Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

29 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Just looking at the EOS Premier Table, I see that the bottom three sides have all had player registration issues and points deducted.  That includes the reversal of the season's biggest surprise score of LTHV 4-2 Linlithgow at the beginning of December, which has now been recorded as a 1-0 win for Linlithgow.

image.thumb.png.186146817d6d3c0997d201be2c28f0f9.png

I noticed there was a team in the Highland league banks of dee I think that has been deducted all their wins for playing an unregistered player ,was 7/8 games guessing the losing side's were giving a 1-0 aswell 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, TrueJambo said:

I noticed there was a team in the Highland league banks of dee I think that has been deducted all their wins for playing an unregistered player ,was 7/8 games guessing the losing side's were giving a 1-0 aswell 

Yes. They were penalised with a 24 point deduction, and thrown out the Scottish Cup, but have already moved off the bottom of the table.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4963213/banks-o-dee-hammered-with-24-point-penalty-as-player-registration-issue-sees-them-drop-to-bottom-of-breedon-highland-league/

Sadly the weather put an end to my idea of 3 games in 4 days. To warm me up for Monday, I wanted to watch an East Lothian derby at Olivebank last night and the Uni clash at Peffermill today. Both rained off sadly.

Spartans vs Civil could be a shout, but I've been up bright as a button since 3.30am so chances of me bussing it across town for that? :lol:

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Sadly the weather put an end to my idea of 3 games in 4 days. To warm me up for Monday, I wanted to watch an East Lothian derby at Olivebank last night and the Uni clash at Peffermill today. Both rained off sadly.

Spartans vs Civil could be a shout, but I've been up bright as a button since 3.30am so chances of me bussing it across town for that? :lol:

One East Lothian derby did go ahead last night.

Dunbar United beat Preston Athletic 1-0 in a 40mph howler at New Countess Park

Decent game considering the conditions and a really good turnout too 👍

Footballfirst

I went to the top of EOS Division 2 game between Syngenta and Whitburn last night. 4-3 to the home side. Great entertainment for the neutrals. Two red cards, some terrific goals including a worldie strike from the Syngenta #7, plus the miss of the season by Whitburn late in the game.

Cowdenbeath v Tranent for me today.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

One East Lothian derby did go ahead last night.

Dunbar United beat Preston Athletic 1-0 in a 40mph howler at New Countess Park

Decent game considering the conditions and a really good turnout too 👍

Dunbar always seems to beat the weather somehow. :lol: Couple of weeks back when the snow hit, only 2 games that went ahead in the whole EoS was Dunbar and funnily enough, Preston. 

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Locky said:

Dunbar always seems to beat the weather somehow. :lol: Couple of weeks back when the snow hit, only 2 games that went ahead in the whole EoS was Dunbar and funnily enough, Preston. 

Sunny Dunny 😎

I was at the game a few weeks ago too. New Countess Park has a playing surface league clubs would be proud of. 👍

Tayside Jambo
21 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I know it's been covered a lot but so frustrating that only 1 team can go up from the tier 6 leagues.

Or potentially none in the north. Play off for the 3 tier 6 leagues (Midlands, North Region and Caledonian league) all in a round Robin and winner of that plays last place of HL home and away and winner of that is in the HL, all subject to whether the tier 6 league winners have SFA Licence. 

so in theory, no team could go up which is nonsense! 

Edited by Tayside Jambo

Tayside Jambo
20 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. They were penalised with a 24 point deduction, and thrown out the Scottish Cup, but have already moved off the bottom of the table.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4963213/banks-o-dee-hammered-with-24-point-penalty-as-player-registration-issue-sees-them-drop-to-bottom-of-breedon-highland-league/

Won their league at a canter last year and would have fancied themselves to be in the top third of the HL this year. HL has 3 groups of teams, top 6 that all do well, middle 5/6 that take points off each other and maybe give the top teams a scare, then the bottom 5/6 that share their points. 

this year I think a lot have seen what happened to Fort William so have done more recruiting. A lot of the junior teams in the tayside area could give most of the HL a game but don’t see many getting promoted. Would financially cripple the clubs with travel to some of the places from Dundee area. 3 hour drive on a bus to a lot of these places, sometimes more. 

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, Tayside Jambo said:

A lot of the junior teams in the tayside area could give most of the HL a game but don’t see many getting promoted. Would financially cripple the clubs with travel to some of the places from Dundee area. 3 hour drive on a bus to a lot of these places, sometimes more. 

Only Lochee United and Tayport are currently eligible for promotion (Licensed) from the Midlands League. Neither of them look likely to feature in the play-offs. 

Broughty Athletic may have applied for a licence this season, given that their facilities are probably the best in the league, so could conceivably make the move.

The Tayside sides are between a rock and a hard place as the option of the Lowland League would also involve significant travel costs.

17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Only Lochee United and Tayport are currently eligible for promotion (Licensed) from the Midlands League. Neither of them look likely to feature in the play-offs. 

Broughty Athletic may have applied for a licence this season, given that their facilities are probably the best in the league, so could conceivably make the move.

The Tayside sides are between a rock and a hard place as the option of the Lowland League would also involve significant travel costs.

Is there any case for a midland league at teir 5 level?

Footballfirst
47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not really enough strength or a catchment area unless there was a complete restructure of the SPFL/HL with Forfar, Montrose, Brechin etc involved.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Not really enough strength or a catchment area unless there was a complete restructure of the SPFL/HL with Forfar, Montrose, Brechin etc involved.

👍

Tayside Jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Neither are good enough. 

Lochee, despite being one of the so called bigger teams, have a chaotic board room. 

Needed floodlights to get their license, one of the board gave them around 40k for the lights that they need to pay back. Hired a manager, then sacked him about 3 days later as it wasn’t fully agreed by all committee members.

Have an ageing squad, and players they have on their books that they don’t play but won’t let them leave to play elsewhere as they want money for them. (Garry Kenneth). 

Carnoustie are probably the best team just now, Kirriemuir also having a cracking season. East Craigie had a cracking season last year but have lost their goals by players heading to Brechin in the Highland League. 

Ultimately none of the clubs would be financially viable in the Highland League long term. While the route to the SPFL is open to all clubs now, I would say there are very few clubs that have stadiums fit for that level should they ever get there. 

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sunny Dunny 😎

I was at the game a few weeks ago too. New Countess Park has a playing surface league clubs would be proud of. 👍

Only ever been past it on the train but looks a cracking setup.

Actually, I’m wanting to head down in March for my first trip. It’s the groundhop weekend so it’s Dunbar in the early kick off then Mussy at home that night!

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

For me, the obvious answer is a three way split at Tier 5 into Highland, East Lowland (including Tayside) and West Lowland. On this pattern the Midland League could be a feeder league either into the Tier 5 Lowland East or into the top level of the EoS (Tier 6). Similarly the South of Scotland league could become a feeder at an appropriate level into the West set up. 

Lots of advantages. Basically gives the old West junior clubs what they want. Gets rid of enough clubs from the existing Lowland League (EK, Cumbernauld, Broomhill,  Caledonian Braves, the OF B teams, Gretna, Dalbeattie) to allow several decent  EoS  clubs to come up immediately and hopefully have a proper 2 up, 2 down slimmed down 16 club Lowland League East. 

The Mighty Thor
41 minutes ago, Locky said:

Only ever been past it on the train but looks a cracking setup.

Actually, I’m wanting to head down in March for my first trip. It’s the groundhop weekend so it’s Dunbar in the early kick off then Mussy at home that night!

It's a great set up down here 👍

Decent football from a pretty young squad on a good pitch. 

30 second wander from the bar at Hallhill and you can pre-order your half time pint 😉 

Mind you an 11.15 kick off is a bit severe☹️

Had hoped to have done Newtongrange Star V Whitehill last night and the big Uni derby today

unfortunate  rained off which leads to a rather odd Saturday in the house watching the games on tv.

have managed a fair few LL games this season (primarily Hearts B)  but have to be content with 39 games this season so far (40 a full season is my all time best so closing in)

hearts highlights will have to do until Monday 

Niemi’s gloves
21 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This season's Vale of Leithen

Screenshot_20230103-215532_Chrome.jpg

Bit of a shame. Knocks Hearts B off the “biggest win of the season” in the LL.

More seriously, good to see that Spartans beat Rangers B. And a real four way (or more) fight for the right to be in the play offs. Though I think I would back Brechin to win the HL, the play off against the LL contender  and then go up at the expense of Albion Rovers. 

36 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Bit of a shame. Knocks Hearts B off the “biggest win of the season” in the LL.

More seriously, good to see that Spartans beat Rangers B. And a real four way (or more) fight for the right to be in the play offs. Though I think I would back Brechin to win the HL, the play off against the LL contender  and then go up at the expense of Albion Rovers. 

In that scenario, Edinburgh Uni would go down as well as it stands.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I was at the Spartans v Rangers B game tonight.  Spartans fully deserved their win.  Rangers had the bulk of possession in the second half, but were incapable of creating chances.

I was speaking to Stephen Frail at the game.  He said that he had watched Rangers B several times this season, but sees no prospects with first team potential there.

Looks like no-one can be considered favourites for the LL title now.  University of Stirling with games in hand look well placed to surprise the better known sides.

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I was at the Spartans v Rangers B game tonight.  Spartans fully deserved their win.  Rangers had the bulk of possession in the second half, but were incapable of creating chances.

I was speaking to Stephen Frail at the game.  He said that he had watched Rangers B several times this season, but sees no prospects with first team potential there.

Looks like no-one can be considered favourites for the LL title now.  University of Stirling with games in hand look well placed to surprise the better known sides.

Ws thinking about Stelvie Frail the other day.

What is he doing now, football wise?

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ws thinking about Stelvie Frail the other day.

What is he doing now, football wise?

I'm not sure that he has had an official job since he left Dundee Utd 18 months ago. He's been at quite a few Hearts Academy games (U16s/U18s) in the last couple of years. From what he said a few months ago he had been doing scouting work, but without a club attachment that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some big scores today. Bo'ness stuck 12 past Bathgate and Armadale have stuck 11 past Livi United.

Mussy cruising 6-0 this afternoon too. :D 

part_time_jambo

Whitburn open up a 6 point lead at the top of the second division with a game in hand. On course for back to back league titles.

On 20/01/2023 at 10:51, Footballfirst said:

Tranent going all out for promotion, or just the signing of a striker who has seen better days.

He came on for the last 20mins against Gretna on Saturday and played  well,some very good one twos and cut ins from the left where he moved by players effortlessly.Found a man with every pass.The lad Healy signed from Dundonald was outstanding.

FWIW I dont think Tranent will win the league or get the playoff place but I said the same at this time last year.Heady days at a club who were hours from closing less than a decade ago.Linlithgow at home on Saturday in a cup tie should be interesting.

Interesting thread as I’ve started to watch a few LL games this season. Been to see Civil Service Strollers, The Spartans, & Edinburgh University. Also went to Tynecastle v HVLT in EOSL & Hearts Women v Motherwell & Hibs. Really enjoying going to the lower leagues and enjoying reading the thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking like an exciting run-in ahead.

Can someone advise how the play-offs will work. My memory is terrible.

Meaning Brechin or Buckie from Highland and probably Darvel or Auchinleck  from the west.

Screenshot_20230212_113954_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Tommy Brown

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Lowland winners play the Highland winners over 2 legs. The winner then plays the team who finish bottom of League 2 for a chance in the SPFL. Obviously if a B team win the league then the play-off spot will go to the runner-up or further down until a non-B team gets it basically.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Top non B team will play a 2 leg play off against the Highland League champions.

Winner has a play off against bottom of SPFL 2.

Edited by DETTY29

Another fine win for Mussy yesterday. 3-1 over Penicuik, off the back of a 10-2 win over Vale of Leithen and a 7-0 win over Oakley.

Linlithgow sadly too far ahead to get caught this season, but will be eager to see how Mussy do next year if Rose go up.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Another fine win for Mussy yesterday. 3-1 over Penicuik, off the back of a 10-2 win over Vale of Leithen and a 7-0 win over Oakley.

Linlithgow sadly too far ahead to get caught this season, but will be eager to see how Mussy do next year if Rose go up.

Was at the 2 Linlithgow games this week. Tuesday against FC Edinburgh in the cup great game and good result yesterday they were poor against LTHV in the league bad result a long way to go till end of May when the league finishes. Big game next sat against Sauchie who are along with Muzzy serious challengers.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

I was also at this game but following Penicuik. 
Musselburgh well worth their half time lead and should really have had more to show. 
A few half time tweaks from Penicuik made it much more even second half but Penicuik’s problem this year is lack of goals which is no surprise when you look at the calibre of players they lost from last season. 
First visit to Musselburgh and I was really impressed with their ground. Also a very healthy crowd which was maybe aided by Hearts and Hibs not playing. 

Footballfirst

It looks like Syngenta (3rd in EOS Div 2) is on the verge of folding after losing their main backer, their management team and half their players. They have been unable to field a team in their last two fixtures.

The club was born out of the established juvenile set up and joined the EOSFL ground sharing at Ochilview.

Their U20s have already folded, with the juvenile set up looking to create a new pathway with Bo'ness Athletic.

Edited by Footballfirst

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The way the tier 6 leagues are going, there is a possibility that Linlithgow could get promoted to the Lowland League without a playoff. The Rose are 10 points clear with only 8 games left, although their closest challengers, Jeanfield and Sauchie, have a game in hand.

In the WOS, Beith (unlicensed) beat Darvel today to extend their lead to 5 points, although Darvel has a game in hand. Auchinleck remains in the hunt as they have 6 games in hand over Beith, albeit they are 15 points adrift.

In the SOS none of the top four sides are licenced (Creetown, Lochar Thistle, Abbey Vale and Mid Annandale), so it  doesn't look if they will be able to put a club forward.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The way the tier 6 leagues are going, there is a possibility that Linlithgow could get promoted to the Lowland League without a playoff. The Rose are 10 points clear with only 8 games left, although their closest challengers, Jeanfield and Sauchie, have a game in hand.

In the WOS, Beith (unlicensed) beat Darvel today to extend their lead to 5 points, although Darvel has a game in hand. Auchinleck remains in the hunt as they have 6 games in hand over Beith, albeit they are 15 points adrift.

In the SOS none of the top four sides are licenced (Creetown, Lochar Thistle, Abbey Vale and Mid Annandale), so it  doesn't look if they will be able to put a club forward.

Would be great for the Rose, although has relegation been confirmed for the LL? Can’t recall the ins and outs, but thought it wasn’t always a cert. Although Edinburgh Uni doing themselves a disservice in that league I’d say.

In other LL news, Spartans in great form and went top today. Looking like a 3-horse race between them, Tranent and Stirling Uni for the playoff spot to the SPFL. Berwick I’m great form too and beat the young Huns 3-0, but too little to late for promotion hopes this season.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Would be great for the Rose, although has relegation been confirmed for the LL? Can’t recall the ins and outs, but thought it wasn’t always a cert. Although Edinburgh Uni doing themselves a disservice in that league I’d say.

In other LL news, Spartans in great form and went top today. Looking like a 3-horse race between them, Tranent and Stirling Uni for the playoff spot to the SPFL. Berwick I’m great form too and beat the young Huns 3-0, but too little to late for promotion hopes this season.

There is always a guaranteed promotion spot, but the relegation place isn't. It depends on promotion/relegation between the LL and SPFL2 and which leagues teams are promoted from and relegated to.  There is also the possibility of two teams being relegated this season, e.g. if Brechin won the play-off and Bonnyrigg dropped back into the LL. 

I think Rangers had a weakened team today although Berwick is on a good run.  Rangers U19s were playing in a tournament in Morocco all last week, playing 5 games (won 1) against teams including Real Madrid, Lyon and Marsaille.

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Does the play off spot not go ti Darvel or Auchinleck if beith are ineligible