energy prices

Masonic

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No one should be committing their outgoings on luxury’s they can’t afford leaving them living hand to mouth. Just before you try your usual bollox I’m taking about people on decent wages financing themselves up to the eyeballs on things they don’t need. No one has ever been encouraged to do that. It’s a myth made up by people who do that then expect the government to wipe their arse when it all goes wrong. 

The problem we have now with this rise it now brings people into play who don’t do those things. Those are the people my sympathies are with and should be helped. 

No one should have a government that's abandoned their interests.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

We've sleepwalked into this disaster and the penny still hasn't dropped for some .

It's even worse than that.

There's plenty in the UK who still actively support the Junta. They'll not hear a bad word against Spaffer and the collection of imbeciles he's assembled to bleed the public purse dry. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Absolutely. As I’ve said though that doesn’t excuse anyones personal responsibility. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Spot On.

They will get what's coming.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No one should be committing their outgoings on luxury’s they can’t afford leaving them living hand to mouth. Just before you try your usual bollox I’m taking about people on decent wages financing themselves up to the eyeballs on things they don’t need. No one has ever been encouraged to do that. It’s a myth made up by people who do that then expect the government to wipe their arse when it all goes wrong. 

The problem we have now with this rise it now brings people into play who don’t do those things. Those are the people my sympathies are with and should be helped. 

Luxurious like and electricity have become that.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

like most people I’m focusing on paying my horrendous energy bills. 

Do you not think that by doing that you may be contributing to the problem?

This whole 'crisis' is manufactured and it's not even remotely all down to the Ukraine war.

This is a crisis of government inaction. Inaction when it became apparent that an energy crisis was in the offing.

Inaction to regulate the 'open market' they're so fond of.

Inaction to properly cap the energy cost. and to reign in the energy generators, not just the distributors.

Inaction to properly windfall tax the energy companies who are universally ripping the **** out of us. 

Inaction as the whole crisis has blossomed over the last 3 months, because they've got to take their time to allow 160,000 racist pensioners to pick the next idiot in charge. 

Just muddling along, lucky you if you can, doesn't resolve it. It facilitates it. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely. As I’ve said though that doesn’t excuse anyones personal responsibility. 

I've been talking about people who were living within their means before the rug got pulled out, there's **** all wrong with how they were living their lives.

It's just the usual Tory victim blaming pish from you, if you can find a way to point the finger at those you deem unworthy, you'll do it, every time.

Edited by Smithee

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've been talking about people who were living within their means before the rug got pulled out, there's **** all wrong with how they were living their lives.

It's just the usual Tory victim blaming pish from you, if you can find a way to point the finger at those you deem unworthy, you'll do it, every time.

No you haven’t, you quoted me when I was talking about overspending and you said they should be able to spend their money on whatever they want. You’re an open book always trying to turn it around me being a Tory. 😂

I get it Smithee you just need someone to blame. I’ll take one for the team. 👍

Incidentally credit and finance isn’t your money till you’ve paid it back. 

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This whole 'crisis' is manufactured and it's not even remotely all down to the Ukraine war.

This is a crisis of government inaction. Inaction when it became apparent that an energy crisis was in the offing.

Inaction to properly cap the energy cost. and to reign in the energy generators, not just the distributors.

Inaction to properly windfall tax the energy companies who are universally ripping the **** out of us. 

Inaction as the whole crisis has blossomed over the last 3 months, because they've got to take their time to allow 160,000 racist pensioners to pick the next idiot in charge. 

Just muddling along, lucky you if you can, doesn't resolve it. It facilitates it. 

I disagree Thor but if in your eyes me making sure my bills are paid facilitates it all then I’m okay with that. Gas & electricity in my house means a lot more than what someone else thinks. 😊

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No you haven’t, you quoted me when I was talking about overspending and you said they should be able to spend their money on whatever they want. You’re an open book always trying to turn it around me being a Tory. 😂

I get it Smithee you just need someone to blame. I’ll take one for the team. 👍

Incidentally credit and finance isn’t your money till you’ve paid it back. 

Ah ok I must have been trying to act all cryptic with that "living within their means" stuff, doh!

heartandsoul
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It really is ,  cost of living crisis . mass strikes ..businesses going to the wall.. people dying from the cold ..

And we have the most inept hopeless bunch of chancers we have ever seen in government .

We've sleepwalked into this disaster and the penny still hasn't dropped for some .

This. GREAT Britain.....aye right !

jack D and coke

Listening to a woman crying on the phone a wee minute ago on LBC who doesn’t think she can afford to use her kidney dialysis machine this winter. Jeez….

Martin Lewis on just now getting really animated about it all. 
Surely the daily mail and express gbnews etc must start the hate on him soon? He’s far too critical of the govt. 

WorldChampions1902
44 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It’s not just government ‘inaction’, it’s also government collusion. One example is the government allowing OFGEM to move away from 6-monthly Price Cap Reviews to quarterly reviews. Talking of which, the latest Analysts projections for next Springs average bill will be £6,700. 

Large swathes of society are unable to pay todays prices so how the hell can they afford nearly £7k?? The answer of course is that they can’t. And every time that Price Cap increases, more and more households become unable to pay. So, whatever measures the incoming PM proposes, they need to be flexible enough to work for the future price hikes that are depressingly inevitable. A tax cut that puts an extra £150 into the average workers pay packet and a reduction in our 5% VAT doesn’t touch the sides.

I am becoming more and more convinced that given the Junta’s no-go area of renationalising, the only meaningful alternative is to temporarily freeze the Price Cap. Watch this space

joondalupjambo

One thing is for sure.  There will be a lot less home and business energy wastage in the months, years to come.  Lights on when not needed, devices not left on standby, unused rooms will not be heated, famililes may start to sit together again and interact more,etc etc.  I know that many people are cutting back to the bare bones on usage at the moment but this will focus the minds of the wasteful.  Also large buildings with lights left on, we will see that change, businesses looking at using self turning on lightening will increase, single offices not being used will now be in darkness rather than seeing them sit all day with lights on etc, etc.

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Surely the daily mail and express gbnews etc must start the hate on him soon? He’s far too critical of the govt. 

The establishment has already started on him.

He applied to become a member of the House of Lords, (anyone can apply and be accepted if they have the necessary skills). His application was turned down because he was unable to commit to work the right number of hours.  Just consider those old bods and biddies who just turn up to get their daily allowances, pay a visit to the bar and spend their afternoons snoozing on the benches.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/23/martin-lewis-says-house-lords-rejected-peerage-application

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The establishment has already started on him.

He applied to become a member of the House of Lords, (anyone can apply and be accepted if they have the necessary skills). His application was turned down because he was unable to commit to work the right number of hours.  Just consider those old bods and biddies who just turn up to get their daily allowances, pay a visit to the bar and spend their afternoons snoozing on the benches.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/23/martin-lewis-says-house-lords-rejected-peerage-application

Yeah they did mention that on LBC actually. 
Michelle Mone and that idiot Ruth Davidson in there though. Mone should be looking at jail time ffs an utterly dreadful human being. Plenty snivvelling and grovelling from them while they get their palms greased. 
🤮

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Gizmo said:

A system that takes unloved kids whose parents send them away as soon as possible and view them as an inconvenience during holidays, starving them of needed affection and viewing them only via their scholarly results. In turn it churns out disturbed sociopaths to become the next officers, politicians and boardroom members to lord it over us plebs

Actually thats a very good point.  That must have some impact on a childs emotional development. In fact it does and clearly impacts into their adult life. 

This has happened on the Tory's watch - whoever the new PM is will be getting a temporary gig as they will be wiped out at the next GM. No matter how bad Labour are there will be a massive swing in that direction as they are the only alternative - unless someone can form a new 'somewhere in the middle' party that would have a broad appeal to voters. 

Footballfirst

The forecasts from Cornwall Insights are now £5,387 (52% rise) in January and £6,616 (23%) in April  (not compound interest figures).

£6,616 is 530% higher than the cap was in October 2020.

Edited by Footballfirst

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I’m taking about people on decent wages financing themselves up to the eyeballs on things they don’t need. No one has ever been encouraged to do that. It’s a myth made up by people who do that then expect the government to wipe their arse when it all goes wrong. 

Yes thats the classic " keeping up with the Jones thing".. I know a few people like that, even some relatives who are constantly wanting more and more in their lives and paying for it by credit.  Its all about status and showing off. Nothing at all to do with " need". 

JudyJudyJudy
46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hes far too popular  a character for them to take the chance with . well at least id hope.  He really is so genuine and caring. 

3 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

This has happened on the Tory's watch - whoever the new PM is will be getting a temporary gig as they will be wiped out at the next GM. No matter how bad Labour are there will be a massive swing in that direction as they are the only alternative - unless someone can form a new 'somewhere in the middle' party that would have a broad appeal to voters. 

You're right the next PM will inherit a poisoned chalice and then a short period afterwards they will be out, which will also probably be the end of their political career.

Unless they manage to work some miracle and turn this shit show around, however imo neither Sunak or Truss has shown any indications that they are either willing to or indeed able to.

As for a new party they'll need to be quick about it or they'll run out of time for the next GE.

The Internet
13 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Start unplugging your TV at night and turn the microwave clock off etc..

Pit a jumper oan

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Lights on when not needed, devices not left on standby, unused rooms will not be heated, famililes may start to sit together again and interact more,etc etc.

Agreed . Thats the only positives which may come from it. It may help the environment with us being more aware of how much wastage of electricity and or gas we use.  There was a woman on the telly talking about this last night.  Saying that when you cook some food you can cook a few things at the same time ( in the oven mainly) and then reheat the food when needed .  These are things we should have been doing before any col crisis. Ive always turned my plugs off when i leave the house and never have anything on standby. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes thats the classic " keeping up with the Jones thing".. I know a few people like that, even some relatives who are constantly wanting more and more in their lives and paying for it by credit.  Its all about status and showing off. Nothing at all to do with " need". 

But so what? If people were running up credit that's their prerogative, it's what we've been encouraged to do. If it was something they could service, it's not their fault that the rug's been pulled.

We need to be pointing at one place, the government.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hes far too popular  a character for them to take the chance with . well at least id hope.  He really is so genuine and caring. 

You hope so anyway. He was getting so animated about it and was almost shouting at the end you can feel how frustrated he is about it all. That they’ve known all these prices were going to be ridiculous months ago and haven’t done a thing.  
I don’t trust that scum media not to try being him down somehow. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

But so what? If people were running up credit that's their prerogative, it's what we've been encouraged to do

My point being they were buying things they didn't need to impress people who couldn't really give a  deck what they have,  its vacuous lifestyles really.  NO one  was forced to live off credit cards.  its been a choice. Me included.  .  

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Ive always turned my plugs off when i leave the house and never have anything on standby. 

People laugh at me for that. I’ve always done that tho🤷🏽‍♂️
My daughter tho man🙈almost every time she goes out I go into her room and telly is on, PlayStation probably on, light left on you name it. Drives me fecking nuts. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You hope so anyway. He was getting so animated about it and was almost shouting at the end you can feel how frustrated he is about it all. That they’ve known all these prices were going to be ridiculous months ago and haven’t done a thing.  
I don’t trust that scum media not to try being him down somehow. 

aye they did it with JC so you never know. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, jack D and coke said:

My daughter tho man🙈almost every time she goes out I go into her room and telly is on, PlayStation probably on, light left on you name it. Drives me fecking nuts. 

OOOOh that would drive me nuts too. Its a real bug bear of mine  when i see wasted electricity etc. Particularly in public places . The other day the bus had its lights on in the bus.  wtf it was a bright summers day. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My point being they were buying things they didn't need to impress people who couldn't really give a  deck what they have,  its vacuous lifestyles really.  NO one  was forced to live off credit cards.  its been a choice. Me included.  .  

And my point is that they're not the ***** in this.

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The forecasts from Cornwall Insights are now £5,387 (52% rise) in January and £6,616 (23%) in April  (not compound interest figures).

£6,616 is 530% higher than the cap was in October 2020.

There was a guy from the energy shop on Sky News just now, and he was saying if you think things are bad now just wait until next year, as pure panic has broken out over the last week or two on the wholesale energy markets, everybody all over Europe are trying to buy up as much gas as they can and prices are rocketing upwards, and all that is going to get passed onto us in the coming months.

The truth is that most normal working people spend what they earn, if you earn a bit more you will find ways to spend it. Very few will have significant sums to ‘put away for a rainy day’.

In effect more and more and more (and in some cases all) of households disposable income is being swallowed by energy costs,  interest rate rises, inflation on essentials. 

The quality of life for huge numbers of people will be rewound to the 1950s this winter.

And when people have no disposable income you will see businesses folding in their 000s - pubs will close, leisure facilities will close, crowds at football will drop, etc. 

We’re not heading for a recession - we’re going way beyond that. 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The truth is that most normal working people spend what they earn, if you earn a bit more you will find ways to spend it. Very few will have significant sums to ‘put away for a rainy day’.

In effect more and more and more (and in some cases all) of households disposable income is being swallowed by energy costs,  interest rate rises, inflation on essentials. 

The quality of life for huge numbers of people will be rewound to the 1950s this winter.

And when people have no disposable income you will see businesses folding in their 000s - pubs will close, leisure facilities will close, crowds at football will drop, etc. 

:spoton:

1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

This.  The economy is always a finely balanced equilibrium.  The kind of pressures about to be inflicted throughout the economy will collapse the whole gig.  The so-called real economy,  the daily circulation of wealth,  is going to take a clobbering,  which in turn is going to wreck the overall yield of taxation from VAT,  corporation tax,  income tax & NIC.  

Our failed state status will be realised sooner than people recently said.  

16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Miss JJ is dreadful, when she was staying with us during furlough it was unreal.

She'd get up during the night, turn the stair light on, then the kitchen light to get a drink, then the toilet light, then go back to bed, never turned any lights off just left then all on, but by far the biggest bug bear was when she put a washing on at 5 or 6 at night then put the stuff in the tumble dryer, when she could have done the washing earlier and then hung it outside, that used to piss me right off.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Miss JJ is dreadful, when she was staying with us during furlough it was unreal.

She'd get up during the night, turn the stair light on, then the kitchen light to get a drink, then the toilet light, then go back to bed, never turned any lights off just left then all on, but by far the biggest bug bear was when she put a washing on at 5 or 6 at night then put the stuff in the tumble dryer, when she could have done the washing earlier and then hung it outside, that used to piss me right off.

:lol: My daughter does all that as well. I wake up with the light shining through the gaps and I like my room pitch black at night. Bathroom light, hall light, kitchen light aaaarrrggh haha! She has another infuriating habit of putting a wash on then leaving it for about a day and if I don’t notice to take it out she fires the machine back on to wash it again…

:seething: 

SwindonJambo
36 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Agreed . Thats the only positives which may come from it. It may help the environment with us being more aware of how much wastage of electricity and or gas we use.  There was a woman on the telly talking about this last night.  Saying that when you cook some food you can cook a few things at the same time ( in the oven mainly) and then reheat the food when needed .  These are things we should have been doing before any col crisis. Ive always turned my plugs off when i leave the house and never have anything on standby. 

I do all of the same things. My current consumption is 1700KWh gas and 650KWh leccy.  In the last 2 years I’ve had a new boiler, double glazing and got rid of old inefficient lighting and electrical devices. Get a smartmeter too. They’re very good for detecting inefficient devices.

14 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Yip, 100% this.

We are a single income household, we get no benefits whatsoever and I've watched our disposable income shrink over the last year, and if the predicted energy increases for January/April etc come into effect, inflation, price of food, fuel etc, then I don't think we'll have any disposable income left, it'll be gone.   The JJ household won't be alone.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

:lol: My daughter does all that as well. I wake up with the light shining through the gaps and I like my room pitch black at night. Bathroom light, hall light, kitchen light aaaarrrggh haha! She has another infuriating habit of putting a wash on then leaving it for about a day and if I don’t notice to take it out she fires the machine back on to wash it again…

:seething: 

When they leave home permanently although you still love them you won’t miss them with that nonsense.

it used to drive me mad when they never replaced the toothpaste top as well.

As for toilet paper………

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

When they leave home permanently although you still love them you won’t miss them with that nonsense.

As for toilet paper………

She’s been away and she’s back :lol: 

dobmisterdobster
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Should life on UC be impossible? 

We live in a rich country, should everyone not be comfortable, with the rewards for work being obvious?

UC is supposed to be a stop-gap. Not a permanent thing.

joondalupjambo
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As for toilet paper………

And filling the kettle for one cup of coffee😃

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

I disagree Thor but if in your eyes me making sure my bills are paid facilitates it all then I’m okay with that. Gas & electricity in my house means a lot more than what someone else thinks. 😊

I worded that poorly mate. 

My point was that people like you and me will probably be able to tighten the belt or realise that these increases might well obliterate your disposable income in so much as it might stop you doing the stuff that makes life enjoyable.

Loads of people will be faced with a much starker choice.

Where people like you and me, who want to do the right thing, but are maybe doing the wrong thing is that this Shower will drive a wedge between those that can and those that can't. 

You'll see it on here already. Tighten your belt. Don't go on holiday. Get a better job. Get a second job. 

Whilst that's the case the imperative to tackle the structural problem behind this just isn't there because the silent middle will muddle along. 

The companies are ripping the pish and the government are supporting them to do so.

The Mighty Thor

If you get a chance listen to James O'Brien's show on catch up. The hour between 12pm -1pm is very very enlightening and blows planet sizes holes in the bullshit coming out of Spaffer's fat hole.

Basically eh had people call in from around Europe to tell him just how bad it is there.

Guess what?

Food is cheaper pro rata

Petrol/Diesel are cheaper pro rata

Energy is MILES cheaper pro rata, even in countries almost solely reliant on 'Putin's hydrocarbons' 

We are all being taken for mugs folks. Each and every one of us.