***World Cup Play-off Draw - Ukraine. ***

iantjambo

There is precedence regarding the issue of war and football finals,  Yugoslavia were thrown out of the Euros in 1992 due to the Balkans conflict and replaced by Denmark.

Granted the circumstances are slightly different, but imho Russia should definitely be booted out the World cup (and all other sporting competitions) and arguably Ukraine as well although there is merit in allowing them to continue.  Unfortunately money talks and I feel that they will both be allowed to continue.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

Bazzas right boot

Russia should be booted out of every sport. 

They've started to invade a country. 

Big Putin's testing the West's stomach for a fight. 

Big crazy comrade that he is. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

It'll be played on neutral ground or we'll get a by to the next round. 

A neutral ground where are they going to play it Antarctica.

Hackney Hearts
16 minutes ago, happyjam said:

Unfortunately money talks and I feel that they will both be allowed to continue.

Can't see Russia being allowed to continue.

Unless UEFA are worried that Russia’s response will be immediate and will lead them to consequences that they have never faced in their history.

7 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

A neutral ground where are they going to play it Antarctica.

Could play it in ant European Country, if Ukraine still exists.

Jambo in Bathgate
34 minutes ago, happyjam said:

There is precedence regarding the issue of war and football finals,  Yugoslavia were thrown out of the Euros in 1992 due to the Balkans conflict and replaced by Denmark.

Granted the circumstances are slightly different, but imho Russia should definitely be booted out the World cup (and all other sporting competitions) and arguably Ukraine as well although there is merit in allowing them to continue.  Unfortunately money talks and I feel that they will both be allowed to continue.

Russia should be booted out and Ukraine if possible allowed to continue in competition. 

Jambo in Bathgate
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just Wales to declare war with the isle of wight and we're in. :robboyas:

Nothing to joke about my friend! If Scotland needs that sort of help to play in finals. Then quite frankly we shouldn’t be there. 

15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

How will they get enough players to play?

2 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Nothing to joke about my friend! If Scotland needs that sort of help to play in finals. Then quite frankly we shouldn’t be there. 

It light relief with this utter lunacy that's happening over there. It was only a bit of light relief, apologies if it has offended anyone. 👍

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Every neutral will be rooting for them plus the officials no doubt.

Never mind the neutrals, I feel like rooting for them - and I'm as big a Scotland fan as they come.

Wish we hadn't drawn them.

2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Never mind the neutrals, I feel like rooting for them - and I'm as big a Scotland fan as they come.

Yeah, I agree mate. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Sod that, I want us to hammer them.

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

A win will do. And some solidarity in the crowd.

35 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Why would it need to be played at a neutral venue? 

Pasquale for King

Not sure about the squad but their players who play in the Ukraine will struggle to keep fit and even get here. 
Russia should definitely be ostracised from every sport, it will be interesting to see how they deal with them and their investors. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Could play it in ant European Country, if Ukraine still exists.

It's at Hampden. (WC playoff)The nations league away game might have to be played in Germany.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

That’s not the problem it’s because the players are joining the army to fight

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure about the squad but their players who play in the Ukraine will struggle to keep fit and even get here. 
Russia should definitely be ostracised from every sport, it will be interesting to see how they deal with them and their investors. 

Keeping fit is probably quite low on their list of priorities. Not getting killed might edge it. 

If the Ukrainian players are not planning to volunteer in the army, I hope they get out of there ASAP.  Even if they do choose to volunteer, I still hope they get out of there ASAP.

Scotland should even host them as guests, ensure that they are allowed to travel here freely, and ensure that the fixture goes ahead if they want it to.  I know sport doesn't matter in times like this, but it can also be something for people to look forward to when there isn't much else positive on the horizon. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Keeping fit is probably quite low on their list of priorities. Not getting killed might edge it. 

If the Ukrainian players are not planning to volunteer in the army, I hope they get out of there ASAP.  Even if they do choose to volunteer, I still hope they get out of there ASAP.

Scotland should even host them as guests, ensure that they are allowed to travel here freely, and ensure that the fixture goes ahead if they want it to.  I know sport doesn't matter in times like this, but it can also be something for people to look forward to when there isn't much else positive on the horizon. 

Indeed, who knows what will transpire in the next few weeks. 
The three teams who could all play Russia in the playoffs have officially said they shouldn’t have to go there.

Over to you UEFA/FIFA.  

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, happyjam said:

Sweden, Poland and Czech Republic issue joint statement requesting World cup play offs should not be held in Russia.

Poland and the Czechs would be advised to keep their heed doon and not piss Putin off. 😳

The big countries - Germany, france, Italy Spain and Uk should be backing booting Russia out... With the USA's backing Ofc. 

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Poland and the Czechs would be advised to keep their heed doon and not piss Putin off. 😳

The big countries - Germany, france, Italy Spain and Uk should be backing booting Russia out... With the USA's backing Ofc. 

Or the other way round. 

Poland and Czech Republic are in NATO. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Or the other way round. 

Poland and Czech Republic are in NATO. 

I meant football/ sporting  wise. 

Putin won't care about NATO, if he invades Ukraine then he'll know the west has no stomach for a war. 

Are China not quite friendly with Russia as well? 

It's all ****ed unless Putin stops himself 

Everything apart from physically going to war should be done, but if we don't even ban Russia from global sporting events for invading a ****ing country then Puton will be pissing himself laughing. 

Scary times. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Putin won't care about NATO, if he invades Ukraine then he'll know the west has no stomach for a war. 

Everything apart from physically going to war should be done, but if we don't even ban Russia from global sporting events for invading a ****ing country then Puton will be pissing himself laughing. 

Scary times. 

I don't think the games can take place. 

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

Every neutral will be rooting for them plus the officials no doubt. I really don't see us going through it they play.

My thoughts exactly at the outset.

it’s awful for Ukraine, and understandably the world and Europe will have sympathy for them.

we are really in a no win situation here

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Scary times. 

Russia will be bared from the world. 

they have no chance of playing in the euro playoffs and quite rightly 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Russia continues what's it doing Kyiv will be under Russian control this time next week if not before. 

Ukraine says it will fight. 

Russia says it will fight anyone who interferes. 

It's ****ed unless he stops himself or the west sacrifice Ukraine and let Russia control it to stop a full scale war breaking out. 

There will then be a build up of troops on the polish etc border from both sides. 

Football will be the least of the concerns, but agreed Ukraine will not be playing football as it stands. 

We're Litterally heading towards World War 3. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Russia will be bared from the world. 

they have no chance of playing in the euro playoffs and quite rightly 

Yeah it looks like they are going to be cut off in pretty much every meaningful way. 

If that happens tho, he might think there is nothing to lose if he continues his expansion. 

If Russia take Kyiv like it looks  like they are going to , the west have a tough choice. 

-Sacrifice Ukraine or enter it to free it and fight Russian troops. 

And like Hitler with the sudetanland (sp) and Czechoslavakia will he stop with Ukraine if left alone anyway? 

30 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Scary times. 

If Putin sets foot on NATO soil his army would be beaten in a fortnight and he’d be out a job

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If Putin sets foot on NATO soil his army would be beaten in a fortnight and he’d be out a job

Yeah

Outwith the nukes it's not a contest

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Maybe, but if we enter Ukraine it then gives him an excuse to expand further or retaliate. 

Ukraine is going to be invaded, it's happening now. 

What will the west and Nato do when Ukraine is under Russian control? 

Not sure Nato or the west has the same desire or stomach for a fight as Russia seems to have. 

Football wise, does that mean it's us v Wales in the final if they can't play. 

Malinga the Swinga
36 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

In that case, we will accept the bye and play winners of Wales/Austria.

Not our fault if they don't fulfil fixture.

2 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Russia should be booted out and Ukraine if possible allowed to continue in competition. 

Being serious.

Ban Russia and replace with Ukraine.

**** you Putin

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Being serious.

Ban Russia and replace with Ukraine.

**** you Putin

I think that would get support. 

It is, slightly tricky for everyone else but UEFA do have an opportunity. 

22 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe, but if we enter Ukraine it then gives him an excuse to expand further or retaliate. 

Ukraine is going to be invaded, it's happening now. 

What will the west and Nato do when Ukraine is under Russian control? 

Not sure Nato or the west has the same desire or stomach for a fight as Russia seems to have. 

Football wise, does that mean it's us v Wales in the final if they can't play. 

What happened to Austria?

30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I heard they offered the Ukrainians the exclusive use of Easter Road as a refuge/training camp. Having been given a guided tour of the local area, however, the Ukrainians opted to fly back to Kiev.

Shouldn't laugh, but... :lol: 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

What happened to Austria?

I thought Wales were playing Russia. 

58 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeah it looks like they are going to be cut off in pretty much every meaningful way. 

If that happens tho, he might think there is nothing to lose if he continues his expansion. 

If Russia take Kyiv like it looks  like they are going to , the west have a tough choice. 

-Sacrifice Ukraine or enter it to free it and fight Russian troops. 

And like Hitler with the sudetanland (sp) and Czechoslavakia will he stop with Ukraine if left alone anyway? 

You appear way more knowledgeable then me on this.

my take is the so called expansion of Ukraine into NATOis he is alledged concern.

If this didn’t happen almost every border with the exception of belarus- Bella Russia! Is a NATO country. 

i can’t believe someone in Russia hasn’t bumped him off yet.

guy is a nutter.  Oh for Gorbachev again!

We_are_the_Hearts
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Exactly it’s a Sport FFS, wish them well off the park right enough

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

You appear way more knowledgeable then me on this.

my take is the so called expansion of Ukraine into NATOis he is alledged concern.

If this didn’t happen almost every border with the exception of belarus- Bella Russia! Is a NATO country. 

i can’t believe someone in Russia hasn’t bumped him off yet.

guy is a nutter.  Oh for Gorbachev again!

Nah, not at all Tbh. I tend to avoid the news and social media but thought I'd read up on it now. You are correct in the nato concerns. 

I intially thought it was what you thought, the South East part of the country that is sympathetic with Russia and just up from crimea and the expansion of nato as Ukraine want to join, but the twat has invaded from all possible sides. 

It's basically a full scale invasion. 

They're already fighting at kiyv Airport. 

Kiyv will be taken by the weekend at this rate. 

The West has imposed sanctions but he won't care about Russians suffering, in fact he'll use that as an excuse to  galvanise them and hate the West more given the media control. 

The West will Likley need to accept Russian control of Ukraine or go in to free it if things continue as they are. 

😳

Poor Ukraine. 

They are ****ed or like in 1939 when the nazis invaded Poland we go to war. 

Then there's china 😭😭

Then we're all ****ed. 

It's escalated fast. 

The guy is mad.