat / diagram, but recieved a condescending reply cause the guy has 200 twitter followers

I thought he had 12? Your initial reply was condescending so I matched your childish energy. I’m still waiting on your to produce something better. 

upgotheheads

Does the recruitment of Shankland alter our situation with Simms, personally I think those two  would be a formidable strike force, or would we better relying on Henderson as well as Makenzie Kirk as backup?

5 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I just hope he is available for selection for today

How good would it be if he is named in the starting line-up but hadn't been announced beforehand 😅

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

How good would it be if he is named in the starting line-up but hadn't been announced beforehand 😅

I’ve got a feeling this might happen. “Trialist” on the bench crudely scribbled out with “Shankland” handwritten beside it. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

So is Rowles a good signing or not? 

Lol. Don’t know yet bud. Haven’t seen enough of him personally to give an opinion and he has not yet played a competitive game for us. 

Im certainty not worried by one specific stat from a different league being different to players playing in the SPL. 

Give me Til Christmas then I’ll get back to you. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***