• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

Just now, i8hibsh said:

All tough and all our level. Hampden will play a big part.

Perform how we did against Denmark and we can beat any of those teams.

A lot to be optimistic about.

William H. Bonney
Just now, iantjambo said:

Perform how we did against Denmark and we can beat any of those teams.

A lot to be optimistic about.

Its a shame the games aren’t until March as momentum was clearly in our favour. A lot can happen between now and then, to all teams of course. 
Just wish we’d have played them now. 

1 minute ago, William H. Bonney said:

Its a shame the games aren’t until March as momentum was clearly in our favour. A lot can happen between now and then, to all teams of course. 

Yeah, I was hoping that the games would be a lot sooner.

Niemi’s gloves
1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Sorry, I read it wrong. There is another draw at the end to determine which of the winners in each path will be the home team in the second stage.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, William H. Bonney said:

The team we have right now is strong but a few injuries or covid issues and the talent lower down in the squad isn't maybe at the level of our opponents. We need to keep our fingers crossed that the main players are fit in March well into a long league season.

I think of the list of teams I would take North Macedonia as it isn't the whole of Macedonia :smile:

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The team we have right now is strong but a few injuries or covid issues and the talent lower down in the squad isn't maybe at the level of our opponents. We need to keep our fingers crossed that the main players are fit in March well into a long league season.

I think of the list of teams I would take North Macedonia as it isn't the whole of Macedonia :smile:

They beat Germany away from home though, I doubt they’re any mugs.  If we have an off day we can lose to all 6 of them, play like we did against Denmark and we beat all 6.  Think I’d want to avoid the Czechs again and Poland just because of Lewandowski.  

19 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

The draw takes place today at 4pm.

Scotland are seeded and will play at home against one of the following:

Austria

Czech Republic

North Macedonia 

Poland 

Turkey

Ukraine

None of these are as good as Denmark. Probably want to avoid Czech Republic but the rest are beatable at home

Niemi’s gloves

If anyone cares (and assuming that Russia vs Ukraine is the only “prohibited” clash) there is a 20% chance that we will get  Ukraine and a 16% chance that we will get each of the other 5. 

more concerned about getting a potential home draw in the final and avoiding Italy and Portugal as the other semi in our section than who we get in the Semis.

Be nice to avoid Poland and Czech though. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They beat Germany away from home though, I doubt they’re any mugs.  If we have an off day we can lose to all 6 of them, play like we did against Denmark and we beat all 6.  Think I’d want to avoid the Czechs again and Poland just because of Lewandowski.  

I agree it will be 50/50 against any of those teams. If we play like we did against the Danes we can win at Hampden, play like we did in the Euros then we will needs loads of luck on our side. We have a better goalkeeper now which should help though!

57 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

We were immense but alas I feel it should be the away game that should represent us too. Denmark had already qualified and were not in 5th gear. When it mattered to them they destroyed us.

52 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

If anyone cares (and assuming that Russia vs Ukraine is the only “prohibited” clash) there is a 20% chance that we will get  Ukraine and a 16% chance that we will get each of the other 5. 

Why is Russia v Ukraine prohibited?

2 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Why is Russia v Ukraine prohibited?

Half a million Russian troops on the Ukraine border ready to invade when Putin gets round to it

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

The draw takes place today at 4pm.

Scotland are seeded and will play at home against one of the following:

Austria

Czech Republic

North Macedonia 

Poland 

Turkey

Ukraine

Think we will get Poland.

Best scenario (assuming we got through the semi final) would be for Portugal and Italy to be drawn in the same pathway.

Quite fancy 

Scotland

Sweden or Wales

---------

Turkey

North Macedonia

and a home draw in the final obviously 

Edited by Midloth_Iain

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They beat Germany away from home though, I doubt they’re any mugs.  

Probably not allowed, but I'd state a preference for playing North Macedonia's women's team, beaten 11-0 at home by Northern Ireland this week.

Niemi’s gloves
36 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Half a million Russian troops on the Ukraine border ready to invade when Putin gets round to it

Indeed, not to mention the fact that Russia is effectively occupying a large chunk of Eastern Ukraine (which is why Shakhtar currently play in Kiev rather than their home city of Donetsk). There are several other pairings that UEFA keep apart at both club and country level, including I think Gibraltar/Spain and Israel/Turkey.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That's the same sort of thinking that Wales used when they played Western Samoa at rugby in 1991. 😉

It still makes no sense Russia and Ukraine can't play against each other.

N.Ireland still played England during the Troubles and there are other examples. Mostly of good games where everyone shakes hands. Seems like its more to stop Governments being embarrassed which is definitely bringing politics into sport.

There are actually more potential issues internally in Ukraine where parts of population support Russia even before all this trouble. 

Bazzas right boot

Pretty much 50/50.

I'd prefer N Macedonia and would like to avoid Poland. 

Gonna be a cliff hanger no matter what tho. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It still makes no sense Russia and Ukraine can't play against each other.

N.Ireland still played England during the Troubles and there are other examples. Mostly of good games where everyone shakes hands. Seems like its more to stop Governments being embarrassed which is definitely bringing politics into sport.

There are actually more potential issues internally in Ukraine where parts of population support Russia even before all this trouble. 

Aye, but if Ukraine beat Russia Puttin is Likley to invade  as he's pissed off. 

North Macedonia or Austria please.

The Macedonians had a great win I. Germany but they aren't a better side than Scotland. We know all about Austria so prep would be less difficult for that tie. 

2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You can say that about 10 of the teams imo.  Poland are a Lewandowski injury away from being about Slovenia's level imo.

I'd rather avoid them but there's none of the first 6 we can't beat in front of a full Hampden.

The second game,we 100% need a home tie I'd think, maybe Wales away at a push

32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

FIFA YouTube channel.

Sky sports YouTube channel also showing it.

If England were in it I wonder what channel it would be on? :whistling:

28 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

You can say that about 10 of the teams imo.  Poland are a Lewandowski injury away from being about Slovenia's level imo.

I'd rather avoid them but there's none of the first 6 we can't beat in front of a full Hampden.

The second game,we 100% need a home tie I'd think, maybe Wales away at a push

They have a few really good players but aye, King Bob basically carries them and obviously he doesn't get the supply he does at Bayern but all he needs is a half chance as we saw during the week. Given our defence isn't great, I'd prefer to avoid Lewendowski. 

Edited by Cruyff

19 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

2016 euro qualifiers.  Two 2-2 draws

Ah cheers, memory going. Think Austria or North Macedonia would be best for us 

A_A wehatethehibs

Of that lot Poland is the one you’d want to avoid so therefore Poland is the one I expect we will get.

It would be nice to get the Czechs and give ourselves a chance for revenge, with the help of 40,000 extra fans…. And a better goalkeeper 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Probably not allowed, but I'd state a preference for playing North Macedonia's women's team, beaten 11-0 at home by Northern Ireland this week.

That's sexist. I am sure the North Macedonian women's team are every bit as capable as the North Macedonian men's team.

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

So we have to avoid Poland and the Czech Republic, Italy and Portugal.  What are the odds on that?

Best we can hope for is a home draw for the final. Getting there not going to be easy of course

21 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

In order of preference-

1. North Macedonia

2. Ukraine

3. Austria

4. Turkey

5. Czech Republic

6. Poland

Maybe swap Austria and Ukraine, but your list is about the best we can hope for! 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I Wonder how many teams are crossing their fingers hoping to actually draw us. 😂

It cant be many for a chance. 

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Wonder when we played them last in a competitive game? I can't remember any

They scored a couple of late goals in a qualifier against us at Hampden back in England's World Cup year. 

We were 1-0 up with 15 to play. 

That caused us to fail to qualify for England 66.

We would have had a great chance that year had we not shot ourselves in the foot. 

Revenge is a dish best served cold 😁

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I Wonder how many teams are crossing their fingers hoping to actually draw us. 😂

Looking at that list none. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

6.  Realistically we're the best team to get for any the non seeds

Edited by Diego10

Tynecastlesmychurch
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, but if Ukraine beat Russia Puttin is Likley to invade  as he's pissed off. 

Aye, if you ask me I’d say someone’s really got to go have a word with Puttin! The boys obviously a chancer! 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Looking at that list none. 

Mm, over the other teams, I'd say all Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

6.  Realistically we're the best team to get for any the non seeds

Yeah, I'd have thought so. 

Us or Wales. 

• davemclaren changed the title to ***World Cup Play-off Draw - Ukraine. ***