Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Lowland League still settling down.

Contenders Broomhill and Spartans both thrashed this week. 

East Kilbride and Tranent winning. 

20221109_215241.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

20221109_215241.jpg

I was at the Tranent vs OG Broomhill game last night and was expecting a close game as they were 4th & 6th in the table - was an easy win for the home side who were 3-0 up in 25 minutes! Decent crowd of 658. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

I was at the Tranent vs OG Broomhill game last night and was expecting a close game as they were 4th & 6th in the table - was an easy win for the home side who were 3-0 up in 25 minutes! Decent crowd of 658. 

I was there too. Best I've seen Tranent play since the playoff game at Darvel. They have to be in with a chance of winning the league, particularly with all the other top clubs being so inconsistent.

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I was there too. Best I've seen Tranent play since the playoff game at Darvel. They have to be in with a chance of winning the league, particularly with all the other top clubs being so inconsistent.

Watched them on Saturday against Rangers drew 2-2 with a few questionable refereeing decisions going against them looking to hot form again after little blip when had manager change

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20221109_215241.jpg

Shame to see East Stirlingshire doing so badly. Cowdenbeath no much better.

Our 9-0 over Edin Uni could show the end of Lowland League for them. Once out, highly unlikely to ever return.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Our 9-0 over Edin Uni could show the end of Lowland League for them. Once out, highly unlikely to ever return.

Correct, that's why they don't vote to increase relegation spots.  Look at Vale of Leithen and Whitehill Welfare. Same will happen to Edinburgh Uni, Dalbeattie, Gretna, Cumbernauld etc as they drop to their natural level to be replaced by much stronger clubs.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Don't get relegated from League 2 is the lesson. 

Footballfirst

It's tight at the top in the Lowland League.

Of the clubs that can win the league, the top five are separated by a single point and only two goals in their respective goal differences.

Hearts moved up a place after their 2-1 win over Gretna this afternoon.  It wasn't great from Hearts despite having gone 2-0 inside 25 minutes. It wasn't quite backs to the wall stuff in the second half, but pretty scrappy all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 20:04, Footballfirst said:

It's tight at the top in the Lowland League.

Of the clubs that can win the league, the top five are separated by a single point and only two goals in their respective goal differences.

Hearts moved up a place after their 2-1 win over Gretna this afternoon.  It wasn't great from Hearts despite having gone 2-0 inside 25 minutes. It wasn't quite backs to the wall stuff in the second half, but pretty scrappy all the same.

is it not a condition of the B teams inclusion that they cant be promoted?

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

is it not a condition of the B teams inclusion that they cant be promoted?

Yes. The B Teams (but not their results) are discounted for promotion/relegation purposes.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. The B Teams (but not their results) are discounted for promotion/relegation purposes.

Thanks, thought so.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Tranent move up to within a point of Rangers B tonight in the Lowland League with a rather one sided 8-0 win against Edin Uni. 

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Watched Tranent move up to within a point of Rangers B tonight in the Lowland League with a rather one sided 8-0 win against Edin Uni. 

Not as good as Hearts B's 9-0 win over the Uni a few weeks ago. :whistling:

10 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Edin Uni need punted out that league 

Edin Uni are geographically my local team, so that’s the only reason I don’t want them to fall out of the league now (Dalbeattie being 2.5 hours away) and it’s only £6 to get in, where they have a decent clubhouse with good offerings

however they are definitely going to be bottom of the pyramid either this season or next. Shame but the level of the lowland league is definitely rising and will continue with the influx of teams in the next couple of years (Bonnyrigg ran Kelty Hearts close on the back of a promotion and Tranent flying high) 

Edited by BM1874

4 hours ago, BM1874 said:

Edin Uni are geographically my local team, so that’s the only reason I don’t want them to fall out of the league now (Dalbeattie being 2.5 hours away) and it’s only £6 to get in, where they have a decent clubhouse with good offerings

however they are definitely going to be bottom of the pyramid either this season or next. Shame but the level of the lowland league is definitely rising and will continue with the influx of teams in the next couple of years (Bonnyrigg ran Kelty Hearts close on the back of a promotion and Tranent flying high) 

Where does Edin Uni play?

Tayside Jambo

Brechin are strong favourites for the highland league and have seen them a few times this year. 

Having seen the teams near the top of the LL this season also, on current form think that Brechin would scrape a playoff. But obviously a lot of football left. 

6CB22D8D-B680-40A8-A460-341A0B671504.jpeg

87B228A3-3E9D-49FC-8EB9-C0506FDFBA5E.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

East Peffermill

Aye, i thought that, just that he said that it was his local team being that Dalbeattie is 2.5 hours away. But realised he was on about the lower league teams 👍

6 hours ago, BM1874 said:

Is gretna not geographically your local team then being as it's only half an hour away from dalbeattie?

38 minutes ago, TrueJambo said:

Is gretna not geographically your local team then being as it's only half an hour away from dalbeattie?

I assume they live in Edinburgh and are only mentioning Dalbeattie as they are Edin Uni's relegation rivals.

31 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I assume they live in Edinburgh and are only mentioning Dalbeattie as they are Edin Uni's relegation rivals.

Ah makes a little more sense that lol

Apolgoies for the confusion…

I live in south Edinburgh, a 5 minute walk from East Peffermill. 

My reference of Dalbeattie was that they are the other team at the bottom (by 10 Points at time of writing between east Stirling in third bottom

and Edin Uni 2nd bottom) so it’s likely to be one of the two of EU or Dalbeattie being relegated and Dalbeattie are 2 hours+ drive away so for purely local and selfish reasons I’d like to see Edin Uni stay up. 

Edited by BM1874

27 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Apolgoies for the confusion…

I live in south Edinburgh, a 5 minute walk from East Peffermill. 

My reference of Dalbeattie was that they are the other team at the bottom (by 10 Points at time of writing between east Stirling in third bottom

and Edin Uni 2nd bottom) so it’s likely to be one of the two of EU or Dalbeattie being relegated and Dalbeattie are 2 hours+ drive away so for purely local and selfish reasons I’d like to see Edin Uni stay up. 

I see my brain runs slow mostly lol linlithgow looking like the team to be promoted so they are even closer than dalbeattie, would also like to say it would be some achievement for Tranent if they managed back to back promotions 

Maroon Sailor

Tranent in pole position for the end of season play off. I think East Kilbride will clinch it though.

Screenshot_20221227-131646_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb6d17bfa04af8df4b2fb2cadfbd0218.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tranent in pole position for the end of season play off. I think East Kilbride will clinch it though.

Screenshot_20221227-131646_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb6d17bfa04af8df4b2fb2cadfbd0218.jpg

One thing that concerns me with East Kilbride’s season is I think they’ve dropped some silly points. Tranent only seem to be getting stronger.

What a season for Stirling Uni too. I’m going to watch them vs Edinburgh Uni at Peffermill on Hogmanay.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

No one is a stand out though. 

University of Stirling are the form team. 

Results seem very random near the top so I wouldn't be putting a lot of money on any team making the promotion playoff spot. A good run for any top team now could make the difficult to catch.

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

North Edinburgh Derby

Great - a team with a Hibs link up go to a team who were previously linked with Hibs.

9 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

What links do Civil have with Hibs? Genuinely not sure.

I know Spartans did have.

Think they put a couple of young lads there on loan a season or so ago 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Great - a team with a Hibs link up go to a team who were previously linked with Hibs.

Seems to be a theme. FC Edinburgh are linked up with that lot as well.

I can see Tranent being linked up with them anaw !

Who are the Hearts links ? Bonnyrigg?  Penicuik? Linlithgow? 

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Seems to be a theme. FC Edinburgh are linked up with that lot as well.

I can see Tranent being linked up with them anaw !

Who are the Hearts links ? Bonnyrigg?  Penicuik? Linlithgow? 

I think it's part of Gordon's masterplan.

For some reason I've always assumed Tranent would link more to Hearts.

Other than the ones you mentioned I assume Tynecastle and Newton grange Star.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I think it's part of Gordon's masterplan.

For some reason I've always assumed Tranent would link more to Hearts.

Other than the ones you mentioned I assume Tynecastle and Newton grange Star.

Tranent is just up the road from East Mains, so a Hibs link would be understandable.

However, there are more ex Hearts youths at Tranent just now, than ex Hibs.

Tayside Jambo
17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No one is a stand out though. 

University of Stirling are the form team. 

What happens if they go up? 

I'm assuming their squad is students so would vary wildly each few years. 

10 minutes ago, Tayside Jambo said:

What happens if they go up? 

I'm assuming their squad is students so would vary wildly each few years. 

I think there are a lot of sporting "scholarships" at Stirling for a variety of sports. For example swimmers and golfers as well as footballers. Facilities are great for tennis , swimming and football in particular. I think Falkirk train or used to train there.

I love the pyramid system.  I think it's given the lower leagues in Scotland a real freshening up.  Teams can no longer just canter along with no ambition.  The lowland league has done well recently with Kelty and Bonnyrigg but I think the highland league looks stronger this year so i expect the winners of that to contest the ultimate play off.  

ShortmanRossco
1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

I think there are a lot of sporting "scholarships" at Stirling for a variety of sports. For example swimmers and golfers as well as footballers. Facilities are great for tennis , swimming and football in particular. I think Falkirk train or used to train there.

Yeah the facilities I'd argue are better there than better than the facilities for most championship teams. Our Uni turned up to play them there and it's like a completely different world.

We duly got pumped 5-0 and I'm still looking for their forward to this day 🤦‍♂️

15 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

"Talented younger players like Jayden Fairley, Jack Brydon and Callum Yeats – who made a move to Queen’s Park this week – have all progressed from playing with Civil Service Strollers into the football league with Stenhousemuir, and the hope is that more Hibernian players can be offered similar opportunities in the near future."

Well, Jayden Fairley was released and is now with Armadale Thistle in the East of Scotland 3rd Division.

Footballfirst

Just looking at the EOS Premier Table, I see that the bottom three sides have all had player registration issues and points deducted.  That includes the reversal of the season's biggest surprise score of LTHV 4-2 Linlithgow at the beginning of December, which has now been recorded as a 1-0 win for Linlithgow.

image.thumb.png.186146817d6d3c0997d201be2c28f0f9.png

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I know it's been covered a lot but so frustrating that only 1 team can go up from the tier 6 leagues.

You can blame the current LL teams for that. They had a vote prior to the start of the season and I think it was 9-7 against opening up promotion/relegation to/from the LL.

I hope that they have another vote this summer.  With VOL dropping out and being replaced by Tranent, then the vote should be 8-8 at worst.

7 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I know it's been covered a lot but so frustrating that only 1 team can go up from the tier 6 leagues.

They should do a purge year. Highland, lowland, west and league 2 all in one big league. Everyone plays each other once.  The top 10 make up the new league 2.

It’s never going to happen, but that would fix it all and be bloody exciting.