Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Interesting. Although I'd imagine Rose would be too strong for them, but you never know.

You’d certainly expect Rose to win. An interesting light on the SoS league is provided by Threave Rovers who transferred from that league (nominally Tier 6) after finishing runners-up last season to the lowest level of the West leagues (Tier 10). Threave have now clinched promotion from that league but only in third place out of 12. It’s not clear (to me anyway) what Threave’s logic was in making the move. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

You’d certainly expect Rose to win. An interesting light on the SoS league is provided by Threave Rovers who transferred from that league (nominally Tier 6) after finishing runners-up last season to the lowest level of the West leagues (Tier 10). Threave have now clinched promotion from that league but only in third place out of 12. It’s not clear (to me anyway) what Threave’s logic was in making the move. 

Niemi’s gloves
51 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Thanks for posting. An interesting piece which sort of suggests that the South of Scotland league is a dead end. The one thing they don’t mention is whether they hope to recruit more players from the central belt, which they’ll probably need to do if they want to get to the highest level of the West leagues. It will be interesting to see what Dalbeattie do, assuming  they go down from the LL. 

13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Makes sense in many ways tbh. Such is the unique landscape of the Scottish pyramid, I don't necessarily see such a move as a negative thing. The South of Scotland league existing at tier 6 is purely a symbolic thing really, but no clubs stands out as potentially moving up. The WoS brings in bigger crowds as they mention on that video and might help attract better players in time. I wouldn't be surprised if others move across. Although, I equally wouldn't be surprised if WoS clubs drop to the SoS if possible to try and fast-track success. Not sure what the criteria would be for such a move though.

Footballfirst

Beith edged closer to the WOS title without playing today.

Darvel drew 1-1 with Pollok while Auchinleck lost 2-1 at Clydebank. Beith need just 7 points from their remaining 5 games to secure the league title, although all three teams have still to play one another.

1 Beith Juniors Beith Juniors 25 19 3 3 66 28 38 60  
2 Darvel Darvel 26 17 3 6 65 34 31 54  
3 Pollok Pollok 28 13 6 9 54 36 18 45  
4 Clydebank Clydebank 23 13 0 10 48 35 13 39  
5 Irvine Meadow XI Irvine Meadow XI 26 12 3 11 41 45 -4 39  
6 Auchinleck Talbot Auchinleck Talbot 21 11 5 5 41 24 17 38

John Findlay

Spartans crowned Lowland League champions after beating Cowdenbeath 1-0 at Ainslie Park today.

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Spartans crowned Lowland League champions after beating Cowdenbeath 1-0 at Ainslie Park today.

I was there. It was right up there as just about the worst game of the season.

John Findlay
30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was there. It was right up there as just about the worst game of the season.

It was. But, Spartans won't care.

Brechin 4 points behind Buckie Thistle with game in hand. Brechin play Keith on Wednesday then away to Buckie Thistle Saturday 3pm.

Meantime Spartans preparing.

23 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Beith edged closer to the WOS title without playing today.

Darvel drew 1-1 with Pollok while Auchinleck lost 2-1 at Clydebank. Beith need just 7 points from their remaining 5 games to secure the league title, although all three teams have still to play one another.

1 Beith Juniors Beith Juniors 25 19 3 3 66 28 38 60  
2 Darvel Darvel 26 17 3 6 65 34 31 54  
3 Pollok Pollok 28 13 6 9 54 36 18 45  
4 Clydebank Clydebank 23 13 0 10 48 35 13 39  
5 Irvine Meadow XI Irvine Meadow XI 26 12 3 11 41 45 -4 39  
6 Auchinleck Talbot Auchinleck Talbot 21 11 5 5 41 24 17 38

Darvel manager obviously doesn't fancy their chances in their remaining games and has,this afternoon, resigned.

https://darvelfc.co.uk/2023/04/16/club-statement-michael-kennedy/

Edited by RobboM

Footballfirst
32 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Darvel manager obviously doesn't fancy their chances in their remaining games and has,this afternoon, resigned.

https://darvelfc.co.uk/2023/04/16/club-statement-michael-kennedy/

He's rumoured to be heading to East Kilbride, with Si Ferry from OGB joining him as a coach.

Edited by Footballfirst

Naisys Tackle

Scottish Lowland League clubs have voted in favour of accepting Premiership B teams into the division again next season.

Celtic and Rangers have been represented in the division since 2021, with Hearts entering their B team for the current campaign.

The league tweeted: "This vote comes following the Pyramid Review undertaken by the Scottish FA this season."

Spartans have won the division and will contest the SPFL's pyramid play-off.

They will take on the Highland League champions for a place in the League 2 play-off final, with the winner featuring in the fourth tier the following campaign. Buckie Thistle and Brechin City are the last two teams in contention for the Highland League title.

Celtic, Hearts and Rangers' B teams are not eligible for the pyramid play-off.

13 hours ago, RobboM said:

No details other than B teams back in the Lowland League next season

You wonder if they'll be actively looking for a 4th B team to round up the numbers and make it a 20 team league. Then again that would depend on promotion/relegation perhaps. If they were to request a 4th Colt team however, I wonder who (if any) would take that spot. Hibs would be the obvious choice but they seem quite content doing their own thing with friendlies vs foreign clubs, and I believe they were also quite vocal about bringing back a reserve league.

Who else would perhaps even fit the bill? Motherwell? Kilmarnock? St Mirren? Who knows. I recall when it was first discussed in the media about Colt teams joining the pyramid, Aberdeen had registered some interest in the idea. Now, of course they have no place in the LL and would have to play in the Highland League (good luck with that after they kyboshed an ICT B team a few years ago) but as B teams play in the LL as 'guest clubs', I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen could somehow buy their way into the LL. They seem corrupt as ****. Could imagine there'd be a lot of seethe if such an event were to occur, especially from Brechin City.

So many ifs and buts there, but interesting thoughts.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lowland-league-confirms-celtic-rangers-26719958

HARE

BY MARK HENDRY

21:48, 17 APR 2023

Rangers, Celtic and Hearts' B teams have been voted in

The Lowland League have this evening confirmed that Celtic, Hearts, Rangers and Aberdeen's B teams will be permitted in the division next season.

The clubs within the competition were asked to undertake a vote whether or not to allow the colt sides of the Premiership clubs to play, once again, in the Lowland League next term. And their social media accounts confirmed tonight that a decision had been made and the idea passed. It comes following a pyramid review from the SFA.

A short statement confirmed the news, reading: "We can confirm that members have voted in favour of including B teams for season 2023/24.

"This vote comes following the Pyramid Review undertaken by the Scottish FA this season."

It comes after a proposal was put forward suggesting a fifth tier conference league which would include the B teams albeit separate from the SPFL itself.

The plan suggested the conference division would have both Lowland League and Highland League clubs alongside the B teams to make up a ten-team division. The B teams would not be eligible for promotion to the SPFL.

Edited by HMFC01

Footballfirst

The vote was 10-5 in favour of admitting the B teams once again.  Dalbeattie apparently abstained given their almost certain relegation.

Four of the five no votes are believed to be East Stirlingshire, Caledonian Braves, Bo'ness United and Tranent.  The fifth is likely to be either Edinburgh University or Civil Service strollers who both voted no last time round.

Caledonian Braves is an interesting one as I understand that they votes yes last time. However, this time they put it to a vote to their members via an app.  I think that more clubs would have voted no if they had consulted with their fans.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The vote was 10-5 in favour of admitting the B teams once again.  Dalbeattie apparently abstained given their almost certain relegation.

Four of the five no votes are believed to be East Stirlingshire, Caledonian Braves, Bo'ness United and Tranent.  The fifth is likely to be either Edinburgh University or Civil Service strollers who both voted no last time round.

Caledonian Braves is an interesting one as I understand that they votes yes last time. However, this time they put it to a vote to their members via an app.  I think that more clubs would have voted no if they had consulted with their fans.

Is there no demand to determine league places only on matches not involving B teams.  It's not perfect but seems a bit fairer than the current arrangements?

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Is there no demand to determine league places only on matches not involving B teams.  It's not perfect but seems a bit fairer than the current arrangements?

If the B team games don't count then they are effectively only friendlies for the LL teams.
Conversely ALL the games matter for the LL teams but don't really matter to the B teams, eg when Rangers sent a team to a European youth tournament mid season and lost 3-0 to Berwick Rangers

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

If the B team games don't count then they are effectively only friendlies for the LL teams.
Conversely ALL the games matter for the LL teams but don't really matter to the B teams, eg when Rangers sent a team to a European youth tournament mid season and lost 3-0 to Berwick Rangers

Yeah, I suppose. 

So after Dalbeattie's 0-0 draw with our B team last night, they're now guaranteed to finish bottom. Edinburgh Uni are confirmed 2nd bottom. Relegation however hinges on a couple of outcomes. Going purely on my understanding of how it works:

If the LL gains a net club from the SPFL, for example Spartans don't go up and Bonnyrigg/Albion/Stranraer come down, then both Dalbeattie and Edinburgh Uni will be relegated to tier 6.

If the LL loses a net club to the SPFL, for example Spartans go up and Elgin are relegated to the Highland League, then both Dalbeattie and Edinburgh Uni will remain in the Lowland League next season.

If there is no net change, for example no relegation from the SPFL or Buckie/Brechin go up at Elgin's expense, then Dalbeattie will be relegated on their own.

This doesn't affect promotion to the LL from tier 6, although as things stand that will be Linlithgow Rose with no need for a playoff.

So in short, Dalbeattie need Spartans to bottle the playoffs, and the HL side to go up relegating a potential LL side for them to stay in the LL next season.

Speaking of Buckie and Brechin, things shaping up for an exciting title decider on Saturday afternoon. Buckie have a 4 point lead over Andy Kirk's men, but Brechin travel to Keith tonight for a potential title decider. 

Due to Brechin's comfortably better goal difference, they only require 4 points from the last 2 games in theory, but the only match they can actually afford to draw is tonight's game. A draw tonight and a win on Saturday would crown them champions. Although if they win tonight then they must win on Saturday regardless. Either way they need to win on Saturday.

Winner of the title plays Spartans at Ainslie Park next Saturday in the first leg. 2nd leg the following Saturday, followed by the 2-legged play off vs a League Two team.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

So after Dalbeattie's 0-0 draw with our B team last night, they're now guaranteed to finish bottom. Edinburgh Uni are confirmed 2nd bottom. Relegation however hinges on a couple of outcomes. Going purely on my understanding of how it works:

If the LL gains a net club from the SPFL, for example Spartans don't go up and Bonnyrigg/Albion/Stranraer come down, then both Dalbeattie and Edinburgh Uni will be relegated to tier 6.

If the LL loses a net club to the SPFL, for example Spartans go up and Elgin are relegated to the Highland League, then both Dalbeattie and Edinburgh Uni will remain in the Lowland League next season.

If there is no net change, for example no relegation from the SPFL or Buckie/Brechin go up at Elgin's expense, then Dalbeattie will be relegated on their own.

This doesn't affect promotion to the LL from tier 6, although as things stand that will be Linlithgow Rose with no need for a playoff.

So in short, Dalbeattie need Spartans to bottle the playoffs, and the HL side to go up relegating a potential LL side for them to stay in the LL next season.

Disregard that last paragraph. I knew I’d confuse myself.

Dalbeattie need Spartans to go up at the expense of Elgin to stay up.

Edinburgh Uni just need either Soartans to stay down, or if they do go up, hope its at the expense if Albion, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Disregard that last paragraph. I knew I’d confuse myself.

Dalbeattie need Spartans to go up at the expense of Elgin to stay up.

Edinburgh Uni just need either Soartans to stay down, or if they do go up, hope its at the expense if Albion, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg.

Locky you nearly had it then sliced it into your own net under pressure at the end 😉
As there will definitely be a club promoted from E/S/W AND the league finished with 16 teams (ignoring B teams) then the only option which send Edin Uni down is if Spartans DON'T go up AND a team geographically suitable for LL drops down.
Btw I have looked at this many times during the season and still have to double check!

image.png

Tommy Brown

Brechin 1-0 down to Keith at HT.

Could be Buckie's title tonight.

Come on Brechin.

Sorry to the haters, but always had a wee soft spot for them.

31 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Brechin 1-0 down to Keith at HT.

Could be Buckie's title tonight.

Come on Brechin.

Sorry to the haters, but always had a wee soft spot for them.

Brechin are 1-0 up 

5 hours ago, RobboM said:

Locky you nearly had it then sliced it into your own net under pressure at the end 😉
As there will definitely be a club promoted from E/S/W AND the league finished with 16 teams (ignoring B teams) then the only option which send Edin Uni down is if Spartans DON'T go up AND a team geographically suitable for LL drops down.
Btw I have looked at this many times during the season and still have to double check!

image.png

I’m slowly getting there :lol: 

Footballfirst

In the WOSFL, the title race remains alive as Beith surprisingly lost 0-4 at home to Troon.  Managerless Darvel didn't help themselves by losing 1-2 away to Rob Roy.  Auchinleck Talbot just about kept themselves in the race with a 2-0 home win against Arthurlie.

Beith now need six points from their remaining 4 games to guarantee the title, but have still to play both Darvel and Auchinleck.

Darvel has just 3 games left, but they too have to face rivals Beith and Auchinleck.

Auchinleck have still got 6 games to play, but all are away from home, including Beith and Darvel.

Footballfirst
On 08/04/2023 at 13:02, RobboM said:

Apart from Caledonian Thistle being an ambiguous choice it leaves most folks scratching their heads. Who? Where? Why?
Seems to me they are missing an open goal when they could have chosen something like Springburn Loco or Lokomotiv Springburn. Now THAT's a football club name 🙂

Seems that Rossvale has had a change of heart about their name change. Must be a few Locos on their committee/board.

On 23/04/2023 at 19:35, Footballfirst said:

In the WOSFL, the title race remains alive as Beith surprisingly lost 0-4 at home to Troon.  Managerless Darvel didn't help themselves by losing 1-2 away to Rob Roy.  Auchinleck Talbot just about kept themselves in the race with a 2-0 home win against Arthurlie.

Beith now need six points from their remaining 4 games to guarantee the title, but have still to play both Darvel and Auchinleck.

Darvel has just 3 games left, but they too have to face rivals Beith and Auchinleck.

Auchinleck have still got 6 games to play, but all are away from home, including Beith and Darvel.

Auchinleck lost again tonight. Can’t see beith losing the title now

Footballfirst

This week's "Official Catchup" podcast has a chat with the Lowland League chairman Thomas Brown.  It provides more background information about the "Conference League" for next season 24/25, B Teams and promotion/playoffs to the LL.  There is also confirmation that Creetown (if champions of the SOSFL - given that Abbey Vale is now top on goal difference) will take part in this season's playoffs. 

The 45 minute chat with Thomas starts at 30:08.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Creetown is no longer favourite for the SOS title as Abbey Vale won 9-2 tonight to go 3 points and 22 goals clear, although Creetown has a game in hand, with only 2 and 3 games left respectively.

Both sides have still to play Lochmaben and Stranraer, with Creetown's extra fixture against 3rd place Lochar Thistle.

If Abbey Vale wins the title then the SOS will not have a club in the playoffs for promotion to the LL.

Edited by Footballfirst

WheatfieldWarrior
On 25/04/2023 at 18:00, John Findlay said:

Screenshot_20230425-175549_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not if they're going to refer to it as 'the Burgh'  🤢

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Creetown is no longer favourite for the SOS title as Abbey Vale won 9-2 tonight to go 3 points and 22 goals clear, although Creetown has a game in hand, with only 2 and 3 games left respectively.

Both sides have still to play Lochmaben and Stranraer, with Creetown's extra fixture against 3rd place Lochar Thistle.

If Abbey Vale wins the title then the SOS will not have a club in the playoffs for promotion to the LL.

SOS won't have a team regardless as only 2 clubs have an SFA licence and are both nowhere near the title. I think it's St Cuthberts and Wigtown & Bladnoch who are only eligible, the latter of which are bottom of the league.

Threave did have an SFA licence I'm sure, but of course they opted to move to the WoS.

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Locky said:

SOS won't have a team regardless as only 2 clubs have an SFA licence and are both nowhere near the title. I think it's St Cuthberts and Wigtown & Bladnoch who are only eligible, the latter of which are bottom of the league.

Threave did have an SFA licence I'm sure, but of course they opted to move to the WoS.

In the podcast linked above the LL chairman said that Creetown has met the licensing criteria, but won't have their licence ratified until the SFA AGM (in June?).  They have therefore been given a waiver to compete in the playoffs next month, should they be SOS champions.  Bonnyrigg was in the same situation a few years ago, taking part in the playoffs just before their licence was confirmed.

The club licensing process requires that prospective clubs are assessed during the season by the SFA's Licensing Board, with clubs being advised of their compliance or otherwise around March. A recommendation from the Licensing Board is then put forward to the SFA Board to rubber stamp the award at their AGM.  In addition to Creetown, Glenafton Athletic has publicly stated that they too have met all the criteria and will be granted a licence at the AGM. There may be other clubs in a similar situation who haven't gone public. 

On 26/04/2023 at 09:52, Footballfirst said:

This week's "Official Catchup" podcast has a chat with the Lowland League chairman Thomas Brown.  It provides more background information about the "Conference League" for next season 24/25, B Teams and promotion/playoffs to the LL.  There is also confirmation that Creetown (if champions of the SOSFL - given that Abbey Vale is now top on goal difference) will take part in this season's playoffs. 

The 45 minute chat with Thomas starts at 30:08.

Thomas Brown said the B teams are a success and clubs are happy playing them. Pointed to increased exposure of league. Higher gates, publicly etc. So that's a more positive outlook now. Maybe other views exist with 5 clubs voting against. That vote is private. Argument seems to have been won. Said rules on first team appearances, ages etc is in the participation agreement. So all these rules stand. Confidential document not part of league rules. Participation fee of £20,000 each season. 

Conference league proposal - said Lowland League knew they couldn't stop this. Only option acceptable to SPFL was Conference. How it will work being discussed. Starts 2024/25 so clubs know what they are playing for at start of season. Play off will continue. Agreeing B teams next season was therefore obvious with Conference coming season after though B team vote every year is league rule. Lowland League board gave out all the information so any people saying they don't know need to talk to their own boards. Everyone has been involved and said its very open process. League 2 clubs want it next season to protect themselves. SFA want it 2024/25 and B team vote helps postpone conference a year. New SPFL licensing proposals pending as there is a review. 

Lowland League will bring proposals soon for additional promotion to backfill teams lost to conference. Conference proposed of 10 teams currently. 4 B teams, 2 Highland, 4 Lowland. Want automatic promotion to League 2 before opening up promotion/ relegation more widely. Confirmed Lowland League is only league with confirmed numbers at 16. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Niemi’s gloves
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Thomas Brown said the B teams are a success and clubs are happy playing them. Pointed to increased exposure of league. Higher gates, publicly etc. So that's a more positive outlook now. Maybe other views exist with 5 clubs voting against. That vote is private. Argument seems to have been won. Said rules on first team appearances, ages etc is in the participation agreement. So all these rules stand. Confidential document not part of league rules. Participation fee of £20,000 each season. 

Conference league proposal - said Lowland League knew they couldn't stop this. Only option acceptable to SPFL was Conference. How it will work being discussed. Starts 2024/25 so clubs know what they are playing for at start of season. Play off will continue. Agreeing B teams next season was therefore obvious with Conference coming season after though B team vote every year is league rule. Lowland League board gave out all the information so any people saying they don't know need to talk to their own boards. Everyone has been involved and said its very open process. League 2 clubs want it next season to protect themselves. SFA want it 2024/25 and B team vote helps postpone conference a year. New SPFL licensing proposals pending as there is a review. 

Lowland League will bring proposals soon for additional promotion to backfill teams lost to conference. Conference proposed of 10 teams currently. 4 B teams, 2 Highland, 4 Lowland. Want automatic promotion to League 2 before opening up promotion/ relegation more widely. Confirmed Lowland League is only league with confirmed numbers at 16. 

Thanks for this. I lost the will to live after about two or three minutes of the relevant bit of the interview with Thomas Brown (mainly due to the tedious podcast hosts). I thought the B team participation fee this year was more like £50,000 but maybe I got that wrong. Is it being reduced? 

On the 24/25 proposals, it seems to me that we will be under some pressure to finish in the top seven in the LL next season or risk a big fuss if some non-B team that aspires to play in the conference league finishes above us. Perhaps there is a risk that it would be resolved by inviting another premiership side (Hibs?) to join the new league along with Aberdeen and the OF. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

In the podcast linked above the LL chairman said that Creetown has met the licensing criteria, but won't have their licence ratified until the SFA AGM (in June?).  They have therefore been given a waiver to compete in the playoffs next month, should they be SOS champions.  Bonnyrigg was in the same situation a few years ago, taking part in the playoffs just before their licence was confirmed.

The club licensing process requires that prospective clubs are assessed during the season by the SFA's Licensing Board, with clubs being advised of their compliance or otherwise around March. A recommendation from the Licensing Board is then put forward to the SFA Board to rubber stamp the award at their AGM.  In addition to Creetown, Glenafton Athletic has publicly stated that they too have met all the criteria and will be granted a licence at the AGM. There may be other clubs in a similar situation who haven't gone public. 

Ah, didn't realise they were eligible FF. June sounds about right as I'm sure that's when they were lifting the application ban as such. Good luck to them. Would rather see Linlithgow Rose in the LL but good luck all the same.

Tommy Brown

Would be great to see Linlithow Rose get into Div 2.

Then West Lothian would have proper representation, rather than that Livi shower of interlopers.

This new conference league is a total joke. A hotch potch of pointlessness. Why on earth don't part time clubs want to regionalise leagues from the third level down? It makes perfect economic sense and will also see many clubs move up one or two levels in the league system. It could also accommodate B teams. 

53 minutes ago, R9. said:

I just think it’s another massive FAIL from the SFA or SPFL whatever they call themselves. It’s the biggest joke in world football the Scottish game.

And what if the B teams can’t go down ? So a 10 team league what if the B teams are all 7th to 10th but it was quite close at the top does that then mean 6th go down 😂 

Couldn't agree more. It's a ****ing shit show. A woeful idea. Dismal thinking, ****ing brainless. Sack the clueless ****ers who think this is the solution to ANYTHING in Scottish football.

LarrysRightFoot
55 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

This new conference league is a total joke. A hotch potch of pointlessness. Why on earth don't part time clubs want to regionalise leagues from the third level down? It makes perfect economic sense and will also see many clubs move up one or two levels in the league system. It could also accommodate B teams. 

I agree. Should have 2 ‘professional’ leagues of 16/18 teams with a regional pyramid below IMO. 

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I agree. Should have 2 ‘professional’ leagues of 16/18 teams with a regional pyramid below IMO. 

Spot on. Imagine turning round to the likes of Stranraer or Elgin and telling them they are immediately in the third tier with a decent shot at the second tier and they no longer need to trek to the other end of the country for a league match. Not to mention the likes of East Kilbride or Fraserburgh who could move two tiers up the pyramid. Why would any one of these teams reject this and why is nobody asking the question?