Novak Djokovic

Muppetboy

27 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Just back from France and it was mandatory to show your vaccine passport for everywhere you went, cafe's, pubs, museums the lot, and they were pretty strict with it. The unvaccinated can go nowhere fun.

Neither can vegetarians.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• redjambo

• escobri

• Geoff Kilpatrick

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No 1 can’t compete and defend his title due to procedural and frankly ridiculous circumstances makes this tournament worthless. Whoever wins it should have an asterisk beside their name. 

Agreed

29 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He admitted the “mistake” himself so no way back from that imo. 

If he has failed to follow the rules then he gets treated like every other person but using phrases like "public interest", "good order" and "health" is vague.

Law broken? Say it and deport him.

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No 1 can’t compete and defend his title due to procedural and frankly ridiculous circumstances makes this tournament worthless. Whoever wins it should have an asterisk beside their name. 

What a stupid post. Can we go through slams he has won and if Federer, Nadal, Murray and Stan missing with injury, put asterisk beside them. 

Presume Snakebite has asterisk after winning world darts as MVG pulled out because of covid.

You can go through loads of sporting events and players miss them all the time because of various factors. That's just life.

If you are in tournament and win it, then well done, you deserve it, and no stupid asterisks.

Novak ****ed up, nobody to blame but himself. Shame he and his adoring fans can't recognise that.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

If he has failed to follow the rules then he gets treated like every other person but using phrases like "public interest", "good order" and "health" is vague.

Law broken? Say it and deport him.

Absolutely. It’s been timed to cause him the most trouble imo. 

15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What a stupid post. Can we go through slams he has won and if Federer, Nadal, Murray and Stan missing with injury, put asterisk beside them. 

Presume Snakebite has asterisk after winning world darts as MVG pulled out because of covid.

You can go through loads of sporting events and players miss them all the time because of various factors. That's just life.

If you are in tournament and win it, then well done, you deserve it, and no stupid asterisks.

Novak ****ed up, nobody to blame but himself. Shame he and his adoring fans can't recognise that.

Difference is Djokovic is fit and well to play. He is in the country. Those other occasions you talk about the players weren’t. MVG had covid, so couldn’t continue. 

I P Knightley
43 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would you have said the same if Djoko had abided by Australia's rules on the unvaccinated and stayed away from the tournament?

dobmisterdobster
11 hours ago, indianajones said:

True. 

Although the 'I've been vaccinated' Facebook photograph frames are equally as cringe. 

This. Nobody cares about your medical history.

People need to mind their own business.

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Would you have said the same if Djoko had abided by Australia's rules on the unvaccinated and stayed away from the tournament?

No. Because he chose not to defend his title. He is there, healthy and willing to defend it. 

3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

This. Nobody cares about your medical history.

People need to mind their own business.

Agreed . Nosey bar stewards .

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No. Because he chose not to defend his title. He is there, healthy and willing to defend it. 

Except he lied on visa form and shouldn't be in country.

Geoff Kilpatrick
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He tried to game the whole thing and showed little but deceit and disrespect.  He's due no favours in return.  

As did Tennis Australia with the "plausible deniability" of the VIC Government.

I P Knightley
14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

But not qualified to enter it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

As usual in these circumstances, the average punter would have been binned and sent home on day one, end of story.

This guy has lied and tried to use his fame to override the rules. **** him (and send him home on a boat instead of a plane)

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

As usual in these circumstances, the average punter would have been binned and sent home on day one, end of story.

This guy has lied and tried to use his fame to override the rules. **** him (and send him home on a boat instead of a plane)

We don't normally agree on much, if anything at all, but we do on this one. The average punter would have been sent home without a moment's hesitation, and most probably also given a 3 year ban on applying for another visa, and that in itself shows how much there is one law for the privileged and one for the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We don't normally agree on much, if anything at all, but we do on this one. The average punter would have been sent home without a moment's hesitation, and most probably also given a 3 year ban on applying for another visa, and that in itself shows how much there is one law for the privileged and one for the rest of us.

Exactly, just look at the female tennis player who was kicked out of Australia

54 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think Novak is more at risk there than being back home

Since when did you care how many "cases" were reported? All about the deaths isn't it?

Australia:  99 deaths per million.

Serbia: 1,497 deaths per million.

Monaco; 1,109 deaths per million.

jack D and coke

Good news coming out of Oz is that Andy has reached the final of the Sydney open. 
Be great to see him win something again regardless of the stature of the event after his injuries. 

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good news coming out of Oz is that Andy has reached the final of the Sydney open. 
Be great to see him win something again regardless of the stature of the event after his injuries. 

Just watched Dan Evans win the second set tie break something like 15-13 to take his match to a deciding set. I take it that's the same tournament so possible all British final, doubt that happens often. (assuming it's the same)

Edit:  it is the same tournament.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Just watched Dan Evans win the second set tie break something like 15-13 to take his match to a deciding set. I take it that's the same tournament so possible all British final, doubt that happens often. (assuming it's the same)

Excellent👌🏼

I'd put him on the first plane leaving Australia to anywhere, and if he didn't meet that countries covid rules, well fecking tough, shouldn't have tried to cheat and lie his way into Australia.

As others have said, if that were you or I, we'd be on the first plane back out.

So, Novak to be free until a friendly chat with immigration officials tomorrow morning. He will then be taken into detention, ready for another hearing on Sunday in the Federal Court. As far as I can see, anyway.

I know there might be politics involved. 

But after making an arse of the first deportation, the Government clearly want to get this right. They also have said that Djokovic lawyers have sent them masses of documents so presumably they had to check everything carefully. 

Should be straightforward now with an appeal hearing on Sunday. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

* vaccinated 

Of course there is an outside chance that Novak will have a word with his lawyers and decide to head home tomorrow anyway. His preparations have already been adversely affected by recent events, and I would imagine that he would probably consider it a moral victory to head back to Europe. He knows he will have several more opportunities to break the record regarding the number of grand slams, and there may also be a wee bit in his head saying that the Ozzie fans will be pretty much antagonistic towards him during the tournament. I don't think he minds being the "villain", in fact it might motivate him, but perhaps not to that extent.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Of course there is an outside chance that Novak will have a word with his lawyers and decide to head home tomorrow anyway. His preparations have already been adversely affected by recent events, and I would imagine that he would probably consider it a moral victory to head back to Europe. He knows he will have several more opportunities to break the record regarding the number of grand slams, and there may also be a wee bit in his head saying that the Ozzie fans will be pretty much antagonistic towards him during the tournament. I don't think he minds being the "villain", in fact it might motivate him, but perhaps not to that extent.

Yes he’s won the moral war , Australia have lost big time . He will get his 21 titles there’s no doubt about that , just when is the question . 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes he’s won the moral war , Australia have lost big time . He will get his 21 titles there’s no doubt about that , just when is the question . 

It's not guaranteed he will get 21, how long have people said similar about Serena Williams getting that title that would take her to the top of the list

Just now, milky_26 said:

It's not guaranteed he will get 21, how long have people said similar about Serena Williams getting that title that would take her to the top of the list

1. He’s stlll playing superb tennis . Won slams last year and one match from the grand slam. 

2 Federer is finished . Nadal not at his best now 

2 The younger players stlll have to make that leap to grand slam wins . However possible Mendevev ( I can’t spell it just in case someone picks up on it ) is his main challenge 

3 . Serena was 37 when she started to try and get the elusive 24th . Unfortunately for her new players have came along and some have been very good and de throned her ( Osaka and others ) I still wouldn’t say she is passed it though . I think and hope she might do it at either Wimbledon or the Us open . If not it’s time to call it a day . 

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

100% agree with you. Do you think his sponsors might be the ones behind his decision to fight this instead of skulking back to wherever he lives. The entitled ***** 

59 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

51 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Excellent👌🏼

Hibsed it. 😟

2 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

100% agree with you. Do you think his sponsors might be the ones behind his decision to fight this instead of skulking back to wherever he lives. The entitled ***** 

To be honest, no. He will have received a lot of encouragement to fight against the decision from his entourage and his family, but it will have been primarily his shout, imo, and his sponsors would probably prefer that there wasn't so much controversy surrounding him at the moment.

A Boy Named Crow
17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What did Australia lose here, that anybody in Australia gives a rat's ass about? Melbourne did covid tougher than most places, I'd say it's fairly understandable that an entitled tosser, lying his way around the covid rules, would get a somewhat frosty reception. If he does end up getting shipped off home, it's exactly what most folk here want to happen*

*Actually there was a poll that showed more people wanted Scott Morrison deported than Novak Djokovic...but ScoMo is a whole other level of tosser!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Djokovic form and fitness, and the state of the competition he's heading for 30 Grand Slams.

Whatever he thinks personally I think he'll take all this in his stride.

He may need to manage his reputation a bit but Covid isn't so clear cut that say faking a positive test is a terminal mistake. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Djokovic form and fitness, and the state of the competition he's heading for 30 Grand Slams.

Whatever he thinks personally I think he'll take all this in his stride.

He may need to manage his reputation a bit but Covid isn't so clear cut that say faking a positive test is a terminal mistake. 

👍

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

No all GB final as Evans loses in 3 sets. Hopefully Murray wins final, just to remind rest of GB players who real GB no 1 is.

My mate is unvaccinated. He has lived in Australia for 15 plus years. In December he came over here for a month to attend a funeral and is now trying to return home. In the week before Christmas he caught covid.

Yesterday, at his changeover in Dubai, he was stopped from boarding the flight to Oz. Despite many attempts to gain approval to travel by the Australian authorities he is now about to get on a flight back to Glasgow. He has to come back, get his vaccinations and then try to get back home again.

But aye, Djokovic should be allowed to stay to play in a tennis tournament.

If the man has any self dignity left he would just say "feck-this" and jump on the next flight home!

If he's deported he wont be back for 3 years. If he leaves on his own accord, the rules may have changed next January and he can compete next year....or he wont ever win it again as he will miss this one and the next 3.

23 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

My mate is unvaccinated. He has lived in Australia for 15 plus years. In December he came over here for a month to attend a funeral and is now trying to return home. In the week before Christmas he caught covid.

Yesterday, at his changeover in Dubai, he was stopped from boarding the flight to Oz. Despite many attempts to gain approval to travel by the Australian authorities he is now about to get on a flight back to Glasgow. He has to come back, get his vaccinations and then try to get back home again.

But according to his family & his fans, it's Djokovic that's being unfairly treated, aye right, if that was you or I we'd have been put on the first plane back home.

15 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

If the man has any self dignity left he would just say "feck-this" and jump on the next flight home!

If he's deported he wont be back for 3 years. If he leaves on his own accord, the rules may have changed next January and he can compete next year....or he wont ever win it again as he will miss this one and the next 3.

The 3 year rule isn't written in stone and can be waived, which it no doubt would be in this case.

Adam_the_legend
38 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Australia’s ridiculous rules aside, Djokovic isn’t applying to live in Oz so not sure why you think it’s an equal comparison. If Australia wants to apply these rules to their residents/citizens that’s one thing but he’s just visiting for a couple of weeks. Elections coming up in Oz, it’s a completely political move by the government. 

15 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Australia’s ridiculous rules aside, Djokovic isn’t applying to live in Oz so not sure why you think it’s an equal comparison. If Australia wants to apply these rules to their residents/citizens that’s one thing but he’s just visiting for a couple of weeks. Elections coming up in Oz, it’s a completely political move by the government. 

Yep thats what it is all about. They could have just tested him . Absolute drama queens really. Pathetic. 

Malinga the Swinga
15 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

If any non celebrity visitor tried to get onto Australia by lying on visa form, they would be refused entry, regardless of visit time.

Djokovic is lying through his nose, been caught out and is now playing victim.

He has attracted some support from those who have their own axe to grind, or who for some unknown reason, believe a tennis player should be above law.

Didn't see the demos when the Czech female play booted out, but then again, maybe she want celebrity enough to get their support 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

But he knew he would not be allowed back if he wasn't vaccinated? Or is it different for Aussie residents?