Inflation

jamb0_1874

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

That was a hard read. I mean all of it not just the bit I have highlighted.

I know you are not writing it for sympathy but it should  strike a real chord with people .  I hope that your PIP application is successful ( I assume that's what you meant) . Yes and in my experience in working with people who I have referred to welfare advisors to help with PIP ( well it was DLA  when I did that job a few years back ) they always gets turned down the first time and are successful on appeal. Its another part of the whole inhumane aspect of it . However if you are successful with it it can be a gateway to some other benefits too.   

Cheers James. I'm grateful for what I've got, for many the only hope they ever have of getting a bit more cash in is dodgy dealing, having kids for 20 quid a week child benefit, or getting so crushed down that their mental health goes to **** and they become eligible for PIP.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Cheers James. I'm grateful for what I've got, for many the only hope they ever have of getting a bit more cash in is dodgy dealing, having kids for 20 quid a week child benefit, or getting so crushed down that their mental health goes to **** and they become eligible for PIP.

👍  good luck 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's this type of decadent, unsustainable lifestyle choice which results in poverty, James. Get yourself to Aldi.

Aldis ? Next you’ll be saying Liddl 😂

68629C5C-B53C-45CA-BF14-D02043840B6B.gif

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens in October, when the projected energy bills increase by yet another 30-60%.
The very poor in society will require meaningful (not token) government intervention, to keep their heating on this winter.

I reckon £1000 a year subsidies to the most vulnerable families. Clearly that will have to be paid for by the rest of us (whether by taxes or additional levies on our already extortionate bills). Alternatively, this Junta will need to slap a colossal windfall tax on the energy companies, so possibly a bit of both (?) but up to now, the Tories have resisted such a measure on the basis of no rationale whatsoever.

Doing nothing is not an option and if that is what happens, civil disobedience will IMHO, become even more likely.

Buckle up.

Tbf to the Tories they are now fully engaged in covering up their own financial chorying, sex scandals, previous lies and acts of national destruction, whilst waiting on the release of further reports of all of the above to have any time to spend sorting out the state they have made of the country. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's alright. Just take a Waitrose shopping bag with you so your neighbours never find out.

Like I’ve never thought of that ! 😂 no on serious note it’s hit and miss with some items in Aldi , sone good quality fresh fruit and veg but some other rank items too . They do have good camomile tea though !! 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Like I’ve never thought of that ! 😂 no on serious note it’s hit and miss with some items in Aldi , sone good quality fresh fruit and veg but some other rank items too . They do have good camomile tea though !! 👍

Yip, we've found this as well with many things in Aldi. 

frankblack

Still waiting for the Lidl to open in Corstorphine - it seems to have been under development since we came out of lockdown.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

And it's only going in one direction.

There's also a really strange thing going on, where poverty's spreading, but the only voices we seem to hear are comfortable and middle class.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that not a soul on this forum has a tough life, we're all success stories. Well I'm not, in 2022 I've finally had to give up working for health reasons. This month the universal credit I'll receive is £252, £8.40 a day (apparently I've received an overpayment in the past so there are reductions, it would normally be £324)

Of that I have to put 40 towards rent (even in my council place it's not all covered), probably 90 to gas and leccy, so that's 120 left for the month. There's internet, mobile, water part of council tax.

And then of course there's a month of food, dog food, pet insurance, etc. The car would be away if my family wasn't covering the insurance and helping out with diesel so I can still see them.

Never mind anything nice, or entertaining, or even a chippy one night, this is how those abstract skint people live, we wear extra jumpers and have a bath every 3 nights. Well either that or continuous, desperate credit splurges trying to make a desperate situation just a little better and getting deeper and deeper in the mire of debt.

I should get more in the end because of my condition but that takes months and it's very, very likely to be turned down first time. Thankfully the Scottish government are taking the benefit over in August, it's expected that the process will be much simpler, quicker, and far less cynical.

It's easy to look down on the have nots as undeserving, but whether I'm a gobshite or not, my situation hasn't come from irresponsible living. I was pretty comfortable and a burden to no one, but now I'm going through my stash :( 

Anyway, I'm sound, don't worry about me personally, but where I live there are a LOT of people who won't be getting extra, who don't have opportunities to get more, or family who can help, whose lives are already desperate.

I mean, what good does reducing council tax do when the most needy don't pay council tax?

That's horrific Smithee, genuinely sorry to hear you are ill mate and how difficult things have become. 

£252 a month is an utter disgrace, I don't know how anyone could live on that tbh. I vaguely remember you saying that you worked for a bank or something in the Netherlands in the past so I know going from being comfortable to that must be difficult. 

Everything you say is spot on. All we hear about is exactly that, folk that are relatively comfortable getting hit harder in the pocket but they are still better off than most. It's folk in your situation that will be hit hardest. 

I really hope things get a bit easier for you Smithee 🙏

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's horrific Smithee, genuinely sorry to hear you are ill mate and how difficult things have become. 

£252 a month is an utter disgrace, I don't know how anyone could live on that tbh. I vaguely remember you saying that you worked for a bank or something in the Netherlands in the past so I know going from being comfortable to that must be difficult. 

Everything you say is spot on. All we hear about is exactly that, folk that are relatively comfortable getting hit harder in the pocket but they are still better off than most. It's folk in your situation that will be hit hardest. 

I really hope things get a bit easier for you Smithee 🙏

Thank you, appreciated, I'll be grand. I thought a lot about posting it but this is more important than some vague idea of personal pride. I'm relatively fortunate (in a silver lining kind of way) but this group of people is growing and growing.

The government has to stop pretending it doesn't exist and start dealing with poverty, it's real, and with, inflation, food costs, another 40% on fuel coming as we head into winter, there's genuine trouble coming.

Edited by Smithee

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, we've found this as well with many things in Aldi. 

Yes i suppose i am just used to my local Sainsburys so just go there cause its not too far.  Mind you IM not that far from Aldi so might have a wee look in there again.  But like i said some of it is hit or miss regarding quality of goods. I bought 

their brand of " ginger nuts " ( dont laugh) think the brand was " Towergate" and they tasted awful.  Same with a few other items .  But you cant go wrong with milk and fruit and veg really. However i have heard their steaks are really good. 

WorldChampions1902

@Smithee just read your post from 6 hours ago. I’m very sorry to read about your situation and sincerely hope that your health and financial situation take a turn for the better soon. 🤞

One of the many striking things about what you describe is the fact that at any point in time, one can rapidly go from ‘doing OK’, to being in a very difficult situation indeed. “There but for the grace of God”, is the well-worn phrase. I would like to think that some of the posters on here would reconsider their views on the less fortunate people in society, especially those who fall on hard times through no fault of their own and despite their best efforts. But many won’t.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

@Smithee just read your post from 6 hours ago. I’m very sorry to read about your situation and sincerely hope that your health and financial situation take a turn for the better soon. 🤞

One of the many striking things about what you describe is the fact that at any point in time, one can rapidly go from ‘doing OK’, to being in a very difficult situation indeed. “There but for the grace of God”, is the well-worn phrase. I would like to think that some of the posters on here would reconsider their views on the less fortunate people in society, especially those who fall on hard times through no fault of their own and despite their best efforts. But many won’t.

Cheers, and totally agree of course

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

There's also a really strange thing going on, where poverty's spreading, but the only voices we seem to hear are comfortable and middle class.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that not a soul on this forum has a tough life, we're all success stories. Well I'm not, in 2022 I've finally had to give up working for health reasons. This month the universal credit I'll receive is £252, £8.40 a day (apparently I've received an overpayment in the past so there are reductions, it would normally be £324)

Of that I have to put 40 towards rent (even in my council place it's not all covered), probably 90 to gas and leccy, so that's 120 left for the month. There's internet, mobile, water part of council tax.

And then of course there's a month of food, dog food, pet insurance, etc. The car would be away if my family wasn't covering the insurance and helping out with diesel so I can still see them.

Never mind anything nice, or entertaining, or even a chippy one night, this is how those abstract skint people live, we wear extra jumpers and have a bath every 3 nights. Well either that or continuous, desperate credit splurges trying to make a desperate situation just a little better and getting deeper and deeper in the mire of debt.

I should get more in the end because of my condition but that takes months and it's very, very likely to be turned down first time. Thankfully the Scottish government are taking the benefit over in August, it's expected that the process will be much simpler, quicker, and far less cynical.

It's easy to look down on the have nots as undeserving, but whether I'm a gobshite or not, my situation hasn't come from irresponsible living. I was pretty comfortable and a burden to no one, but now I'm going through my stash :( 

Anyway, I'm sound, don't worry about me personally, but where I live there are a LOT of people who won't be getting extra, who don't have opportunities to get more, or family who can help, whose lives are already desperate.

I mean, what good does reducing council tax do when the most needy don't pay council tax?

Sorry to hear about your situation Smithee.

Putting banter and bluster on a football forum to one side, It sounds like you've fallen on hard times through no fault of your own.

You shouldn't have to fight for what you deserve and the pittance that you receive.

I hope it doesn't take you too long to get things sorted and you are able to get back on your feet :thumbsup:

Unknown user
20 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sorry to hear about your situation Smithee.

Putting banter and bluster on a football forum to one side, It sounds like you've fallen on hard times through no fault of your own.

You shouldn't have to fight for what you deserve and the pittance that you receive.

I hope it doesn't take you too long to get things sorted and you are able to get back on your feet :thumbsup:

Cheers, appreciate it 👍

joondalupjambo
On 27/04/2022 at 11:31, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely agree, how can making work pay when many have to still rely on benefits to survive, it just doesn't make sense to me either.

Making work pay should mean just that, that you don't need to rely on benefits anymore as your wage, even full-time minimum wage is enough to live off.

Yes, my thoughts as well. However the problem I always see is if we give people who genuinely need more, an increased wage then the folk who do not really need it will demand more.  The culture in the country is never for people to be equal, let alone near equal.  Is it because poor and struggling people are needed for many in society. We appear to be wanting to maintain a split in society and also a class system at all costs.

Just look at all these not for profit organisations now that exist.  Also do gooder's who access public cash and set themselves up in some non entity researching nonsense and calling themselves CEO's or Directors.  The struggling in society have created a brand new sector where many people make sizeable incomes and live off the back of the suffering.

It costs the Government comparatively little by way of an annual budget to pay benefits.  Why do we squeeze so hard the people who struggle the most? Why not increase that budget and help those most in need?

We should all be asking why we cannot, and more importantly why we will not introduce a new model in relation to work.  Why do we not want to at least attempt to eradicate poverty for those on the borderline?  What is so important that we must continue to have poverty on the scale we have?

The Empire was built on taking from others but not giving to many and that was bad enough.  However the days of the Empire have long gone so why do the people in power still take, take, take and give back so little in comparison?  Many are now at a loss as to why the situation is getting so bad.  It is becoming sadder as we become more experienced and wealthy as a nation.  

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Still waiting for the Lidl to open in Corstorphine - it seems to have been under development since we came out of lockdown.

Opening June apparently.

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Why do we not want to at least attempt to eradicate poverty for those on the borderline?

Id hazard a guess here. To keep people in their place.  If there is always the threat of poverty it frightens people and they tend to just accept their lot , which is usually not far of poverty levels. As someone else said " there for the grace of God go i" 

The Dragon Reborn
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope the extra money comes through quicker than you expect.

Remember the good people of JKB are always here if you need a moan/advice/laugh 🇱🇻👍🏻

The Dragon Reborn

Can’t help but feel there’s some very different levels on this thread of “struggling” due to inflation. The equivalent of folk complaining about a bad experience at the barber’s on an alopecia thread!

:cornette:

frankblack
42 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Opening June apparently.

Cheers.  Apparently there is supposed to also be a Gym in there, which is strange given David Lloyd is nearby.

joondalupjambo
51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Id hazard a guess here. To keep people in their place.  If there is always the threat of poverty it frightens people and they tend to just accept their lot , which is usually not far of poverty levels. As someone else said " there for the grace of God go i" 

So a deliberate policy carried out by multiple political parties over a long period of time?  Or just under a particular regime?  I would find it hard to not believe the former if I was being honest.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

So a deliberate policy carried out by multiple political parties over a long period of time?  Or just under a particular regime?  I would find it hard to not believe the former if I was being honest.

Not so sure if its " deliberate " but it can suit some Govts so they wont effectively do anything about it. 

Jambo_jim2001
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Thank you, appreciated, I'll be grand. I thought a lot about posting it but this is more important than some vague idea of personal pride. I'm relatively fortunate (in a silver lining kind of way) but this group of people is growing and growing.

The government has to stop pretending it doesn't exist and start dealing with poverty, it's real, and with, inflation, food costs, another 40% on fuel coming as we head into winter, there's genuine trouble coming.

Smithee have you claimed for LCWRA, it's extra on top of UC. When I was ill the Maggie's centre helped me out a great deal,I didn't have a clue what to do,and that's what I got on top of my UC . It made one hell of a difference back then👍 hope all works out well for you mate.

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Cheers.  Apparently there is supposed to also be a Gym in there, which is strange given David Lloyd is nearby.

Didn’t know that.

There’s a gym next to Lidl at Wester Hailes but I don’t know if that’s relevant or just a coincidence.

Jambo_jim2001
13 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

My auld man said that back in the 80s when Thatcher gave the right to buy your council home. The normal working person then had a financial noose around their neck so not to go on strike.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

Can’t help but feel there’s some very different levels on this thread of “struggling” due to inflation. The equivalent of folk complaining about a bad experience at the barber’s on an alopecia thread!

:cornette:

I think people are tying to add some humour to a serious subject, whilst also being able to display empathy and sensitivity  to others plight regarding this issue. A sense of humour in my experience gets one through a lot in life. 

humor_quotes_10-min_0.jpg

Edited by JamesM48

The Dragon Reborn
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think people are tying to add some humour to a serious subject, whilst also being able to display empathy and sensitivity  to others plight regarding this issue. A sense of humour in my experience gets one through a lot in life. 

humor_quotes_10-min_0.jpg

Hope you’re right.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, The Dragon Reborn said:

Hope you’re right.

It helps. Not a life saver but it can help. 

The Dragon Reborn
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

It helps. Not a life saver but it can help. 

You misunderstand. I mean I hope you’re right they’re being humorous. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

You misunderstand. I mean I hope you’re right they’re being humorous. 

I think some are being humorous but there will be the odd one who will not be able to understand poverty or its impact as they haven't experienced it. I always feel if you have experienced you may have more empathy with  others who have. 

The Dragon Reborn
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think some are being humorous but there will be the odd one who will not be able to understand poverty or its impact as they haven't experienced it. I always feel if you have experienced you may have more empathy with  others who have. 

Definitely 👍🏻

Unknown user
1 hour ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope the extra money comes through quicker than you expect.

Remember the good people of JKB are always here if you need a moan/advice/laugh 🇱🇻👍🏻

Cheers, and I rely on these moany *******s daily!

58 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Smithee have you claimed for LCWRA, it's extra on top of UC. When I was ill the Maggie's centre helped me out a great deal,I didn't have a clue what to do,and that's what I got on top of my UC . It made one hell of a difference back then👍 hope all works out well for you mate.

Aye, but thank you 👍

Section Q
On 03/05/2022 at 03:49, joondalupjambo said:

Yes, my thoughts as well. However the problem I always see is if we give people who genuinely need more, an increased wage then the folk who do not really need it will demand more.  The culture in the country is never for people to be equal, let alone near equal.  Is it because poor and struggling people are needed for many in society. We appear to be wanting to maintain a split in society and also a class system at all costs.

Just look at all these not for profit organisations now that exist.  Also do gooder's who access public cash and set themselves up in some non entity researching nonsense and calling themselves CEO's or Directors.  The struggling in society have created a brand new sector where many people make sizeable incomes and live off the back of the suffering.

It costs the Government comparatively little by way of an annual budget to pay benefits.  Why do we squeeze so hard the people who struggle the most? Why not increase that budget and help those most in need?

We should all be asking why we cannot, and more importantly why we will not introduce a new model in relation to work.  Why do we not want to at least attempt to eradicate poverty for those on the borderline?  What is so important that we must continue to have poverty on the scale we have?

The Empire was built on taking from others but not giving to many and that was bad enough.  However the days of the Empire have long gone so why do the people in power still take, take, take and give back so little in comparison?  Many are now at a loss as to why the situation is getting so bad.  It is becoming sadder as we become more experienced and wealthy as a nation.  

As long as the British class system exists, poverty in the UK will continue to thrive, and the poor will take the brunt, (and the blame), when the economy takes a hit. The blatant theft of tax payers money when the pandemic arrived was done in plain sight. The govt and the press will predictably blame the disadvantaged for our predicament. It amazes me how many  members of the public believe this crap. Rule Brittania and all that crap.....!

Section Q
On 02/05/2022 at 20:16, Smithee said:

I hope things improve for you soon matey. Easy for us to offer encouragement when we hear stuff like this. The system needs changing.

The Mighty Thor

whilst your bills are going up........

BP have reported profits for the last quarter of $6.5 billion which is more than 50% above expectations. 

:profit::munny:

Jambo_jim2001
10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

whilst your bills are going up........

BP have reported profits for the last quarter of $6.5 billion which is more than 50% above expectations. 

:profit::munny:

Pity, most ,if not all of it goes abroad...Thatcher and co. sure sold the crown jewels.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Section Q said:

I hope things improve for you soon matey. Easy for us to offer encouragement when we hear stuff like this. The system needs changing.

Thanks, appreciated.

All I can say is that human beings need to stop voting for the right, my story's creeping closer and closer to home. All it takes is a bit of bad luck.

Section Q
On 03/05/2022 at 19:01, Smithee said:

Thanks, appreciated.

All I can say is that human beings need to stop voting for the right, my story's creeping closer and closer to home. All it takes is a bit of bad luck.

Amazing to think British people can still vote for a far right political party. 

There'll be some poor ******* sat at home with an empty fridge singing "rule Brittania"...!

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Section Q said:

There'll be some poor ******* sat at home with an empty fridge singing "rule Brittania"...!

And they'll be blaming their empty fridge on the brown faces that have come to the UK to take their jobs and benefits.

Farage was out in the channel yesterday feeding that nonsense.

Nucky Thompson
48 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I can only think of the BNP and not many people vote for them

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I distinctly remember Yaxley-Lennon endorsing Boris for PM

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Even the BNP didn't countenance sending asylum seekers to internment camps in Rwanda.

Maybe you need to think a bit harder. Maybe you need to think. 

WorldChampions1902
18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:facepalm:

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

:facepalm:

What other far right political parties are in the UK?

WorldChampions1902
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What other far right political parties are in the UK?

So, none of the following is familiar to you? Really?

6F580332-67D5-41B1-B680-8C7A050D812B.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
On 02/05/2022 at 13:51, jonesy said:

It's this type of decadent, unsustainable lifestyle choice which results in poverty, James. Get yourself to Aldi.

I took some of your advice and went to Lidl today. Haven't been there in years and its not that far from me as I've just got used to Sainsburys.  Certainly a lot cheaper than Sainsburys for similar items. Even had fruit gums which were 79p compared to £1.30 in  Sainsburys.  Result.   Great selection of fruit and veg.   Plenty other bargains too  so ill be shopping there regular . 

Jambo_jim2001

I found the further east you went in Europe the more far right the younger ones were,a fair few though decent,scared the **** out off me with their ideals. Guess that's what happens living under the communist cosh.

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I took some of your advice and went to Lidl today. Haven't been there in years and its not that far from me as I've just got used to Sainsburys.  Certainly a lot cheaper than Sainsburys for similar items. Even had fruit gums which were 79p compared to £1.30 in  Sainsburys.  Result.   Great selection of fruit and veg.   Plenty other bargains too  so ill be shopping there regular . 

I use farmfoods for some stuff plus money off vouchers.. The mayflower Curry's amazing. Young's fish products very well priced👍

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I use farmfoods for some stuff plus money off vouchers.. The mayflower Curry's amazing. Young's fish products very well priced👍

Yes I like the Young’s fish products too . Esp the cod ones