Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Remind me again what is the range of estimates of predicted effects on GDP should you and your fellow separatists achieve the partition you dream of?

Well the North Sea is apparently about to generate £80bn in the next few years.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

2 minutes ago, briever said:

That will go down well with their Green Party bedfellows.

6 minutes ago, briever said:

I recall that the great akela climbed off the fence just before COP 26 and decreed that it's not to be brought oot? T'was just before she started handing out cans of Irn-Bru if my memory serves me well.

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, briever said:

North Sea revenues are not a great argument for either side. Obviously a fated energy source and the world will look very different in 30-50 years. Just need to see how many Teslas are on the road now even compared to 2 years ago and forecast forward to see that. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Remind me again what is the range of estimates of predicted effects on GDP should you and your fellow separatists achieve the partition you dream of?

Poor and deliberately provactive use of language there chief!

'partition'? is that like what the Brits did to Ireland? 

The estimates very much depend on who is doing the forecasting. There's a huge body of work done for the 2014 referendum from the unionist side which had all manner of things going to happen if Scotland became independent. Most of these, we were told could only be stopped by voting No. Then they happened anyway and we're all significantly the poorer for it and will continue to be so for the next 20 years or so.

Did we not go back and forward on a document you raised previously where buried on the footnotes from the organisation that carried out the study was the admission that they had no ****ing idea and were just guessing based on nothing other than prejudice? (apologies if it wasn't you)

The Mighty Thor
51 minutes ago, briever said:

The North Sea is going to bail out the tories for the next 20 years. Again.

36 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

North Sea revenues are not a great argument for either side. Obviously a fated energy source and the world will look very different in 30-50 years. Just need to see how many Teslas are on the road now even compared to 2 years ago and forecast forward to see that. 

Those power hungry Tesla's need something to run on and the majority of that, like it or not, will come straight out the North Sea.

39 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Yawn.  

NS revenue invaluable for WM - hence them clinging onto us.
NS revenue worth nothing to an indy Scotland.

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The North Sea is going to bail out the tories for the next 20 years. Again.

Those power hungry Tesla's need something to run on and the majority of that, like it or not, will come straight out the North Sea.

Won't be long in my view until a mix of renewable sources (plus electricity beamed back from space if todays news is to be believed) renders fossil fuels too expensive and unviable.  Believe Shetland are powering electric vehicles from tidal arrays already. North Sea revenues can't be relied on long term and shouldn't form part of the independence debate for either side.  

Lord Montpelier
6 minutes ago, briever said:

Yawn.  

NS revenue invaluable for WM - hence them clinging onto us.

At least Mighty Thor tries. You are full of nonsence. 

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Won't be long in my view until a mix of renewable sources (plus electricity beamed back from space if todays news is to be believed) renders fossil fuels too expensive and unviable.  Believe Shetland are powering electric vehicles from tidal arrays already. North Sea revenues can't be relied on long term and shouldn't form part of the independence debate for either side.  

I'm so glad Scotland is embracing the renewable options. 

In your 30-50 year time frame power from renewables and water will be the most precious of commodities.

No wonder the English nationalists covet the empire 2.0 mantra, they'll need to go back on the pillage and annexisation just to survive. 

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm so glad Scotland is embracing the renewable options. 

In your 30-50 year time frame power from renewables and water will be the most precious of commodities.

No wonder the English nationalists covet the empire 2.0 mantra, they'll need to go back on the pillage and annexisation just to survive. 

Big fan of renewables. Got lots of turbines around my area, never really bothered me. Ultimately needs to translate to cheap energy for early adopters to gain economic advantage. 

Controversial maybe but I'd put a high tax levy on energy companies and then give them the money back to invest directly in renewable projects, with appropriate audit trails etc to accelerate adoption and development. 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Big fan of renewables. Got lots of turbines around my area, never really bothered me. Ultimately needs to translate to cheap energy for early adopters to gain economic advantage. 

Controversial maybe but I'd put a high tax levy on energy companies and then give them the money back to invest directly in renewable projects, with appropriate audit trails etc to accelerate adoption and development. 

Couldn't agree more.

WM policy to disincentivise renewables has to be one of the stupidest decisions of the last 12 years.

Aye but Putins illegal war etc etc etc.

Lord Montpelier
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Couldn't agree more.

WM policy to disincentivise renewables has to be one of the stupidest decisions of the last 12 years.

Aye but Putins illegal war etc etc etc.

Would love to see more incentives for households. As it is I heat my house from an oil fired boiler and wood burners. 

2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

At least Mighty Thor tries. You are full of nonsence. 

My post was an excellent summation of your drivel.

I try not to waste any time on frothing yoons.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, briever said:

It's quite absurd that people wouldn't want to run their own affairs. 

Backbone made of jelly.

Lord Montpelier
35 minutes ago, briever said:

There we go again. More nonsence. Try contributing some insight and ideas. 

26 minutes ago, briever said:

It's a pain answering their absurdities and hypocrisy! Imagine not wanting to run your own affairs, it's totally and undeniably absurd!

Take responsibility, govern, get to  choose a party closest to your ideals, vote out parties that don't perform, have a democratic second chamber, decide where taxes are best spent, no warmongering, strong energy and immigration policies, invest in education and the NHS, encourage and support entrepreneurs, apply different ways to govern using other successful countries models. 

There are a multitude of ways to govern better than Westminster and devolved administrations.

il Duce McTarkin
37 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's quite absurd that people wouldn't want to run their own affairs. 

Backbone made of jelly.

The SNP couldn't run a bath, tbf.

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

There are a multitude of ways to govern better than Westminster and devolved administrations.

This guy thought so too.

adolf-hitler.jpg

:wub:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
44 minutes ago, briever said:

ragin

Lord Montpelier
6 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Anyone else able to get their kids to school this Thursday. No ? Me neither. 

Well done education minister Shirley Anne Somerville for that one. To be fair she seems to do a good impression of Nicky, and like others nods in the right place so gets the gig on those qualifications alone. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, briever said:

I need to stop giving Yoon idiots the time of day.

There’s no need to be ashamed, admitting you have a problem is the first stage of recovery 

Jeffros Furios
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There’s no need to be ashamed, admitting you have a problem is the first stage of recovery 

:jj:

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

In an independent Scotland they probably wouldn't be in government. :10900:

It could be your Tories.

Thunder and Lightning
1 hour ago, briever said:

Really, you seem to post day and night trying to provoke a fight or just being generally abusive. 

At least fair minded independence supporters try to engage and debate. 

You just come across as an angry little man. 😂 

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

In an independent Scotland they probably wouldn't be in government. :10900:

It could be your Tories.

Not my Tories. They're too left wing.

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, briever said:

At least you're admitting to being one.

I'm not admitting to being anyrhing other than bored with your persistent whining.

Jeffros Furios
10 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I'm not admitting to being anyrhing other than bored with your persistent whining.

The chip on the shoulder poor should get a better paid job and stop greetin .

il Duce McTarkin
40 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The chip on the shoulder poor should get a better paid job and stop greetin .

:spoton:

5 hours ago, briever said:

The 2014 case and argument almost solely depended on it.

Supreme Court ruling today. How are we all feeling about this ? 

Personally would love them to give us the go ahead so we can get this settled once and for all, again. 

Could get a little edgy in here today. 😂

11 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Anyone else able to get their kids to school this Thursday. No ? Me neither. 

Well done education minister Shirley Anne Somerville for that one. To be fair she seems to do a good impression of Nicky, and like others nods in the right place so gets the gig on those qualifications alone. 

Following a long period of similarity, teacher pay levels are also now notably higher in Scotland and Wales. As of September 2020, starting salaries in Scotland were about £27,500, about 7% higher than in England, and £27,000 in Wales, about 5% higher than in England.23 Jul 2021

Also the pay rise offered is higher than offered in rUK. 

11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Personally would love them to give us the go ahead so we can get this settled once and for all, again. 

Pretty sure that Sturgeon's preference will be:

1. No ruling

2. Westminster's favour 

3. Crack on and go for next October 

13 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It wouldn't be once and for all though Daz. The SNPs idea of democracy is vote, abuse the enemy, demand a recount, demand another vote, slander the enemy, vote, blame the enemy, then vote again till they achieve the desired result.

Lord Montpelier
37 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Following a long period of similarity, teacher pay levels are also now notably higher in Scotland and Wales. As of September 2020, starting salaries in Scotland were about £27,500, about 7% higher than in England, and £27,000 in Wales, about 5% higher than in England.23 Jul 2021

Also the pay rise offered is higher than offered in rUK. 

Scottish government have created a rod for their own backs. Unions see them as weak willed , only interested in how they are perceived and how that will look like in the all important independence polls. The unions know they just need to push and the SNP government will fold. 

Nicky of course, with her cult of personality, will try paint it all as a personal success story. And her supporters will lap it up.

In the meantime ordinary kids suffer through no fault of their own.

45 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'd like to think the SC will make at least a passing reference to this thread when passing down its ruling.

I would like the supreme Court in their explanation for the decision they arrive at say.

We noted on the social media forum, that a poster who uses the name Briever, frothed so much at the mouth, that we had no choice but to allow another referendum on Scottish independence. Just in order that he stopped frothing and for his own sanity.

Anyways regardless of the outcome, Westminster is getting the blame🤣

supreme court rules the scottish government does not have the power to hold a referendum on scottish independence without agreement from the uk government