• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

4 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Exactly. If anything Ukraine should offer to withdraw while their country is amidst war. 

Sometimes you read something so incredibly stupid on the internet, that you wonder how the author actually managed to pool together enough brain resources to be able to find the keys to be able to type it in the first place.

Why should Ukraine do anything of the sort?  They are defending themselves from being invaded, and they would not be at war if they could help it.  There is every reason for Russia to be globally shunned, but why on earth would the same have to happen to the people who have done nothing wrong other than existing in a part of the world that someone else is trying to claim?

Millions of Ukrainians just want life to go back to normal, and would not be involved in all this nonsense if they could help it.  In a new reality where there are very few positives, sport can be the one highlight in your day that temporarily makes you forget that your family and friends are living in danger of being killed on a daily basis.  Why exactly should this be taken away from them?

Think before you post, ffs.

5 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Exactly. If anything Ukraine should offer to withdraw while their country is amidst war. 

Wow

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Sometimes you read something so incredibly stupid on the internet, that you wonder how the author actually managed to pool together enough brain resources to be able to find the keys to be able to type it in the first place.

Why should Ukraine do anything of the sort?  They are defending themselves from being invaded, and they would not be at war if they could help it.  There is every reason for Russia to be globally shunned, but why on earth would the same have to happen to the people who have done nothing wrong other than existing in a part of the world that someone else is trying to claim?

Millions of Ukrainians just want life to go back to normal, and would not be involved in all this nonsense if they could help it.  In a new reality where there are very few positives, sport can be the one highlight in your day that temporarily makes you forget that your family and friends are living in danger of being killed on a daily basis.  Why exactly should this be taken away from them?

None of that will sink in. 

God knows how these folk function day to day. 

It is one of the most stupid things I've ever read, ever. 

You summed it up perfectly, I couldn't muster the will power earlier on, well done. 

mickycameron98
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Listen I feel for their people, I really do. As the previous post that I commented on mentioned, if we give Ukraine a sympathy bye into the next round then where does it stop? Do they get a bye in every sport because they are at war? Why should we give up a hard qualifying campaign. 

Looking at the other options would withdrawing really be a bad idea? Alot of the players will be fully distracted and rightly upset just now. If they play the tie then fair enough, but do not make out I am completely thick when I am voicing an opinion like everyone else!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Listen I feel for their people, I really do. As the previous post that I commented on mentioned, if we give Ukraine a sympathy bye into the next round then where does it stop? Do they get a bye in every sport because they are at war? Why should we give up a hard qualifying campaign. 

Looking at the other options would withdrawing really be a bad idea? Alot of the players will be fully distracted and rightly upset just now. If they play the tie then fair enough, but do not make out I am completely thick when I am voicing an opinion like everyone else!

Who is giving Ukraine a bye?

16 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

They still have to play Scotland in a qualifier.

mickycameron98
34 minutes ago, tian447 said:

They still have to play Scotland in a qualifier.

You obviously never read the post that I replied to. It was on that very subject....

At this moment in time a football match should be the least of our concerns. 

I would postpone the play off matches as long as possible. 

26 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

You obviously never read the post that I replied to. It was on that very subject....

I'm not following this, mainly because your reply to me didn't mention it, and your other post suggested Ukraine withdraw for some reason.  They are not, and will not be getting, a bye anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Do you mean my post? 

Just now, mickycameron98 said:

Yes

Okay thanks I just wanted to make sure before I replied yes I was replying to the suggestion that had arisen on the thread about giving them a bye. I do not agree with doing that at all but I also do not think they should forfeit themselves due to being an occupied country. 

mickycameron98
26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Okay thanks I just wanted to make sure before I replied yes I was replying to the suggestion that had arisen on the thread about giving them a bye. I do not agree with doing that at all but I also do not think they should forfeit themselves due to being an occupied country. 

And that's a fair opinion, I was just simply suggesting that they could withdraw as an option and then I get accused of having no brain cells by another poster who didn't even know the subject I was commenting on in the 1st place. Baffling

7 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

And that's a fair opinion, I was just simply suggesting that they could withdraw as an option and then I get accused of having no brain cells by another poster who didn't even know the subject I was commenting on in the 1st place. Baffling

I did not want to get involved in all of that but I did want to clear up my part in any of it. 

coatbridgejambo

If Scotland were getting invaded football would be the last thing on my mind

Football is insignificant at the moment. We should ask Ukraine what they want to happen and if they say play/postpone or give us a bye then give it to them. Poor pheckers are trying to defeat a bully with nuclear weapons and anything we can do to keep their moral up should be supported. 

In my opinion FIFA should tell them they have qualified so don't worry about it just concentrate on defending your country. If that means an extra few games in the final then so be it. 

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

When is this this tie getting played is it this month and is it one legged? 

yes and yes 

45 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Football is insignificant at the moment. We should ask Ukraine what they want to happen and if they say play/postpone or give us a bye then give it to them. Poor pheckers are trying to defeat a bully with nuclear weapons and anything we can do to keep their moral up should be supported. 

In my opinion FIFA should tell them they have qualified so don't worry about it just concentrate on defending your country. If that means an extra few games in the final then so be it. 

My thinking too.

An offer from Scotland and/via FIFA to postpone would be the right thing to do.

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

When is this this tie getting played is it this month and is it one legged? 

Thursday, 24th.

Final is scheduled for Tuesday, 29th.

upgotheheads

If its qualifying groups of four in the final then Ukraine should be given a bye to the final, with Scotland advancing to the next round against whoever. The world cup should be brought forward by one week to allow the group containing 5 teams to play the extra  fixtures. There's  9 months to organise that for goodness sake, it  shouldn't be beyond the wits of even FIFA to organise that.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

If its qualifying groups of four in the final then Ukraine should be given a bye to the final, with Scotland advancing to the next round against whoever. The world cup should be brought forward by one week to allow the group containing 5 teams to play the extra  fixtures. There's  9 months to organise that for goodness sake, it  shouldn't be beyond the wits of even FIFA to organise that.

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

:mmtaxi:

4 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Not my fault I couldn't work out that by replying to me, you were in fact talking about/to someone else. 

Unknown user
4 hours ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Football is insignificant at the moment. We should ask Ukraine what they want to happen

I doubt they give too much of a **** just now

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I doubt they give too much of a **** just now

Agreed.  I'm sure what they want to happen just now is to get the Russians the **** out of their country, rather than concern themselves about the footballing consequences.

Malinga the Swinga
13 hours ago, coatbridgejambo said:

If Scotland were getting invaded football would be the last thing on my mind

So you believe they should withdraw from game. Fair enough, Scotland go through.

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Agreed.  I'm sure what they want to happen just now is to get the Russians the **** out of their country, rather than concern themselves about the footballing consequences.

I feel sure they will want to play the game both as an act of defiance on a world wide stage and as a distraction. What’s more, whatever team they are able to select will be highly motivated and determined to win.

psychologically this game became so much harder for us

26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I feel sure they will want to play the game both as an act of defiance on a world wide stage and as a distraction. What’s more, whatever team they are able to select will be highly motivated and determined to win.

psychologically this game became so much harder for us

Against that most of the international team play in Ukraine.

They won't have played or trained. 

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Against that most of the international team play in Ukraine.

They won't have played or trained. 

Indeed, and I dare say some of them are running about with an AK47 defending their country as we speak.

I imagine they will be able raise a team comprised mostly of ex pats though, although they may take a decision to withdraw I suppose.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed, and I dare say some of them are running about with an AK47 defending their country as we speak.

I imagine they will be able raise a team comprised mostly of ex pats though, although they may take a decision to withdraw I suppose.

I think they will want to play if they at all can as it will re-inforce their nationhood status. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think they will want to play if they at all can as it will re-inforce their nationhood status. 

Indeed but if you look at their last international squad (against Bosnia) there was only around 6/7 in the entire squad who play outwith Ukraine (most of them starters)

Plus the fact that they are in close season although Kyiv have played a large number of pre season friendlies up to the invasion, there is no chance their season will start anytime soon (due to start next week)

coatbridgejambo
11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So you believe they should withdraw from game. Fair enough, Scotland go through.

I said that's how i would feel.

Cant speak for Ukrainians.

So go pick a fight with someone else

Edited by coatbridgejambo
Spelling

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Ukrainian FA ask for a postponement. 

As I said ages ago should happen

some on here showed no empathy at the time saying it’s just tough if they can’t make the fixture 

Rick Sanchez

If there's no progress on talks, which is extremely unlikely then this invasion has a long time to go. With everyone fleeing it'll turn into guerrilla warfare.

It should be postponed but there needs to be a time limit.

Diadora Van Basten

Denmark qualified and won the Euros as a result of Yugoslavia being at war in 92. I would be surprised if FIFA agree to their request.

I hope thr game can go ahead at some stage but i have no idea if commercial planes can fly in and out of Ukraine at present.

A hero's welcome awaits them.

LarrysRightFoot

It was suggested on the radio it’ll be moved to June (if everyone agrees) 

Draw for finals is scheduled for April 1st. So clearly that needs rescheduled. 

Don't see a problem with games being in June. 

42 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It was suggested on the radio it’ll be moved to June (if everyone agrees) 

Gives them a bit of advantage. We’ll be at the end of the season and they are currently in pre season with no start to the season in sight.  I’m not sure how the Ukrainian National Paralympic team managed to get to Beijing but their football team can’t get to Glasgow ?

Give them a bit more time by all means but not till June (could be of course that June would be our next free date)

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Gives them a bit of advantage. We’ll be at the end of the season and they are currently in pre season with no start to the season in sight.  I’m not sure how the Ukrainian National Paralympic team managed to get to Beijing but their football team can’t get to Glasgow ?

Give them a bit more time by all means but not till June (could be of course that June would be our next free date)

You just answered your own question in the last sentence 

Watt-Zeefuik

With Russia out, Scotland should instead host Poland and Ukraine given a bye.

Hard one to take since Poland's a harder draw but it would solve the logistical issues.

Hungry hippo
13 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

With Russia out, Scotland should instead host Poland and Ukraine given a bye.

Hard one to take since Poland's a harder draw but it would solve the logistical issues.

A bye to the playoff final for Ukraine would still leave the problem of when they play that final so there is little benefit rearranging the draw.

A postponement until no later than June seems like the best possible offer for Ukraine. I'm not convinced things will be much better by then but at least it would give their players time to come to terms with the situation.

One of the pundits on Open All Mics last night was genuinely suggesting that ALL TEAMS should stand aside and Ukraine be announced as World Champions. 'What a message that would send.'

We should not punish ourselves because we were lucky/unlucky enough to be drawn against a nation who have been dragged into a war they didn't want.

All for delaying to give them the best chance of getting a competitive team together but it seems like fantasy to be honest.

Hagar the Horrible

At the end of the day I played blow football with my laddie, who took an asthma attack

20 nil is a win, a win is a win