Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Yes last time . Still to be convinced next time. Buy me a pint and a pie and ill say aye . Im easy

Jeffros Furios

Boris and his gang of thieves will force  some to opt for Independence .

I dont like the SNP but I cannot stand those *******s masquerading as mp's at Westminster. 

22 minutes ago, Boab said:

Can anyone stomach another thread like this for another couple of years ?

Yes ?

No ?

I asked for comments to be turned off and for it just to be a poll for that reason.

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes last time . Still to be convinced next time. Buy me a pint and a pie and ill say aye . Im easy

image.gif.9a1f3ebbbece0ad239a32518bdb3d55f.gif

14 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Voted yes, because i like change and it will piss some people off. 

That explains a lot.

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It’s the one question that I think will torpedo the chances of independence unless they are brave enough to deal with it.  As stated Brexit has changed the game on keeping the Sterling pound. A new currency pegged to sterling using a currency board is one option and in time replace with the Euro. A new Scottish currency with our own Central bank is certainly do able but would require high level of fiscal discipline. Membership of the eurozone is a great option in my opinion with benefits of the banking union and European Central Bank lender of last resort responsibilities. Plus the ECB has gold and lots of it. 

Anyway should Scotland be an independent country? Yes! 

Edited by Des Lynam

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

If you're that bothered, there's already a thread for this. 

This thread is titled 'should Scotland be an independent country'

It's a poll, but people are also commenting.

I'm putting something forward as to why I think it shouldn't be 

An hour in and the Yes vote is running away with it.

A real race for second place with only 6 votes separating No from Don't Know.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

Exciting stuff :lol:

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s the one question that I think will torpedo the chances of independence unless they are brave enough to deal with it.  

It's definitely the main one. 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Exciting stuff :lol:

Make yourself a coffee and get the snacks out. Final results are not expected until tomorrow. 

Exit polls are predicting 70%/30% in favour of Yes.

7 minutes ago, Longbaws said:

I remember the actual real race. :pleasing:

9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

No, the population of quarter wits isn't sustainable in the long term.

Feel free to come back and help boost the nation’s average IQ 😉

1 minute ago, Alex Kintner said:

Feel free to come back and help boost the nation’s average IQ 😉

Feel free to leave and accomplish the same.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Can anyone stomach another thread like this for another couple of years ?

Yes ?

No ?

it's fine, once in a generation.

8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

it's fine, once in a generation.

It'll be the first opportunity for everyone aged under 24 (approx 570,000 people). Consider them the new generation. :thumbsup: 

Was an absolute yes. 

Rapidly turning into a no if it means we would be ruled by the total nutters in house just now. 

Its shite either way to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

It'll be the first opportunity for everyone aged under 24 (approx 570,000 people). Consider them the new generation. :thumbsup: 

" An academic study, surveying 5,000 Scottish voters soon after the referendum, found that the majority for No was formed by an "unusual alliance" of the very young, average earners, Protestants and women.[433] The study supported polling evidence that there was a gender gap, but countered beliefs that higher earners had supported No and that younger voters had mostly voted Yes.[433]

According to John Curtice, polling evidence indicates that support for independence was highest among those aged in their late 20s and early 30s, with a higher No vote among those aged between 16–24

Edited by JamesM48

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

" An academic study, surveying 5,000 Scottish voters soon after the referendum, found that the majority for No was formed by an "unusual alliance" of the very young, average earners, Protestants and women.[433] The study supported polling evidence that there was a gender gap, but countered beliefs that higher earners had supported No and that younger voters had mostly voted Yes.[433]

According to John Curtice, polling evidence indicates that support for independence was highest among those aged in their late 20s and early 30s, with a higher No vote among those aged between 16–24

The 16-24yo thing is bizarre. I was very surprised to see that the majority had voted no in 2014 (think it was about 55-45 split in favour of No). Polling over past couple of years shows a 60-40 split for Yes amongst 16-24yo. I’m genuinely stumped as to why such a turnaround in only a few years. The only thing I can think of is Brexit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ainsley Harriott

Perhaps if someone could put forward a reasonable economical and logistical argument in favour of it perhaps then yes? All those years since the white paper was published which was utter tripe and still nothing.

2 hours ago, Longbaws said:

Amongst Hearts fans too. Obviously not reflective of the real support base nor the country.

At any rate, that wouldn't be the question in any future referendum.  Would be along the lines of "do you want Scotland to remain in the UK or leave the UK"

2 hours ago, Longbaws said:

Make yourself a coffee and get the snacks out. Final results are not expected until tomorrow. 

Exit polls are predicting 70%/30% in favour of Yes.

Every poll has shown that football fans support independence apart from the huns. Of course it's hard to believe on here as the minority unionists on here post so much

2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s the one question that I think will torpedo the chances of independence unless they are brave enough to deal with it.  As stated Brexit has changed the game on keeping the Sterling pound. A new currency pegged to sterling using a currency board is one option and in time replace with the Euro. A new Scottish currency with our own Central bank is certainly do able but would require high level of fiscal discipline. Membership of the eurozone is a great option in my opinion with benefits of the banking union and European Central Bank lender of last resort responsibilities. Plus the ECB has gold and lots of it. 

Anyway should Scotland be an independent country? Yes! 

It has been answered numerous times but that means nothing to the unionists. The stated position is to start by using sterling and then, in the medium term, move to our own Scottish currency. Unionists repeating over and over again that there is no answer to the currency issue is just lies