Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

18 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Can only be done from within Russia. A peoples revolution of sorts (history) or the military. The military one is the scary one.

A faction in the military could remove him if the losses mount. No chance of civilian uprising although I doubt it would be a bloodless coup and there is always the risk of what happens to the nuclear arsenal during any instability 

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just driving straight up the motorways. Put some bit feck off holes in them and make it more difficult.

Watching it on Google maps : it's unreal. The Russians are pouring down the highways into Kyiv. 

The gunfire seems to have stopped completely. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Watching it on Google maps : it's unreal. The Russians are pouring down the highways into Kyiv. 

The gunfire seems to have stopped completely. 

I see China, India and Pakistan he UAE have abstained from condemnation of Russia. We should cut them off as well.

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

On the news today I saw anti war protests in Russia, to the best of my memory I have never seen that before.

Nearly 2,000 arrested for treason in over 50 different russian cities, got to admire their bravery in taking a stance. 

1 hour ago, Steak said:

Russians dressed as Civilians attacking soldiers, Russia telling Ukranian soldiers they'll kill their families if they don't surrender, bombing nurseries and other civilian targets.

Vlad needs taken out

Stick NATO forces in dressed like civilians, goose and gander. 👍

Just now, graygo said:

Nearly 2,000 arrested for treason in over 50 different russian cities, got to admire their bravery in taking a stance. 

Social media being shutdown now.

31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I see China, India and Pakistan he UAE have abstained from condemnation of Russia. We should cut them off as well.

They were expected to vote with Russia, a bit of a skelp in the puss for Putin that they didn't.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

They were expected to vote with Russia, a bit of a skelp in the puss for Putin that they didn't.

I suppose, but it would have been good if they voted to condemn. 

Edited by ri Alban

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Social media being shutdown now.

Aye and all Russian state TV is showing is the Ukraine attacking "Russians" in the Donbas region.

6 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

One of the failures of NATO is the veto. There was a vote against Russia but Russia vetoed it. Toothless or what.

Russia are not in NATO. You obviously mean the UN.

Lord Montpelier
10 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

So who does he Nuke?

My point stands?

Hes just been ****ed over by NATO. His plans in tatters. 

He actually doesn’t know who did it? It’s NATO forces made up of 30 countries? 

What does he do? 

If he really does have carrots up his nose he could decide to launch everything and attempt to wipe out 30 countries in one go. 

His missiles can’t take out the US. Their missile defence system take care of that. As would the majority of NATO countries.

Forget Nukes.

Putin is clearly mad and drunk on power

His actions now will be very unpredictable 

7 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

He didn’t look to good! He looks like Carrie has been demanding round the clock sex! Great when you are in your early 20s 🥴

The imagery of war is horrifying enough without this sort of imagery being added to the mix. 🥴

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Leaving the one operational sub aside for a moment, nuking them means they nuke back, and that would be bad.  Sorry, that's me assuming that the armchair generals don't want us to be nuked, but you get what I mean.

So, if nuking Russia isn't a valid option, and if what the UK, the US and the EU have done so far by way of sanctions is weak and ineffective, where's the middle ground?

**** knows to be honest.

The Russian hierarchy (not just Putin), are playing a game of brinkmanship with the lives of practically every living soul on the planet.

At the moment they're like that asteroid at the KT boundary. 

Should we be surprised that the'yre not overly concerned with the human losses incurred in Ukraine, the financial pain of economic sanctions, or public protest at home?

All small fry compared to what they've put at stake.

FWIW I think they're bluffing; but the carefully cultivated mystique of ruthless indifference which surrounds Putin's Kremlin makes calling that bluff practically impossible for anyone who cares about the habitability of planet earth.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Nuclear weapons were involved? The definition of a conventional war is surely one not involving nuclear weapons?

No a conventional war is a war like ww2 where armies face off each other and theres rules like don't shoot medics or kill civilians etc. Vietnam,Afghanistan and Iraq after the initial invasion was a gorilla war. The advantage is with the gorillias because they can go for civilian to soldier as quick as a pull on the trigger and they don't have to worry about war crimes etc.

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not really.  When it's largely guerilla warfare then it's not a conventional war.  

Good luck arguing with him

54 minutes ago, Herbert said:

No a conventional war is a war like ww2 where armies face off each other and theres rules like don't shoot medics or kill civilians etc. Vietnam,Afghanistan and Iraq after the initial invasion was a gorilla war. The advantage is with the gorillias because they can go for civilian to soldier as quick as a pull on the trigger and they don't have to worry about war crimes etc.

WWII was not a conventional war in the end. The people's of Hiroshima and Nagasaki can testify to that.

To date, man has yet to invent a weapon that he has not used.

36 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

WWII was not a conventional war in the end. The people's of Hiroshima and Nagasaki can testify to that.

Hydrogen Bomb?

chuck berrys hairline

This is mad that we can follow a war in real time. Watched Knut's twitch stream all day and night yesterday. About 2am you could hear the gunshots and shelling and the occaisonal flash from struck targets. Was quite haunting to watch, as kyiv was just sitting there in darkness waiting! Did anyone catch the YouTube Irish guy stuck in Kyiv? He was streaming trying to fortify his room before he ended up leaving, i hope he is safe what a sh!t situation to find yourself in on holiday.

Edited by chuck berrys hairline
sp

chuck berrys hairline

That Russian UN representative would've made the OF proud with his whataboutery! Absolute shyster who even had the cheek to laugh at the Ukrainian guys passionate speech after his round of applause 😤

14 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Why not answer the question instead of complaining to the questioner?  He asked you what would you have us do.  Instead of assuming that someone asking this question is really saying "do nothing", why not put up a proposal of your own?  You live in a country which has one of the largest military expenditures on the planet, is one of the world's few nuclear-armed states, and is a member of the UN Security Council and of NATO.  What alternative action do you want your Government to take? 

You really are a piece of work. 

I've made it quite clear that I believe the UK and NATO should be taking military action to reduce the number of deaths that will result from Putins actions, actions which are a breach of International law. This should include a "no fly zone" and military action on the ground to protect Ukranian Civilians and the democratic govt.  of Ukraine.

What side are you on Buddy?

5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I've made it quite clear that I believe the UK and NATO should be taking military action to reduce the number of deaths that will result from Putins actions, actions which are a breach of International law. This should include a "no fly zone" and military action on the ground to protect Ukranian Civilians and the democratic govt.  of Ukraine.

So you want to start a bigger war using more troops and putting more people in harms way to reduce the number of casualties?

Explain how that would work?

18 hours ago, Gizmo said:

You posted this:  "Meanwhile we'll be opening more transgender toilets and legislating against nasty comments."

I've literally no clue what your latest post means, considering your previous post you appear to be at complete odds with yourself. 

AT NO TIME did I argue against military support from an "LGBT+" position. What a moronic inference. 🙄 

I'm not getting further dragged into whatever moronic game you are playing. 

You said

Would you prefer we were like Russia where we imprison and oppress LGBT+ persons instead?

I responded to that my friend. By all means call me a moron and run away because you lost the argument. 

We are up to our necks in this war, the humanitarian consequences are unimaginable and sticking our heads in the sand will make it worse. But you know that.

14 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

The fact is when the full story was known their reports during the first few weeks were closer to the truth than the BBC.

😂

15 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Ukraine is not in NATO though.

We all know that.

All the West can do, without increasing the chances of a bigger conflict, is do what they are doing now.

Sanctions, supplying military hardware and, you won't hear this on the news, undermining the invasion by mobilising and agitating existing groups inside the country. 

5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

So you want to start a bigger war using more troops and putting more people in harms way to reduce the number of casualties?

Explain how that would work?

So you want to sit back and let the Russians slaughter Ukranian people and remove their democratically elected govt. Explain how you can justify that?

Putin made it quite clear last week that he would restore the Russian empire and made particular reference to parts of Poland. Understand, the policy of sacrificing the Ukranian people, which you seem to be arguing for, will not stop Putin from doing what he's doing. Learn the lessons of History, get off your knees, and support the only action that has a hope of stopping the destruction of Europe. You know, it will be necessary, if not now, next week or next year, Putin will invade a NATO member. Tell me why you think that's not true.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Ukraine is not in NATO though.

We all know that.

All the West can do, without increasing the chances of a bigger conflict, is do what they are doing now.

Sanctions, supplying military hardware and, you won't hear this on the news, undermining the invasion by mobilising and agitating existing groups inside the country. 

I didn't say they were in NATO Boab. This is a shocking breach of International Law and hiding behind the NATO membership argument doesn't wash and isn't required. Putin will attack Poland sooner or later. Why wait and watch the war crime count rise until then? 

10 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not surprisingly, this thread is going the way of the Covid one.

did you really expect anything else to happen?

@MemeIIander

· 2h

Replying to @mojorise and @Liveuamap

Soldiers say they are out of gas. Driver offers to tow them back to russia. Everyone laughs. Russian soldiers ask for news on how they are doing in war. Driver tell them that Ukraine is winning, russians are surrendering and impliest that they should too

will-i-am-a-jambo
11 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

he is off the scale. I don’t think anyone can second guess what he is capable of. This isn’t ending well no matter what happens. He rules his own country by complete fear.  Been in power for what 20 years ? See what he does to anyone who dares oppose his leadership. An absolute nutcase who should never of been given the path to power

Depends what you mean by power. Putin was first President in 2000 until 2008 when Medvedev took over (Putin was Prime Minster at this point). Medvedev was President until 2012 when Putin stepped back up to President. Him and Putin were supposed to power share but Medvedev had more Western leanings. He was wanting to make Russia more democratic and modernise the state whereas Putin (a former KGB member) wanted to be more authoritarian. Putin seems to have got more power hungry as the years have gone on.  

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The blitz and carpet bombing were also not  traditional  parts of conventional warfare. Nor mass murder of civilians in concentration camps and ethnic cleansing. Nor until WW1 were years of trench warfare. 

I am sorry I derailed the thread last night by talking about conventional war when I meant non-nuclear war.

In my defense my mindset is set by growing up with the cold war where the choice was a war in which the Soviet Union would it was believed roll over Western Europe with its superior arms and manpower or a nuclear war the threat of which was meant to deter the first option. The current conflict may give some insight into whether Russia has the military strength to fight a conventional war on a larger scale than the current war.

The classic "conventional war" has not really existed for over a century as far as major conflicts are concerned. Korea may be the closest there has been to meeting the classic definition?

The only real hope is that the Russian military lose their stomach for this (unlikely) and/or opposition within Russia/Kremlin is strong enough to change the course that Putin is taking them down. Otherwise, sooner or later, we will be involved in a military sense through NATO.

29 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Why do people think Putin is going to stop when he has taken Ukraine. This is just the beginning. 

Because they don't have the resources to take a NATO country on.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Sorry to disagree, JF, but we have surely invented loads of weapons, biological ones in particular, that have not yet been used. It is the job of military scientists to invent weapons, sometimes very left-field ones that will not be used but serve as options or to develop defences if they were ever to be used by anyone else. Many never leave the drawing board.

Anyway, on a slightly different tack, some weapons that never made the grade:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/g1339/10-weapons-that-never-made-it/

Some of these never made it too: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/626561/strange-weapons-world-war-ii

17 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I didn't say they were in NATO Boab. This is a shocking breach of International Law and hiding behind the NATO membership argument doesn't wash and isn't required. Putin will attack Poland sooner or later. Why wait and watch the war crime count rise until then? 

But that's the thing here. Russia invoked Article 51 of the UN Charter as a reason to go in. We can all say that a self defence line is bollocks, and it probably is, but the fact remains they think they are defending the proto states inside Ukraine.
As for Poland, not a chance in hell as that would involve NATO directly.
No way this will go further than Ukraine.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Boab said:

But that's the thing here. Russia invoked Article 51 of the UN Charter as a reason to go in. We can all say that a self defence line is bollocks, and it probably is, but the fact remains they think they are defending the proto states inside Ukraine.

Stop being so positive.

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Georgia, Armenia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, the list goes on. If empire rebuilding is really one of Putin's aims, he could keep his army busy for a fair while.

Poland have now said that they can't play Russia in the upcoming WC play-off's.

Czech Rep & Sweden have also said they won't travel to Russia either.

Bit by bit Russia is being isolated around Europe.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Stop being so positive.

Still horrendous for the people of Ukraine though.
A tragedy because this will go on for a long time IMO.
The country halved in two is my estimate for the foreseeable.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Georgia, Armenia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, the list goes on. If empire rebuilding is really one of Putin's aims, he could keep his army busy for a fair while.

I said earlier in the thread the Black sea was pivotal in all this and still believe that. 
No evidence it will go further than Ukraine.

25 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

@MemeIIander

· 2h

Replying to @mojorise and @Liveuamap

Soldiers say they are out of gas. Driver offers to tow them back to russia. Everyone laughs. Russian soldiers ask for news on how they are doing in war. Driver tell them that Ukraine is winning, russians are surrendering and impliest that they should too

Pretty much par for the course in terms of Russian military operations.

Just now, Boab said:

I said earlier in the thread the Black sea was pivotal in all this and still believe that. 
No evidence it will go further than Ukraine.

Contrary to other posters, I don't think this is all a calculated series of moves by Putin. I think he has pretty much lost it. He should be treated as a loose cannon as regards his future moves and intentions - anything could happen.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry to disagree, JF, but we have surely invented loads of weapons, biological ones in particular, that have not yet been used. It is the job of military scientists to invent weapons, sometimes very left-field ones that will not be used but serve as options or to develop defences if they were ever to be used by anyone else. Many never leave the drawing board.

Anyway, on a slightly different tack, some weapons that never made the grade:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/g1339/10-weapons-that-never-made-it/

Some of these never made it too: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/626561/strange-weapons-world-war-ii

Yeah I didn't want to get into thunder generators and taser shockwaves and the like

23 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The only real hope is that the Russian military lose their stomach for this (unlikely) and/or opposition within Russia/Kremlin is strong enough to change the course that Putin is taking them down. Otherwise, sooner or later, we will be involved in a military sense through NATO.

The only thing NATO is going to do is supply them aid : arms, humanitarian and it's hapening now.

NL, Slovenia , Cz all sending hardware.

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Pretty much par for the course in terms of Russian military operations.

I saw a tweet saying "Russian army doing their best Wehrmacht cosplay".

I know I shouldn't laugh....

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine