Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Tommy Brown

Couple of big matches ahead in the Lowland League.

Wed. UoS v Tranent 

Sat.  Tranent v Spartans

Sat. Rangers B v UoS

Tranent need to win both and get the gap to 2 pts.

UoS need to win both and hope Tranent beat Spartans and close the gap to 1 point

I don't watch any of this, but I do like to follow the results.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Niemi’s gloves

Remarkable result in the Lowland League with bottom club Dalbeattie coming back from 2-0 down at half time to draw 2-2 with Celtic B. Significantly increases the chances that Spartans (or conceivably Stirling Uni) finish as league winners rather than an OF B team. 

in the Highland league, Brechin held to 0-0 at home to Brora swings the pendulum towards Buckie ending as HL winners. Buckie are at home to Brechin on the final day so still all to play for. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Footballfirst
On 02/04/2023 at 08:32, Tommy Brown said:

Wed. UoS v Tranent 

Sat.  Tranent v Spartans

Sat. Rangers B v UoS

UoS need to win both and hope Tranent beat Spartans and close the gap to 1 point

I was at Ainslie Park tonight for Spartans v Dundonald in the EOS Qualifying Cup. It was clear from the team selection that Spartans have their focus on Saturday, as they had several reserves/U20s playing. It wasn't a surprise that they lost 5-2.

Fxxx the SPFL

Always wondered if the Uni teams only pick players who attend the University only because you see them going from pretty mediocre to suddenly very good as in Stirling. i always thought that as the students finished up they returned back home hence the reason for good/bad players some seasons

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

6 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Always wondered if the Uni teams only pick players who attend the University only because you see them going from pretty mediocre to suddenly very good as in Stirling. i always thought that as the students finished up they returned back home hence the reason for good/bad players some seasons

I think the fact Stirling is a centre of sports excellence helps them get better athletes, it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next few seasons. 

Edinburgh are pretty poor and, IMO, in to high a tier. Definitely more deserving clubs for that lowland league space.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

I think the fact Stirling is a centre of sports excellence helps them get better athletes, it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next few seasons. 

Edinburgh are pretty poor and, IMO, in to high a tier. Definitely more deserving clubs for that lowland league space.

cheers but do you know if they can only play Uni students

Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, R9. said:

Yeah they can not one of the players have been signed from other clubs unless they were students and played elsewhere. They are all students.

There are no restrictions on who the Univs can sign to play in the pyramid leagues, although in practice they generally stick to their own students.

I know that HWU took a player on loan from Penicuik a couple of years ago, who was in their mid 30s and had no connection with the Uni. They thought his experience would help them.

Fxxx the SPFL
24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There are no restrictions on who the Univs can sign to play in the pyramid leagues, although in practice they generally stick to their own students.

I know that HWU took a player on loan from Penicuik a couple of years ago, who was in their mid 30s and had no connection with the Uni. They thought his experience would help them.

CHEERS FF

2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

That was quite a performance by Stirling Uni. in the Cup at Tannadice. I’m not sure what the mix was between students and other backgrounds, although they all looked pretty young to me.

Interesting midweek in other parts of the Pyramid too.

Tayside Jambo gave a good round-up of the state of play in the Highland League. It still looks likely to go down to a final day fixture between the top two, Buckie and Brechin, but another midweek 0-0 for Brechin last night really puts Buckie in the driving seat.
image.png.30527e1ab0378a570e7a602dd7945221.png

Meanwhile in the West of Scotland League, Darvel edged past Clydebank and the fixture backlog for Auchinleck mounts still further with their game at Glenafton waterlogged.

image.thumb.png.711f694d5d04cc934b8036731e8d411f.png

On 02/04/2023 at 08:32, Tommy Brown said:

Wed. UoS v Tranent 

Sat.  Tranent v Spartans

Sat. Rangers B v UoS

Spartans can secure the promotion berth now on Saturday if results go their way I think. Not quite the league title to boot but they'd be looking pretty for that too. 

Although personally think its all over bar the shouting and Spartans have the play off. Fair play to them. Been tremendous since December or so. Disappointed Tranent declined so much at the turn of the year. 

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Interesting midweek in other parts of the Pyramid too.

Tayside Jambo gave a good round-up of the state of play in the Highland League. It still looks likely to go down to a final day fixture between the top two, Buckie and Brechin, but another midweek 0-0 for Brechin last night really puts Buckie in the driving seat.
image.png.30527e1ab0378a570e7a602dd7945221.png

Meanwhile in the West of Scotland League, Darvel edged past Clydebank and the fixture backlog for Auchinleck mounts still further with their game at Glenafton waterlogged.

image.thumb.png.711f694d5d04cc934b8036731e8d411f.png

Bloody hell how are they going to finish Auchinleck's season 🤣

8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Bloody hell how are they going to finish Auchinleck's season 🤣

Auchinleck had played on Saturday, again on Monday and were due to play last night.

Just now, RobboM said:

Auchinleck had played on Saturday, again on Monday and were due to play last night.

Cheers. Thats an intense schedule. Be some achievement if they manage to get themselves right up there playing that. 

Footballfirst

There is an interesting name change in the offing for Rossvale in the WOSFL.

I don't think that Inverness CT will be too happy about it though.

Footballfirst

Beith won 2-1 away to Irvine Meadow tonight, restoring their 7 point lead over Darvel and extended their advantage to 20 points over Auchinleck, who have 6 games in hand. Beith and Darvel only have 6 games left.

Could be a key game on Monday night when Auchinleck hosts Beith although they have still to meet again at Bellsdale Park on 3rd May. Auchinleck also has to visit Darvel on the last day of the season (13 May).

davemclaren
On 06/04/2023 at 15:05, Footballfirst said:

There is an interesting name change in the offing for Rossvale in the WOSFL.

I don't think that Inverness CT will be too happy about it though.

Will they get approval for that name?

Unknown user
12 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Will they get approval for that name?

If we can have rangers and Berwick Rangers, they must have at least a decent case

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If we can have rangers and Berwick Rangers, they must have at least a decent case

I suppose.  We'll see. 😄

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Thought they might. 

Rossvale have put out a statement just to clarify the situation. They say that Rossvale are not changing their name, it's Rossvale who are changing their name and Rossvale will continue as Rossvale after Rossvale change their name to Caledonian Thistle

https://rossvalefcacademy.co.uk/club-statement/

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Rossvale have put out a statement just to clarify the situation. They say that Rossvale are not changing their name, it's Rossvale who are changing their name and Rossvale will continue as Rossvale after Rossvale change their name to Caledonian Thistle

Well that's clear as mud.

The club welcome the separation from the team and wish them well?

5 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Well that's clear as mud.

The club welcome the separation from the team and wish them well?

Apart from Caledonian Thistle being an ambiguous choice it leaves most folks scratching their heads. Who? Where? Why?
Seems to me they are missing an open goal when they could have chosen something like Springburn Loco or Lokomotiv Springburn. Now THAT's a football club name 🙂

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Apart from Caledonian Thistle being an ambiguous choice it leaves most folks scratching their heads. Who? Where? Why?
Seems to me they are missing an open goal when they could have chosen something like Springburn Loco or Lokomotiv Springburn. Now THAT's a football club name 🙂

We have a lot of that up here though, Spartans, St Mirren, Albion Rovers, even Hibs, Celtic, the rangers.

Footballfirst
20 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The Rossvale situation is similar to that of Broomhill/BSC/Open Goal, where the "senior" club has broken its ties with their grass roots Academy side, so one of clubs is duty bound to change its name. In both cases it is the senior side that has made the change. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The Rossvale situation is similar to that of Broomhill/BSC/Open Goal, where the "senior" club has broken its ties with their grass roots Academy side, so one of clubs is duty bound to change its name. In both cases it is the senior side that has made the change. 

Why do they do this?  once they break ties there is no reason for any of the academy clubs members to follow the breakaway club.  madness.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Swanyl said:

Why do they do this?  once they break ties there is no reason for any of the academy clubs members to follow the breakaway club.  madness.

Funding? Pathways? Committees at odds with one another?

Footballfirst

Spartans have secured a play-off place against the HL champions after their 1-0 win at Tranent coupled with Univ of Stirling's loss to Rangers B.

Good luck to them. They fully deserve it.

Footballfirst

The Lowland League with the B Teams results excluded.  Spartans would have clinched the title yesterday.

image.png.d06834f182161a3f60fc1ac39406be0e.png

Tommy Brown
On 08/04/2023 at 17:14, Footballfirst said:

Spartans have secured a play-off place against the HL champions after their 1-0 win at Tranent coupled with Univ of Stirling's loss to Rangers B.

Good luck to them. They fully deserve it.

Good if they secure the title outright too.

Chuck Berry
On 08/04/2023 at 14:23, Swanyl said:

The BSC Glasgow / Broomhill situation had a lot to do with no Broomhill SC players getting a chance with the senior side, and the senior side showing no signs of moving back to Glasgow.  I guess they considered the tie-in with the senior side as worthless and cut ties, and moved to set-up their own senior side instead.

Rossvale is probably not dissimilar, although their choice of new name is bizarre, and I'd be surprised if the SFA give it the green light.

John Findlay
On 08/04/2023 at 13:05, RobboM said:

Lifted from P&B but made me chuckle 🙂

Comedy genius.

Footballfirst

Beith 2-0 up at half time in their key game away to Auchinleck.  

Linlithgow fans will be delighted.

Auchinleck Talbot have 6 games in hand over Beith but I can't see them making up the gap. The West Premier is too competitive for them to take any of those games in hand for granted.

Mind you fixture schedules at this stage of the season don't come any more crowded than this for Sandhurst Town down south in the Combined Counties Div 1 😂

Footballfirst

Full time:

Auchinleck Talbot 1-2 Beith.

Beith now 23 points ahead of Talbot, who have 6 games in hand.  Beith also restore their 7 point lead over Darvel with both having 5 games left.

John Findlay
41 minutes ago, Locky said:

So Linlithgow Rose in the Lowland League next season, and hopefully Spartans in the SPFL. Lovely.

Last time Spartans had the play off for league status. Cove Rangers gave them a good going over.

42 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Last time Spartans had the play off for league status. Cove Rangers gave them a good going over.

Would be great to see a lower league Edinburgh rivalry one day. The kind of thing that might help both fanbases grow a little more.

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Would be great to see a lower league Edinburgh rivalry one day. The kind of thing that might help both fanbases grow a little more.

I sincerely hope Spartans do it. They deserve it. They are an excellent club.

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, Locky said:

So Linlithgow Rose in the Lowland League next season, and hopefully Spartans in the SPFL. Lovely.

I note from the P&B site that some posters have said that Creetown has met the licence criteria and will have it ratified at the SFA AGM.   If correct, that could mean a two legged playoff between the EOS and SOS champions if the WOS champion is unlicensed.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I note from the P&B site that some posters have said that Creetown has met the licence criteria and will have it ratified at the SFA AGM.   If correct, that could mean a two legged playoff between the EOS and SOS champions if the WOS champion is unlicensed.

Interesting. Although I'd imagine Rose would be too strong for them, but you never know.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You’re biased coz your laddie plays with them and you only live a stones throw away from Ainslie Park lol

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

You’re biased coz your laddie plays with them and you only live a stones throw away from Ainslie Park lol

Moi bias? Never lol

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hats off to them this season. They've been machines in the Lowland.