Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

That thing you do
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

Prone to over reacting ?

Nope. Prone to calling this what it is.

Scotland has no right to self determination without their masters permitting it. Very clear in the verdict

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

The answer to the question: Is Scotland in a voluntary Union and able to assert its international right to self determination has been answered:  NO

This means that theres SFA point in voting in Scotland as no matter what the make up of the Parliament is, theres no route to getting a referendum without UK agreeing.

That is fundamentally against International law and Scotland went from Union partner to colony with that verdict.

Its not surprising but anyone celebrating this needs to think very carefully about what it means to have no right to determine your own future unless your colonist master agrees.

Does that mean that there could be another approach to a different court after today's ruling?

That thing you do
Just now, Jonkel Hoon said:

Does that mean that there could be another approach to a different court after today's ruling?

There is a route to the International Courts yes.

Will Sturgeon take it? Doubtful. She will try everything else first including election equals referendum.

3 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

The answer to the question: Is Scotland in a voluntary Union and able to assert its international right to self determination has been answered:  NO

This means that theres SFA point in voting in Scotland as no matter what the make up of the Parliament is, theres no route to getting a referendum without UK agreeing.

That is fundamentally against International law and Scotland went from Union partner to colony with that verdict.

Its not surprising but anyone celebrating this needs to think very carefully about what it means to have no right to determine your own future unless your colonist master agrees.

I think people are peed off by the SNP taking it to court , knowing full well what the answer would be . It was done to further cause disharmony and grievance against Westminster . I don’t think anyone is arguing against another Ref , but when is the question . There is not a majority of  Scot’s wanting an Indy ref . Discussions around it are just deflection from the mess the SNP are making of this country . It’s in decline , economically and culturally . A mess . Fix that first , then people may have the belief that an Indy Scotland is a better alternative than the current shitshow. 

3 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

There is a route to the International Courts yes.

Will Sturgeon take it? Doubtful. She will try everything else first including election equals referendum.

She will try anything to delay any Indy vote . She wants to stay on the gravy train for a long as she can 

That thing you do
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

She will try anything to delay any Indy vote . She wants to stay on the gravy train for a long as she can 

I agree with that actually. 

Which is why an appeal to an international court wont happen. Sturgeon will now play the long game arguing she has no choice. 

1 minute ago, That thing you do said:

You do know two people have to agree to divorce. Divorce cannot be agreed by one person only.

The SNP under the leadership of Nicola Sturgeon have totally gone about this in the wrong way. 

Sturgeon is not even half the politician Alex Salmond is.

When you return over 45MPs out of the 59 seats available in Scotland then to me you have your mandate for independence. Like Jim Sillars I see no need for an independence referendum.

When you operate a first past the post election system as UK elections are. When the Scottish electorate return 45 SNP MPs then to me the electorate voted for independence. 

For me the independence movement have totally failed to take advantage of this. For me an opportunity totally wasted.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Australis said:

Obvious lots of nationalists would like independence, but her obsession with it over looking after our old and vulnerable has gone to far. The obsession has aged her and is starting to make her a figure of fun.

Keeps marching them all up the hill with lots of words and promises and marches them all down again.

Hope she goes for her pretendy referendum.

The auld nawbags are collateral damage to the smurfs 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I have worked in the financial sector in Edinburgh for a quarter century and I wanted out of the EU and could not give a flying **** about Ukraine or Russia.  Hope this clears things up.

Good for you.  You will also remember then that the general feeling at the time was leaving the UK and therefore gambling on getting back into the EU was seen as a massive problem at the time . 

Thunder and Lightning
37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Sorry mate, I'm working in Darlington today. 

In England, working for an English company...Bloody English!!!

Ooft, pulling out the 'I have back friends' replies. 😂 

9 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Good for you.  You will also remember then that the general feeling at the time was leaving the UK and therefore gambling on getting back into the EU was seen as a massive problem at the time . 

There is simply not enough facepalm for those that think Independence is leaving the United Kingdom and joining a union with 60% of European countries ruled in Brussels.  Genuinely the stuff of remedials.

Naisys Tackle
Just now, i8hibsh said:

There is simply not enough facepalm for those that think Independence is leaving the United Kingdom and joining a union with 60% of European countries ruled in Brussels.  Genuinely the stuff of remedials.

There's massive benefits to joining the EU.  The only way the people in this country, who didnae want to leave it in the first place is to be independent of the UK. 

18 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

I agree with that actually. 

Which is why an appeal to an international court wont happen. Sturgeon will now play the long game arguing she has no choice. 

What is the “ long game ? Next general election ? 

postage-stamp

We had one in 2014 and it was NO.

That's recent enough for me.   Not enough time has passed to ask the nation again.

Maybe up for it again in the 30s..🤔

postage-stamp
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

There's massive benefits to joining the EU.  The only way the people in this country, who didnae want to leave it in the first place is to be independent of the UK. 

Naw..we don't want to join that car crash that is the EU.  Only just broken free from them 👍

That thing you do
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

What is the “ long game ? Next general election ? 

Just go through the motions, complain a bit, stay in the job as long as possible.

I always thought the issues with Salmond started because she was much more a careerist than he was. I think Murrell and him clashed over strategy. 

Shes happy I think to be FM and say she support indy rather than working to actually get it. Im sure her an Murrell are privately ok about this ruling.

34 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Scotland is not a colony- the judges made that quite clear , nor do they lack the route to political representation, nor are they a victimised minority.

They were very clear on all those matters, which were raised in the judgement.

Just go through the motions, complain a bit, stay in the job as long as possible.

I always thought the issues with Salmond started because she was much more a careerist than he was. I think Murrell and him clashed over strategy. 

Shes happy I think to be FM and say she support indy rather than working to actually get it. Im sure her an Murrell are privately ok about this ruling.

She wants the statue , the prestige the whole 9 yards that goes with taking Scotland out.

She wants to write her legend and is running out of time as she gets older , she sees it receding into the distance and is clutching at it now

2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Agree completely 

That thing you do
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Scotland is not a colony- the judges made that quite clear , nor do they lack the route to political representation, nor are they a victimised minority.

If Scotland has to ask permission to exert its right of slef determination, it is a Colony. 

Did UK have to ask the EU over Brexit.

Lord Montpelier

If Scotland has to ask permission to exert its right of slef determination, it is a Colony. 

Colony my arse

1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Just a number I plucked out the air, it cant be +1 vote as the country needs brought together, a clear majority would i believe help show that there is clearly more that want x.  Winning by a single vote would lead to more disharmony.

I agree with you that it should be a bigger majority for such a monumental change. However it would be ridiculous if it wasn’t the same percentages as last time. It certainly should have been bigger last time round. Utter madness that a change can be made on basically a country split down the middle. 

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I detest being referred to as a “ victim “ of English / British imperialism / colonialism. I’m glad to hear that the judges noted all that type of hyperbole . I had a democratic vote in 2014. I voted yes . I respected the democratic vote if no . The “ poor wee us” is so insulting to the majority of Scot’s 

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The utter delusion from the at-all-costs Nats is never far from the surface.

But this claim of disregarding the outcome of a legally held referendum 8 years ago, in order to save our democracy is an absolute belter even by their standards. 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:
Smoke , mirrors and deflection as per usual from them 

Democracy is at stake from whom? There was a referendum, the answer was no, a bit Trumpesque to disrespect the will of the people.  She has had her fun, back to the day job now please.

4 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

No, it’s not.

It is part of the Westminster parliament with elected representatives.

Does that need reform- of course.

Do our elected representatives work as part of Westminster for the good of its people ?

No.

There is fault on both parts.

Our MPs down there could be doing a lot more than they do .

Vote labour and that is what you will get- to be part of the ruling party and able to influence instead of bitching from the sidelines.

Naisys Tackle
21 minutes ago, postage-stamp said:

Naw..we don't want to join that car crash that is the EU.  Only just broken free from them 👍

Some do,- some dont.  Be nice to have a vote on it.   Things have hardly been anything but disasterous since leaving. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Is it possible to dissolve the Scottish Parliament or is it on a fixed term schedule? 

We should hold a referendum on it lol

1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

We should hold a referendum on it lol

In all seriousness it's all very well gambling with Blackford and Mhairi Black's jobs if she actually wants it enough why not put her job and the keys to Bute house on the table and make that the pretendy referendum?

Howdy Doody Jambo

So if Scotland had voted to leave the UK Union in 2014 it would have also voted to leave the European Union 

Also it was because of Scottish votes that the UK left the EU

Scotland is and always will be divided 

Maybe the Nationalists could wear an arm band that might help them 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

19 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Some do,- some dont.  Be nice to have a vote on it.   Things have hardly been anything but disasterous since leaving. 

Agree - take us back into the EU or near as dammit and independence becomes a side show again

manaliveits105

The democratic will of the Scottish people in 2014 and the fact that over 50% of the Scottish people don’t want a referendum now is democracy enough 

ram yer pish and wind and stop wasting tax payers money Elsie 

37 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Democracy is at stake from whom? There was a referendum, the answer was no, a bit Trumpesque to disrespect the will of the people.  She has had her fun, back to the day job now please.

Yep very Trumpeque ! Maybe some Bravehearts will barricade themselves in the hoose of commons ! 

Lord Montpelier
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep very Trumpeque ! Maybe some Bravehearts will barricade themselves in the hoose of commons ! 

Think that would be welcomed and ignored by most . Blackford wouldnt survive more than an hour without cake anyway. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Her Fuhrer

MadNics

1 hour ago, escobri said:

still worship the boot.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Good posting 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

The auld nawbags are collateral damage to the smurfs 

There's so many boys needing to address their issues with women in power. 

And of course the token idiot. There's always a token idiot.

The seethe from the separatists is better than expect. Insults chucked about all over the place as they fall over themselves telling everyone they are not bothered. 😂😂😂

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Maggie, Theresa and Liz?

Lord Montpelier
10 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Hark at all the yoon nawbags this morning having a collective wank-a-thon.

How are you voting next October ?

Oh... wait a minute...

The Hogfather
12 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

The politics threads on this site have highlighted over and over again the ugly face of extremist unionism and nationalism. 

I've fixed your post for you, since the most vocal pro-indy posters on here are every bit as boring as the most vocal pro-union.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A triumvirate of failure. 

Your point caller? 

I think the point is that the female rulers , and I include Sturgeon in that, have been very divisive 

and pretty crap as well

postage-stamp
55 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Vote was 2016

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

That’s exactly what NS’s SNP is. 
It’s slowly becoming clear to most people who vote for them too. 

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Insisting that one vote is more democratic than 2 votes 9 years apart is a bit of a reach.

Hagar the Horrible
22 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nah I would have Maggie back, And the blessed Ruth

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Nah I would have Maggie back, And the blessed Ruth

You'd be on the same wavelength as Mooth. She hates women too. 

Hagar the Horrible

I get that the Unionists are having fun at the expence of the Nats, it would still be case in reverse  if it was the other way round, except it had an outcome that was never in the balance, just a stunt.  However the SNP should have put up candidates accross britain under the last GE, as Labour could not have been in a worst possition under unelectable Cor-bin. If they took independance off the table for now, they would have been in oposition and would then had a mandate for either federalism or independence later.

But now the fake seethe at an outcome she knew was going to happen, was meant to rally the troops and perhaps win over the undecided, I think has backfired.  The SNP were an alternative to labour, but there is a red recovery and its not good timing for any referendum.  The greens are a second vote from the same voter, so you cant count that twice, you dont get 2 votes in a referendum just because you say yes.

We need a period of stability and having a one point agenda thats clearly going to dictate and distract from the real issues is plain wrong

Hagar the Horrible
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You'd be on the same wavelength as Mooth. She hates women too. 

Thats unfair, and you cant just make up a back story,  I will stress I have no issue with women, in fact Nicola is a very good polititian she just has her priorites wrong. The SNP is lucky to have her as Swinney and Humza are serial failures.  She is doing the best for her party. but right now she is granstanding to the faithful giving false hope.  She has read the room wrong

It would be easy for me to then say you are an anti English racist.  Not accurate.  so be careful branding somebody without any evidence.  And I dont know mooth so wont judge either, so dont you

44 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Think that would be welcomed and ignored by most . Blackford wouldnt survive more than an hour without cake anyway. 

Lol 

42 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Think you need to re look at the Tory thread and your comments about Liz Truss ! Desperate deflection from you again , using the old misogyny chestnut 🌰