Scottish Food

Sydney

I am trying to plan a perfect day of Scottish food for my family - breakfast, lunch and evening meal (dinner or tea, whatever its called these days - it was called tea when I was wee, but now I call it dinner - but when I was a school we had school dinners at lunchtime).  I'd love some suggestions on what should be included.  This isn't trying to be healthy, but it is trying to be Scottish (crisps in a roll and a can of Irn Bru have been ruled out though).

At the moment foods I am thinking about:

Porridge, Sliced Sausage Roll, Scotch Broth, cranachan, scampi (don't even know if its Scottish, but it feels it to me), smoked salmon, oatcakes, wee bit of haggis - maybe in a chicken balmoral but I have never had that.  Shortbread and tablet get in there too.

manaliveits105

Evening meal would definitely go for smoked salmon starter and cranachan dessert 

Aberdeen Angus steak with whisky sauce ? 
Venison 

Chicken Balmoral is nice but sometimes chicken dries out 

lunch Cullen Skink if you have access to smoked haddock - recipes easy to follow 

breakfast - if you go for Ayrshire bacon - sliced sausage - Stornaway black pudding - haggis - tattie scone - you won't be hungry by lunch - 

have a couple of filled morning rolls maybe 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Evening meal would definitely go for smoked salmon starter and cranachan dessert 

Venison 

lunch Cullen Skink if you have access to smoked haddock - recipes easy to follow 

breakfast - if you go for Ayrshire bacon - sliced sausage - Stornaway black pudding - haggis - tattie scone - you won't be hungry by lunch - 

Possibly your best ever post 🫶

I'm starving now, but I usually don't eat till after 10 am :(

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Venison 

cannae whack it. Wee bit if fudge and shortbread for nibbles afterwards, I'd throw in some Tunnocks products too!

Personally not big into seafood but crab and langoustines are options on the healthier side of the equation.

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Sydney said:

I am trying to plan a perfect day of Scottish food for my family - breakfast, lunch and evening meal (dinner or tea, whatever its called these days - it was called tea when I was wee, but now I call it dinner - but when I was a school we had school dinners at lunchtime).  I'd love some suggestions on what should be included.  This isn't trying to be healthy, but it is trying to be Scottish (crisps in a roll and a can of Irn Bru have been ruled out though).

Porridge, Sliced Sausage Roll, Scotch Broth, cranachan, scampi (don't even know if its Scottish, but it feels it to me), smoked salmon, oatcakes, wee bit of haggis - maybe in a chicken balmoral but I have never had that.  Shortbread and tablet get in there too.

You Cannae go wrong with Mince and Tatties.

Ministryofdad

Cullen skink was a massive shout for lunch. 

Dont go tonto for breakfast you won't want your tea. 

Pudding not been mentioned but sticky toffee pudding is Scottish 

westbow

Porridge for breakfast followed by toast with Scottish marmalade and a pot of tea. 
Lunch a couple of bacon rolls with brown sauce. A cup of coffee with a tunnocks tea cake.

That leaves room for a larger dinner:

starter-smoked salmon or pate with crusty bread

main-haggis neeps and mashed potatoes

dessert-clootie dumpling

Breakfast:
2x Square sausage roll, red bull, cigarette, methadone.

Lunch:
McDonalds, Tunnock's tea cakes, bottle of Buckfast, 1/2 gramme cocaine.

Dinner:

Munchy Box, Tennent's lager, White Lightning cider, big fat spliff.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Cullen Skink definitely needs to make an appearance.

Edit, Arbroath Smokies and Forfar bridies, too.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

martoon
27 minutes ago, Cade said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

😄

martoon
20 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Edit, Arbroath Smokies and Forfar bridies, too.

I'd be tempted to go Killie bridies. I forget the brand name of the top...but, man, they are something else.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Sydney said:

Swap the scampi for langoustines.

Highland Wagyu. Wild Sea Trout. Stornoway Black Pudding. Hebridean Scallops. Lagavulin. Tablet.

Incredible that this country gets such a bad rep for its food, when you consider the quality of produce that's out there.

23 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Scampi is just Italian for Langoustine.

highlandjambo3
34 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Not a chance unless you want to be disappointed (my opinion only of course).  I’ve had these fellas a number of times but never again……….you spend 5 minutes on each one of these little armoured barstewards, cracking, hammering, scooping and bashing away, and at the end there’s fek all there, complete waste of time and effort 🤷‍♂️.

And they're no cheap. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not a chance unless you want to be disappointed (my opinion only of course).  I’ve had these fellas a number of times but never again……….you spend 5 minutes on each one of these little armoured barstewards, cracking, hammering, scooping and bashing away, and at the end there’s fek all there, complete waste of time and effort 🤷‍♂️.

And they're no cheap. 

I generally only get them in Spain, and they're huge. I suppose we might sell the better ones here if more people bought them.

It's like razor clams, the ones in the shops here are tiny, go abroad and they're massive.

Breakfast:
Arbroath Smokies, served with malted brown bread and butter.
Toasted Plain bread with marmalade also on offer.

Tea break:
Traditional, all-butter Shortbread petticoat tails, pot of tea.
Tunnock's teacakes/caramel wafers/snowballs/caramel logs also on offer.

Lunch:
Cullen skink, more plain bread.
Smoked salmon on malted brown bread also on offer.
Alternative is a full Scottish fry-up featuring black pudding, lorne sausage, tattie scones and sliced haggis to go with the eggs, mushrooms, bacon, beans and toast. 

Afternoon tea:
Selection of tablet, fudge, Edinburgh rock, macaroons and other Scottish sweets, served with good coffee or a pot of tea.

Buttered bannock, Dundee cake, Clootie dumpling, black bun and other such baked products also on offer.

Dinner:
Scampi to start, either as part of a salad with seafood sauce; or breaded and deep fried, served with tartare sauce; or the langoustines simply dry-fried in a hot pan and served whole, with malted brown bread and butter. All versions served with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Optional soup course of cock-a-leekie, with more plain bread and butter.
Main is Balmoral Chicken (chicken breast stuffed with haggis and wrapped in bacon) served with seasonal veg and a whisky sauce.
Dessert is Cranachan.
Cheese course of oatcakes and other crackers with regional Scottish cheeses (from J Mellis of course) 
Coffee, whisky.

Open peat fire, 2012 Scottish Cup Final on telly. 

been here before

Anyone mentioned Stovies yet.

Skinless sausages or corned dug, either is acceptable.

Is Chicken Balmoral particularly Scottish?  Yeah, it’s got haggis in it - but as a dish it seems a bit made-up-for-tourists.  Certainly wasn’t a ‘thing’ when I was wee.

Cullen Skink, Broth, Cock-A-Leekie.

Haggis, Stornoway BP, Mince, Lorne Sausage, Arbroath Smokies, Forfar Bridies.

Raspberries, Tablet, Tunnocks Tea Cake.

Tea (not coffee)

Tatties & milk.

Edit:  Pastry & Bordeaux (kinda borrowed from France)

Edited by FWJ

hughesie27
4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Is Chicken Balmoral particularly Scottish?  Yeah, it’s got haggis in it - but as a dish it seems a bit made-up-for-tourists.  Certainly wasn’t a ‘thing’ when I was wee.

A dish can be Scottish without having to be ancient. Everything has to start at some point so I'd say it's Scottish. You are unlikely to come across Haggis made in many other countries.

AyrJambo
12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Tea (not coffee)

Tatties & milk.

Agree on Chicken Balmoral - not really Scottish

Good list

Would add

Mussels

Loch Fyne Oysters

Herring in Oatmeal

Oh and White Pudding Supper!!

been here before
22 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Tea (not coffee)

Tatties & milk.

Edit:  Pastry & Bordeaux (kinda borrowed from France)

Chicken Balmoral is the food equivalent to Highland Cathedral as far as being traditionally Scottish.

highlandjambo3
56 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I generally only get them in Spain, and they're huge. I suppose we might sell the better ones here if more people bought them.

It's like razor clams, the ones in the shops here are tiny, go abroad and they're massive.

True………I always thought sardines were only 2in long until I went on a bbq boat trip in Croatia…..fekin huge

highlandjambo3
52 minutes ago, been here before said:

Anyone mentioned Stovies yet.

Skinless sausages or corned dug, either is acceptable.

NO…….this has been debated to death on another post…..corned dobbie is corned beef hash and not stovies……….peasant 😁

Spellczech
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Highland Wagyu. Wild Sea Trout. Stornoway Black Pudding. Hebridean Scallops. Lagavulin. Tablet.

Incredible that this country gets such a bad rep for its food, when you consider the quality of produce that's out there.

Because many Scottish people only eat fish that is battered. Most of our shellfish goes to France, Portugal and Spain as raw ingredients for their cuisine because nobody will buy it here... I've also met a few people from the west who still won't eat fruit and veg as adults!

Spellczech
27 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I bought this so tourists could brows the scran we eat:

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

or we ate in the 17th century...

the posh bit

Breakfast - Sliced Haggis Roll. 

Lunch - Stephen's Bridie. 

Dinner - Mince Pie Supper with loads of salt and sauce. 

Lovecraft

Haddock poached in milk, then served with a cheese and parsley sauce made with the milk.  Served with new potatoes and butter.

haddock-with-mustard-and-wine-sauce-for-

Lovecraft
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

4am:

Remainder of munchy box, including congealed cold chips and kebab meat.   Big fat spliff.

Ray Gin
2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

+1

Lovecraft

Same again with Scotch Broth.  It's in the name FFS.

Scotch-Broth-Recipe-1.jpg

Unleash fart hell on your guests with the barley.

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Possibly your best ever post 🫶

I'm starving now, but I usually don't eat till after 10 am :(

Why don’t you eat till after 10am? 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Haddock poached in milk, then served with a cheese and parsley sauce made with the milk.  Served with new potatoes and butter.

I make that a Lot minus the tatties as they are too Starchy 

21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Because many Scottish people only eat fish that is battered. Most of our shellfish goes to France, Portugal and Spain as raw ingredients for their cuisine because nobody will buy it here... I've also met a few people from the west who still won't eat fruit and veg as adults!

Reminds me of a documentary I saw a few years back where they set up outside Parkhead and were asking people to name fruit and veg. Half the folk had no idea what a pineapple was!

Lovecraft
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I make that a Lot minus the tatties as they are too Starchy 

Yeah, you can have them with mashed tatties made from the milk too.  Lovely and creamy.

I just used to get new tatties with mine from the garden.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah, you can have them with mashed tatties made from the milk too.  Lovely and creamy.

I just used to get new tatties with mine from the garden.

I cook fish in various ways. It’s very versatile , my favourite food 

il Duce McTarkin
28 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

OOft.

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I cook fish in various ways. It’s very versatile , my favourite food 

I generally smear it in home-made curry paste, top with a couple of slices of lemon, wrap in foil, and fire in into the oven for a bit.

****ing magic. Can batch up a rake of it and freeze for a quick feed whenever the fancy takes you.

Not particularly Scottish, mind. Well not traditionally anyway.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I generally smear it in home-made curry paste, top with a couple of slices of lemon, wrap in foil, and fire in into the oven for a bit.

****ing magic. Can batch up a rake of it and freeze for a quick feed whenever the fancy takes you.

Not particularly Scottish, mind. Well not traditionally anyway.

Sounds delicious . I’ve had it with green pesto sauce smeared on it with some breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon and in oven for 20 minutes . ( foil and some virgin olive oil ) 

Ron Burgundy
16 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Reminds me of a documentary I saw a few years back where they set up outside Parkhead and were asking people to name fruit and veg. Half the folk had no idea what a pineapple was!

Most probably thought it was a made up safe word for when indulging in kinky acts.

On topic, never had cullen skink but definitely fancy it.

highlandjambo3
31 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I remember seeing the clip…..thick weegie fat bloke kept calling it an applepine 🤣🤣🤣🤣

highlandjambo3
54 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

or we ate in the 17th century...

True……I did mean to stick in the word “traditional” 😳, cutting the grass as well as raking out moss so I’m a tad distracted.

IMG_6116.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Breakfast:
Arbroath Smokies, served with malted brown bread and butter.
Toasted Plain bread with marmalade also on offer.

Tea break:
Traditional, all-butter Shortbread petticoat tails, pot of tea.
Tunnock's teacakes/caramel wafers/snowballs/caramel logs also on offer.

Lunch:
Cullen skink, more plain bread.
Smoked salmon on malted brown bread also on offer.
Alternative is a full Scottish fry-up featuring black pudding, lorne sausage, tattie scones and sliced haggis to go with the eggs, mushrooms, bacon, beans and toast. 

Afternoon tea:
Selection of tablet, fudge, Edinburgh rock, macaroons and other Scottish sweets, served with good coffee or a pot of tea.

Buttered bannock, Dundee cake, Clootie dumpling, black bun and other such baked products also on offer.

Dinner:
Scampi to start, either as part of a salad with seafood sauce; or breaded and deep fried, served with tartare sauce; or the langoustines simply dry-fried in a hot pan and served whole, with malted brown bread and butter. All versions served with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Optional soup course of cock-a-leekie, with more plain bread and butter.
Main is Balmoral Chicken (chicken breast stuffed with haggis and wrapped in bacon) served with seasonal veg and a whisky sauce.
Dessert is Cranachan.
Cheese course of oatcakes and other crackers with regional Scottish cheeses (from J Mellis of course) 
Coffee, whisky.

Open peat fire, 2012 Scottish Cup Final on telly. 

That is quality.  Thanks.

westbow

Scampi seems to be a catch all term for something from the sea fried in breadcrumbs- apparently in Cornwall it’s monkfish. I don’t reckon the local scheme chippy used anything that expensive- probably used seafoods equivalent of fish sticks.