energy prices

Masonic

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There are going to be riots at this rate. Maybe putting a few windows in will make the government wake up 

I don't think this generation have it in them to riot/protest about such issues tbh.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I don't think this generation have it in them to riot/protest about such issues tbh.

The thing about energy is it affects everyone. It's a wide demographic ( with the emphasis on “ wide “ )

27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Tbh I think you might be right, but the sentiment is there and if the government cannot sort the energy crisis and folk are pushed to financial ruin, I can see bad stuff happening to the people deemed responsible. 

Truss is an idiot and already trying to explain away why they won’t do anything, so this is only going to get worse. 

Psychedelicropcircle

I see there’s a group who are cancelling their DD on 1.10.22 apparently now 80000+ 

hope that keeps on increasing in numbers! 

Not my thing but I don’t disagree with this. 

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, Boab said:

The thing about energy is it affects everyone. It's a wide demographic ( with the emphasis on “ wide “ )

Yes it affects everybody. 

I've never been on a protest in my life, however I'd seriously consider one now, why, because this can't go on, people just simply don't have the money anylonger.

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes it affects everybody. 

I've never been on a protest in my life, however I'd seriously consider one now, why, because this can't go on, people just simply don't have the money anylonger.

Indeed. It's an issue unlike anything else that would result in protests.

I can see another “ sweetener “ if the wee guy gets the gig. If dopey gets it, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if her life was made pretty uncomfortable.

Edited by Boab

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You just know it’ll be the coldest winter on record as well.

Nothing surer.

Absolutely grim. 😭

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, Boab said:

Indeed. It's an issue unlike anything else that would result in protests.

I can see another “ sweetener “ if the wee guy gets the gig. If dopey gets it, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if her life was made pretty uncomfortable.

Tbh I think it's a poisoned chalice no matter who gets the job. 

In some ways it's a pity that the shit fest in the coming months isn't going to be laid at BoJo's door and that either Truss or Sunak are going to be the fall guys.

The thing that galls me the most is that the Tories are sustained in power,  mostly by a certain section of society who are in some way less profoundly affected by these inflationary pressures.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortably off or having a better income than the worst off.  There is no argument there and never should be.  But these people enable the Tories and it's them who currently oversee the economy and clearly doing nowhere near enough to help the people who are critically affected by these kinds of basic needs costs.  And when the government eventually gets it's arse in gear to provide support packages,  the people who tend to sustain the government are there,  loud and proud,  demanding their share of the giveaways.  

For what?  To be able to eat?  To not freeze?  To pay the rent or to afford to travel to work?  No.  To simply retain more of their disposable income or accumulated wealth.  And people like Truss enable it in return by being a one trick pony.  That everything can be mitigated by tax cuts,  while continuing to ignore the people who cannot benefit from tax cuts.  The people who can't afford the basics.

Our society is based on cruelty and wickedness.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tbh I think it's a poisoned chalice no matter who gets the job. 

In some ways it's a pity that the shit fest in the coming months isn't going to be laid at BoJo's door and that either Truss or Sunak are going to be the fall guys.

His buffoon  persona was perfected over many years. A nasty piece of work. A curse, well another curse, last one was shite, on him !

JudyJudyJudy
42 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The thing that galls me the most is that the Tories are sustained in power,  mostly by a certain section of society who are in some way less profoundly affected by these inflationary pressures.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortably off or having a better income than the worst off.  There is no argument there and never should be.  But these people enable the Tories and it's them who currently oversee the economy and clearly doing nowhere near enough to help the people who are critically affected by these kinds of basic needs costs.  And when the government eventually gets it's arse in gear to provide support packages,  the people who tend to sustain the government are there,  loud and proud,  demanding their share of the giveaways.  

For what?  To be able to eat?  To not freeze?  To pay the rent or to afford to travel to work?  No.  To simply retain more of their disposable income or accumulated wealth.  And people like Truss enable it in return by being a one trick pony.  That everything can be mitigated by tax cuts,  while continuing to ignore the people who cannot benefit from tax cuts.  The people who can't afford the basics.

Our society is based on cruelty and wickedness.

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Grim.  It's just willfully denying the problem.  An economic denier nutjob.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/09/liz-truss-stands-firm-on-tax-cuts-over-support-for-energy-bills

It’s all delibate use of words too “ “handouts “ instead of using terms like 

“ support “ . Kicking people when they are down . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s all delibate use of words too “ “handouts “ instead of using terms like 

“ support “ . Kicking people when they are down . 

Language is extremely powerful.  Carefully chosen language is no coincidence.  The use of key words and phrases is quite deliberate and tends to achieve the desired outcome.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You’ll see. Push people hard enough and it’ll all go off. The only language these twats in WM will hear is threat. Threats to their money, threats to their well being - then they’ll act. They still think it’s more risky to hamper big energy companies than it is to leave the average person struggling 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Grim.  It's just willfully denying the problem.  An economic denier nutjob.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/09/liz-truss-stands-firm-on-tax-cuts-over-support-for-energy-bills

playing to the crowd to get the Tory vote for the leadership. Watch her pivot at the next election 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

playing to the crowd to get the Tory vote for the leadership. Watch her pivot at the next election 

That's about the one hope on the horizon.  But it will need to be a screeching U-turn pretty soon after the leadership matter is settled.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

That's about the one hope on the horizon.  But it will need to be a screeching U-turn pretty soon after the leadership matter is settled.

Starmer needs to get his head out of his arse too

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Starmer needs to get his head out of his arse too

:Agree:

Item 1 on the agenda is some kind of detailed and costed shadow budget paper.  Otherwise they're just making it easier for the Tories to sail on.

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Language is extremely powerful.  Carefully chosen language is no coincidence.  The use of key words and phrases is quite deliberate and tends to achieve the desired outcome.  

Yep 

Shooter McGavin

Shareholders utterly bullying the government into doing **** all.

For people that still defend this, your grandparents or elderly parents could very well be put in the ground this winter because a shareholder with generational wealth wants to add a few more 0’s onto their bank account.

Is it starting to click yet?

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You’ll see. Push people hard enough and it’ll all go off. The only language these twats in WM will hear is threat. Threats to their money, threats to their well being - then they’ll act. They still think it’s more risky to hamper big energy companies than it is to leave the average person struggling 

Look at how the French protested the fuel price increases. What did we do? Nowt.

I've zero faith we'll get any sort of large scale protest off the ground here.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Look at how the French protested the fuel price increases. What did we do? Nowt.

I've zero faith we'll get any sort of large scale protest off the ground here.

Correct.

if this was happening in France the place would be full scale riots. We do nothing. 

Footballfirst

The financial crisis of 2008 and the response to covid in early 2020 showed that governments can intervene an act in the public interest during a crisis. Not everything worked, but we got through each of those crises.

The energy and inflation crisis is of a similar magnitude in terms of its likely impact on the population.  There are steps that can be taken to significantly reduce the impact, however there is likely to be loud and vested interests screaming foul.

All the utilities need to be brought into government control temporarily, meaning that prices can be fixed, profits and dividends controlled.  Government would legislate to put their representatives on the boards of the oil/gas/transport/telecoms suppliers and networks. The boards, through legislation, would be forced to act in the interests of the consumer rather than their shareholders for as long as is required.  There would be an incentive for those companies to co-operate with government policy fully as that would shorten the period of government oversight.

Not easy to implement, but its indicative of the scale of what is required.

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The financial crisis of 2008 and the response to covid in early 2020 showed that governments can intervene an act in the public interest during a crisis. Not everything worked, but we got through each of those crises.

The energy and inflation crisis is of a similar magnitude in terms of its likely impact on the population.  There are steps that can be taken to significantly reduce the impact, however there is likely to be loud and vested interests screaming foul.

All the utilities need to be brought into government control temporarily, meaning that prices can be fixed, profits and dividends controlled.  Government would legislate to put their representatives on the boards of the oil/gas/transport/telecoms suppliers and networks. The boards, through legislation, would be forced to act in the interests of the consumer rather than their shareholders for as long as is required.  There would be an incentive for those companies to co-operate with government policy fully as that would shorten the period of government oversight.

Not easy to implement, but its indicative of the scale of what is required.

Fully agree.  It's a unique set of circumstances and can only be met by that kind of unconventional response.  Liz Truss's wholly inadequate tinkering and the wider right wing economic ideology is obsolete.  It's for a bygone era if it's purpose is to achieve results.  But it's clear that the purpose of the obsolete dogma is purely political.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I prefer plain speaking. Anyone who can, but refuses, to help people who will suffer because of this...I wish them ill will. That includes Truss. 

Jeffros Furios

Lizard Truss spouts shite and the morons in the audience clap like performing seals .

Fracking ? More seal noise 

:cornette:

Here we go! 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11095907/Britain-braces-winter-blackouts-doomsday-plans-come-force-January.html

The UK could face days of planned power cuts that would see libraries and railways shut down under emergency plans that could come into force in January when temperatures plummet.

A perfect storm of cold weather and gas shortages could lead to the implementation of organised blackouts that could impact on businesses and homes across the country, as well as forcing the closure of railways, libraries and other Government buildings.

As the Government prepares for winter, people familiar with its plans have suggested the 'reasonable worst-case scenario' indicates electricity capacity could fall short by a sixth of peak demand.

This could spark emergency blackouts, according to Bloomberg, which claims to have spoken to a source familiar with the Government's thinking, although they added this scenario is not expected to happen.

If put in place, it would come at the same time as when energy bills are expected to surge past £4,000 as the price cap set by regulator Ofgem more than doubles. 

A dire new forecast by energy consultancy Cornwall Insight has predicted this will rise even further in April as bills surge to £4,400, with consumer campaigners such as Martin Lewis demanding action from the Government.

In the event of power shortages this winter, it is reported that those running the gas network will temporarily override commercial agreements to direct the flow of gas. 

This would be followed by stopping gas from being sent to power stations, which would see blackouts take place, raising spectres of the 1970s.

54 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Here we go! 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11095907/Britain-braces-winter-blackouts-doomsday-plans-come-force-January.html

The UK could face days of planned power cuts that would see libraries and railways shut down under emergency plans that could come into force in January when temperatures plummet.

A perfect storm of cold weather and gas shortages could lead to the implementation of organised blackouts that could impact on businesses and homes across the country, as well as forcing the closure of railways, libraries and other Government buildings.

As the Government prepares for winter, people familiar with its plans have suggested the 'reasonable worst-case scenario' indicates electricity capacity could fall short by a sixth of peak demand.

This could spark emergency blackouts, according to Bloomberg, which claims to have spoken to a source familiar with the Government's thinking, although they added this scenario is not expected to happen.

If put in place, it would come at the same time as when energy bills are expected to surge past £4,000 as the price cap set by regulator Ofgem more than doubles. 

A dire new forecast by energy consultancy Cornwall Insight has predicted this will rise even further in April as bills surge to £4,400, with consumer campaigners such as Martin Lewis demanding action from the Government.

In the event of power shortages this winter, it is reported that those running the gas network will temporarily override commercial agreements to direct the flow of gas. 

This would be followed by stopping gas from being sent to power stations, which would see blackouts take place, raising spectres of the 1970s.

The same energy problems will be experienced by Europe in general.

Not saying its not fixable just saying its a bit more than tory bad 

Space Mackerel

The UK Treasury got 350 THOUSAND MILLION £’s in tax revenue since Norths Sea oil was discovered.

It built the Channel Tunnel, widened the M25 to 7 lanes, Canary Wharf and funded numerous foreign wars on behalf of it donors.

Ever felt you’ve been robbed? 

manaliveits105

So everybody is going to be paying £4200 for their energy bills according to the daily news scaremongers - hmmmmm ?

Bullshit ! 

Unknown user
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this generation - all of us, those of a certain age?

It's not that important I suppose.

It's pretty universal, when there isn't enough in the bank for eating and heating, people get desperate, and angry.

And that go for Wales anaw. Scotland and Wales produce 30%(Combined) of the electricity, with  a population of 14%(combined).

England produce 72% with a population of 83% . They can have the power cuts.

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

So everybody is going to be paying £4200 for their energy bills according to the daily news scaremongers - hmmmmm ?

Bullshit ! 

Now sit down and pay attention here and I'll explain how this works.

The 'news scaremongers' report on things that other people have said or have done. They report it. Hence reporters. 

Like yourself they don't have original thoughts. 

Now in this particular instance the 'news scaremongers' are reporting the findings of Cornwall Insight who are the pre-eminent research group in the energy market.

They are saying that the energy cap will most likely come out at over £4000 based on forward prices for gas and electricity. 

So basically people without a clue relay the information from people who know what they're on about to people without a clue, or a grasp of how the media works. 

9 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Bullshit ! 

Are they not saying per household rather than per body?

E.on have just announced that they made a £3.47bn profit in the last 6 months.

So everybody who has an E.on account the bosses and shareholders thank you.

I have no problems with companies making a profit, however when more and more people are falling into debt with their energy company and that number will explode during the winter, it's just wrong that they are making such huge profits.