energy prices

Masonic

* British Gas made a profit of 1.3bn between January & June * BP announced profits of 6.95 billion between April and June alone * Shell has profited by 9.4bn in a year The MEN at the top: * John Pettigrew, boss of National Grid received 6.5m bonus on top of his salary * Chris OShea, chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica was paid almost 2m last year in salary and benefits * Centrica's non-executive directors were paid almost 1m * Scottish Power's CEO Keith Anderson is on 1.15m. * E.On boss Michael Lewis is on 1m * EDF's Simone Rossi is also on 1m * And their top execs enjoyed a share of 4.65m * Peter Simpson of Anglian Water earned a 1.3m pay package * Welsh Water bosses awarded themselves bonuses of over 930,000 * Severn Trent bosses awarded themselves bonuses of 5.56m * Thames Water's Sarah Bentley, received a 727,000 bonus on top of her 2m annual salary

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Italy & Germany have given way way more help to their population than the UK has, someone posted some figures earlier of how much they had spent compared to the UK.  France is a complete outlier and can't really be compared to anybody else in Europe.

At least Labour is going to publish it's costed figures and plan of measures.  Let's see how much exposure it gets in the broadcast media.  I suspect not much.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Imaman said:

* British Gas made a profit of 1.3bn between January & June * BP announced profits of 6.95 billion between April and June alone * Shell has profited by 9.4bn in a year The MEN at the top: * John Pettigrew, boss of National Grid received 6.5m bonus on top of his salary * Chris OShea, chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica was paid almost 2m last year in salary and benefits * Centrica's non-executive directors were paid almost 1m * Scottish Power's CEO Keith Anderson is on 1.15m. * E.On boss Michael Lewis is on 1m * EDF's Simone Rossi is also on 1m * And their top execs enjoyed a share of 4.65m * Peter Simpson of Anglian Water earned a 1.3m pay package * Welsh Water bosses awarded themselves bonuses of over 930,000 * Severn Trent bosses awarded themselves bonuses of 5.56m * Thames Water's Sarah Bentley, received a 727,000 bonus on top of her 2m annual salary

The concept of bonuses on top of salary is fair enough - and presumably the ordinary employees of these companies will also have received bonuses.  Its part of the internal Reward & Recognition process that loads of companies operate to help identify, promote & retain staff. 

However in the Energy production sector, its got way out of control.   Cruelly ironic at a time of  extreme increases in  fuel prices due to shortage of supply, the senior managers & directors of the energy/utility  companies  receive extreme bonuses.   

Just my opinion from a moral point of view ........  but  if  a quango like Ofgem needs to operate a Price Cap in order to protect customers, then it should also be operating a Remuneration Cap for company directors and a Dividend Cap for its shareholders.   

Edited by Lone Striker

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

SNP taking all the solid labour seats , leaving the UK stuck with the conservatives didn’t help …..kind of ironic that they moan about the tories yet are holding them in power

:rofl:You don't half talk pish.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:You don't half talk pish.

He isn't.  What he means is that the SNP block at Westminster is a block of seats that could prove invaluable to Labour at an election.  Either to win a majority or to be the largest party in a hung parliament.

He isn't saying the SNP isn't entitled to contest and win these seats.  But it's true that the SNP winning seats,  by a perverse twist of the electoral system,  is contributing to the Tories remaining clear of Labour.

If the Tories were to be 20 clear as largest party at the next election and SNP win 30,  Labour would have been largest party  if they had won the 30 SNP seats.

It certainly is not pish.

Just now, Victorian said:

He isn't.  What he means is that the SNP block at Westminster is a block of seats that could prove invaluable to Labour at an election.  Either to win a majority or to be the largest party in a hung parliament.

He isn't saying the SNP isn't entitled to contest and win these seats.  But it's true that the SNP winning seats,  by a perverse twist of the electoral system,  is contributing to the Tories remaining clear of Labour.

If the Tories were to be 20 clear as largest party at the next election and SNP win 30,  Labour would have been largest party  if they had won the 30 SNP seats.

It certainly is not pish.

What he's saying is, if we all voted labour, instead of SNP we wouldn't be propping up a Tory government. When in the real world, it doesn't matter who Scotland votes, labour or SNP, until England vote labour, we're stick with Tory. If labour needs the SNP to run the UK , they'll have their backing. So he's talking pish.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What he's saying is, if we all voted labour, instead of SNP we wouldn't be propping up a Tory government. When in the real world, it doesn't matter who Scotland votes, labour or SNP, until England vote labour, we're stick with Tory. If labour needs the SNP to run the UK , they'll have their backing. So he's talking pish.

Rubbish.  I've detailed a hypothetical example of how the SNP seats can become the deciding factor in an election.  It's a UK wide election and every seat counts 1.

Edited by Victorian

Rubbish.  I've detailed a hypothetical example of how the SNP seats can become the deciding factor in an election.  It's a UK wide election and every seats counts 1.

I'm not talking about you. DJ falsely states that SNP voters have put the Tories in power, because we don't vote labour. I know all about the ins and outs of how other deals can be done if needed.

SNP taking all the solid labour seats , leaving the UK stuck with the conservatives didn’t help …..kind of ironic that they moan about the tories yet are holding them in power

@Victorian 

Read it again, bud.

Just now, ri Alban said:

I'm not talking about you. DJ falsely states that SNP voters have put the Tories in power, because we don't vote labour. I know all about the ins and outs of how other deals can be done if needed.

He was talking hypothetically.  We already know the Tories currently hold a majority large enough for Scottish seats to make no difference.  A future election could be very different.  Scottish seats could be a balance of power.  The SNP's success can easily lead to Tory rule that would have gone to Labour,  had a fairly limited number of people chosen Labour instead of SNP.

It's ironic,  but very real.  There was nothing wrong with the OP.  You just interpreted it the wrong way.  

He was talking hypothetically.  We already know the Tories currently hold a majority large enough for Scottish seats to make no difference.  A future election could be very different.  Scottish seats could be a balance of power.  The SNP's success can easily lead to Tory rule that would have gone to Labour,  had a fairly limited number of people chosen Labour instead of SNP.

It's ironic,  but very real.  There was nothing wrong with the OP.  You just interpreted it the wrong way.  

Doctor jambo is bitter unionist who hates the SNP. He is talking pish, not hypothetical, believe me.

I have.  You've taken it too literally.  The meaning is as stated.  

Sorry bud, you're wrong. Anyway, keep up the fight, ✌️

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Doctor jambo is bitter unionist who hates the SNP. He is talking pish, not hypothetical, believe me.

The wording could have been different.  That's about all.  

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'd agree if he didn't use didn't. There has been no example in the last 30 years where the SNP have stopped labour taking power and they wouldn't, because it would destroy them.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'd agree if he didn't use didn't. There has been no example in the last 30 years where the SNP have stopped labour taking power and they wouldn't, because it would destroy them.

Past results are irrelevant.  Only possible future scenarios of seat share.  Example given above.

The meaning was clear to me.  You see something different.  Looks like a dead end.

Past results are irrelevant.  Only possible future scenarios of seat share.  Example given above.

The meaning was clear to me.  You see something different.  Looks like a dead end.

Perspective bud. 👍. You see the future, I see the past/present. 

Maybe @doctor jambocould clarify what he meant.

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is he?

Wouldn't have said he came across bitter.

That's not to say I agree with him.

Labour took Scotland and the North of England for granted while flashing their knickers to the south.

Yet again, more made up nonsense. Labour could have won every Scottish seat and we would still have a tory government 

11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And you are a bitter unionist who hates England 

Just now, milky_26 said:

And you are a bitter unionist who hates England 

I hate Scots born no voters, with a fecking passion. I hope it clarifies it. 

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Rubbish.  I've detailed a hypothetical example of how the SNP seats can become the deciding factor in an election.  It's a UK wide election and every seat counts 1.

. His statement was pish as he used the past tense, therefore talking about previous elections. 

Not this pish again.

2019:

Tory seats: 365.

Labour: 202.
SNP: 48.

If everybody who voted SNP voted Labour, then the result (202+48= 250) is still a Tory win.

2017:
Tory seats: 317.
Labour: 262. SNP: 35. Total 297.

Tories still win.

2015:
Tory seats: 330.
Labour: 232. SNP: 56. Total 288.

Tories still win.

2010:
Tory seats: 306.

Labour: 258. SNP: 6 Total 264.

Tories still largest party.

2005:
Tory seats: 198.

Labour: 355.

SNP: 5.

Even if for some strange reason everyone in Scotland voted Tory, they still only get 58 more seats (up to 256), Labour only lose 41 (down to 314) and Labour still win.

2001:

Tory seats: 166.
Labour: 413.
Again, even if everybody in Scotland voted Tory, they gain 71 seats (up to 237), Labour lose 56 (down to 357) and Labour still win.

1997:
Tory seats: 165.
Labour: 418.
If everybody in Scotland voted Tory, they gain 72 (up to 237) and Labour lose 56 (down to 362) but Labour still win the election.

1992:
Tory seats: 336.
Labour: 271. SNP: 3. Total 274. 

Tories still win.

The sad truth is that the votes in Scotland don't matter at a UK general election.

Switching every single Scottish seat blue or red would not have affected the outcome of ANY of those elections.

I only stopped at 1992 because I got bored of mythbusting.

Edited by Cade

Just now, XB52 said:

. His statement was pish as he used the past tense, therefore talking about previous elections. 

The wording could have been better.  But no doubt he will clarify.

The wording could have been better.  But no doubt he will clarify.

No doubt he won't as aussieh was right, for once, in his description 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hate Scots born no voters, with a fecking passion. I hope it clarifies it. 

🤪

7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Yet again, more made up nonsense. Labour could have won every Scottish seat and we would still have a tory government 

True .

It's still 50 odd seats plus the Northern English.

Which is some make up from other less traditional labour strongholds.

However it should concern Scotland if its brave enough to govern itself.

A wee aside though.

I always found it a bit off when the Sun backed indy and perhaps showed a wee bit of skullduggery.

Shouldnt

Edited by Ked

If the favourite doesn't win the Grand National for 5 straight years,  the favourite can still win the next one.  Apply a different tense and his premise becomes clear.

SectionDJambo

Sorry, but am I missing something in the discussion about how the SNP having seats at Westminster currently as put the Conservatives in power?

The Conservatives have an 80 seat majority. That's over all of the other parties put together. How would all of the SNP seats being Labour seats have changed that? The Conservatives would still have the same majority.

It might make a difference in future elections, but surely not for this Parliament.

The only thing that will decrease that Conservative majority is the electorate in England, especially in the "red wall", voting for Labour, since they can't vote for the SNP. That may result in a hung parliament due to the SNP seats in future, I agree.

I'll keep it to energy costs, you lot can go on about The SNP etc... DJ tried to put the blame on the SNP, as usual, I called him out. Now feck off and give me peace Jake/Zlat or whomever you are. Alex Jones needs your help.

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sorry, but am I missing something in the discussion about how the SNP having seats at Westminster currently as put the Conservatives in power?

The Conservatives have an 80 seat majority. That's over all of the other parties put together. How would all of the SNP seats being Labour seats have changed that? The Conservatives would still have the same majority.

It might make a difference in future elections, but surely not for this Parliament.

The only thing that will decrease that Conservative majority is the electorate in England, especially in the "red wall", voting for Labour, since they can't vote for the SNP. That may result in a hung parliament due to the SNP seats in future, I agree.

This bit.  The rest is irrelevant.  

Only future election results can be changed by circumstances.  

manaliveits105

stv news see Cornwall Insights £4500 and raise them to a £5000 projection without mentioning any source 

Although their political editor Colin McKay did say he had just spoken to 2 women coming out of Holyrood and they said they hoped the hot weather continues as they can’t afford their bills 

:facepalm:
amateur pash 

JudyJudyJudy

https://www.gov.scot/news/taking-action-on-cost-emergency/?fbclid=IwAR3aJ737b2TWIAr7KmMh82fCdoosjPw_UfRAvszqJUzjLYyAK8UZitQ-IAM&fs=e&s=cl

??? Where exactly is the help ? I’m confused ? More child payments ? Ffs what about single people , older adults etc 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This bit.  The rest is irrelevant.  

Only future election results can be changed by circumstances.  

Last comment on your support for DJ. He stated "SNP taking all the solid labour seats , leaving the UK stuck with the conservatives DIDN'T HELP" 

He never mentioned future elections

Just now, XB52 said:

Last comment on your support for DJ. He stated "SNP taking all the solid labour seats , leaving the UK stuck with the conservatives DIDN'T HELP" 

He never mentioned future elections

Obviously.  It could have been worded better.  

But even aside from hypothetical future elections,  Labour's failure to win SNP seats (SNP success at holding seats from Labour) makes it MORE DIFFICULT for Labour to win nationally.  Hence why DJ says that SNP seat wins DIDN'T HELP.

It will always remain MORE DIFFICULT (LESS EASY) for Labour to win without Scottish seats.  The same can be said of the north of England... but DJ referenced the SNP so his context was Scottish seats.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

but  if  a quango like Ofgem needs to operate a Price Cap in order to protect customers, then it should also be operating a Remuneration Cap for company directors and a Dividend Cap for its shareholders.   

You are thinking the same of me with this point of view. 

40 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

stv news see Cornwall Insights £4500 and raise them to a £5000 projection without mentioning any source 

Although their political editor Colin McKay did say he had just spoken to 2 women coming out of Holyrood and they said they hoped the hot weather continues as they can’t afford their bills 

:facepalm:
amateur pash 

The £5000 projection was made by an energy consultancy firm called Auxilione, there were posts on here about it earlier today.

Stv should really have named the source though.

manaliveits105
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The £5000 projection was made by an energy consultancy firm called Auxilione, there were posts on here about it earlier today.

Stv should really have named the source though.

So do we believe Cornwall or Auxilione 

yesterday Cornwalls word was gospel 

One thing that the media has neglected to a large degree is the crisis for business.  As we know there's no cap on business energy.  There's a big,  big problem on the horizon for the viability of many businesses of a range of sizes.

How's that economic growth caper going Liz?  How's that welfare budget reduction working out for you?

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

With startling prescience, you've really honed in on the most important aspect of this crisis. 👏

25 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Take your choice, you've got a 50 - 50 chance of being right.

17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

One thing that the media has neglected to a large degree is the crisis for business.  As we know there's no cap on business energy.  There's a big,  big problem on the horizon for the viability of many businesses of a range of sizes.

How's that economic growth caper going Liz?  How's that welfare budget reduction working out for you?

Lizz Truss.

Hmmm .

Not feeling optimistic.The truth is we I  suppose were always coming to a crunch point on energy.

It does seem ridiculous that we have in place the contract disaster that hinkley point.

No real investment or direction regarding energy.The conservative party really should be made to drop their name under the trade description act.

Scottish people need to realise that all the comforts they enjoy that stop them voting for independence will go unless we do.

We are in a much healthier position governing ourselves.

Germany and its reliance on Rusian gas was a big mistake.

But they are dealing with it on a scale that can only be respected.

Albeit it will push recession .

All I see from the current UK government is x factor politics and banana Republic economic responses.

I've never been more convinced for the case of independence and I am not face painting braveheart

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Lizz Truss.

Hmmm .

Not feeling optimistic.The truth is we I  suppose were always coming to a crunch point on energy.

It does seem ridiculous that we have in place the contract disaster that hinkley point.

No real investment or direction regarding energy.The conservative party really should be made to drop their name under the trade description act.

Scottish people need to realise that all the comforts they enjoy that stop them voting for independence will go unless we do.

We are in a much healthier position governing ourselves.

Germany and its reliance on Rusian gas was a big mistake.

But they are dealing with it on a scale that can only be respected.

Albeit it will push recession .

All I see from the current UK government is x factor politics and banana Republic economic responses.

I've never been more convinced for the case of independence and I am not face painting braveheart

I'm not linking it to independence but you're quite right on the basic points.

You only need to look at the comparison between the UK and others regarding the percentage increase in energy costs.  Others have taken measures that the UK has not.  We were told we had to leave the EU to be able to take control of our own decisions.  It's the remaining EU members states getting things done that we are told are not possible to do.  

It is quite unprecedented neglect of duty and overt gangsterism.  Off the scale.  Yet no great media glare coming on them.  

manaliveits105
31 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

With startling prescience, you've really honed in on the most important aspect of this crisis. 👏

The media are scaremongering and probably affecting many less well off peoples mental health and well being - not many people will have bills of £4500 - £5000 

they need taken to task 

but hey make light of it bub