Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

On 24/01/2022 at 10:26, Malinga the Swinga said:

West only have themselves to blame. Expanding NATO till it was on Russian border was never a smart move. We don't give shit about Ukraine, Crimea or any of these countries. 

If you continually poke a bear, whose fault is it if the bear gets pissed and pokes back a lot harder.

Quite so but then when it has done that you shoot it so that it won't do it again. Problem solved.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Boing and Airbus should stop supplying parts to all Russian Airlines

It won't be long , but given Aeroflot is banned (from UK, at least, for starters) they'll not be needing spares for a while as there'll be nowhere to fly to. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

The Putin apologists have mysteriously gone very quiet for some reason.

I hope they are thoroughly ashamed to be supportive of a despot

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It won't be long , but given Aeroflot is banned (from UK, at least, for starters) they'll not be needing spares for a while as there'll be nowhere to fly to. 

European and Asian ATC should ban them from using their airspace. They will only get to China as Syria one of their few other friends would mean crossing Turkey.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Home Secretary's hostile environment?

Her outrage at David Lammy for being called out is something to behold. She referred him to the Home Office website ...... that proved he was correct and she was wrong.

God almighty, is there a country in Europe that's doing/done less to help Ukraine refugess. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Home Secretary's hostile environment?

New line from the Tories: Ukrainian refugees can apply for DEFRA seasonal worker visas. I kid you not

Edited by NANOJAMBO

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

The Putin apologists have mysteriously gone very quiet for some reason.

👍

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Long may it be so. 

👍

I couldn't believe what I was reading on this thread last night from a few posters.   Wouldn't be surprised if its the same folk who've been making a fool of themselves on the Neilson thread.    

Good to see sport & artistic organisations in the West refusing to have anything to do with Russia.    The more, the better.   Hopefully commercial organisations follow suit.     Not that Putin gives a sh1t, but it  should make an increasing number of ordinary Russian citizens  question what their leader is up to.

Its amazing to see the patriotism and determination being shown by lots of Ukrainian citizens to stand up to the invaders.    They're a proud and peace-loving  bunch - anyone who messes with them is in for a fright.   :notworthy:

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:
New line from the Tories: Ukrainian refugees can apply for DEFRA seasonal worker visas. I kid you not

The family have been advised to go via Ireland which is accepting Ukrainians without visas. Once admitted there, they should be able to travel to the UK.

It's typical Tory dogma about immigration.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Her outrage at David Lammy for being called out is something to behold. She referred him to the Home Office website ...... that proved he was correct and she was wrong.

God almighty, is there a country in Europe that's doing/done less to help Ukraine refugess. 

Wee Pritt stick's an abomination. If the entry rules were as harsh as those she's created, her own parents would never have got here. You need to be tough to be home secretary but there's tough and there's heartless and nasty and she certainly belongs to the latter group.

She clearly has something on her boss, perhaps even some previous nudge nudge wink wink (a stomach turning thought).

50 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This pic reminds me of JFKs son at his funeral....

Thats an amazing photo.

Sad but uplifting.

Edit. Just saw its an old pic. None the less, still am amazing photo.

Edited by Pap

Hopefully, once removal from SWIFT is confirmed Europe can also find other routes to purchase oil. Once that is done Putin will lose much needed revenue. 

Really don't like the title of this thread. I hate Johnson, but the war in Eastern Europe is far more important and serious than the title suggests. 

9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

She's an appalling advert for inclusiveness.  Daughter of Indian immigrants (via Uganda).  Got a privileged education in the UK, now pulling up the drawbridge to stop other immigrants getting the same benefits.   Shocking.   

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine
2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

The EU and US have agreed to cut some US banks out of SWIFT. Good news, although don’t yet know what they mean by ‘some’.

Turning on themselves. The Russians will be very pleased to see that.

within the last few minutes ...

@jeneps

· 6m

BREAKING: European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, UK, Canada, U.S. announce they will disconnect certain Russian banks from Swift and will take restrictive measures to prevent the Russian Central Bank from deploying its international reserves to undermine sanctions

According to the Pro Russia Telegram group

🇪🇺🇷🇺️All Russian banks that have already come under international sanctions, and if necessary, other Russian banks will be disconnected from SWIFT, the German government leads the decision of the West on new sanctions

Edited by hughesie27

Kalamazoo Jambo
9 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

The EU and US have agreed to cut some Russian banks out of SWIFT. Good news, although don’t yet know what they mean by ‘some’.

so, to be more precise it’s  European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/02/26/joint-statement-on-further-restrictive-economic-measures/

20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

She's an appalling advert for inclusiveness.  Daughter of Indian immigrants (via Uganda).  Got a privileged education in the UK, now pulling up the drawbridge to stop other immigrants getting the same benefits.   Shocking.   

Her father, incredibly , stood as a UKIP candidate , she's grossly insulted the UK Sikh community (literally saying the UK has a problem with Sikh terrorism). She wouldn't  look out of place in India's Mohdi Hindu racist govt. But I digress.

Cut off their goolies!!!!

Metaphorically speaking at least. Apart from Putin's few friends, the momentum is building and the rest of the World is turning against the odious evil shite. Paralyse his banking system and his disgusting pals' assets. 

And we'll done to Kalamazoo Jambo for updating the thread title.

Edited by SwindonJambo

3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Russian ballet performances cancelled under pressure from Ukrainian community.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-60538275

What we need is total ostracisation and boycotting of anything to do with Russia. Seemingly France and Italy are now on board with booting Russia out of SWIFT with just Germany to win over - they use it to buy gas from the Counts. As Germany are now arming the Ukrainians, a SWIFT ban will come.

Inflation will go up as we all have to get stuff from Russia from elsewhere but we need to smoke the bar stewards out, or rather smoke their leader and his sycophants out. 

Gernany almost there on Swift!

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Its good to see the soldiers seem to be in good spirits, heroes all.

You have to remember that soldiers “hero’s and all” may not agree with the job they’ve been asked to do.

I firmly believe there is a huge anti putin *movement which is currently subdued/smashed/in jail….. the guy smashes any opposition, The Propaganda war was effective in times gone, we just believed what we were told but were now seeing Tommy with his Mobil phone showing us all sorts of live coverage.  Russia won’t be able to smash this then hide it.  

* It’s a guess but I believe he Russian people will  be his downfall 

13 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

You really are a piece of work. 

I've made it quite clear that I believe the UK and NATO should be taking military action to reduce the number of deaths that will result from Putins actions, actions which are a breach of International law. This should include a "no fly zone" and military action on the ground to protect Ukranian Civilians and the democratic govt.  of Ukraine.

What side are you on Buddy?

"You really are a piece of work".  Yes - to people like you, people who know a lot more often appear like "pieces of work".  :thumbsup:

(Don't get dragged into a debate on this - I'm not the one who acted as cheerleader for the ****ing political wing of the Provos, and frankly, sweetie, the less said about that the better)

You wouldn't know what "clear" was if it gave you a hickey on the back of your neck while buggering you.

"...military action on the ground" is meaningless word salad.  What military action?  Taken by whom?  With what and whose forces?  Why do you hypothecate the UK from NATO?  The UK is a NATO member.  Should it take action as part of a NATO force?  Or in parallel?

Edited by Ulysses

@HenryJFoy

Russia has $630bn in international reserves. A big chunk of that is held overseas. Western sanctions agreed tonight are designed to stop Putin being able to spend even a single rouble worth.

That cash was Putin’s insurance policy. He didn’t touch it during the Covid-19 economic crisis, and has forced Russia through years of effective austerity to save it up, as a protection against western sanctions.

This cash pile was the reason the Kremlin - and some western analysts - were confident Russia could survive sanctions on its banks, exports or big businesses, and weather the economic pain of the invasion of Ukraine. This changes that calculation, significantl

Tonight we have the political declaration from G7 and EU. The details will follow, and need studying. But tonight it is clear that while Putin could still “win” his war in Ukraine, the costs to him, and to Russia, will be far, far higher than he could have imagined.

21 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:)

Russia has built up considerable reserves, as have Russian "businesses".  Anyone know how those are denominated?  If they're mainly in roubles, the best way to undermine their usefulness is to kick the crap out of the rouble's value.  If they're mostly in foreign currency, the best way to undermine their usefulness is to prevent them being exchanged for roubles and brought back into Russia.

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Chechens suffer heavy losses :yas:

Source?

This is the problem with "instant news" via social media.  I've just been reading a report (unvalidated) saying that the Chechens weren't prepared to send people in at all.

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

so, to be more precise it’s  European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/02/26/joint-statement-on-further-restrictive-economic-measures/

It's good to hear, but to be honest Germany, Italy and (to a lesser extent) Hungary have been a disgrace.  The EU's sanctions are poor, and would have been stronger but for those countries - reliance on Russian gas is the Achilles' heel.

Dagger Is Back

So these sanctions bring Russia to its knees. Those with the least suffer the most. 

What’s the next part of the plan? Putin backed into a corner. Dangerous animal or what?

How does this play out?

13 hours ago, Boab said:

Ukraine is not in NATO though.

We all know that.

All the West can do, without increasing the chances of a bigger conflict, is do what they are doing now.

Sanctions, supplying military hardware and, you won't hear this on the news, undermining the invasion by mobilising and agitating existing groups inside the country. 

Leaving aside the fact that I'm unlikely to agree with SE16 blahblahblah unless I'm drugged or dropped on my head from a height, are you really sure that's "all the West can do"?

Conflict always comes at a price.  Maybe the West isn't willing to pay the price of provoking Russia into insane war, but are we willing to pay any price at all?  We don't seem to be willing to just isolate the ****ers completely, and agree (on or off the news) to pay a fortune to sponsor Ukrainian guerrilla warfare capability.  That - at a minimum - is what is needed.  It means we have energy supply problems and increased prices.  It means we have food price inflation.  But it also means dragging Russian forces into the mire of an urban guerrilla war that will kill and maim countless numbers of their troops, and much more importantly will require the entire Russian military apparatus to focus on Ukraine - meaning it can't expand anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

So these sanctions bring Russia to its knees. Those with the least suffer the most. 

What’s the next part of the plan? Putin backed into a corner. Dangerous animal or what?

How does this play out?

China suggests Russia and Ukraine should solve their problems using jaw-jaw rather than war-war.  Russia and Ukraine agree.

Not easy, and messy, but achievable.

7 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

How does this play out?

He runs out of money and can't finance the war, he can't maintain the hi-tec part of his defence infra because he can't get the technology - even if he could pay for it. 

He settles for less in some kind of diplomatic settlement. 

Maybe. 

But Ukraine needs to hold out. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Presumably Putin will turn off the gas taps in response so you'd hope European leaders have a plan for this as consumers are going to be hit again with prices and shortages.

One outcome is more investment in renewable and nuclear and less dependency on imported fossil fuels. Go Vlad with his green agenda. Ahem, the warmongering prick.

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I wonder how much ‘face’ NATO etc would allow Putin to save if he were to indicate a change of course.

If the change of course would restore stability, I think they'd allow him considerable scope.

feedtheroman2

Seeing an update on a livestream on YouTube of Ukrain as it is now...

Reports suggesting Russia has fired a cruise missile and its hit nearby Kyiv.

Frightening. Truly frightening. 

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

This chatter is a bit of a worry, more so as thermobaric weapons have been spotted.

These have been in use since day 1 of the conflict. They can be used to destroy buildings in urban environments but it's not their single /primary use. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

These have been in use since day 1 of the conflict. They can be used to destroy buildings in urban environments but it's not their single /primary use. 

Have they? I hadn't seen that mentioned before. They're utterly barbaric in any case.

I saw stuff on twitter todat saying hackers had broken into the Russian national TV network and were playing Ukrainian songs/pictures of the war. I don't know if this vid is kosher though.

Also, Ukraine govt has asked the  hackers of the world to unite and come to their rescue by providing a list of Russian targets they want shut down. :lol:

Why won't your ****ing government do what every civilised country in Europe is doing and open up visa access to Ukrainians leaving the country?

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You have to remember that soldiers “hero’s and all” may not agree with the job they’ve been asked to do.

I firmly believe there is a huge anti putin *movement which is currently subdued/smashed/in jail….. the guy smashes any opposition, The Propaganda war was effective in times gone, we just believed what we were told but were now seeing Tommy with his Mobil phone showing us all sorts of live coverage.  Russia won’t be able to smash this then hide it.  

* It’s a guess but I believe he Russian people will  be his downfall 

Short service and all as I had I certainly remember the system where you done what you were told. I just saw a picture of young men in uniform with smiles on their faces, and over my eighty seven years have seen those smiles on so many faces, friends, enemies, allies and foes. Whomever they serve not in the medals and  commendation sense but in the we are young men and we just have to get on with what we are told to do sense they are all heroes to me. 

The rascals, cowards and disgraceful, are the individuals who create the environment  that puts these young men in jeopardy. Putin, this time, many before and many to come. I have commented previously that I saw demonstrations in Russia recently the type I have never seen before, it was stated on some news channels here that Putin was acting against all advice and with minimum support from his colleagues, but as Russians do they will let it run until the right opportunity comes to dispose of him as they see fit.

1 minute ago, Costanza said:

Have they? I hadn't seen that mentioned before. They're utterly barbaric in any case.

Pictures of them in transit were on this thread, folks commenting on the potential use on civilians. 

Ans yes, potentially barbaric.