*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Just now, AndyNic said:

Jan Vertonghen!

Maybe he'll bring Rafael van der Vaart, Aaron Lennon and Gareth Bale with him. Obviously loved Tynecastle after spanking us 5 - 0...

:scenes:

Actually Vertonghen wasn't even with them at the time was he? 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'd like something along the lines of an u23 league but with an allowance for over age players, say 3 or 4 per game. It would allow our younger players to play how we wanted them to and let players recover from injuries. The experience from older pros could also prove invaluable to the younger lads

This would be ideal and the most sensible solution.  But this is also why it won't happen.  Remember we're in Scotland

Armageddon
50 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Oh FFS, just been on Twitter and there’s a few folk falling for the Vertongen story. This is why Twitter bot accounts exist, there’s plenty of gullibles to lap it up. 

:facepalm:

49 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Somebody has edited Vertonghen's wiki just below his Benfica description to say he's joining us on a 2 year deal 😂

He signed for Benfica on a 3 year deal in Aug 2020 so he's not out of contract as far as I'm aware and we wait paying a substantial 7 figure sum on a 35 year old!

46 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You would think people, even if they dont look at the twitter page and realise its a bot that automatically creates nonsense rumours, would see the 6 million figure and realise its nonsense.

40 minutes ago, DB-14 said:

How many times. 

It's a bot that generates transfer rumours. It is not true.

39 minutes ago, DB-14 said:

People see a rumour in a foreign language and bizarrely treat it as gospel. If anyone even bothered to click on the account page it even says it is a bot in it's description.

The Bot accounts are as much ITK as anyone on JKB :)

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Not much happening just now though. There are only so many things to say about Shankland and Forrest. Even the RCC chat has dried up

We really do keep a tight shop these days, the previous transfer team had more leaks that a sinking pirate ship

7 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Actually Vertonghen wasn't even with them at the time was he? 

I think he signed the year after.   Not that I was checking his transfer status for any other reason but to inform you.  :shifty:

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You would think people, even if they dont look at the twitter page and realise its a bot that automatically creates nonsense rumours, would see the 6 million figure and realise its nonsense.

You would think, but alas, no. And then others, instead of retweeting, post it in a “apparently it’s being reported in French media” way, lending credence to where there should be none.

16 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The Bot accounts are as much ITK as anyone on JKB :)

Barring one or two, this is true

Let’s hope we get a few in for pre season as we will need to hit the ground running! Quality over quantity is key, we already have players who can do a job, players like Gino, GMS, Halliday, Mceneff etc, we don’t need more of these types. To push on we need players who instantly improve our first 11. I think we need a new spine to the team, with the exception of Gordon, we have Halkett, Beni and Boyce just now. Halkett is good and happy with him, Beni injured until Xmas and Boyce is good but if we are kicking on, I think we need an upgrade. How good would it be to have a new centre back better than Halkett, a new CM better than Beni and a new striker better than Boyce (would happily have Simms as that striker) 

looking forward to seeing who we bring in. I agree with the 7/8 mentioned but I do hope we can start to have some home grown talent as part of our squad. It is tough as you want them to develop and they may do that better on loan getting 90 mins, rather than a few cameo appearances for us. 

21 minus Souttar, Moore, Cochrane, Woodburn, Simms

Lets say for arguments sake add C. Smith, Hendo and Cammy Logan. Not sure on Haring staying but just say he will leave 

That leaves us needing 6 to get to 24. CB, LB, CM x 2, Winger/10, Striker

Also presuming no one leaves (including Ross Stewart) 

Definitely do-able. Gives us a nice sized squad with mix of experience and youth. I’m optimistic but will have to nail these signings 

8 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Let’s hope we get a few in for pre season as we will need to hit the ground running! Quality over quantity is key, we already have players who can do a job, players like Gino, GMS, Halliday, Mceneff etc, we don’t need more of these types. To push on we need players who instantly improve our first 11. I think we need a new spine to the team, with the exception of Gordon, we have Halkett, Beni and Boyce just now. Halkett is good and happy with him, Beni injured until Xmas and Boyce is good but if we are kicking on, I think we need an upgrade. How good would it be to have a new centre back better than Halkett, a new CM better than Beni and a new striker better than Boyce (would happily have Simms as that striker) 

looking forward to seeing who we bring in. I agree with the 7/8 mentioned but I do hope we can start to have some home grown talent as part of our squad. It is tough as you want them to develop and they may do that better on loan getting 90 mins, rather than a few cameo appearances for us. 

Yeah you're kind of saying what I think.

Been a lot of "we need to replace GMS/Gino/whoever" and I don't agree.  We need to sign better so these guys are very much our backup.  If we only sign guys to replace these ones and move them on, we then also need to sign more to make the squad!!

If starters and guys who played off the bench a lot this season become our "competing for the bench and give us depth" then we've improved.  And that's the continual growth we need.  Sign new guys in positions we're light and/or in positions where we can improve.  It doesn't mean we get rid of every player who isn't Craig Gordon, though.

Caveat is it may be hard to keep guy motivated, but that's the job and we'll have plenty games next season, especially if we go deep in the cups.

11 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Don't share you confidence in these being able to do a job. You are correct in saying we don't need more of these types, we need much better than them if we are to progress from this last season.

Dick Dastardly
30 minutes ago, brux said:

We really do keep a tight shop these days, the previous transfer team had more leaks that a sinking pirate ship

It just makes the klaxon even more exciting 

Clerry Jambo
15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Don't share you confidence in these being able to do a job. You are correct in saying we don't need more of these types, we need much better than them if we are to progress from this last season.

I agree Davy and would add Gino, flatters to deceive

1 minute ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I agree Davy and would add Gino, flatters to deceive

Yes probably correct.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

But if they're members, are they not entitled to a say the same as other members?

They are, but they shouldn’t have a direct say in how the pyramid is structured.  That should involve all clubs led by the SFA and SPFL in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

yeah your right. My thinking is though we have a bit of stability and don’t need wholesale changes. I am not GMS biggest fan but with better players around him, I am happy for him to come on for the last 20 mins of games when they are won, rather than relying on him to come on and change a game. 

4 hours ago, PapaShango said:

What argument can they use to refuse us when allowing Rangers and Celtic in? Just curious as to why they wouldn't let us join. There should be some form of reserve league for the top clubs, it's ridiculous that we don't have it anymore. 

They would be ok if it’s only two clubs but not three.  Last season was also supposed to be a one-off. 

3 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

They are entitled to vote.

I think the point being made, correctly, is that the SFA/SPFL should be ensuring that there is a viable semi competitive pathway to first teams for players over 18 years of age.

The biggest teams in the country shouldn’t have to rely on a vote by lowland league clubs in order to source this themselves.

👍👍

Auld Reekin'
24 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah you're kind of saying what I think.

Been a lot of "we need to replace GMS/Gino/whoever" and I don't agree.  We need to sign better so these guys are very much our backup.  If we only sign guys to replace these ones and move them on, we then also need to sign more to make the squad!!

If starters and guys who played off the bench a lot this season become our "competing for the bench and give us depth" then we've improved.  And that's the continual growth we need.  Sign new guys in positions we're light and/or in positions where we can improve.  It doesn't mean we get rid of every player who isn't Craig Gordon, though.

Caveat is it may be hard to keep guy motivated, but that's the job and we'll have plenty games next season, especially if we go deep in the cups.

Yup - probably wouldn't be the best idea to reduce our playing squad to 1! Now that'd be a re-build even Craig Levein wouldn't have tried to undertake.  :whistling: :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yup - probably wouldn't be the best idea to reduce our playing squad to 1! Now that'd be a re-build even Craig Levein wouldn't have tried to undertake.  :whistling: :thumbsup:

Just Craig would have been an improvement on his squads!

7 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

yeah your right. My thinking is though we have a bit of stability and don’t need wholesale changes. I am not GMS biggest fan but with better players around him, I am happy for him to come on for the last 20 mins of games when they are won, rather than relying on him to come on and change a game. 

I get your reasoning but he just doesn't do it for me. Weak in the challenge, misses the target more often than not when in good scoring positions and most of the time he has the heart of a mouse.

Gino is marginally better but we could still do better and McEneff just doesn't seem to be in contention despite appraently being the fittest player at the club alongside Pollock.

Loan signings can be good and maybe give us players we wouldn't be able to afford on permamnent deals but they leave the squad short when they depart back to their parent clubs.

If ours all leave then that is four players to replace as well as Souttar and possibly Haring. So we are going to need to bring in a lot of new players.

section s heart
14 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They are, but they shouldn’t have a direct say in how the pyramid is structured.  That should involve all clubs led by the SFA and SPFL in my opinion. 

Yep as someone else said it's a dereliction of duty by both SPFL and SFA. Most likely triggered by the arse cheeks deciding they didn't want to be in a reserve league, so it just got scrapped. 

Hard to know what they got out of playing B teams in the SLFL, but it's one strange arrangement, and based on possible SLFL voting intentions and the implied demands of us and the arse cheeks, sounds like it may be scrapped pretty soon. 

22 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Yep as someone else said it's a dereliction of duty by both SPFL and SFA. Most likely triggered by the arse cheeks deciding they didn't want to be in a reserve league, so it just got scrapped. 

Hard to know what they got out of playing B teams in the SLFL, but it's one strange arrangement, and based on possible SLFL voting intentions and the implied demands of us and the arse cheeks, sounds like it may be scrapped pretty soon. 

Wasn't the Reserve league scrapped at the beginning of the pandemic and just not restarted?

15 minutes ago, briever said:

Wasn't the Reserve league scrapped at the beginning of the pandemic and just not restarted?

Old firm were already agitating that were leaving and planning to play against other clubs development teams.  Whatever they are. Reserve league when it was suspended had only 8/9 of top leagues clubs in it if I remember correctly. 

August Landmesser

I can see an argument for keeping the likes of Gino, GMS & McEneff - as I see it, we'll basically have three types of game next season;

really hard games (big fancy Euro teams H&A, and OF away)

tricky games v competitors for top 3/4 and games we have to win (Home v OF,  H&A v Hibs/Aberdeen/Utd, and away to sticky bottom-sixers Livi/Motherwell/RossCo type stuff) 

relatively straightforward games (home v bottom-sixers, lower league in cups)

There's defny a place for Gino, GMS etc. in some of those games - particularly when the 'easier' ones are on a Sunday after a euro night

12 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I can see an argument for keeping the likes of Gino, GMS & McEneff - as I see it, we'll basically have three types of game next season;

really hard games (big fancy Euro teams H&A, and OF away)

tricky games v competitors for top 3/4 and games we have to win (Home v OF,  H&A v Hibs/Aberdeen/Utd, and away to sticky bottom-sixers Livi/Motherwell/RossCo type stuff) 

relatively straightforward games (home v bottom-sixers, lower league in cups)

There's defny a place for Gino, GMS etc. in some of those games - particularly when the 'easier' ones are on a Sunday after a euro night

a good way to put it and makes sense. I am by no means saying they are world beaters but I don’t think they will be on too big a wage, they know how we play and I don’t think they will be expecting to play every week. I know it’s always an automatic opinion to think ‘they are hopeless and we could do better’ but when you think about the bigger picture, we are limited as to who we can sign who won’t want a big wage, will be happy to be a bit part player and who can contribute. 

if one of the squad players is unhappy and wants to leave then by all means let them go or if they are on too big a wage then maybe offload them as we could spend that wage on a starter. I just want us to sign quality that will make us better, not just squad players who can do a job. If we start replacing the squad players then we are looking at a ‘rebuild’ which is not what we need, we need to build on what we have and get stronger each season

Let me be the first one to say

FFS Savage, one minute we are chasing Vertongen, the next we sign (insert decent signing) talk about underwhelming 

Mad Savage Oot 

tartofmidlothian
5 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Interesting interview with our CEO today where Robbie wants a pool of 24 players up from 21. With the players leaving that is up to 7 or 8 new signings coming in the door. Very positive interview and I like everything he says when I hear from him. Sounds as though some significant funds will be available, whether that is for fees or wages we will have to wait and see. My opinion is we are looking at a step up in quality from what we had this season and IMO is what is needed to continue to cement 3rd and get the riches that come with it and kick on to try and close the gap above us. All in all I think we are in a really good place at the moment but it's all about sustaining it and maximising the potential that comes with it. 

Great interview. Savage and Neilson were saying weeks ago the plan is to have a bigger squad for Europe, replacements for the guys we've lost plus three more always seemed like the minimum we'll be after. Maybe with one or two of our loans from this season among them if they want to come back? Very pleased if we can keep up the same level of quality as the last two windows.

Wonder how many whelms the first signing will be and how it will compare to other first signings?

Last summer started out with Ross Stewart. The summer before that started with Craig Gordon. 2019 started with Aidy White on a pre-contract in March.

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Wonder how many whelms the first signing will be and how it will compare to other first signings?

Last summer started out with Ross Stewart. The summer before that started with Craig Gordon. 2019 started with Aidy White on a pre-contract in March.

It's gonna have to be Messi then. 

The Wrinkly Ninja
4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Jan #Vertonghen is the subject of a war between Heart Of Midlothian and Dijon.  A reinforcement that would have a cost: 6 million.  (via HandSpinner, the mag)

3A69F848-6A9F-4F99-8FDE-E2E2C1C9B7FB.jpeg

Not true but he wouldn’t cut the mustard anyway!

8 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Chris Hamilton away. Not a surprise. 

Good luck to the lad. 

Not as concise as Soapy Dodgers statement surely he good have whittled that down a little

I’m sure Chris Hamilton will get a club ok, probably in the Championship.

Good luck to the laddie.

Rick Sanchez

I'd say Alan Forrest would be replacement squad filler. Maybe a younger, hungrier upgrade on GMS.

We'll need someone better IMO.

Jambo 4 Ever
8 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

I’m sure Chris Hamilton will get a club ok, probably in the Championship.

Good luck to the laddie.

Is have rather he was given a shot rather than signing an average foreign nobody 

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Is have rather he was given a shot rather than signing an average foreign nobody 

:laugh:

Yet I bet you'd be unhappy if we didn't finish 3rd minimum while selecting him?

42 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Or a domestic nobody why concentrate on them being born some where else

Jambo 4 Ever
37 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

:laugh:

Yet I bet you'd be unhappy if we didn't finish 3rd minimum while selecting him?

Could have been recalled and played the last 5 games of season at very least 

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Sooks said:

Or a domestic nobody why concentrate on them being born some where else

As they probably have never heard of hearts 

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Could have been recalled and played the last 5 games of season at very least 

I don't think you can recall outwith a transfer window. Happy to be corrected.

Would have been harsh on Arbroath though.

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What relevance does that have to any thing to what we are talking a bout 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't think you can recall outwith a transfer window. Happy to be corrected.

Would have been harsh on Arbroath though.

Could have recalled in January knowing Souttar was away 

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He's a midfielder now and nowhere near the standard that we have and will sign.

7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What do you have against foreign people 

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What do you have against foreign people 

I dont

but would rather give our own youth players a chance 

lost in space
8 hours ago, Thomson1874 said:

Goalkeepers

- Craig Gordon - 2024

- Ross Stewart - 2023

Right Backs

- Nathaniel Atkinson - 2025

- Michael Smith - 2023

Centre Backs

- Craig Halkett - 2024

- Stephen Kingsley - 2025

- Toby Sibbick - 2025

Left Backs

Centre Midfielders

- Beni Baningime - 2024 - Injured

- Cammy Devlin - 2024

- Aaron McEneff - 2023

- Andy Halliday - 2024

Wide Midfielders

- Barrie McKay - 2023

- Gary Mackay-Steven - 2023

- Josh Ginnelly - 2023

Forwards

- Liam Boyce - 2023

- Euan Henderson - 2023

Youth Players

Finlay Pollock

Cammy Logan

Mackenzie Kirk

Murray Thomas

Scott McGill

Harry Stone

Contract Expired

Chris Hamilton 

Mihai Popescu

Jamie Brandon

Jamie Walker

Connor Smith

John Souttar

Taylor Moore - Loan Expired

Alex Cochrane - Loan Expired

Ellis Simms - Loan Expired

Ben Woodburn - Loan Expired

Peter Haring

This is how the squad looks when written down, I’ve not included the likes of Haring and Smith because as far as we’re aware they will be leaving. I’ve grouped the younger players separately as most of these guys haven’t made many appearances and we don’t know if they’ll be going out on loan etc. 

Leaves us with 16 senior players. A lot of recruitment to be done!

Robbie Neilson will be looking forward to next summer -when we will have no forwards or wingers or attacking midfield.

Suit his tactics perfectly........

Only kidding.... well mostly kidding....... well partly kidding!!!!😇

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I dont

but would rather give our own youth players a chance 

So why did you prefix nobodies with foreign then

adambraejambo
23 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Should be hung drawn and quartered for that.  It's Hearts not hearts.  

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Not as concise as Soapy Dodgers statement surely he good have whittled that down a little

Chris could have just said bye, It's not like we've helped him through 2 big injuries that could have ended his career.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***