energy prices

Masonic

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Any word on the old chums meeting today?

Guaranteed they had the aircon on full blast. No expenses spared. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm not linking it to independence but you're quite right on the basic points.

You only need to look at the comparison between the UK and others regarding the percentage increase in energy costs.  Others have taken measures that the UK has not.  We were told we had to leave the EU to be able to take control of our own decisions.  It's the remaining EU members states getting things done that we are told are not possible to do.  

It is quite unprecedented neglect of duty and overt gangsterism.  Off the scale.  Yet no great media glare coming on them.  

Neglect and theft.

England is for sale .What's so dissapointing is the lack of foresight.

Now given the calibre of politicians we have just now you can understand that.

There seems to be no regard of duty .From us all to be fair.We as a population need to realise that tough times are ahead and need to grow up a bit from our childish demands.

That is a different topic.

I'm guessing you are more a Labour man which is the opposite from my own conservative views but Englands finished imo.

15 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Any word on the old chums meeting today?

Yes, the prawn sandwiches were lovely, the single estate java coffee was superb and they all enjoyed the Harvey Nichols chocolate biscuits.

As for the price of energy, when someone from the government mentioned the huge profits they were making, there was whole hearted laughter all round, one of the executives almost fell of his chair, apart from that, nothing else happened.

7 minutes ago, Ked said:

Neglect and theft.

England is for sale .What's so dissapointing is the lack of foresight.

Now given the calibre of politicians we have just now you can understand that.

There seems to be no regard of duty .From us all to be fair.We as a population need to realise that tough times are ahead and need to grow up a bit from our childish demands.

That is a different topic.

I'm guessing you are more a Labour man which is the opposite from my own conservative views but Englands finished imo.

Voted SNP in more recent times but yes,  a lapsed Labour voter.  And would vote Labour again in a heartbeat if they had a chance to win the constituency I'm in.

You're quite right.  The overall calibre of politician is abysmal.  But I still maintain that Labour would do a remarkable job,  almost by default,  if they got a chance.  It's not even that much to do with policy or ideology.  Simply a change in personnel and a fresh start with people who are not fundamentally flawed through years of unaccountable government can do wonders.  The Tories are no longer a government serving the country.  Every single one of them is there,  in whatever position they occupy,  just to be there at all.  Duty and the delivery of government driven by genuinely held beliefs is non-existent.  

Nobody should believe that Labour politicians are incapable of becoming similarly unaccountable,  in it for themselves,  stale,  disinterested.  They are.  But they simply should be awarded the chance to govern in the belief that they will begin by working on behalf of our interests.  The alternative is the acceptance of a perpetual one party system and dictatorship and,  very soon,  a return to a distinct society of the wealthy and peasants.  A neo class system.

The Mighty Thor

Who to believe?

2 different expert energy consultancies, one of whom called the last price cap increase bang on, or a guy who can barely string a sentence on a football forum 🤔

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

The media are scaremongering and probably affecting many less well off peoples mental health and well being - not many people will have bills of £4500 - £5000 

they need taken to task 

but hey make light of it bub 

What part of "average bill" don't you understand? 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

The media are scaremongering and probably affecting many less well off peoples mental health and well being - not many people will have bills of £4500 - £5000 

they need taken to task 

This is the first time you've actually proferred anything of note other than your usual trite trolling. I'm almost impressed.

When you say not many people will have bills of £4.5k - £5k, you miss the point that two thirds of families in the entire country will be in energy poverty come January. None of this is scaremongering to hard pressed families who will already have calculated their usage and potential short-fall. As I've already posted, bub.    

SectionDJambo

The Conservative Party are sleepwalking into an electoral disaster at the next election, which could very well come sooner than expected.

The arrogance of power of a long period in office will do for them again, as it did after Thatcher.

The current crisis in not entirely of their doing, but their inept reaction to it will be entirely of their own doing. No wonder Labour aren’t saying much, they don’t have to. 

Convincing a group of 160,000 party members isn’t going to see Truss get beyond October before she will be clearly seen to be completely out of her depth, just as Lavrov showed us.

She will be the scapegoat.

I think.

8 hours ago, Victorian said:

Voted SNP in more recent times but yes,  a lapsed Labour voter.  And would vote Labour again in a heartbeat if they had a chance to win the constituency I'm in.

You're quite right.  The overall calibre of politician is abysmal.  But I still maintain that Labour would do a remarkable job,  almost by default,  if they got a chance.  It's not even that much to do with policy or ideology.  Simply a change in personnel and a fresh start with people who are not fundamentally flawed through years of unaccountable government can do wonders.  The Tories are no longer a government serving the country.  Every single one of them is there,  in whatever position they occupy,  just to be there at all.  Duty and the delivery of government driven by genuinely held beliefs is non-existent.  

Nobody should believe that Labour politicians are incapable of becoming similarly unaccountable,  in it for themselves,  stale,  disinterested.  They are.  But they simply should be awarded the chance to govern in the belief that they will begin by working on behalf of our interests.  The alternative is the acceptance of a perpetual one party system and dictatorship and,  very soon,  a return to a distinct society of the wealthy and peasants.  A neo class system.

Maybe they should do their job as opposition first. Awarded for what? Not being the blue Tory. Red Tory light. Very easily persuaded and some call the Tory voter gullible.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe they should do their job as opposition first. Awarded for what? Not being the blue Tory. Red Tory light. Very easily persuaded and some call the Tory voter gullible.

The current thing (I refuse to call it government) is a holocaust.  It's a gang of pirates.  It will kill people through it's vile cruelty very soon.

There has to be a change.  Any alternative government = a good alternative,  simply by default of them not being the current gang of pirates.

11 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

they need taken to task 

While I agree about the media scaremongering I think you are wrong with your not many people comment. Come about October our bills will almost  certainly come into that range. 

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Im not saying it’s right or wrong but labour would borrow its way out of this. Short term compared to the current government I’d imagine they would do better for the immediate problems. 

The problem they seem to have is all their plans are a big secret. They should be shouting from the rooftops about what they would. As a bare minimum it may focus the minds of the current government. 

The Mighty Thor

Thick Lizzy's latest intervention?

No windfall taxes. They're anti-business. 

Starve and freeze you fecking peasants. 

37 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Im not saying it’s right or wrong but labour would borrow its way out of this. Short term compared to the current government I’d imagine they would do better for the immediate problems. 

The problem they seem to have is all their plans are a big secret. They should be shouting from the rooftops about what they would. As a bare minimum it may focus the minds of the current government. 

They're not a secret...they don't exist. This Labour party stands for nothing and they'd deliver nothing. People are just more tolerant of being screwed by incompetence rather than intent.

33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They're not a secret...they don't exist. This Labour party stands for nothing and they'd deliver nothing. People are just more tolerant of being screwed by incompetence rather than intent.

I would disagree that they stand for nothing. Over 9M people voted for Labour at the last GE with Corbyn at the helm. 

The present leader is an arsehole, that's clear, but I wouldn't, and won't, give up on the only party that can end this shit show.

The fully costed alternative plan is about to be released by Labour guys.  But how much media time will it get compared to the time spent on thd Tory leadership farce?  And how many people will bother their arse to read and consider it?

Plus.

Even if you discount plans,  shadow budgets,  visions,  policies,  etc.  Simply a change of personnel is urgently required.  It's that bad.  

Any change of personnel is a positive by default.  The current lot are merciless crooks and charlatans.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Plus.

Even if you discount plans,  shadow budgets,  visions,  policies,  etc.  Simply a change of personnel is urgently required.  It's that bad.  

Any change of personnel is a positive by default.  The current lot are merciless crooks and charlatans.

Even a Labour Party with Sir K would be much better than a cabel of criminals.

Just now, Boab said:

He’s that invisible we’d never know. 😂

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Best jibe I've heard about him is, he can't get into his local supermarket as the automatic doors don't recognise him !

Just now, Boab said:

Best jibe I've heard about him is, he can't get into his local supermarket as the automatic doors don't recognise him !

Decent and factual, I like it. 😂

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

While I agree about the media scaremongering I think you are wrong with your not many people comment. Come about October our bills will almost  certainly come into that range. 

Come January 2023, there will be many households in Britain whose second (behind rent) maybe even for some their highest monthly outgoing will be on their gas & electric bill/DD. 

For the JJ household it will be our second highest monthly outlay, behind our car, we are fortunate that we are rent/mortgage free.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Come January 2023, there will be many households in Britain whose second (behind rent) maybe even for some their highest monthly outgoing will be on their gas & electric bill/DD. 

For the JJ household it will be our second highest monthly outlay, behind our car, we are fortunate that we are rent/mortgage free.

Come January I would think the vast majority would fall into the category of their energy bill being in the top 2 monthly bills. I know we certainly will be. 

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

It's a sound premise.  Any change = a positive change by default.  Nothing good will happen for people under this lot.  They've given up attempting to appear interested.  Lurched severely to the right.  An appalling era will occur without a change.

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

A Labour front bencher was on the TV the other day, going on about Bojo et al being on holiday etc etc, so the presenter asked her where's Keir Starmer, um eh arr emm was the reply, presenter turned round and said we've heard plenty from Gordon Brown over the last week, but where's the current Labour leader, emm eh arr eh was the response.

This morning I heard on the news, that the government on holiday and Bojo is washing his hands of the cost of living crisis, that this should be a complete gift to the Labour party, but where is Keir Starmer, once again Labour have missed a golden opportunity to present themselves as a realistic alternative to the Tories.

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Come January I would think the vast majority would fall into the category of their energy bill being in the top 2 monthly bills. I know we certainly will be. 

Come October the JJ household will be in fuel poverty and by January I think more than half the country will be as well.

Truss is said to be a contrarian who wont listen to people,  even a consenus of opinion.  Someone who follows an instinct of political gain,  popularity,  short term advantage.  But who will pivot on the spot following the same instinct.  Basically a combination of the worst traits of the last two PMs.  She'll be an absolute walkover for the right wing zealots and predatory business.

manaliveits105

The interim government obviously aren't going to announce any measures until the new PM and cabinet are in place but are working on proposals behind the scenes .

The media and jkb obsessed seem incapable of understanding the rationale behind that but its pretty self evident .

Labour :rofl: are not an option 

SectionDJambo

The UK voted the Conservative Party into government at the last election. The party with the most MPs gets the power and it’s leader becomes PM as long as that winning party want him or her to be PM. The UK doesn’t do presidential style elections.

It is nonsense that a PM who has resigned and has, by his own admission, no power to propose legislation to overcome an emergency situation, should be allowed to stay in post past the day he resigned.

A caretaker PM should have been in place within no more than a week of Johnson resigning to take the responsibility of running the country until the Conservatives finally get round to coming up with a successor.

This is taking longer than a General Election campaign.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

I would disagree that they stand for nothing. Over 9M people voted for Labour at the last GE with Corbyn at the helm. 

I voted for them under Corbyn as they stood for something. I stand by that they don't now.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

The present leader is an arsehole, that's clear, but I wouldn't, and won't, give up on the only party that can end this shit show.

I've given up on them all.

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I voted for them under Corbyn as they stood for something. I stand by that they don't now.

I've given up on them all.

There is an alternative to all this. I think Labour are the only ones who can deliver it...that's a proper Labour of course. I'm not giving up. The more people are pushed, the more likely it may become. The unions are showing the way. Get rid of that spineless b*****d and it might happen.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

There is an alternative to all this. I think Labour are the only ones who can deliver it...that's a proper Labour of course. I'm not giving up. The more people are pushed, the more likely it may become. The unions are showing the way. Get rid of that spineless b*****d and it might happen.

I hope you're right. I'd love for polling day to come around and to feel confident that casting my vote was worthwhile and that I was voting for a party who could deliver not only what I'd like to see, but at least on what they'd promised.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

Blair ****ed the Labour party, turned it into Tory lite, even visually.

A good labour leader should be saying there's nothing wrong with being working class, there's nothing wrong with not having a degree, there's nothing wrong with being unskilled, unambitious, or unable to progress - the lowest rungs of common workers should still be able to earn a good wage, and to live a nice life. And we should be looking after those less fortunate in society.

Westminster works for shareholders, not workers.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A good labour leader should be saying there's nothing wrong with being working class, there's nothing wrong with not having a degree, there's nothing wrong with being unskilled, unambitious, or unable to progress - the lowest rungs of common workers should still be able to earn a good wage, and to live a nice life. And we should be looking after those less fortunate in society.

Great post. Apart from the bold bit.

Ultimately what might need to happen is some kind of political party shuffle and alliance.  A new centre ground comprising of Labour and LD.  Possibly even the Greens.  If left wing Labour don't like it then they can splinter off and go their own way.  The Tories habitually control a grip on the country with a minority of the vote share.  If the majority of a larger minority part want to take back the country from these crooks then it might require a new political landscape similar to that.

That thing you do
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ultimately what might need to happen is some kind of political party shuffle and alliance.  A new centre ground comprising of Labour and LD.  Possibly even the Greens.  If left wing Labour don't like it then they can splinter off and go their own way.  The Tories habitually control a grip on the country with a minority of the vote share.  If the majority of a larger minority part want to take back the country from these crooks then it might require a new political landscape similar to that.

Whats quite funny is if you do a policy spectrum analysis ie a scoring system based on all parties policies (rather than perception) this is what you get;

Very right: tories

Old tory right: Labour

Centrist left: LD

Bit more left: Greens

"A new centre ground of labour and LD" actually would come out as where SNP are now. They are just about bullseye centre

Not my opinion. It was part of an analysis of policies from a policy expert at University of Glasgow I took part in as part of studying for a doctorate.

3 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Whats quite funny is if you do a policy spectrum analysis ie a scoring system based on all parties policies (rather than perception) this is what you get;

Very right: tories

Old tory right: Labour

Centrist left: LD

Bit more left: Greens

"A new centre ground of labour and LD" actually would come out as where SNP are now. They are just about bullseye centre

Not my opinion. It was part of an analysis of policies from a policy expert at University of Glasgow I took part in as part of studying for a doctorate.

I dare say it's quite complicated.  Maybe it's just fantasy but maybe a new party could be created to meet public demand or from a campaign.  The majority,  or a different minority have to take back the country.

Take back control,  you might say.

31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Agree, but there was a chance to reverse Blair's Labour back to what it should be. 

I think it may come to pass but at a terrible price to the people. I think we are on that trajectory. How low do we have to go before it becomes apparent to all that we are being fleesed ?

doctor jambo
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Agree, but there was a chance to reverse Blair's Labour back to what it should be. 

I think it may come to pass but at a terrible price to the people. I think we are on that trajectory. How low do we have to go before it becomes apparent to all that we are being fleesed ?

Labour needs the Scot’s and northern England back.

without that it’s eternal Tory rule, and that also means no independence. End of.

A decent labour can retake the north, and no doubt will, Without Scot’s mps though, that’s where they will be stuck.

Scotland has a great history of providing chancellors, PM s etc .

It could again if we had a political class up here who would engage with improving the UK.

Im voting labour, and if people want realistic change that’s what others will have to do.

Voting snp guarantees Tory rule.

it guarantees no ref and no Indy and no change.

you are voting for stalemate 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

without that it’s eternal Tory rule, and that also means no independence. End of.

A decent labour can retake the north, and no doubt will, Without Scot’s mps though, that’s where they will be stuck.

It could again if we had a political class up here who would engage with improving the UK.

Im voting labour, and if people want realistic change that’s what others will have to do.

You've obviously missed the literally dozens of posts absolutely dismantling the vote SNP get Tories strawman argument. 

Labour will be stuck by the fact that they've spent 12 years not landing a blow on the criminal Junta, all the while using a mirror on a stick to view their own fundament. 

Vote whoever you want, if the racists decide they want the Tories then we get the Tories. T'was ever thus. 

Relax it's only media scaremongering (according to some), but Auxilione have updated their prediction from just 24 hrs ago.

The new amount (for average bills) Auxilione says, if the wholesale price doesn't fall soon, will be £5,277 come April.

This will mean households earning under £53,000 will be in fuel poverty.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/claudia-webbe-rishi-sunak-graham-vat-conservative-b1018196.html

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

The UK voted the Conservative Party into government at the last election. The party with the most MPs gets the power and it’s leader becomes PM as long as that winning party want him or her to be PM. The UK doesn’t do presidential style elections.

It is nonsense that a PM who has resigned and has, by his own admission, no power to propose legislation to overcome an emergency situation, should be allowed to stay in post past the day he resigned.

A caretaker PM should have been in place within no more than a week of Johnson resigning to take the responsibility of running the country until the Conservatives finally get round to coming up with a successor.

This is taking longer than a General Election campaign.

Just goes to show the country runs itself in between the elected criminals that rob us.....!

20 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Present and past governments have been too busy filling their pockets.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Great post. Apart from the bold bit.

No, there's nothing wrong with being satisfied with your lot in life. 

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Relax it's only media scaremongering (according to some), but Auxilione have updated their prediction from just 24 hrs ago.

The new amount (for average bills) Auxilione says, if the wholesale price doesn't fall soon, will be £5,277 come April.

This will mean households earning under £53,000 will be in fuel poverty.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/claudia-webbe-rishi-sunak-graham-vat-conservative-b1018196.html

Surely it's dependent on how much you use? There's not a cat's he'll in chance I'll be using the same amounts as I normally do, due to the cost.