Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

24 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

To be fair we've been taking an economic hit for 12 years, firstly from Gideon's austerity, then latterly from 'getting Brexit done' so getting bent over for a good cause will actually feel like a blessed relief. 

:D

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

RTÉ's David McCullagh asks the Russian ambassador to Ireland "Why should our government entertain your presence here when you're acting as an apologist for slaughter?", and signs off the interview by describing him as "ambassador of Russia to Ireland for the moment at least".

This is the same David McCullagh who listed the series of catastrophically stupid policy failures by the DUP on Brexit and asked one of their MPs "are you working for the other guys?"

Six-minute video, but the harder stuff is in the last 60-90 seconds.

Shame we can't get him for the BBC...

12 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Have to be honest, for me this is the joker in the pack - god knows what that nut job is capable off when trapped.

Given the paucity of previous reactions I'm actually quite impressed with the way the western world is coming together on this.

It does seem he's really misread the room.

Haven't read back so unsure if this has already been covered, but Belarus are holding a referendum to amend their constitution so that they can host Russian nuclear weapons.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We all gotta accept death, it gives you an edge :thumb: B.A Baracus.

Indeed. But there's a difference between accepting your own death and causing the deaths of other people by your reckless actions.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Any need for the crying himself to sleep at night pish?

He must do losts of crying if he is worried about women,kids and OAPs getting caught up in a war.

He didn’t say he was crying himself to sleep, that’s you making stuff up. I’ll admit I also had a tear in my eye when I first saw Russian people taking to the streets of Moscow and St Petersburg to demonstrate against Putin and the war. That is bravery right there. The look of fear in the faces of the unlucky ones getting dragged away and put in vans. These poor souls might never be seen again, but they risked their lives to stand up against something they know just isn’t right. 

11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

SmartSelect_20220227-123055_Telegram.jpg

Less than an hour ago Ukraine president said he will not  go to Belaruss for talks as they facilitated the invasion.

Gomel is in Belaruss. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Could be a puppet ‘alternative’ Ukrainian delegation?

Was my first thought too, Jonesy. Trying to sew division. Classic war tactic.

Kalamazoo Jambo
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

SmartSelect_20220227-124508_Telegram.jpg

Lots of confirmation from the Russian side, nothing from the Ukrainian side (at least yet). And we know the Russian government’s relationship with the truth.

26 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

SmartSelect_20220227-123055_Telegram.jpg

Surely, thats got to be fake news, or a fake Ukranian "delegation".         

Zelensky's reported reply to the Russian "offer" of negotiations in Minsk was brilliant.    Something along the lines of  -  "We would have been willing to meet in Minsk, but the attack which came from within Belarus has removed that possibility.  GIRFUY".  :notworthy:

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Sometimes I open posts by folk I have blocked just to see if they're still posting crap. And in your case, Herbert, unfortunately you are. What a piece of shit human being you appear to be.

If I'm a shit human being what does that makes the ones on here calling for us to goto war with Russia? 

16 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Usual Helpful contribution

Mate, you were having a pop at someone's lack of knowledge, an Irishman nonetheless, and spelled their bloody name wrong!

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

If I'm a shit human being what does that makes the ones on here calling for us to goto war with Russia? 

They're misguided as to the realities of war. I didn't call you out for anything to do with your views on the Russian invasion though, because I have no idea what they are. It's your distinct lack of empathy that is concerning. But let's not get ravelled up in that and take the thread off course. You are what you are.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They're misguided as to the realities of war. I didn't call you out for anything to do with your views on the Russian invasion though, because I have no idea what they are. It's your distinct lack of empathy that is concerning. But let's not get ravelled up in that and take the thread off course. You are what you are.

Says the oracle of everything.

Sometimes you just have to beat violence with violence. Talking to the deranged will get you nowhere, other than giving them time to regroup and push again.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Says the oracle of everything.

WTF. :D I just express my opinions, like everyone else on here, ri. What have I done to piss you off, except argue with you that the UK putting boots on Russian soil would be stupid as it would undoubtedly lead to nuclear conflict. You bored today or something?

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

And there we have it. Retaliation in kind, before they can.

That… is not how this works. You’re advocating for WWIII.

2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

“Special regime of duty”.

It shows Putin is on the back foot. Hopefully such nuclear talk will now embolden those who are in a position to replace him.

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, redjambo said:

It shows Putin is on the back foot. Hopefully such nuclear talk will now embolden those who are in a position to replace him.

It’s pretty clear he didn’t expect things to pan out as they have done.

That's him escalating the nuclear threat and that's without any direct NATO involvement.  Amply demonstrates what will result if NATO does become involved in conflict against Russian forces.

Time for an intra-gangster coup or military led coup on Putin,  if such a thing can happen.  

There's very little room for de-escalation left.

2 minutes ago, Pap said:

British boots on the ground (in a way)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60544838

The French Foreign Legion have reportedly stated that Ukrainians serving with them are more than welcome to return home with their full combat gear. Ukraine's newly-formed "International Brigade" may also be attracting a few new recruits shortly. This is definitely not going to be as easy for Putin as he thought it would be.

5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I wouldn’t be accepting any beverages if I was part of the Ukrainian delegation. 

:D Or even handshakes.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Tells you a lot about the faith he has in his generals :  he hasn't even committed his best forces/best weaponry into the field yet. 

He never thought the west would react the way it has and he never expected (or was never told by his generals ) the degree of resistance the Ukrainians would put up (this isn't Georgia, Ukraine has been at war for 8 years). 

There can only be one outcome but the cost to Russia is going to be huge  and he's probably realising that now. 

14 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

B60CEB2E-BC1D-4347-93DF-B1CB1A15AE6F.webp

Topical - he's actually in Ukraine at the moment filming a documentary. Or at least he still was at the end of the week.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Tells you a lot about the faith he has in his generals :  he hasn't even committed his best forces/best weaponry into the field yet. 

He never thought the west would react the way it has and he never expected (or was never told by his generals ) the degree of resistance the Ukrainians would put up (this isn't Georgia, Ukraine has been at war for 8 years). 

There can only be one outcome but the cost to Russia is going to be huge  and he's probably realising that now. 

So far it is an embarrassment for the Russian military, both equipment-wise and logistically, and a real threat to the Russian economy and the country's ability to have an influence internationally. Those around him must be looking at Putin now and thinking "Is a guy who is so out of touch with reality really someone who should be leading this country?" If he doesn't watch out, the Chechens might even take the opportunity of the movement of troops to Ukraine and launch an attack internally. On several levels, he has effectively opened up a can of worms he would have been advised to steer well clear of.

6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He must have known the response he was going to get from the majority of countries. Without a doubt years of power have corrupted his mind and he thought Russia was far stronger than it is. Would Ukraine accept a peace agreement that means they can’t join NATO? You’re right though the cost to Russia in so many ways is going to be huge. 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

So far it is an embarrassment for the Russian military, both equipment-wise and logistically, and a real threat to the Russian economy and the country's ability to have an influence internationally. Those around him must be looking at Putin now and thinking "Is a guy who is so out of touch with reality really someone who should be leading this country?" If he doesn't watch out, the Chechens might even take the opportunity of the movement of troops to Ukraine and launch an attack internally. On several levels, he has effectively opened up a can of worms he would have been advised to steer well clear of.

We have to hope all these things are happening.  History shows how dictators act towards their own military top-brass when the expected progress starts  floundering.   Room 101 in the Kremlin might be receiving new visitors soon.😉

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

He must have known the response he was going to get from the majority of countries. Without a doubt years of power have corrupted his mind and he thought Russia was far stronger than it is. Would Ukraine accept a peace agreement that means they can’t join NATO? You’re right though the cost to Russia in so many ways is going to be huge. 

Who expected Poland shaming Germany yesterday to the extent they've completely changed their stance on arms to Ukr and have committed to increased defence spending ? 

Not Vlad, that's for sure.

What terms would Ukr wnat/expect ? Who kows ? Nato membership is gone now anyway given the Russian occupation. What is Vald prepared to inflict , and will it escalate as/if Ukr resistance continues ? He said he doesn't even think Ukr should exist - where does he go from here ? 

Will he go down the Grozny route and reduce Kyiv to rubble - given he thinks and said he regards Uhraine as Russia(n) -  that's gonna be a problem back home. He really needs a quick win. 

2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Now, this seems credible… different location…

Yup. Still seems strange though. Initial negotiations to achieve baselines could have been done in a video call. There's a possibility that Lukashenko threatened Ukraine that he would join the Russian invasion if face-to-face talks were not held. At the very least, Ukraine will be delaying that Belarusian invasion by agreeing to the talks. All my guess of course.

CNN reporting about the potential peace talks on the Belarus border and that the Ukrainian delegation have safety guarantees from the Belarusians.

Francis Albert
36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The west may as well get rid of their nukes, seems Russia can do what they want.

Get rid of our nukes and you will see what Russia (and China) can really do.

Ukraine could agree to all sorts of things,  but will they be honoured by Russia?  Think UK - EU agreements / treaties kinda thing.  ;)

On the other side,  maybe Russia will 'settle' for some kind of objective achieving agreement as a get-out path from this specific escalation.  Slither back under their rock while declaring their actions successful.  Sit and stew for a while and revisit their aggression later.

If Putin isn't looking for an out then everyone's still in the shit.

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's him escalating the nuclear threat and that's without any direct NATO involvement.  Amply demonstrates what will result if NATO does become involved in conflict against Russian forces.

Time for an intra-gangster coup or military led coup on Putin,  if such a thing can happen.  

There's very little room for de-escalation left.

The look on the 2 top generals' faces when Putin told them, was less than enthusiastic to say the least.

You have to hope that the top brass in the military are thinking it's time to get rid of this nutcase.