Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• redjambo

• escobri

• Geoff Kilpatrick

A Boy Named Crow
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Legal challenge incoming.

That could be entertaining. If he takes part in the first round of the AO next week,  pending the hearing, the crowd will be feral! 

Good news but Australia hasn't exactly handled the whole thing well. They should have just stuck to their rule, no vaccine no entry, end of story

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Good news but Australia hasn't exactly handled the whole thing well. They should have just stuck to their rule, no vaccine no entry, end of story

It should have been done on Monday evening.

The Feds being lazy and incompetent as usual.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It should have been done on Monday evening.

The Feds being lazy and incompetent as usual.

The idea is that they've done it now in order to give Novak very little time to appeal before the tournament starts.

Hopefully this time they have a different, better, legal team, and the guys on the ground also execute their procedural moves to the letter so as to not give judicial leeway.

10 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Indeed. Novak's application for a visa should have been rejected, full stop.

14 minutes ago, narre said:

Also comes with a 3 year ban:sweeet:

To be fair, this can be waived and almost certainly will be.

Fxxx the SPFL
37 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

That could be entertaining. If he takes part in the first round of the AO next week,  pending the hearing, the crowd will be feral! 

Can’t wait for that lying bassa 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59991762

Australia has revoked tennis star Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time in a row over his right to remain in the country unvaccinated.

The decision by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke on "health and good order" grounds means he could be deported.

However, the 34-year-old Serbian can still launch another legal challenge to remain in Australia.

The men's tennis number one was scheduled to play in the Australian Open, which begins on Monday.

"Today I exercised my power... to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so," the minister said in a statement.

The move also means Djokovic likely faces a three-year ban on obtaining a new Australian visa - although this can be waived.

45 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

That would be chaotic and rather fun, but I don't think it will happen. If Novak's lawyers decide to fight the visa cancellation, then it is most likely that he will be placed back in detention, imo.

Is he being deported because of irregularities with his application?  Fair enough. 

Is he being deported because it’s embarrassing the Aussie government? That’s sinister and we would be going mental if Boris did that. 

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That would be chaotic and rather fun, but I don't think it will happen. If Novak's lawyers decide to fight the visa cancellation, then it is most likely that he will be placed back in detention, imo.

If Novak did take them on and won his case he would be looking for around £1.6M in potential lost earnings. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is he being deported because of irregularities with his application?  Fair enough. 

Is he being deported because it’s embarrassing the Aussie government? That’s sinister and we would be going mental if Boris did that. 

He lied on his application, it should have been revoked straight away. Looks like the timing is planned and a little spiteful. 😂

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If Novak did take them on and won his case he would be looking for around £1.6M in potential lost earnings. 

This case isn't about earnings, it's about reversing the visa cancellation.

The loss of financial earnings, damage to reputation, mental anguish caused by the events, etc. sueball will no doubt be forthcoming, even possibly if Novak is allowed to stay in the country and compete.

10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He lied on his application, it should have been revoked straight away. Looks like the timing is planned and a little spiteful. 😂

:pleasing:

Geoff Kilpatrick
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The answer is both 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I don't think the government expected to lose the last case on procedural grounds. Therefore they've no doubt made efforts this time around to ensure that their case is water-tight. The government's public approval and reputation, and perhaps also a large chunk of Australia's Covid immigration policy, could stand on the results of this case, and they don't want to take the chances of failing yet again. I imagine that effectively squeezing the time that Novak's team has to respond might be a part of the resultant strategy to get the job done, but there is a possibility that it might backfire if a judge gets prickly about it.

14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Has that actually been proven (beyond social media commentary)?

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Djokovic put out a statement stating that someone in his team made an error on the application. Whether or not it is a genuine error and who made the error is largely irrelevant. If Djokovic signed the document he is responsible.

Immigration minsters reason is that 'he may pose a public health risk' which is simply not true so I'd imagine an appeal is already in the post. 

Guys an idiot. The breaking of his countries rules when positive because he didn't want to let the journalist down is beyond stupid. 

Not a great look for their country at all . Strikes of malice and spite . Sad really . However Novak should get rid of whom ever royally decked it all up . He’s stuck by his principles no matter what . Not many people do that nowadays , just look at the sleaze emanating for the U.K. govt . 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do you mean the bit about the timing of the positive test, or the travelling to other countries? If it's the latter, Novak has blamed his agent for human error in "ticking the wrong box".

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not a great look for their country at all . Strikes of malice and spite . Sad really . However Novak should get rid of whom ever royally decked it all up . He’s stuck by his principles no matter what . Not many people do that nowadays , just look at the sleaze emanating for the U.K. govt . 

Has he though? Seems to me, if he was so principled, he wouldn't be entering Australia at all. Almost if there was some financial motivation for him to enter the tournament or soemthing.

Djokovic, should just ho back to Serbia and say feck it. I will win the French, Wimbledon, or US open later in the year. He doesn't need the hassle or money.

The Australian open will survive, and all will be forgotten in a month or so, when the media have Lewis Hamilton and F1 to concentrate on.

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

Has he though? Seems to me, if he was so principled, he wouldn't be entering Australia at all. Almost if there was some financial motivation for him to enter the tournament or soemthing.

He  was reigning champ so probably trying to show some loyalty to the tournament . It’s a shame they didn’t reciprocate 

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Djokovic, should just ho back to Serbia and say feck it. I will win the French, Wimbledon, or US open later in the year. He doesn't need the hassle or money.

The Australian open will survive, and all will be forgotten in a month or so, when the media have Lewis Hamilton and F1 to concentrate on.

Yea I actually agree with this . The winner will be tainted as the number one seed is bombed out but that won’t worry them I suppose . So come on Mendeved 

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

He  was reigning champ so probably trying to show some loyalty to the tournament . It’s a shame they didn’t reciprocate 

Yea I actually agree with this . The winner will be tainted as the number one seed is bombed out but that won’t worry them I suppose . So come on Mendeved 

It’s not really James. He ****ed up. Simples. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

What? The actual tournament bent over backwards to get Novak into the country and the tournament, despite his non-vaccinated status.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's if the French open will have him. Macron not exactly a fan of the unvaccinated at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's if the French open will have him. Macron not exactly a fan of the unvaccinated at the moment. 

He never does that well there anyway so he’s probably not that bothered . 

48 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Just back from France and it was mandatory to show your vaccine passport for everywhere you went, cafe's, pubs, museums the lot, and they were pretty strict with it. The unvaccinated can go nowhere fun.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

He admitted the “mistake” himself so no way back from that imo. 

No 1 can’t compete and defend his title due to procedural and frankly ridiculous circumstances makes this tournament worthless. Whoever wins it should have an asterisk beside their name.