Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Connor used to be with Hearts.

I thought he joined Hibs straight from Leith Athletic. Or was he at Hearts prior to Leith?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• davemclaren

• RobboM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jambo19 said:

I thought he joined Hibs straight from Leith Athletic. Or was he at Hearts prior to Leith?

He certainly joined Hearts from Leith Athletic. I don't know if he went back to them before Hibs.

Here's a pic from 2018 (he'd be with the U15s then). He left either at the end of that season or half way through the next.

2018.thumb.jpg.07b8d620fa96857b637a8ec94f732696.jpg

Six of of the fifteen in that squad are still with us four years on.

Edited by Footballfirst

Saint Jambo
1 minute ago, Westfield Hearts said:

Wow

He is about to turn 38 so maybe not that surprising he is down at that level. What you have to say about guys like that is they clearly love football. To be willing to keep playing at whatever level there body allows shows a certain dedication to the game.

Westfield Hearts
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

He is about to turn 38 so maybe not that surprising he is down at that level. What you have to say about guys like that is they clearly love football. To be willing to keep playing at whatever level there body allows shows a certain dedication to the game.

You mean he is done and cannot accept it .

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, Westfield Hearts said:

You mean he is done and cannot accept it .

He played 30 odd times in the championship last season.

14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

He certainly joined Hearts from Leith Athletic. I don't know if he went back to them before Hibs.

Here's a pic from 2018 (he'd be with the U15s then). He left either at the end of that season or half way through the next.

Cheers FF

Do you know what happened with the 2 Penicuik lads. Mark was really good at that age for Penicuik.

Surprised Hearts let Young go

Footballfirst
36 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Cheers FF

Do you know what happened with the 2 Penicuik lads. Mark was really good at that age for Penicuik.

Surprised Hearts let Young go

Mark played against a Hearts XI on Wednesday night. He's now with Vale of Leithen, having joined them last season.  He improved them after he joined, but it would have taken much more than him to save them from relegation.

I don't know what Jamie is doing.

On 08/07/2022 at 17:57, Footballfirst said:

Conor signs for Rangers. Good replacement for Wilson

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Conor signs for Rangers. Good replacement for Wilson

He's two years older than Wilson, but will fit nicely into their B Team

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2022 at 21:48, Mikey1874 said:

Broomhill sign Kirk Broadfoot. 

Open Goal Broomhill FC.

I hate the name and surprised the suits let them away with blatant  advertising in their name.  Like Kelty and Cove, Broomhill have the financial backing.

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread
Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, RobboM said:

First game in the new Lowland League season and Rangers B are in the bottom spot

image.png

The winning goal

Hungry hippo
8 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where was the Rangers v CSS game played?

I believe Civil were at home despite the score that was copy and pasted above showing Rangers B first. So I think Muirhouse is the answer.

26 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I believe Civil were at home despite the score that was copy and pasted above showing Rangers B first. So I think Muirhouse is the answer.

It was CSS home game. I lifted the score off the Lowland League website and they had it round that way for no good reason

Edited by RobboM

Footballfirst

The fixture was reversed and brought forward 24 hours from its original scheduled date.  Rangers friendly with Spurs today probably has something to do with it. I don't know if there was an issue with their "home" pitch as Dumbarton is playing away today.

Footballfirst

The first two rounds of fixtures in the Lowland League have come up with a odd set of coincidences.  Of the top 8 from last season (excl Bonnyrigg obviously, but with Tranent replacing them), Rangers B, Celtic B, East Kilbride, Spartans, CSS, Berwick and Tranent, all have a 1 win 1 loss record. The only exception is East Stirling who has only played one game.

Hearts is obviously in a similar situation of 1 win, 1 loss.

Could be a very competitive league.

40 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Inevitable conclusion to this sponsorship deal, given what other clubs have experienced.

Good job they got a hundred and eighty grand from the B teams to off set this 

Vale of Leithen were relegated from the Lowland League last season and dropped into the East of Scotland Premier Division.
Tonight's result

Linlithgow Rose 10- 0 Vale of Leithen

VoL have conceded 15 in their opening 2 fixtures, they might have a division or 2 to fall yet to find their level. Other teams that have dropped down from the Lowland League have been Whitehill Welfare and Hawick Royal Albert who are now 2 and 3 tiers respectively below the Lowland League.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of cup competitions got underway involving Lowland League teams and clubs from lower down the pyramid in the East.
Some shocks for lowland League sides

Stoneyburn 2-1 Berwick Rangers
Kinnoull 1-1 Gala Fairydean (Kinnoull win 5-4 on pens)

Glenrothes 1-0 Own Goal Podcast XI Broomhill

Footballfirst

It's the preliminary round of the "big" Scottish Cup next weekend.

Byes - Jeanfield Swifts, Tynecastle FC

Clydebank v Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni v Golspie Sutherland
Haddington Athletic v Darvel
Syngenta v Threave Rovers
Auchinleck Talbot v Coldstream
Dalkeith Thistle v Lochee United
Whitehill Welfare v Camelon
Irvine Meadow XI v Hill of Beath
Linlithgow Rose v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Broxburn Athletic v Blackburn United
Tower Hearts v Cumnock
Sauchie v St Andrews United
Invergordon v Newtongrange Star
Vale of Leithen v Dunbar United
Preston Athletic v Newton Stewart
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Dunipace
Fort William v Benburb
Dundonald Bluebell v Tayport
Drumchapel United v Easthouses Lily
Penicuik Athletic v Musselburgh Athletic
Carnoustie Panmure v Hawick Royal Albert
Rutherglen Glencairn v Kilwinning Rangers 
Pollok v Girvan
Burntisland Shipyard v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

I think that I may take a trip down to Millfield for Haddington v Darvel.  Penicuik v Musselburgh also looks like a tight local contest.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

It's the preliminary round of the "big" Scottish Cup next weekend.

Byes - Jeanfield Swifts, Tynecastle FC

Clydebank v Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni v Golspie Sutherland
Haddington Athletic v Darvel
Syngenta v Threave Rovers
Auchinleck Talbot v Coldstream
Dalkeith Thistle v Lochee United
Whitehill Welfare v Camelon
Irvine Meadow XI v Hill of Beath
Linlithgow Rose v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Broxburn Athletic v Blackburn United
Tower Hearts v Cumnock
Sauchie v St Andrews United
Invergordon v Newtongrange Star
Vale of Leithen v Dunbar United
Preston Athletic v Newton Stewart
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Dunipace
Fort William v Benburb
Dundonald Bluebell v Tayport
Drumchapel United v Easthouses Lily
Penicuik Athletic v Musselburgh Athletic
Carnoustie Panmure v Hawick Royal Albert
Rutherglen Glencairn v Kilwinning Rangers 
Pollok v Girvan
Burntisland Shipyard v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

I think that I may take a trip down to Millfield for Haddington v Darvel.  Penicuik v Musselburgh also looks like a tight local contest.

Another away trip for Mussy. :( Sure it was Penicuik away last year too and the year before that was the daunting trip to Wick which ended up getting played midweek.

I'd love to see a Scottish Cup tie at Olivebank.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Another away trip for Mussy. :( Sure it was Penicuik away last year too and the year before that was the daunting trip to Wick which ended up getting played midweek.

I'd love to see a Scottish Cup tie at Olivebank.

The Preliminary round does have replays in the event of a draw, so there's a possibility for a home game👍

19 hours ago, RobboM said:

A couple of cup competitions got underway involving Lowland League teams and clubs from lower down the pyramid in the East.
Some shocks for lowland League sides

Stoneyburn 2-1 Berwick Rangers
Kinnoull 1-1 Gala Fairydean (Kinnoull win 5-4 on pens)

Glenrothes 1-0 Own Goal Podcast XI Broomhill

Kinnoull without their 1st choice keeper too, played a 19 year old in goal. Good to get revenge on Gala Fairydean after they put Kinnoull out of a cup on penalties in the Semi-Final last season.

RustyRightPeg
25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Unless he's got a job lined up elsewhere.

Behind the scenes issues. Things going on he wasn’t too happy with I believe. 

Footballfirst

I decided to skip the B Team game at Falkirk tonight and go a couple of miles further to Ochilview to watch the first of the ties in the Scottish Cup Preliminary Round between Syngenta and Threave Rovers.

The home side just deserved their 1-0 win in an entertaining game.  Threave has improved a bit since they moved to the WOSFL, probably by recruiting a few players from LL side Dalbeattie.  Syngenta was decent and could well achieve back to back promotions in the EOSFL by winning the EOS Division 2 this season. 

Got my wish of a Musselburgh home tie in the Scottish Cup. After a cracking win at Penicuik, they'll welcome Newtongrange Star to Olivebank. Great opportunity to make it to the 2nd round.

Footballfirst

Full first round draw

1 Gretna 2008 v Edinburgh Univ
2 Cumbernauld Colts v Dalbeattie Star
3 Jeanfield Swifts v Brechin City
4 Musselburgh Ath v Newtongrange Star
5 Forres Mechanics v Glasgow Univ
6 Gala Fairydean Rovers v Sauchie
7 Keith v Cumnock
8 Syngenta v Auchinleck Talbot
9 Benburb v Dundonald Bleubell
10 Banks o' Dee v Turriff Utd
11 Rutherglen Glencairn/Kilwinnning Rangers v Tranent
12 Strathspey Thistle v Camelon 
13 Darvel v Tynecastle
14 Formartine Utd v East Stirlingshire
15 Carnoustie Panmure/Hawick Royal Albert v Rothes
16 Wick Academy v Lochee Utd
17 Civil Service Strollers v Fraserburgh
18 Linlithgow Rose v Berwick Rangers
19 Lossiemouth v Buckie Thistle
20 Nairn County v Drumchapel United
21 Cowdenbeath v Bo'ness Utd
22 Pollok v Huntly
23 Dunbar Utd v Clachnacuddin
24 Dunipace v Broxburn Athletic
25 Caledonian Braves v Newton Stewart
26 Deveronvale v East Kilbride
27 Clydebank v Spartans
28 Irvine Meadow/Hill of Beath v Inverurie Locos
29 Open Goal Broomhill v Brora Rangers
30 University of Stirling v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Clydebank v Spartans probably tie of the round.

I agree although there are a few other possibilities for the televised tie.

Jeanfield v Brechin

Cowdenbeath v Bo'ness

Linlithgow v Berwick

OG Broomhill v Brora

Syngenta v Auchinleck

John Findlay

Lossiemouth v Buckie Thistle is a good Highland Derby, they are alot closer to each other than a lot of other games that get called a Derby.

Footballfirst

The OF taking the piss on fixture scheduling once again, postponing games on a whim so that Rangers can maximise a home gate by playing at Ibrox instead of Dumbarton.  I expect that Celtic will do the same for the reverse fixture later in the season if there is a clash with a Parkhead home game.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The OF taking the piss on fixture scheduling once again, postponing games on a whim so that Rangers can maximise a home gate by playing at Ibrox instead of Dumbarton.  I expect that Celtic will do the same for the reverse fixture later in the season if there is a clash with a Parkhead home game.

Pretty sure Celtic fixture was played at dark head last season

On 29/08/2022 at 16:08, RobboM said:

Top scorer in this year's Scottish Cup competition might have already been settled 😂

24724460-29E6-4C51-AF24-250D887AA628.png

Does he go home with 3 match balls? :lol:

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Stinks t high heaven and we can expect the Lowland League to crack down hard on yet another egregious broaching of sporting integrity given their strict requirements on Guest teams on application

Expecting a fine (suspended) of £50

image.png

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Stinks t high heaven and we can expect the Lowland League to crack down hard on yet another egregious broaching of sporting integrity given their strict requirements on Guest teams on application

Expecting a fine (suspended) of £50

image.png

Do you have a source document for that "rule"?

It doesn't appear in the current SLFL rules (version 19) accessed via their website.

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Do you have a source document for that "rule"?

It doesn't appear in the current SLFL rules (version 19) accessed via their website.

I'd remembered it from earlier in this thread as that particularly rule was regularly flouted by the OF B teams last season so I was pleased to see the LL show some balls. Turned out it was your own post but quoting this post from another thread but no source other than a screen shot sadly

• 2 weeks later...

For my third game of the day, I took in the Scottish Cup 1st round game between Musselburgh and Newtongrange.  The visitors won 2-1 after extra time, but Mussy should be kicking themselves because of the manner of their defeat.

After 90 minutes it was 1-1 which was a fair reflection of what was a pretty mediocre game. Things didn't improve in the first half of ET, but the final 15 minutes were eventful to say the least.

First Mussy was awarded a penalty for a stonewall handball. A second yellow/red was given against the defender involved.  Another Nitten player said something untoward to the ref and he was shown a straight red.  11 against 9 with a penalty to come, should have been straight forward for the home side.

Not a bit of it. A poorly hit penalty went wide of the target and Nitten had at least a chance of seeing things through to penalties.  Despite being two men down Nitten pushed forward and their lone striker got the better of his marker who pulled him down. The ref judged it to be denial of a goal scoring opportunity and Mussy went down to 10.

Nitten pushed forward once again and managed to take advantage of the break of the ball in the six yard box to score what would prove to be the winner.

Mussy came close to an equaliser a couple of times in the remaining minutes including one exceptional save from the Nitten keeper, but the final whistle came to much relief and celebration from the visiting players and fans. 

Well worth the £4 entrance fee (conc) for the second period of ET alone.

27 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

For my third game of the day, I took in the Scottish Cup 1st round game between Musselburgh and Newtongrange.  The visitors won 2-1 after extra time, but Mussy should be kicking themselves because of the manner of their defeat.

After 90 minutes it was 1-1 which was a fair reflection of what was a pretty mediocre game. Things didn't improve in the first half of ET, but the final 15 minutes were eventful to say the least.

First Mussy was awarded a penalty for a stonewall handball. A second yellow/red was given against the defender involved.  Another Nitten player said something untoward to the ref and he was shown a straight red.  11 against 9 with a penalty to come, should have been straight forward for the home side.

Not a bit of it. A poorly hit penalty went wide of the target and Nitten had at least a chance of seeing things through to penalties.  Despite being two men down Nitten pushed forward and their lone striker got the better of his marker who pulled him down. The ref judged it to be denial of a goal scoring opportunity and Mussy went down to 10.

Nitten pushed forward once again and managed to take advantage of the break of the ball in the six yard box to score what would prove to be the winner.

Mussy came close to an equaliser a couple of times in the remaining minutes including one exceptional save from the Nitten keeper, but the final whistle came to much relief and celebration from the visiting players and fans. 

Well worth the £4 entrance fee (conc) for the second period of ET alone.

It was Joe Hamill who was sent off for Musselburgh I think.

Scottish Cup second round draw. A few decent ties with local interest.

Bo'ness Utd  v  Auchinleck Talbot
Cumnock  v  Dumbarton
Newtongrange Star  v  Hill of Beath
Brechin City  v  Stirling Albion
Kilwinning Rangers  v  Forfar Athletic
Dunipace  v  Banks o'Dee
Dalbeattie Star  v  Darvel
Elgin City  v  Camelon
East Kilbride  v  Caledonian Braves
Sauchie  v  Bonnyrigg Rose
Wick Academy  v  Benburb
Stenhousemuir  v  East Fife