*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Not sure anyone stated it was 'fact', just that it was interesting. Statistics, though, are in themselves based on fact, assuming the figures put together are accurate, and we've no evidence to show that that is not the case here. To my mind it is possible that the 'stato' putting together Rowles heading stats was treating headers won in a different way from those putting the SPL stats together, which could skew them quite a bit, and that is why we will have had him watched, live and by video, before any decision was made. His heading stats (if Savage etc did see these shown here) would have flagged up an area of concern which, no doubt, has proved to be of less concern than the stats might suggest.

As I said previously, if these stats had shown Rowles headers won to be up there with the best, then no one would be questioning them, and certainly not slating the original poster of them for putting them up.

Go and look and see if it was stated as fact

Don't guess please, bud

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

A_A wehatethehibs

Listen we know Lawrence is a Hearts fan, maybe he was just there in that personal capacity?  Bit of shopping at the club store, Tynecastle tour, quick photo and a meal at the Skyline. Probably nothing to it 

18 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Does it really matter, and I don't think anyone was claiming it as 'fact'? It's an interesting, if of debateable value, comparison of a player very few of us have seen in league action. I'm pretty certain that if the chart had shown him with stats to compare favourably with the top CHs in the SPL no one would be questioning their veracity. One positive, I think, to take from those stats is that there is, or might be, an obvious area for our coaches to work on that will quickly improve his all round game. What's more, as I've spoken of earlier, it's not necessary for a defender to win these ariel challenges to be effective in stopping attackers creating danger as long as there's someone to mop up and clear, which is what central defenders working together are supposed to do. Saw Alan McLaren play Mark Hately out of a game once where McLaren barely headed the ball but left Hately frustrated and angry because he never let him get one clean header. Dave McPherson did the rest and we won - 2-0 I think.

Then there was the time when Christophe Berra was the best defender in Europe for headed clearances

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

The Shankland signing is like the documentary I’ve just watched Searching for Sugar Man!

😂😂😂

It is behind the coffee jar man

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

No, but they give an insight into what type of player he is. Aerial prowess doesn't seem to be a strength, but most of his other stats are impressive and he seems particularly suited to the LCB role.

It will be these kinds of stats which will have been used by Hearts to identify him in the first instance.

Stats can only take us so far. Then you have to use a bit of reasoning.

His heading stats could be low because the Australian League is full of big, physical brutes up front, moreso than our league. But that seems unlikely based on what people have said about the relative physicality in each league.

The graphs from earlier weren't presented in a critical way and this was the only one where he underperformed IIRC.

WHat I liked in CMC's post was the talk about types of aerial duel and he's of course correct.  I wouldn't have thought about this looking at the raw stats.  As he says, straight balls down a CH's throat, CF back to goal, bread and butter for a CH.  Cute diagonals with a CF running across you, or more balls in from by-line, you become second favourite and your job is whether to compete at all, or to compete but just to disrupt the contact, things that must be hard to pick up statistically.  In-moment decision making basically.

I like that.

Away from all the stat chat etc, I have a good feeling about Kye.  Think we're gona like him

Under the floodlight
3 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

The Shankland signing is like the documentary I’ve just watched Searching for Sugar Man!

😂😂😂

More like the curse of oak island

I've just started a new thread where all our statisticians can discuss player merits and leave this thread for transfers.

10 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Be interesting to see what the hold up is 🤔 if they tell us that is 

Last I heard they were working through a few things yesterday and still had some stuff to tie up but nothing that was expected to stop the deal.

This was a tweet from Barry Anderson to someone asking what the delay was.

A_A wehatethehibs

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Then there was the time when Christophe Berra was the best defender in Europe for headed clearances

Was there not another one that had Andy Irving as top 5 in world football for forward passes or passes into the final 3rd or

something? Memory’s a bit hazy on that one but to be fair the lads basically built a career off that 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I've just started a new thread where all our statisticians can discuss player merits and leave this thread for transfers.

I hope the new thread doesn’t turn into a car crash like this one.

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The man 👌

Drew Wallace

I don’t think there is a hold up all  the finer stuff will be taking care of before the Scarf above the head ….coming soon me think’s 👍

Edited by Drew Wallace

Lord Beni of Gorgie
33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm reminded of the old cliche. There's lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics.

I'm old school. I judge a player after seeing him play with my own eyes, even then not until they have played a dozen games minimum.

Statistics are like mini skirts, very nice but hide the most important things (Ebbe Skovdhal)

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Go and look and see if it was stated as fact

Don't guess please, bud

Not important enough for me to search through all those posts, but you clearly know where it is, why not show it? and if someone is stating that something the stats show is an actual fact about the player's ability, then I'll give you a wee salute. Be careful, though, to ensure that what's called a fact is not just someone describing stats in general as being based on fact and not opinion.

PS I can't be bothered with stats, myself, but when a poster puts them up he doesn't deserve to be slated for it just because the stats themselves raise possible questions about a Hearts player. The poster has repeatedly explained his position on those he posted and about the compiler of the stats, yet people keep belittling him and the compiler based, solely, as far as I can tell, on the fact they don't show him (Rowles) as we would like.

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Not important enough for me to search through all those posts, but you clearly know where it is, why not show it? and if someone is stating that something the stats show is an actual fact about the player's ability, then I'll give you a wee salute. Be careful, though, to ensure that what's called a fact is not just someone describing stats in general as being based on fact and not opinion.

PS I can't be bothered with stats, myself, but when a poster puts them up he doesn't deserve to be slated for it just because the stats themselves raise possible questions about a Hearts player. The poster has repeatedly explained his position on those he posted and about the compiler of the stats, yet people keep belittling him and the compiler based, solely, as far as I can tell, on the fact they don't show him (Rowles) as we would like.

:rofl:

No, you go and get it, I don't care

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Listen we know Lawrence is a Hearts fan, maybe he was just there in that personal capacity?  Bit of shopping at the club store, Tynecastle tour, quick photo and a meal at the Skyline. Probably nothing to it 

Probably just treating his agent to the stadium tour and a bit of lunch 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

No, you go and get it, I don't care

All roads lead to Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

More like the curse of oak island

More like Finding Bigfoot, plenty noise but no sightings 

Ainsley Harriott

Imagine the next transfer window when this place doesn't spend weeks talking about Lawrence shankland 

still waiting to find out who the young bearded bloke was that was in the stand with Savage at the friendly the other day

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Actually par for the course on here at times. There’s a wee cabal of posters who look for anything to rubbish a signing made by the club.  Pointless and stupid.  Most of us just make up our minds on players after we’ve actually seen them play.

I agree but I think a large part of the cabal are closest Hobos. Personally I can’t see the point of slagging off or shouting abuse at our players as it certainly won’t encourage them. 

12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Imagine the next transfer window when this place doesn't spend weeks talking about Lawrence shankland 

Unless theres interest from teams wanting to buy him...

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Gav M said:

still waiting to find out who the young bearded bloke was that was in the stand with Savage at the friendly the other day

Any pics?

5 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I agree but I think a large part of the cabal are closest Hobos. Personally I can’t see the point of slagging off or shouting abuse at our players as it certainly won’t encourage them. 

I'd agree but having seen how quick hearts fans in Tynecastle can be to round on a player when something goes wrong I wouldn't be surprised if they're genuine Hearts fans either

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Does discussion on a player who was a transfer target, but might not be now due to intervening signings, come in to your category?

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Any pics?

It was myself who spotted him but I had already said that I didn’t think he was a player, think he might be staff but Joe was ushering on where he was to sit. I was too close to the o get a pic as he would have seen me 

12 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Unless theres interest from teams wanting to buy him...

Or unless he's still at Beerschot

32 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Don’t worry we’ve got it covered. Homesick Cummings will be due back from Australia about then 😂

Edited by JimmyCant

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Don’t worry we’ve got it covered. Homesick Cummings will be due back from Australia about then 😂

There is always Jimmy Dunne, when there are umpteen Jimmy Dunnes to be found in Premier League 2

Dick Dastardly
3 hours ago, sandylejambo said:

I laughed out loud at that.

It was a cheap shot but it had to be said

AlphonseCapone

I'm not the ITK but apparently there's a picture of Shankland at Tynecastle or something. 

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m starting to think the Friday announcement is the more likelier outcome, for whatever reason

Ooft, that comment is going to tip a few over the edge. 😄

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Thing with Simms is he is young.

It may be that a lower EPL club see the potential in him, buy him off Everton for pennies but look to loan him out to develop this season.

Bing bang bosh.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Thing with Simms is he is young.

It may be that a lower EPL club see the potential in him, buy him off Everton for pennies but look to loan him out to develop this season.

Bing bang bosh.

Everton are a lower EPL Club ... 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was there not another one that had Andy Irving as top 5 in world football for forward passes or passes into the final 3rd or

something? Memory’s a bit hazy on that one but to be fair the lads basically built a career off that 

Porty Pirlo 😮 

30 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

It was myself who spotted him but I had already said that I didn’t think he was a player, think he might be staff but Joe was ushering on where he was to sit. I was too close to the o get a pic as he would have seen me 

Is it maybe this guy.

22 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

There is always Jimmy Dunne, when there are umpteen Jimmy Dunnes to be found in Premier League 2

Hurray! always good to see JD's name crop up.

thankfully our scouting & recruitment team are on another level now. (not that JD was bad - did v well in his first loan spell.....not so great in the second one. did OK at QPR last season)

4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Hurray! always good to see JD's name crop up.

thankfully our scouting & recruitment team are on another level now. (not that JD was bad - did v well in his first loan spell.....not so great in the second one. did OK at QPR last season)

Did I miss this 2nd loan spell

Fire_At_The_Disco
20 hours ago, Spookie said:

Hope you two are logged into the hotel WIFI or your bills are gonna be off the scale when you get home 

With Sky mate £2 a day👍

2062AA76-73F6-4DAE-A94F-5B620036B603.jpeg

8 minutes ago, bazman said:

Did I miss this 2nd loan spell

yoiks! .....quickly scrambles over to google to check!

perhaps my obsession with him has dreamt up a second loan spell. or maybe he was injured with us and when came back didn't see as good.....

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***