energy prices

Masonic

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Folks on the radio this morning saying that the don't pay campaign is dangerous as it will impact your credit rating.

I'm sure that's the very first thing that people who cannot afford to feed themselves and their families or heat their homes this winter are thinking.

Do folks not get that some people will have nothing. WTF are they going to buy on credit with nothing?

Don't think anyone is suggesting they outright refuse to pay, just cancelled their DD and then pay Quarterly or whenever they end the bill. Notnsure many folk realise that they'll still need to pau that DD money away as their next bill will be significantly higher than their monthly payments. They'll also lose any DD discount applied which can be 8%. 

1 hour ago, Professor Frink said:

This is part of the email I received from Sainsbury's Energy the other day.

We currently pay £138 per month for gas and electricity combined, and have a debit balance of £67(which will be wiped out after this month as we're currently only using around £72 per month.

They want me to pay over £319 to put the account into credit, despite the additional £66/67 going on between October and March. 

Ermmmmm.... how about no! :)

image_2022-08-10_100101878.png

Sounds okay to me. Your current payments won't cover the price rise cost so they are suggesting you either pay a balance now and have lower DD or spread the cost over a £35 higher DD for the rest of the year.

Other than the extortionate prices to start with they aren't trying to con you out of extra money.

Edited by hughesie27

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not what I said.  I was crystal clear.  Vote for whoever you want.  But the people who benefit from a Tory government have no moral business to demand any share of the financial support being handed out.  Not a single penny.  Everything should be supporting the least well off.

Regardless of your vote if you need the help you should get it. If you contribute and are entitled then I don’t think morals come into to be honest. Everything should be spent on the least well off ? What about everyone in the middle who contribute the most ? 

33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Every support pound is needed at the bottom of the scale.  Every single pound.  That is my basic premise.  It will go to buying food and to heat homes.  Support further up the scale tends to incrementally sustain disposable income for non-essentials.  Which,  at this juncture,  is wasted support.

The £400 we are all getting is welcome but the help for those most needing help has to be increased by more than the, I think, £650 that is available for the most vulnerable. The gov has to do it, no choice, the alternatives are horrendous.

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Regardless of your vote if you need the help you should get it. If you contribute and are entitled then I don’t think morals come into to be honest. Everything should be spent on the least well off ? What about everyone in the middle who contribute the most ? 

They..well us…should contribute to help the least well off. In my world anyway, D.

That’s why I don’t vote Tory and, the opposite view is why some people do frankly.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Boab said:

The £400 we are all getting is welcome but the help for those most needing help has to be increased by more than the, I think, £650 that is available for the most vulnerable. The gov has to do it, no choice, the alternatives are horrendous.

Half of that's been paid out, the other half to come in October.

No one's turning their nose up at it I'm sure, but it's an absolute nothing in the grand scheme of things.

And that absolute nothing represents more than 15% of a year's universal credit for a single person over 25!

Ainsley Harriott

Imagine we hadn't paid people to sit at home watching Netflix during covid we would have loads of flex to help everyone out.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Imagine we hadn't paid people to sit at home watching Netflix during covid we would have loads of flex to help everyone out.

It's a shame you doubled down on the prick thing

16 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I'm not going to be able to convince you so wont labour the point.  But as you go up the scale,  people begin to have more abilities to conduct their own economising.  Those at the bottom are already in the position of not being able to afford the bare minimum essentials.  I'm never going to budge from the belief that the support money has to be targetted towards people who need it for basic essentials and who have no ability to make economic choices.

Relative contributions is utterly irrelevant imo.

Edited by Victorian

Ainsley Harriott
18 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Everyone's having their income impacted so help should be across the board. Tax and NI cuts are the fairest and quickest way to deliver that. Oh and if you don't pay into the system why would you expect anything out.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Everyone's having their income impacted so help should be across the board. Tax and NI cuts are the fairest and quickest way to deliver that. Oh and if you don't pay into the system why would you expect anything out.

Because the government's meant to look after the lowest rungs, it's their job.

Massaging the crotches of large shareholders isn't.

Ainsley Harriott
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Because the government's meant to look after the lowest rungs, it's their job.

Massaging the crotches of large shareholders isn't.

Meant to look after everyone. 

Unknown user
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Meant to look after everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Oh and if you don't pay into the system why would you expect anything out.

Jeffros Furios
19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a shame you doubled down on the prick thing

The guy is an arsehole .

The chairman of Utilita Derek Likorish has just painted a very bleak picture of what is to come.

He gave an example that in 2020 £50 of energy would last about 10 to 11 days, when the price cap comes in October that £50 will last 3 and a half days and if the price cap goes up again in January that £50 will last you 2.8 days.  I have no idea what useage he's based this on, but it's fecking grim no matter what.

He also said that they have had a 140% increase of calls where people just can't pay their bills, and it's summer he said, what is it going to be like in winter. 

He wants a social tariff brought in, and that would be the maximum that the poorest pay, but everybody would be shielded against rising bills to some degree.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The chairman of Utilita Derek Likorish has just painted a very bleak picture of what is to come.

He gave an example that in 2020 £50 of energy would last about 10 to 11 days, when the price cap comes in October that £50 will last 3 and a half days and if the price cap goes up again in January that £50 will last you 2.8 days.  I have no idea what useage he's based this on, but it's fecking grim no matter what.

He also said that they have had a 140% increase of calls where people just can't pay their bills, and it's summer he said, what is it going to be like in winter. 

He wants a social tariff brought in, and that would be the maximum that the poorest pay, but everybody would be shielded against rising bills to some degree.

Abysmal situation to get into.

Fewer people would have been facing the worst effects of this situation if our social and economic settlement had been fairer in the past.  This is what happens when you leave people teetering on the poverty line as a default position.  Along comes an extreme situation and wallop.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Aye but wit about the shareholders!!!

It's about time essential services like water and gas/electricity was re-nationalised. Private companies are run for profit and not just to provide a service. Corbyn was bang on the money.....!

46 minutes ago, Boab said:

They..well us…should contribute to help the least well off. In my world anyway, D.

That’s why I don’t vote Tory and, the opposite view is why some people do frankly.

Absolutely Boab we should help, I’m saying people in the middle shoukd still get help if they need it, even Tory voters. 😊

Benny Factor
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Don't think anyone is suggesting they outright refuse to pay, just cancelled their DD and then pay Quarterly or whenever they end the bill. Notnsure many folk realise that they'll still need to pau that DD money away as their next bill will be significantly higher than their monthly payments. They'll also lose any DD discount applied which can be 8%. 

Sounds okay to me. Your current payments won't cover the price rise cost so they are suggesting you either pay a balance now and have lower DD or spread the cost over a £35 higher DD for the rest of the year.

Other than the extortionate prices to start with they aren't trying to con you out of extra money.

Sorry, should have mentioned that the price increase doesn't affect me as I'm on a fixed-rate deal until October 2023.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Every support pound is needed at the bottom of the scale.  Every single pound.  That is my basic premise.  It will go to buying food and to heat homes.  Support further up the scale tends to incrementally sustain disposable income for non-essentials.  Which,  at this juncture,  is wasted support.

I agree with you on where the support is needed but from a politicians point of view, especially a Tory one direct or indirect support to their supporters at this difficult time is not wasted it is a vote winner.  If the Tories only give to those that need it most the beneficiaries will be seen by many Tory voters as wasters and scroungers and they will get the hump.  By spreading out the support to all, regardless of need the votes remain intact.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

People should just get better paid jobs. 🤷‍♂️

Sure I heard that somewhere…

Rachel MacLean, Safeguarding Minister said it and also said that working more hours would help.  She did clarify that this strategy would only work for some people.  Back in May she said this, bet she is eating her words a bit now as the crisis worsens, maybe not though.  

1 hour ago, Boab said:

See this £400 , will that go to me or my landlord?

Ainsley Harriott
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Goes to your energy company and they then discount your bills by 60/65 per month through the winter 

This could possibly cause more harm than covid. The stress alone may cause some folk to do themselves some serious harm.

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Goes to your energy company and they then discount your bills by 60/65 per month through the winter 

I'm pay as you go. 

I heard something about tokens.

Edited by ri Alban

42 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Funny how no one was complaining about shareholders when the bills were lower. These companies were still making billions then. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

another woeful effort. 1/10

stick to the nazi pictures. 

The Old Tolbooth
32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Usually the energy provider, but not sure how it works with you being PAYG, however the energy companies are so damn greedy that with their October price hike, they're literally taking away all the government help for themselves, so no one is going to be any better off! 

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

People should just get better paid jobs. 🤷‍♂️

Sure I heard that somewhere…

You did indeed. 

Out the mouth of a minister in a rare slip of the mask, say what you actually think moment. 

The Junta and their hard of thought supporters firmly believe that if you are poor then it's your fault. You're obviously lazy. 

imagine making the effort to go to the polling station to vote for people like that?

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Funny how no one was complaining about shareholders when the bills were lower. These companies were still making billions then. 

Aye funny that.  But lower bills were less of a problem.  And shareholders of huge business interests tend to include pension funds who invest in companies in order to generate growth to service pension schemes,  which is a necessary and good thing.  The issue now is that people can't afford their bills for food,  cooking and heating.  Which is more important than the pension health of richer people who can afford to eat,  cook and have heat.

Got it now?  No.  You never will.

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Is it funny?

Or is it irrelevant?

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

It's about time essential services like water and gas/electricity was re-nationalised. Private companies are run for profit and not just to provide a service. Corbyn was bang on the money.....!

Yes the best prime minister we never had 

Let us amplify once more...

These companies have always made profits,  which is good.  That's how the economy works.  But these companies currently generate excess profits via market forces on the unit price.  These are windfall profits that require to be subjected to suitable taxation in order to finance the government to provide financial support to the people worst affected by the market price.

Wonder if we're getting through.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Love to know what they are creaming of the monies coming in, no doubt have big mortgages to service, wonder if they get

cheaper lecky.

Edited by Harry Potter

Ainsley Harriott
24 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

another woeful effort. 1/10

stick to the nazi pictures. 

Still on about that. Must have really touched a nerve 😅

59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm pay as you go. 

It comes directly off your bills as far as I’m aware.

can’t be giving it directly to the proles…they’ll only buy beer and fags with it !

🥴

52 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I was. Should be nationalised.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely Boab we should help, I’m saying people in the middle shoukd still get help if they need it, even Tory voters. 😊

We are, D. Four hundred sheets.

Had my renewal through today. 3x more than I currently pay per month. And apparently that's one of the best existing customer deals around! 😳

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

It comes directly off your bills as far as I’m aware.

can’t be giving it directly to the proles…they’ll only buy beer and fags with it !

🥴

That's exactly what I would do with it.    Wait a minute.... :thinking2:

joondalupjambo

Resy easy boys and girls some Tory Minister, see post above has confirmed that the heads of the energy companies have been "hauled into a meeting" to explain the high profits.  What he means they were asked nicely to attend a chat over coffee to discuss best process of getting the kick backs to the off shore accounts of the elite.  Hauled in, aye right.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, joondalupjambo said:

Resy easy boys and girls some Tory Minister, see post above has confirmed that the heads of the energy companies have been "hauled into a meeting" to explain the high profits.  What he means they were asked nicely to attend a chat over coffee to discuss best process of getting the kick backs to the off shore accounts of the elite.  Hauled in, aye right.

It’s absolutely laughable.

Mugs on this forum fall for it.

Gullible is putting it mildly.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm pay as you go. 

Does this cover you then?

"But those using traditional or "non-smart" pre-payment devices will instead receive a discount voucher in the first week of each month, either via text, email or in the post. Homeowners will then need to redeem these in person at their usual top-up point".