• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• redjambo

• escobri

• Geoff Kilpatrick

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Ah, so in your frenzied imagination you're better than me. I get it, we all need a bit of fantasy in our lives.

The frenzied imagination is all yours, Smithee. No short of fantasy in your wee life going by your content here.  

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

The frenzied imagination is all yours, Smithee. No short of fantasy in your wee life going by your content here.  

Aye ok Lord Snooty I'm away to surf a couch

:bwcornette:

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

You’ve called it spot on imo. He certainly seems to hate success and the wealth that brings. 

🤚

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, kila said:

Certainly can't fault James' commitment to being the top poster in all the coronavirus threads :laugh:

Even though they're a lot of pish. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Certainly can't fault James' commitment to being the top poster in all the coronavirus threads :laugh:

Really? I really thought he'd been really, really subdued after Corona V had really entered him really. Really buggered if I can remember his favourite word, really! :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Proper statistics 

0.002% or 0.0001%. Proper massive.

Edited by Gordon Zola

Geoff Kilpatrick
59 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Wrong! So, so wrong.

As I've said before, Djokovic is a cause celebre for 3 reasons: -

1. The Victorian Government making a big deal about "locking out" the unvaxxed (for the record, unvaxxed people are not allowed in bars, restaurants or to obtain personal services, such as a haircut, here. They also cannot attend events like the AO). When asked if that extended to vaccination for the Australian Open, Daniel Andrews said that if spectators and officials had to be vaxxed then the players should be. This was when it was suspected that Djokovic was unvaxxed given his prior behaviour and statements.

2. Before the players arrived, Tennis Australia and the VIC Government stating that the players would be vaxxed and some had "medical exemptions". This was taken by the cynics that someone like Djokovic would magically find themselves on Rod Laver with an "exemption". This is because Tennis Australia wants to shift tickets and the VIC Government also spent a lot of money on the facilities and courts at Melbourne Park. Melbourne sells itself as a destination on events like the tennis and the Grand Prix.

3. Djokovic then spoils the party by publicly announcing his exemption. Governments, at both Federal and State level, shit themselves given that they can't be sleekit anymore and it is an election year for both of them. The public, rightly, point out that making a song and dance about restrictions given that the direction of travel here was to open up with minor restrictions but, since Omicron, restrictions such as masks inside were brought back. So imposition on the wider population but special treatment for an unvaxxed arsehole who thinks he is bigger than anything. 

Meanwhile, the Feds see an opportunity to distract from the lack of rapid tests and the accusations that they have done little during the pandemic, except close the borders in the early stages (Scomo built his "rep" on stopping the boats after all). This has now backfired on them and now whatever Scomo does, he is going to look like an arsehole (which he is, but leave that aside). He can either (a) instruct his minister to send him home which will look petty after Djokovic "won" his case (technically, all Djokovic won was that ABF didn't follow procedure correctly but the average punter doesn't understand nuance) or (b) do nothing, which makes his words on "rules are rules" look completely stupid.

So, while plenty will be happy to see Djokovic put back on a plane, the most effective way those people can express their protest is by not going to the tennis and not watching it. That's what I will be doing but that is because tennis is shite so I'm happy to relabel my disinterest into a boycott if it makes them feel better.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

45 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

0.002% or 0.0001%. Proper massive.

Very big 

2million v 100,000 equivalent 

Over 10,000 deaths more 

3 hours ago, kila said:

How are you defining that?

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

How are you defining that?

Number of posts in each topic though the side info bit not visible on the mobile site

I realise that 'top poster' could be mistaken to mean quality poster though ;)

A Boy Named Crow
56 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Wrong! So, so wrong.

As I've said before, Djokovic is a cause celebre for 3 reasons: -

1. The Victorian Government making a big deal about "locking out" the unvaxxed (for the record, unvaxxed people are not allowed in bars, restaurants or to obtain personal services, such as a haircut, here. They also cannot attend events like the AO). When asked if that extended to vaccination for the Australian Open, Daniel Andrews said that if spectators and officials had to be vaxxed then the players should be. This was when it was suspected that Djokovic was unvaxxed given his prior behaviour and statements.

2. Before the players arrived, Tennis Australia and the VIC Government stating that the players would be vaxxed and some had "medical exemptions". This was taken by the cynics that someone like Djokovic would magically find themselves on Rod Laver with an "exemption". This is because Tennis Australia wants to shift tickets and the VIC Government also spent a lot of money on the facilities and courts at Melbourne Park. Melbourne sells itself as a destination on events like the tennis and the Grand Prix.

3. Djokovic then spoils the party by publicly announcing his exemption. Governments, at both Federal and State level, shit themselves given that they can't be sleekit anymore and it is an election year for both of them. The public, rightly, point out that making a song and dance about restrictions given that the direction of travel here was to open up with minor restrictions but, since Omicron, restrictions such as masks inside were brought back. So imposition on the wider population but special treatment for an unvaxxed arsehole who thinks he is bigger than anything. 

Meanwhile, the Feds see an opportunity to distract from the lack of rapid tests and the accusations that they have done little during the pandemic, except close the borders in the early stages (Scomo built his "rep" on stopping the boats after all). This has now backfired on them and now whatever Scomo does, he is going to look like an arsehole (which he is, but leave that aside). He can either (a) instruct his minister to send him home which will look petty after Djokovic "won" his case (technically, all Djokovic won was that ABF didn't follow procedure correctly but the average punter doesn't understand nuance) or (b) do nothing, which makes his words on "rules are rules" look completely stupid.

So, while plenty will be happy to see Djokovic put back on a plane, the most effective way those people can express their protest is by not going to the tennis and not watching it. That's what I will be doing but that is because tennis is shite so I'm happy to relabel my disinterest into a boycott if it makes them feel better.

I think option a) is his least bad option. Sending Djokovic home will pay out well amongst voters,  even if it does look petty. He'll risk pissing off a few tennis fans, but they're arseholes anyway.

Option b) makes ScoMo look like a proper tit and hands Albo an open goal come the election. 

Personally,  I favour option a), but politically I hope he goes for b).

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think option a) is his least bad option. Sending Djokovic home will pay out well amongst voters,  even if it does look petty. He'll risk pissing off a few tennis fans, but they're arseholes anyway.

Option b) makes ScoMo look like a proper tit and hands Albo an open goal come the election. 

I think he will go (a) as well and I think Djokovic's own social media will be used against him as the "grounds" for revoking, given that he was out and about 24-48 hours after he apparently tested positive. That will cause a bigger diplomatic stoush with Serbia but no one really cares about that.

A Boy Named Crow
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think he will go (a) as well and I think Djokovic's own social media will be used against him as the "grounds" for revoking, given that he was out and about 24-48 hours after he apparently tested positive. That will cause a bigger diplomatic stoush with Serbia but no one really cares about that.

Is there still a Serbian team playing in the lower leagues here, from the pre A-League days? I'd steer clear for a while 😶

16 minutes ago, kila said:

Number of posts in each topic though the side info bit not visible on the mobile site

I realise that 'top poster' could be mistaken to mean quality poster though ;)

Felt it was important to clarify.

6 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Is there still a Serbian team playing in the lower leagues here, from the pre A-League days? I'd steer clear for a while 😶

I seem to remember that all the teams that were named after a country or forgiven city had to change their names. 

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I seem to remember that all the teams that were named after a country or forgiven city had to change their names. 

They did that when they created the A-League, more family friendly less ethnic violence...but I believe there's still teams like Sydney Olympic knocking about the less glamorous end of Australian fitba.

Oh dear, Novak has told the Aussie authorities porky pies on where he was in the the 2 weeks before he arrived in Australia. 12 months in prison shoved up your arse for falsifying your information. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Oh dear, Novak has told the Aussie authorities porky pies on where he was in the the 2 weeks before he arrived in Australia. 12 months in prison shoved up your arse for falsifying your information. 

This is the Feds desperate to find a way out that is not about vaccination. It's quite funny.

Although if Djokovic is deported, all sides lose, which is the best result from my perspective.

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

This is the Feds desperate to find a way out that is not about vaccination. It's quite funny.

Although if Djokovic is deported, all sides lose, which is the best result from my perspective.

Arrogance all round, but it's up to Australia, as far as I'm concerned, it's your country and you should decide, GK.

Edited by ri Alban

Should all have been sorted months ago. 

Best thing to come out of this is the revelation of the poor sods still holed up in the shoddy hotel that was ND's digs for only a few days. Some of them have been in limbo for years, and one report of a guy locked up for nine years awaiting a verdict...!

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Arrogance all round, but it's up to Australia, as far as I'm concerned, it's your country and you should decide, GK.

Prime Minister is a disaster. As someone mentioned, we're not far away from state and fed elections.

30 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Prime Minister is a disaster. As someone mentioned, we're not far away from state and fed elections.

That may well be. But I like the fact ND is not being treated any differently, to you me and the guy from wherever.

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Should all have been sorted months ago. 

Best thing to come out of this is the revelation of the poor sods still holed up in the shoddy hotel that was ND's digs for only a few days. Some of them have been in limbo for years, and one report of a guy locked up for nine years awaiting a verdict...!

Not even awaiting a verdict. He has his verdict and has confirmed refugee status, but they're waiting to send him to the US.

10 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think the person who deports someone from a country against legal advice to grab a few votes counts as the bigger arsehole here. 

12 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Good article. Some harrowing stories of people who were unable to see dying relatives due to their draconian restrictions. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Indeed, forgot to mention on his immigration form that he'd been in Spain prior to arrival in Australia, maybe covid's given him memory loss, because when he was supposed to be isolating he was in Serbia for Christmas and then in Spain afterwards, must have just forgot to isolate........or maybe he didn't have covid in the first place, a simple blood test would prove that either way, I'd had thought.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, forgot to mention on his immigration form that he'd been in Spain prior to arrival in Australia, maybe covid's given him memory loss, because when he was supposed to be isolating he was in Serbia for Christmas and then in Spain afterwards, must have just forgot to isolate........or maybe he didn't have covid in the first place, a simple blood test would prove that either way, I'd had thought.

Surely the most sensible thing should have been that he came to Australia a few weeks ago. Got a covid test and quarantined until result. End of. This could be  the same for anyone else. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Surely the most sensible thing should have been that he came to Australia a few weeks ago. Got a covid test and quarantined until result. End of. This could be  the same for anyone else. 

Yes, it would probably avoided all of this, assuming it was an option to arrive early and quarantine.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

He would still need to be vaccinated.

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think the person who deports someone from a country against legal advice to grab a few votes counts as the bigger arsehole here. 

That's debatable,  faking a positive test (or cutting about in public sans mask) trumps deporting such a person in the arsehole stakes... ScoMo is undoubtedly an arsehole too though

1 minute ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

That's debatable,  faking a positive test (or cutting about in public sans mask) trumps deporting such a person in the arsehole stakes... ScoMo is undoubtedly an arsehole too though

If he has faked it, of course.

If he has then hell mend him!

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Aye, that's why it's an either or. The reports would suggest one of the above happened. Both constitute arsehole behaviour. 

* original post should have said "cutting about in public sans mask after a positive test"

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

18 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That's what I find so bizarre about it. Australia have got themselves into a situation where they were going to let a guy in who'd had a positive test (albeit recovered in theory) but wouldn't let him in on the basis of just a negative test 😂😂

They may be the land down under but they appear to be upside down and back to front as well.

A simple blood test would sort this out, if he's had covid in the last month, then surely he'd have anti-bodies to it still in his system, if he's not got any, then he's on the first plane out of Australia and told never ever to come back again.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

That's what I find so bizarre about it. Australia have got themselves into a situation where they were going to let a guy in who'd had a positive test (albeit recovered in theory) but wouldn't let him in on the basis of just a negative test 😂😂

They may be the land down under but they appear to be upside down and back to front as well.

I think the argument is that someone that has had the disease will have a certain level of natural immunity. The papers that I've seen on the topic indicate that the immunity is lower than what you get from a vaccine. However, it appears to be high enough for the Australian Government to think that someone that has been recently infected is low enough risk to be allowed in.

Australian Government aren't finished yet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59946900

Australian border officials are investigating whether Novak Djokovic's travel entry form included a false declaration, Australian media report.

Djokovic's visa was revoked on arrival in Melbourne last week before being reinstated by a judge on Monday.

But Australia's immigration minister still has powers to re-cancel the visa and deport the unvaccinated player.

Djokovic - who is hoping to defend his Australian Open title next week - has not commented on the latest reports.

The 34-year-old Serb player's entry form stated he had not travelled in the 14 days before his arrival on 6 January.

Social media posts appear to show him in both Serbia and Spain during that fortnight.

7 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I think the argument is that someone that has had the disease will have a certain level of natural immunity. The papers that I've seen on the topic indicate that the immunity is lower than what you get from a vaccine. However, it appears to be high enough for the Australian Government to think that someone that has been recently infected is low enough risk to be allowed in.

I get that, but guess what's even less risk though? Someone who doesn't have Covid. 

Negative test, hotel and team bubble, play tournament, leave. He'd be there 3 weeks.

There's a positive case for someone involved in England's ashes tour. Fully vaccinated...so it's not a foolproof plan either.

All that said, it's Australia's rules and they're entitled to impose them as they see fit. Djokovic shouldn't have gone if he didn't want to be part of it, and he should have given his reasons why if he wanted to make a point. I get the sense he didn't want to make a point though and instead wanted to just go and do his job.

Edited by Taffin

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That may well be. But I like the fact ND is not being treated any differently, to you me and the guy from wherever.

He's already being treated differently to me matey. He's presently free and training at the Australian Tennis Centre. My wife and I were double vaxed and still spent two weeks in a Darwin quarantine centre and got billed $5k.

And we're Australian......!

dobmisterdobster
On 05/01/2022 at 13:22, escobri said:

One of the fittest men on the planet, people could learn a lot from him and how he has looked after his health and wellbeing, top boy, hope he wins it if the fake outrage doesn't get him kicked out the country before the tournament even begins. If he's allowed to play what's the bet a test will come back positive?.

Apologies if already posted.

1885863097_FIiWj7UWUAIqqI12.jpg.49a6554554b8f2a66f09b453e49608b7.jpg