Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Chuck Berry
15 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Stranraer are standing on the trap door spot. Would think the Lowland League teams will be hoping they pull through on a pure selfish aspect.

Stranraer being around a 2 and half hour journey, four hours from Berwick. Times are in car without stopping :lol:

It's only one trip a season so no big deal really, although the novelty may wear off after the first trip down there.

An out of form Stranraer or Clyde who have almost turned it around, I think EK will rather face the former.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• davemclaren

• RobboM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

It's only one trip a season so no big deal really, although the novelty may wear off after the first trip down there.

An out of form Stranraer or Clyde who have almost turned it around, I think EK will rather face the former.

Glad that Bonnyrigg Rose have done enough to stay up. I think it's Stranraer heading for the playoff. 

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Glad that Bonnyrigg Rose have done enough to stay up. I think it's Stranraer heading for the playoff. 

Yeah good to see them survive and change of manager was justified. Clum will hopefully have them at the other end of the table next season.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Yeah good to see them survive and change of manager was justified. Clum will hopefully have them at the other end of the table next season.

It was a shame for Robbie but a change was really needed. 

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was a shame for Robbie but a change was really needed. 

He'll remain a legend there, but the time was right that he moved on otherwise there was a real risk they'd be in Stranraer's position just now.  They've now got their Bronze licence so they can kick on

Stanley_

I thought for a while that it might be Bonnyrigg heading for the playoffs (as Clyde have done much better recently). Just 1 win in their last 13 league games. Glad they have managed to stay up.

Footballfirst

Bo'ness Athletic secured a place in the qualifying round of next season's Scottish Cup following their wins over Drumchapel United and Nithsdale Wanderers in the cup winners shield.

Earlier this afternoon I watched Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts beat Dunbar United 2-1 in the final of the EoS Qualifying Cup at Newtongrange.  Dunbar probably started as favourites, but just didn't turn up in the first half which saw Swifts two up courtesy of two well executed goals. Dunbar improved a little in the second half and got a goal back from a penalty, but Swifts held on for a deserved victory. 

Footballfirst

Broxburn confirmed as EoS Champions after Musselburgh lost 3-2 away to Jeanfield Swifts. Ex Hearts youngster Greg Page pictured 2nd from the left in the top row.

Footballfirst

Beith closing in on the WoS title after beating Largs 1-0 tonight, while Auchinleck lost 3-2 to Hurlford.  Beith need 2 points from their last two games to wrap it up.

1 Beith Juniors Beith Juniors 28 17 6 5 70 38 32 57
2 Clydebank Clydebank 28 15 6 7 53 32 21 51
3 St Cadoc's St Cadoc's 27 14 6 7 57 40 17 48
4 Auchinleck Talbot Auchinleck Talbot 26 14 4 8 51 28 23 46

Footballfirst

In the SoS it's a showdown at Castle Cary Park on Saturday with Creetown hosting Dalbeattie in the final game of the season.  Dalbeattie just needs a draw, while Creetown needs a win to clinch the title.

# Team Pl HW HD HL AW AD AL W D L F A Diff Pts
1. Dalbeattie Star 21 9 1 1 8 1 1 17 2 2 91 21 70 53
2. Creetown 21 6 3 1 10 0 1 16 3 2 68 19 49 51

Chuck Berry

Looks like Broxburn will be new opponents for the B team next season.  Can't see them having too much bother with either of the SoS sides over 2 legs.

Newton51
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Beith closing in on the WoS title after beating Largs 1-0 tonight, while Auchinleck lost 3-2 to Hurlford.  Beith need 2 points from their last two games to wrap it up.

1 Beith Juniors Beith Juniors 28 17 6 5 70 38 32 57
2 Clydebank Clydebank 28 15 6 7 53 32 21 51
3 St Cadoc's St Cadoc's 27 14 6 7 57 40 17 48
4 Auchinleck Talbot Auchinleck Talbot 26 14 4 8 51 28 23 46

Beith another team without a licence and can’t be promoted 

Tonight's final SOS game finished Creetown 1-1 Dalbeattie, which means Dalbeattie are champions and will play Broxburn for a place in next season's Lowland League.

Took Ribble Jnr to his first ever live game of Football at the weekend, maintained a family tradition and took him to Arniston Rangers V Leith Athletic (my earliest memories of going to football were Arniston games with my Grandad), despite the game finishing 3-2 to Arniston due to an injury time winner the game itself was awful, not sure if it's a case of former junior sides struggling in the senior setup or what but honestly the standard of football on display was terrible, I honestly think that some of the amateur sides I played in would have taken 3 or 4 off either side fairly easily.

The Treasurer
42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

This shows to me that the pyramid structure is generally having a positive effect. 

IMG_4695.jpeg

While these figures aren't great, there is certainly an improvement from the 150-200 that the likes of Cowdenbeath or East Stirling were getting. 

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

While these figures aren't great, there is certainly an improvement from the 150-200 that the likes of Cowdenbeath or East Stirling were getting. 

The top 3 are 'new' clubs. 

55 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

This shows to me that the pyramid structure is generally having a positive effect. 

IMG_4695.jpeg

It would be nice to see some of these clubs average Four figures attendances.

33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It would be nice to see some of these clubs average Four figures attendances.

It would but we need to be realistic about what is possible in a small country at tier 4. 

Elgin have been mostly poor for the whole time they have been on the league but they get good crowds. When I lived up there 10 years ago 700/800 was known. If they got their act together they could be a 4 figure team.

Just now, Daveandal said:

Elgin have been mostly poor for the whole time they have been on the league but they get good crowds. When I lived up there 10 years ago 700/800 was known. If they got their act together they could be a 4 figure team.

Bonnyrigg have benn lower table as well. Would be interesting to see how crowds would be if they were at the other end of the table. 

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It would but we need to be realistic about what is possible in a small country at tier 4. 

I personally don't think averaging four figures is that to unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Not achieved 1 promotion in almost a quarter of a century since gaining entry to the SPFL.  I think its time for them to piss off back to the Highland League.  There are more ambitious clubs that could easily take their place.

Footballfirst

For comparison, here are the LL attendance figures.

Note that the averages of those with missing entries is artificially low, because the total is divided by 17, e.g. Bo'ness' average is actually over 400 if divided by 7 (the number of attendances available).

Edited by Footballfirst

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

For comparison, here are the LL attendance figures.

Note that the averages of those with missing entries is artificially low, because the total is divided by 17, e.g. Bo'ness' average is actually over 400 if divided by 7 (the number of attendances available).

So Berwick Rangers* and Linlithgow Rose are the two teams with already midtable SPFL League 2 support.

I would have thought East Kilbride would have had more tbh.

Got to hand it to the guys to head along to Civil Servive Strollers most games.

*good to see their crowds are OK after relegation.

Lowland League

Linlithgow Rose     560    
Berwick Rangers    425    
Bo'ness United    325    *
Tranent    316    
Cowdenbeath    289    
Albion Rovers    280    
East Kilbride    274    
Heart of Midlothian B    268    
Gala Fairydean Rovers    219    
East Stirlingshire    192    
Cumbernauld Colts    160