energy prices

Masonic

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

E.on have just announced that they made a £3.47bn profit in the last 6 months.

So everybody who has an E.on account the bosses and shareholders thank you.

I have no problems with companies making a profit, however when more and more people are falling into debt with their energy company and that number will explode during the winter, it's just wrong that they are making such huge profits.

Theres making a profit then theres greed, these greedy companies have to be sorted out.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Theres making a profit then theres greed, these greedy companies have to be sorted out.

I would imagine they will be once the new prime minister and cabinet is in place 

manaliveits105
14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Are they not saying per household rather than per body?

It surely depends on size of house - someone in a 1 bedroom flat is not going to be paying anywhere near £4200 

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

E.on have just announced that they made a £3.47bn profit in the last 6 months.

So everybody who has an E.on account the bosses and shareholders thank you.

I have no problems with companies making a profit, however when more and more people are falling into debt with their energy company and that number will explode during the winter, it's just wrong that they are making such huge profits.

There really needs to be a breakdown of these profits. Let’s see how much these companies are making from electricity and gas meters. 

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

The thing that galls me the most is that the Tories are sustained in power,  mostly by a certain section of society who are in some way less profoundly affected by these inflationary pressures.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortably off or having a better income than the worst off.  There is no argument there and never should be.  But these people enable the Tories and it's them who currently oversee the economy and clearly doing nowhere near enough to help the people who are critically affected by these kinds of basic needs costs.  And when the government eventually gets it's arse in gear to provide support packages,  the people who tend to sustain the government are there,  loud and proud,  demanding their share of the giveaways.  

For what?  To be able to eat?  To not freeze?  To pay the rent or to afford to travel to work?  No.  To simply retain more of their disposable income or accumulated wealth.  And people like Truss enable it in return by being a one trick pony.  That everything can be mitigated by tax cuts,  while continuing to ignore the people who cannot benefit from tax cuts.  The people who can't afford the basics.

Our society is based on cruelty and wickedness.

So people shouldn’t vote for the party who they think does the best by them ? We should vote for the greater good ? 

That will never catch on and the snp would be out of power up here. 

2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

It surely depends on size of house - someone in a 1 bedroom flat is not going to be paying anywhere near £4200 

£4200 will be the average, some will pay less than this, some will pay more, just as they do now, as you say depending on the size of house, how many people live in that house, insulation or lack off, how much they have the heating on etc etc etc.

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

There really needs to be a breakdown of these profits. Let’s see how much these companies are making from electricity and gas meters. 

I'm sure it probably will be, somewhere.

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Depends how much fuel they use I guess. I'm in a 1 bed flat but it's open plan and has a double height ceiling so it costs a bomb to heat...so I'll be layering up instead in this winter.

I take your point though...and I'd also add that split between two people that's less than £200 a month so whilst still extortionate, it's not quite as eye watering as it's portrayed.

That said, whether you're a pound short, or a thousand pounds short, it doesn't really matter.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I would imagine they will be once the new prime minister and cabinet is in place 

No they won't.

Tory ideology. Free market ecomomy. restricting the companies ability to make profits is not very conservative comrade. 

WorldChampions1902
9 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

So everybody is going to be paying £4200 for their energy bills according to the daily news scaremongers - hmmmmm ?

Bullshit ! 

Cornwall Insight are the analysts whose projections are being quoted by the media and they have a good track record on this topic. Cornwall are also predicting that average household energy bills will hit £4430 by April next year, given that we have now moved to quarterly Price Cap reviews.

Many will be cancelling next years staycation, as they won’t have a pot to p**s in.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

:rofl:

48 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thousands of people in debt with their energy already, (its summer), big shock not, wait till the winter.

BBC just said that £1.3bn is owed to the energy suppliers, which is 3 times higher than last year and more worryingly some 8 million households have no credit balance at all, and this is the summer, they are going to be right up shit creek come the winter.

A lot of people are going to die this winter because of rising energy prices, some through not being able to heat their homes, and others by suicide as they'll be in so much debt, they'll see it as the only way out.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

And that go for Wales anaw. Scotland and Wales produce 30%(Combined) of the electricity, with  a population of 14%(combined).

England produce 72% with a population of 83% . They can have the power cuts.

Scotland down from 16 to 14,  Wales up from 11 to 13. England 70 and NI 3. 

%of electricity production in the uk. Scotland moving to renewables. 

The Mighty Thor

Folks on the radio this morning saying that the don't pay campaign is dangerous as it will impact your credit rating.

I'm sure that's the very first thing that people who cannot afford to feed themselves and their families or heat their homes this winter are thinking.

Do folks not get that some people will have nothing. WTF are they going to buy on credit with nothing?

13 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Cornwall Insight are the analysts whose projections are being quoted by the media and they have a good track record on this topic. Cornwall are also predicting that average household energy bills will hit £4430 by April next year, given that we have now moved to quarterly Price Cap reviews.

Many will be cancelling next years staycation, as they won’t have a pot to p**s in.

Changing the cap to 3 months is basically, after being kicked in the balls, then being kicked in the head as you go down !

Disgrace.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Folks on the radio this morning saying that the don't pay campaign is dangerous as it will impact your credit rating.

I'm sure that's the very first thing that people who cannot afford to feed themselves and their families or heat their homes this winter are thinking.

Do folks not get that some people will have nothing. WTF are they going to buy on credit with nothing?

I know you like to deal in extremes but bad credit will force people onto more expensive prepaid meters. Not a great idea I wouldn’t have thought. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I know you like to deal in extremes but bad credit will force people onto more expensive prepaid meters. Not a great idea I wouldn’t have thought. 

Mate it's not going to be a choice for some people, they literally will not have the money to pay, or eat or do anything. 

I'm quite sure they won't be worrying about being able to buy a sofa from DFS anytime soon. 

There's an understanding gap in existence on this. A lot of people and particularly those sitting in Westminster are viewing this through a lens of never having had a hungry day. It's not a cutting back of life's little luxuries here, it's survival. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Mate it's not going to be a choice for some people, they literally will not have the money to pay, or eat or do anything. 

I'm quite sure they won't be worrying about being able to buy a sofa from DFS anytime soon. 

There's an understanding gap in existence on this. A lot of people and particularly those sitting in Westminster are viewing this through a lens of never having had a hungry day. It's not a cutting back of life's little luxuries here, it's survival. 

I was meaning the people wilfully deciding not to pay as the campaign suggests. Not the smartest move imo. 

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I was meaning the people wilfully deciding not to pay as the campaign suggests. Not the smartest move imo. 

The majority of those taking part in this protest are cancelling direct debits and submitting bills monthly as far as i'm aware. 

I've cancelled mine and will pay the bills as they come in.

I'm currently fighting with my supplier to get the £1100 i'm in credit back into my account. 

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The majority of those taking part in this protest are cancelling direct debits and submitting bills monthly as far as i'm aware. 

I'm currently fighting with my supplier to get the £1100 i'm in credit back into my account. 

Spoke about this earlier in the thread. My previous supplier had an option online to alter your DD, depending on how much you were in credit. I reduced mine before the move to another company. I'm glad I did. Still waiting to see if the new supplier will offer the same facility. I hope they do as I'd rather finance my energy usage to suit the seasons, rather than have those shysters have it in their tail.

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Im similar amount in credit but it will soon be wiped out so not sure it’s worth the hassle trying to get it back for 2 or 3 months. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Im similar amount in credit but it will soon be wiped out so not sure it’s worth the hassle trying to get it back for 2 or 3 months. 

Possibly not. For us it works for us to take control of what we pay as our DD was set based on historical usage and I can guarantee that this winter's usage will be very different to previous years.

No more cutting about the house in shorts with the heating on for me! We've also shelled on a nest system to control the heating a bit better too. 

18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I'm giving them hee-haw, D. By that, I mean having my money sitting in credit in their account.
If it means going in and changing the DD a few times, so be it. They are already making a mint, a bit of hassle is the least I can do.

Edited by Boab

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this generation - all of us, those of a certain age?

It's not that important I suppose.

It's pretty universal, when there isn't enough in the bank for eating and heating, people get desperate, and angry.

Well there's generally a typical demographic who attend demonstrations/protests etc. typically it is under 35's.

I don't believe those under 35 have it in them to go after the government in a manner that'll get their attention. I think there'll be a lot of talk, a lot of bluster but ultimately nothing will be done on the scale to get them to act.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well there's generally a typical demographic who attend demonstrations/protests etc. typically it is under 35's.

I don't believe those under 35 have it in them to go after the government in a manner that'll get their attention. I think there'll be a lot of talk, a lot of bluster but ultimately nothing will be done on the scale to get them to act.

Ok I'm with you.

Like I say though, this isn't some Down With This Sort Of Thing type principled stand. This is people of all ages facing genuine hardship over winter because the government will protect shareholders over the poor.

People will die (more than usual I mean!) because they can't afford to exist.

Could you live off £167.46 landing in your account twice a month? Pay your bills, buy your food, power your home, get winter clothes, exist? 

Now imagine that in winter, and you're only allowed pay as you go meters.

People don't get the scale of what's coming.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Ok I'm with you.

Like I say though, this isn't some Down With This Sort Of Thing type principled stand. This is people of all ages facing genuine hardship over winter because the government will protect shareholders over the poor.

Could you live off £167.46 landing in your account twice a month? Pay your bills, buy your food, power your home, get winter clothes, exist? 

I hope I'm proved wrong.

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

FFS! :rofl: :rofl: 

The Old Tolbooth

How about this for a brexit benefit. The EU price cap on gas is 43.99 Euros per mega watt hour. The UK is £263.79 per mega watt hour. Remind me, who does our Gov't represent?

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Yep agree and think more windfall taxes are coming, maybe.  Eon profit is Europe wide and only a mere 300m from the UK.  I have no idea if that is a lot or what that is in terms of how much more than they usually make in the UK.

Benny Factor

This is part of the email I received from Sainsbury's Energy the other day.

We currently pay £138 per month for gas and electricity combined, and have a debit balance of £67(which will be wiped out after this month as we're currently only using around £72 per month.

They want me to pay over £319 to put the account into credit, despite the additional £66/67 going on between October and March. 

Ermmmmm.... how about no! :)

image_2022-08-10_100101878.png

JudyJudyJudy
47 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Possibly not. For us it works for us to take control of what we pay as our DD was set based on historical usage and I can guarantee that this winter's usage will be very different to previous years.

No more cutting about the house in shorts with the heating on for me! We've also shelled on a nest system to control the heating a bit better too. 

It’s even worse for those who have health issues who are more impacted due to the cold weather . They have no choice to turn the heating off or down really .  Or couple that with those still working from home too. ! Both of those describe me . I’ll be able to afford any rise but many in a similar position to me may not , if your on relying on benefits , particularly just UC you will definitely be in dire straights . 

50 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

37 minutes ago, Boab said:

I'm giving them hee-haw, D. By that, I mean having my money sitting in credit in their account.
If it means going in and changing the DD a few times, so be it. They are already making a mint, a bit of hassle is the least I can do.

Completely understand that. 👍

Incidentally what is the discount for paying by DD ? I don’t even know if it such a thing any more or any significant amount. 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ok I'm with you.

Those pay as you go meters have always been a rip off 

15 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Completely understand that. 👍

Incidentally what is the discount for paying by DD ? I don’t even know if it such a thing any more or any significant amount. 

Not sure, D.

Paying by DD, online account with paperless bills was the cheapest way to pay in the past, according to my supplier. Not sure what the saving is mind. 

I'm really starting to consider contacting Bulb to cancel my DD and just go to pay monthly as the bill comes in, that way I'm only paying for what energy I've used, not for energy that I might use in 6 months time and all that credit is sitting in their account.

From what I've read about the options on their website I could either pay by cash at the PO or by debit card online through my account, I have to say this is starting to appeal to me far more than paying for energy in advance that you might never use.

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

So people shouldn’t vote for the party who they think does the best by them ? We should vote for the greater good ? 

That will never catch on and the snp would be out of power up here. 

Not what I said.  I was crystal clear.  Vote for whoever you want.  But the people who benefit from a Tory government have no moral business to demand any share of the financial support being handed out.  Not a single penny.  Everything should be supporting the least well off.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm really starting to consider contacting Bulb to cancel my DD and just go to pay monthly as the bill comes in, that way I'm only paying for what energy I've used, not for energy that I might use in 6 months time and all that credit is sitting in their account.

From what I've read about the options on their website I could either pay by cash at the PO or by debit card online through my account, I have to say this is starting to appeal to me far more than paying for energy in advance that you might never use.

I’m thinking of doing the same . It makes sense really and the discount for paying direct debit is negligible really 

The Mighty Thor
27 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s even worse for those who have health issues who are more impacted due to the cold weather . They have no choice to turn the heating off or down really .  Or couple that with those still working from home too. ! Both of those describe me . I’ll be able to afford any rise but many in a similar position to me may not , if your on relying on benefits , particularly just UC you will definitely be in dire straights . 

I totally understand that.

It's really hard not to catastrophise all this or come across as being doom laden. 

I can probably afford to keep paying my bills at the moment but who know where we'll all be once the coming recession starts to bite. 

What bothers me is the apparent lack of empathy from many of our fellow citizens and particularly those sitting in Government to those who are already toiling and who will be facing decisions that nobody living in the worlds 6th largest economy, Global Britain, should be facing in 2022.

What's the plan? Invite the energy companies in for tea and biscuits and a cosy chat about how they can appear to be doing something while retaining the multi billion monthly profits. 

It's 'don't look up' for these wankers. 

Let us amplify the point in order to help out folk like Dazo and anyone else who finds difficulties in concentrating on points being made.

If you stand to benefit from a Tory government then vote Tory.  Crack on and get the benefit of it.  But do not wade in and demand a share of the financial support that's needed by people in abject poverty who do not benefit from Tory government.

That's the sickener in all of this.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not what I said.  I was crystal clear.  Vote for whoever you want.  But the people who benefit from a Tory government have no moral business to demand any share of the financial support being handed out.  Not a single penny.  Everything should be supporting the least well off.

Have you ever thought that not everyone  who votes (or has voted Tory) is absolutely loaded? Not a criticism or an endorsement of that party from me but, I think it's a bit blinkered to presume everyone who votes Tory is well off and everyone who is financially poorer votes Labour. 

Shooter McGavin
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Let us amplify the point in order to help out folk like Dazo and anyone else who finds difficulties in concentrating on points being made.

If you stand to benefit from a Tory government then vote Tory.  Crack on and get the benefit of it.  But do not wade in and demand a share of the financial support that's needed by people in abject poverty who do not benefit from Tory government.

That's the sickener in all of this.

Unfortunately, that level of common sense cannot be comprehended by some on here.

1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

Have you ever thought that not everyone  who votes (or has voted Tory) is absolutely loaded? Not a criticism or an endorsement of that party from me but, I think it's a bit blinkered to presume everyone who votes Tory is well off and everyone who is financially poorer votes Labour. 

Every support pound is needed at the bottom of the scale.  Every single pound.  That is my basic premise.  It will go to buying food and to heat homes.  Support further up the scale tends to incrementally sustain disposable income for non-essentials.  Which,  at this juncture,  is wasted support.

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I totally understand that.

It's really hard not to catastrophise all this or come across as being doom laden. 

I can probably afford to keep paying my bills at the moment but who know where we'll all be once the coming recession starts to bite. 

What bothers me is the apparent lack of empathy from many of our fellow citizens and particularly those sitting in Government to those who are already toiling and who will be facing decisions that nobody living in the worlds 6th largest economy, Global Britain, should be facing in 2022.

What's the plan? Invite the energy companies in for tea and biscuits and a cosy chat about how they can appear to be doing something while retaining the multi billion monthly profits. 

It's 'don't look up' for these wankers. 

Yes I said I should be able to afford bills but you just never know what is around the corner really . My health could really take a nose dive and I’d then have to rely on benefits,  you Just never know . 

Still seems to be just enough of the “right “ people not affected  ( Tory voters. Or potential voters ( yet. ) to affect Govt policy and support yet, but as you say once the winter comes in the effects will then be known . Hopefully there will be no

option for the Govt not to intervene , I won’t hold my breath though . 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Imaman said:

It will be more can’t pay than won’t pay when this all kicks in. 

Correct, it will be a choice of heating or eating for some, shocking choice in 2022.

4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Correct, it will be a choice of heating or eating for some, shocking choice in 2022.

For a lot it won’t be just a choice. Some will have to do without both 😞

The Old Tolbooth
25 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I can't remember who said it, but to vote Tory, you either need a six figure bank balance, or a single digit IQ. 

1 hour ago, Professor Frink said:

image.jpeg.ae5ed6cdf576b51e9fb2017d6c090f23.jpeg

The figure about is complete BS, because it's not for the next 12 months from October, it's only 3 months, as we already know the price cap increases again in January and maybe even in April, therefore the above amount won't be anyway near enough to get your account back on track over the next 12 months, and your supplier will know that.

My last energy bill was for half my DD payment 

Currently sitting in just over £400 in credit which I could really use now but ultimately like others....I know it's technically a savings account for when that boiler gets switched on in a few months. Hope EON buy something nice for themselves with the interest.