*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

LarrysRightFoot
3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would like to see him eventually get a chance at Hearts and maybe go for more later down the line, but getting some money now and hopefully a % sell-on is relatively risk free from our perspective and probably good business in the long run. The responsibility for his development shifts to Villa and we hopefully still make some money if he cracks on and gets another move from there. 

Picking up on something Savage mentioned in EEN interview, I think we may be inserting buy back clauses in some of these contracts. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

The only reason the English premier league is interesting and not dominated by one club like the Bundesliga is down to Juergen Klopp, with out him and the way he has Liverpool playing, Man City would be winning the premiership by 20 points 

Newcastle will be in the equation soon enough 

upgotheheads

There might be a danger here of over expectation in our recruitment. We will know fairly soon what level we are recruiting at but as long as the incoming players enhance an deepen the current squad I'll be happy enough. Finishing third again and getting closer to second place will be target enough but I think wee will need to enlarge the squad by at least four players.  

PapaShango
1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

The only reason the English premier league is interesting and not dominated by one club like the Bundesliga is down to Juergen Klopp, with out him and the way he has Liverpool playing, Man City would be winning the premiership by 20 points 

No doubt he is a top class manager. Will be interesting to see how close Newcastle can get to them with the money they have to spend. However the EPL standard has definitely went down. I used to love watching it in the 90's and could probably name you the starting 11 of every side. Now I would be lucky to name you a few players from the lesser sides, my interest in it has diminished and it's now all about money and accommodating tourists. 

2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

We still are not very good at allowing our young players get some game time

Especially in those last few games of the league - would have been ideal 

what’s the point of having a good youth system if we don’t us it?!

It could be argued that it is still not good enough and that the players we have don't give Robbie enough confidence to play them.

Having listened to Frankie McAvoy about his aims and ambitions for our Academy it will be interesting to see where we are in a few years time.

He certainly has a big job to do and these things don't change overnight but he certainly talked a good game.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/frankie-mcavoy-appointed-academy-director

Edited by wavydavy

PapaShango
14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It could be argued that it is still not good enough and that the players we have don't give Robbie enough confidence to play them.

Having listened to Frankie McAvoy about his aims and ambitions for our Academy it will be interesting to see where we are in a few years time.

He certainly has a big job to do and these things don't change overnight but he certainly talked a good game.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/frankie-mcavoy-appointed-academy-director

Agree with this, I don't think we don't play them because they are young. I just don't think Robbie thinks they are good enough to play regularly. Hopefully the likes of Smith and Pollock can break into the team as they showed some very early promise. However I think it's indicative that with the exception of Hickey and probably Leonard, none of the others have went anywhere about Hearts level. Cochrane and McDonald for example were hailed as the next big thing, however both have struggled at lower league teams. 

11 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Agree with this, I don't think we don't play them because they are young. I just don't think Robbie thinks they are good enough to play regularly. Hopefully the likes of Smith and Pollock can break into the team as they showed some very early promise. However I think it's indicative that with the exception of Hickey and probably Leonard, none of the others have went anywhere about Hearts level. Cochrane and McDonald for example were hailed as the next big thing, however both have struggled at lower league teams. 

This proves that the level we have had and currently have are just not good enough.

Sometimes it is a bit easier for the clubs a bit lower down the league to take a chance on younger players and give them regular games because they have little or no choice.

We seem to shuffle the pack and play players out of position rather than give the youths a chance which is really not good enough.

Obviously things don't change overnight and we all know that it is difficult to spot the young players that are going to make it but McAvoy certainly did a good job of this when he was at Hamilton so hopefully he can replicate that with us asap.

15 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Is he? My mistake 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

No worries, I only know because my son lives in Oz and I follow the A League 

5 hours ago, OTT said:

Hes 22 so works with Savages recruitment strategy. Looks like about 1 in 10 in terms of goals to games, which could be better. Although it looks like he’s scored 5 in 23 last season so those stats are misleading and he’s definitely on the up.

Ronan or Levitt IMO look like better options, but our recruitment team know what they’re doing, and much like Devlin he could be a hidden gem.

It’s amazing to think the Devlin was never scouted and was signed without ever being watched. Joes statistician team found him by searching for a midfield with energy bursting stats.

I trust in what JS and his whole recruitment team are trying to do. Unearthing hidden gems are no easy task and he’s found us a couple. Give the Aussie boys another year or so to get to grips with our game and they’ll be so far removed from this seasons production. 

Hearts starlet Ewan Simpson 'set to join' Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa for six-figure fee

can’t get a game at Hearts though. Why is my question 

Edited by Imaman

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Hearts starlet Ewan Simpson 'set to join' Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa for six-figure fee

Because he's 15.

Italian Lambretta
20 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Is that 6 figure fee similar to the Hickey 6 figure fee?

22 minutes ago, Imaman said:

:rofl: 

4 hours ago, Valentinho said:

Then why even enter the competition??!!

Winning the league will be really tough for anyone outside the Old Firm, but not impossible. What Scottish football needs is for not just Hearts, but also Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs (and others to a lesser degree) to become stronger and take some at least points off the OF.

It was just such a scenario that allowed Leicester to win the EPL - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc were maybe not quite so strong that year, but Leicester (to their eternal credit) took full advantage. Why could that not happen here, especially with the strong financial position Hearts will be enjoying for the next while?

This.

Nookie Bear
36 minutes ago, Imaman said:

He's 15 years old, you cabbage.

You think he's going to be rocking up alongside Coutinho next season? You'll not see him ina Villa shirt for 5 years - had he stayed and kept progressing then he may have got a game for us in 2/3 years.

The Wrinkly Ninja
45 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Because he’s notaman?

53 minutes ago, Imaman said:

😂🤦🏻‍♂️B3C958C2-EF75-4EF4-8FFF-4762170333BC.gif.0a737b7dc2010d7ee25e9c3e82254c97.gif

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Valentinho said:

Then why even enter the competition??!!

Winning the league will be really tough for anyone outside the Old Firm, but not impossible. What Scottish football needs is for not just Hearts, but also Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs (and others to a lesser degree) to become stronger and take some at least points off the OF.

It was just such a scenario that allowed Leicester to win the EPL - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc were maybe not quite so strong that year, but Leicester (to their eternal credit) took full advantage. Why could that not happen here, especially with the strong financial position Hearts will be enjoying for the next while?

Thankfully Joe Savage and even the manager have went on record as believing we can challenge the uglies, no matter what some pessimistic fans believe whilst thinking best of the rest is all we can achieve. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Part of that is the failure of the club to help them progress, something somewhere is wrong if we can only bring through a couple of players since administration who are good enough at this level when other teams seem more than capable of doing it. 

Agentjambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thankfully Joe Savage and even the manager have went on record as believing we can challenge the uglies, no matter what some pessimistic fans believe whilst thinking best of the rest is all we can achieve. 

Nail on the head…..can’t be bothered with fans on here with zero ambition.

PapaShango
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Part of that is the failure of the club to help them progress, something somewhere is wrong if we can only bring through a couple of players since administration who are good enough at this level when other teams seem more than capable of doing it. 

I think that is probably why they have reshuffled the staff around and brought in others. Like some others have said it may take a while to pay dividends. 

6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think Woodburn could come good. 22 is the perfect age for a winger to come into their prime. He must have something for Liverpool to have given auch an opportunity 

Connor Randall and Michael Ngoo were given that opportunity too, don't have high hopes in anyone from Liverpool 's academy

Unknown user
20 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not saying we can dismiss them.  Far from it.  BUT we are quite a distance in front.. AND we should have greater spending power and pull in the transfer market.

I trust Joe to do the job and put clear air between us

Joe and Robbie mate

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Connor Randall and Michael Ngoo were given that opportunity too, don't have high hopes in anyone from Liverpool 's academy

Kent and Woodburn came out of the same team, there are clearly some players in there. He might be an absolute **** but Kent's a great example of what can be found.

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

3rd is acceptable. 

1 hour ago, SMJ_1874 said:

It’s amazing to think the Devlin was never scouted and was signed without ever being watched. Joes statistician team found him by searching for a midfield with energy bursting stats.

I trust in what JS and his whole recruitment team are trying to do. Unearthing hidden gems are no easy task and he’s found us a couple. Give the Aussie boys another year or so to get to grips with our game and they’ll be so far removed from this seasons production. 

Maybe that's where we went wrong with Damour.  We didn't give him another year or so.😄

56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve won 4 league championships in close to 150 years so pessimism is justified by hard evidence.

1 hour ago, DB-14 said:

:rofl: 

We keep letting good prospects go I’m glad you find that a laughing matter

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

He's 15 years old, you cabbage.

You think he's going to be rocking up alongside Coutinho next season? You'll not see him ina Villa shirt for 5 years - had he stayed and kept progressing then he may have got a game for us in 2/3 years.

Thanks for the insult. We keep letting good prospects go and we are not progressing. 

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Because he's 15.

Still never given a chance to grow with us though but others obviously see his potential  

6 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Thanks for the insult. We keep letting good prospects go and we are not progressing. 

Can you explain how we would manage to keep them given the laws as they stand?

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Can you explain how we would manage to keep them given the laws as they stand?

Honest answer no I can’t but we don’t seem to trying to keep them is my point. 

Valentinho
26 minutes ago, Korky said:

We’ve won 4 league championships in close to 150 years so pessimism is justified by hard evidence.

Leicester have won one league title in 138 years (and it was recent). If we should be pessimistic, Foxes fans must have been suicidal pre 2016!

No harm in a bit of belief, even if the desired outcome is unlikely.

ginger jambo98
11 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Honest answer no I can’t but we don’t seem to trying to keep them is my point. 

Pretty sure we do try to keep the ones we want. Sometimes we can’t compete with what’s on offer from mega rich English premiership clubs !

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

I think that is probably why they have reshuffled the staff around and brought in others. Like some others have said it may take a while to pay dividends. 

Definitely, Savage was always going to sort that out. Sacking Leveins pal Roger Arnott was the start of it, more millions wasted. 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Korky said:

We’ve only won 8 Scottish cups, were you hopeful on Saturday or do you just  believe that we will never challenge the uglies?
Thankfully Savage doesn’t think this way. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

3rd is acceptable. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t, it is whilst looking to always close the gap and eventually challenge the uglies. 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 24/05/2022 at 05:44, tartofmidlothian said:

If we're talking ex-Hearts goalies as benchwarmers, apparently Jack Hamilton's out of contract, he's just spent a season as Morton's number one after leaving Dundee. Good enough to take on the mantle of Ross Stewart's three appearances a season?

Jamma over Jack all day long. He lacks the height and can't control the box but he's an ace of a shot stopper and if he's willing to not see much game time, the perfect candidate to keep in case of emergencies. We gave Hamilton a very good chance and he really flailed at it.

On 24/05/2022 at 07:48, Batistuta87 said:

I've named him several times, but this lad is our ideal backup keeper: 

Lovely find. 

5 hours ago, PapaShango said:

The gap in England is getting bigger, City and Liverpool are miles ahead of the rest. Just need to look back at the points total Man U mustered in 98/99, their treble winning season to compare it. Think they finished with 76 points compared to 90+ for both Liverpool and City this season. The Man U team of 98/99 is comparable quality wise and they dropped far more points. The lesser teams in the EPL are now cannon fodder to City and Liverpool. Starts to now come down to the games between them. Another disadvantage is having to play the OF 4 times a season. Were it just home and away then we may get a bit closer. I always go into a new season with optimism for us to challenge but that soon fades! However even going back to 97/98 we only finished 7 points off the top. We really could have won it had we not had a really poor last 7 games of the season. Always think the 2-2 draw at Ibrox and 1-1 with Motherwell at home floored us. 

These things are cyclical though. 15 years ago people were saying that United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool were putting such a chokehold on the four European places that no one else would break through for a decade. Pep and Klopp will both eventually move on and things will turn over again.

We've failed to break through and win the league in part because we've been all over the shop organizationally for decades. The OF were weak in the early 80s and that let United and Aberdeen break through, but our organization was so sclerotic that we were a yo-yo team. Mercer picked up the pieces and we almost managed in 86, and after that Celtic and Rangers both strengthened again. 98 was the end of the 9-in-a-row Rangers dynasty and before Celtic really recovered, and we were in a position to contend because we'd built steadily and solidly over a decade.

The pieman's mismanagement (despite getting us some decent stands) and Celtic and Rangers' early aughts strength were too much, and while Vlad gave us the budget his constant meddling meant we never had the stability to build. There was a real opportunity in the mid-teens and I thought we were positioned to take advantage but the Cathro disaster set us back years.

We're finally back to solid financial ground, a stable back office, and a manager who, this time around, doesn't seem to be looking for the next step up. If we keep building as we have, we'll have a chance in a few years. Both Rangers and Celtic look to be in a period of strength again, but I think Rangers in particular may get cleaned out sooner rather than later and Postecoglou will either have a downturn in fortunes or get hired away to England. If we're strong, stable, and enjoying regular European success by then, that's our window.

5 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Someone else will win the league in Scotland, whether it takes five years or fifty years, and when they do I want it to be us.

Exactly.

6 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Report in the S*n today, apparently Rooney is wanted by Brown at Fleetwood, Rotherham, Killie and by St Johnstone for a stay. 

Signed for fleetwood

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Imaman said:

Ffs. 

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, Imaman said:

We can't keep children against their will, that is kidnapping or slavery. 

We are progressing. 

We were 1st in the championship, then 3rd in top flight. 

The very defenition of progress. 

You are making no sense. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Kent and Woodburn came out of the same team, there are clearly some players in there. He might be an absolute **** but Kent's a great example of what can be found.

Kent cost rangers £7 million to buy so just a wee bit out our price range. 

1 hour ago, Imaman said:

Surely the fact that bigger clubs are picking up the young players we are attracting (Leonard to Brighton and even King to Swansea are other recent example) suggests we are finding a good calibre of young player though and could be taken as a sign of progress. I get what you're saying that we need some of these prospects to hit the first team, but without the financial power that these bigger clubs have we have absolutely no chance of retaining them.

Good luck to Ewan Simpson, why would you not chance the dream? 16 year old and getting a grand a week to play fitbaw. :lol:

We get paid for nothing, there are no guarentees he'll make it, might not have even made it at Hearts. It's all in his hands, fair play to the laddie. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***