Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Albert McFly

Naismith will lead the team and is currently the highest paid U18s coach in British football until his playing contract ends 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dick Dastardly
8 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Rangers and Celtic used their participation to their advantage last season. There won’t be many other clubs able to do this as every pound is a prisoner. This is ideal for our academy and returning injured players. 

It's not really much use for returning injured players who have played more than 5 games though, is it? I don't want to sound negative as I'm all for us having a B team. My preference would have been no limit (or a higher limit) on first team games and maybe 3/4 over age players per game. It's still going to be a massive boost to improving our youth and attracting a better standard of youth, i would think

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Good result for the development of our young players - playing as a team and also available for selection for the firsts if injuries etc dictate.

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It's not really much use for returning injured players who have played more than 5 games though, is it? I don't want to sound negative as I'm all for us having a B team. My preference would have been no limit (or a higher limit) on first team games and maybe 3/4 over age players per game. It's still going to be a massive boost to improving our youth and attracting a better standard of youth, i would think

Yup it's not perfect but it's a HUGE step forward in terms of what we have been dealing with (ie nowt!).

My concern is the SPFL and SFA now conducting a review.  Will it piss all over the progress!?  I guess the good thing we have here is we for once want the same thing as the OF, so we can ride those coat tails.  And that doesn't feel dirty because it's just cause.  It's not like we're trying to shaft the rest of Scottish football.  If anything, we're trying to improve the setup.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Those pricks Maxwell and Doncaster getting in there saying how great this is.  Aye, no thanks to you ya pair of nomark pen pushers.  Seriously, this has happened because our club isn't willing to just sit there and rot like the SFA and SPFL would have us do, nothing to do with a "joined-up collaborative approach", or certainly not one you've harnessed Doncaster ya predatory looking bucket of dicks ye.

Anyway, that said, delighted with this!!! hahaha

My only question is: will the lads playing in this B team be eligible to play for our first team?  Or can they only move between the two during windows.  If it's the former, this is brilliant, if it's the second, I'm less keen in truth and would much, much rather have a reserve league.

Mind you the benefits of playing 36 competitive games next season will be amazing for our kids.  That obv includes 4 games against the OF equivalents which is great for them too.

Rangers had B team players playing against us in the last game of the season.

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup it's not perfect but it's a HUGE step forward in terms of what we have been dealing with (ie nowt!).

My concern is the SPFL and SFA now conducting a review.  Will it piss all over the progress!?  I guess the good thing we have here is we for once want the same thing as the OF, so we can ride those coat tails.  And that doesn't feel dirty because it's just cause.  It's not like we're trying to shaft the rest of Scottish football.  If anything, we're trying to improve the setup.

Exactly... I can't believe there aren't more Premier teams wanting B/reserve team football. Baffling.... as for the SFA/SPFL, they're just trying to look relevant as I get the feeling the whole 'B Team' thing is because the big 3  have pushed for it - or to put it another way - done the SPFL/SFA's job for them!

Dick Dastardly
28 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction. In one respect it'll be better than reserve football as we will be up against teams looking to win. The crowds will probably be better as well. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction. In one respect it'll be better than reserve football as we will be up against teams looking to win. The crowds will probably be better as well. 

Crowds is a very good point I hadn't considered.

A junior crowd where there are decent numbers but you can hear every insult(!) won't be the worst thing for hardening the lads.

edit: not sure I've phrased that overly well!!!

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

A junior crowd where there are decent numbers but you can hear every insult(!) won't be the worst thing for hardening the lads.

Also with crowds, when the World Cup is on, its something like 6 weeks when Hearts wont be playing, but I am sure the Lowland League will still be on so allows people to continue getting their Hearts fix, could make good crowds.

Fxxx the SPFL

That must've been awkward, I mean playing rugby on a bus is quite intrusive.

Great fun in the scrum 

Re the restriction of players that have played 5 first team games surely they should revisit this and change it to number of starts or accumulation of a certain number of first team minutes played so there are no examples like what’s has been highlighted above whereby a youngster who has managed to get the odd minute here and there suddenly gets to stage that either they no longer get first team minutes or stop getting regular B team games whilst not exactly being an A team regular.

Dick Dastardly
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, i would imagine getting a shower of abuse from some toothless, inbred from Dalbeattie would be a good way to get used to the abuse from toothless, inbred huns/tims/hobos etc. 

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Re the restriction of players that have played 5 first team games surely they should revisit this and change it to number of starts or accumulation of a certain number of first team minutes played so there are no examples like what’s has been highlighted above whereby a youngster who has managed to get the odd minute here and there suddenly gets to stage that either they no longer get first team minutes or stop getting regular B team games whilst not exactly being an A team regular.

Haven't seen anything that suggests that rule is still in place. It may be that after last season they are going to change some rules.

Dick Dastardly
17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Also with crowds, when the World Cup is on, its something like 6 weeks when Hearts wont be playing, but I am sure the Lowland League will still be on so allows people to continue getting their Hearts fix, could make good crowds.

That's a good point. It could be a win all round for our youth, whichever club we are playing and whichever pubs are close by. 

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, Albert McFly said:

Naismith will lead the team and is currently the highest paid U18s coach in British football until his playing contract ends 

Steven Naismith does not have a playing contract. He gave that up when he retired. 

9 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Has anyone mentioned where our home games might be?

Rosewell

Crowds are a bit of a mixed bag in the LL, and quite a few clubs don't really get many fans at all. Although, possibly still more than your average reserve match, especially when they were played on weekday afternoons. If interested, here's the average home attendances for LL clubs last season:

Bonnyrigg - 587
Rangers B - 829
Celtic B - 256
East Kilbride - 172
Spartans - 235
East Stirling - 155
Civil Service - 107
Berwick - 377
Caley Braves - 145
Stirling Uni - 101
Bo'ness United - 285
Dalbeattie - 196
Gala Fairydean - 169
Cumbernauld - 148
Broomhill - 89
Edinburgh Uni - 100
Grenta - 175
Vale of Leithen - 127

The league average will likely be higher next season with Tranent replacing VoL who will trump their attendances easily. Cowdenbeath won't manage Bonnyrigg's but probably still higher than most in that division. Rangers B much higher than Celtic but that was mainly down to them getting 9000 to Ibrox for the Colt derby. Not sure how many were at CP or why it was less, but it was considerably I believe.

Berwick, Bo'ness and Spartans getting decent crowds. Uni teams pretty poorly supported but guess that's to be expected. Broomhill will no doubt have an increase in fans next season with their Open Goal partnership.

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, Locky said:

Crowds are a bit of a mixed bag in the LL, and quite a few clubs don't really get many fans at all. Although, possibly still more than your average reserve match, especially when they were played on weekday afternoons. If interested, here's the average home attendances for LL clubs last season:

Bonnyrigg - 587
Rangers B - 829
Celtic B - 256
East Kilbride - 172
Spartans - 235
East Stirling - 155
Civil Service - 107
Berwick - 377
Caley Braves - 145
Stirling Uni - 101
Bo'ness United - 285
Dalbeattie - 196
Gala Fairydean - 169
Cumbernauld - 148
Broomhill - 89
Edinburgh Uni - 100
Grenta - 175
Vale of Leithen - 127

The league average will likely be higher next season with Tranent replacing VoL who will trump their attendances easily. Cowdenbeath won't manage Bonnyrigg's but probably still higher than most in that division. Rangers B much higher than Celtic but that was mainly down to them getting 9000 to Ibrox for the Colt derby. Not sure how many were at CP or why it was less, but it was considerably I believe.

Berwick, Bo'ness and Spartans getting decent crowds. Uni teams pretty poorly supported but guess that's to be expected. Broomhill will no doubt have an increase in fans next season with their Open Goal partnership.

Rangers average attendance, excluding the Celtic game at Ibrox, was 318.

31 minutes ago, Locky said:

Bonnyrigg - 587
Rangers B - 829
Celtic B - 256
East Kilbride - 172
Spartans - 235
East Stirling - 155
Civil Service - 107
Berwick - 377
Caley Braves - 145
Stirling Uni - 101
Bo'ness United - 285
Dalbeattie - 196
Gala Fairydean - 169
Cumbernauld - 148
Broomhill - 89
Edinburgh Uni - 100
Grenta - 175
Vale of Leithen - 127

Thanks for that.  I guess the numbers might be a bit skewed too in that they're averages.  The attendances at those grounds for the games involving the pro teams would be higher than the average you'd think.

Even playing in front of 200 folk though, thats a very different experience to playing under age football and not a bad thing.  And like I say perhaps even better than straight in front of 20k!  You'll learn to block out the noise if you can that's for sure.  All part of the development innit.  Score an OG and have 200 folk laughing at you and calling you shite, how ya going to react then kid?

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, systemx said:

What happened to Sporting Integrity lads?Oot the windae as soon as it suits us!

Out the window as soon as our attempts to get a response reserve league up and running are kicked to touch. 

3 minutes ago, systemx said:

Since we got hard nosed people like Andrew McKinley in.

People that have influence in the game. 

1 minute ago, systemx said:

I'm personally against colt/B Teams. But if that is the way football is going then we need to be involved.

The same would be if there was an Atlantic League. I'd be massively against it but if say 4 Scottish Teams were to be involved and there was a kind of promotion/relegation I'd reluctantly want Hearts as one of the 4.

No sporting integrity in the Lowland.

Protect themselves more than even the SPFL.

SFA are on their case now. Helped by experienced people like Andrew McKinley. 

Saint Jambo
44 minutes ago, systemx said:

It isn't great. But then potentially what we have managed to do is break the cosy stitch-up between the OF and Lowland League and force the SFA/SPFL to have a proper review of the pyramid structure and what to do about the lack of reserve league. So by next season we will hopefully be looking at a set-up with far more integrity than the current system.

Watt-Zeefuik
12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

It isn't great. But then potentially what we have managed to do is break the cosy stitch-up between the OF and Lowland League and force the SFA/SPFL to have a proper review of the pyramid structure and what to do about the lack of reserve league. So by next season we will hopefully be looking at a set-up with far more integrity than the current system.

Right. I'd rather we had a true reserve league but failing that this is probably the least worst option available.

At least the LL clubs have managed to use the available leverage to get pyramid reform. The freshness the promoted teams have brought to the SPFL really drives home how stale the lower leagues had become.

Who knows, maybe this rattling from below might eventually get us a bigger top flight. Who knows . . . but the SPFL should either be smaller or bigger. League 2 is plainly much closer to the HL and LL than it is to the Championship.

1 hour ago, systemx said:

In the name of sporting integrity, why don't we go for it? If its good enough for that lot in the weej, its good enough for us.

Ford Prentice
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Interesting that Celtic and Rangers said take all three clubs or none. If it's a cosy stitch up it's one they wanted us to be part of. Not sure what their motivation was - is it completely inconceivable that it was for the good of the game?

I take it this won't impact the u18s side and therefore is an addition?

Curious as to who will likely play for the B team and who will stay in the 18s team.

@Footballfirst are the likes of Stone, Logan who were loaned out eligible?

And do you think the likes of Watson and Denholm would come in or be loaned out again keeping spaces for Thomas, Tait, Kirk etc

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Curious as to who will likely play for the B team and who will stay in the 18s team.

And do you think the likes of Watson and Denholm would come in or be loaned out again keeping spaces for Thomas, Tait, Kirk etc

Players should be able to play for both U18s and B side. The only issue is that if the do the same as this season then U18s games will be on the Friday and B games are on the Saturday. I suspect we may see a younger U18 team play (though the U18 often fielded young teams this past season.)

I suspect a first choice team for the B team would be something like:

Stone

Logan Flatman Darge Watson

McGill Denholm Smith

Thomas        Kirk     Hambrook

Stone and Logan are eligible as loans this season wont count for next season.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Players should be able to play for both U18s and B side. The only issue is that if the do the same as this season then U18s games will be on the Friday and B games are on the Saturday. I suspect we may see a younger U18 team play (though the U18 often fielded young teams this past season.)

I suspect a first choice team for the B team would be something like:

Stone

Logan Flatman Darge Watson

McGill Denholm Smith

Thomas        Kirk     Hambrook

Stone and Logan are eligible as loans this season wont count for next season.

Cheers. Wonder if we would try and get them playing on loan at a higher level as Smith and McGill seemed to do well or manage their development through Hearts but at a lower level.

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

I don't know what the age regulations are for next season.  If it is the same as this season, then it would be U20, bar an U21 keeper and one U21 outfield player.

Stone, McGill, Smith and Logan are all already 20.

After that you are looking at Denholm, Darge and Watson. Those who are also too old for the U18s are Pollock, Gordon, McFarlane, Flatman, Kirk, Dall and Thomas.

Footballfirst

The U18s are likely to include

Paris, Rathie, Tait, Sandilands, Drysdale, Forrester, Hambrook, Nair, Smutek, Wilson, Plesiewicz, McLuckie, Ross, Gillies, Wilkie, Simpson(???) Stevenson(???)

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't know what the age regulations are for next season.  If it is the same as this season, then it would be U20, bar an U21 keeper and one U21 outfield player.

Stone, McGill, Smith and Logan are all already 20.

After that you are looking at Denholm, Darge and Watson. Those who are also too old for the U18s are Pollock, Gordon, McFarlane, Flatman, Kirk, Dall and Thomas.

Is there an age limit  the only restrictions I can see is seven must be able to play for Scotland .which is I think to stop b teams being full of foreign players

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Cheers. Wonder if we would try and get them playing on loan at a higher level as Smith and McGill seemed to do well or manage their development through Hearts but at a lower level.

It would be pointless to play Smith, Stone, Logan, McGill, Watson and even Pollock in the "B" team as they have already been playing at a higher level than Tier 5 (LL).

The best of your youth prospects should be playing in the SPFL Champ/L1/L2, not the LL

1 hour ago, Ford Prentice said:

Interesting that Celtic and Rangers said take all three clubs or none. If it's a cosy stitch up it's one they wanted us to be part of. Not sure what their motivation was - is it completely inconceivable that it was for the good of the game?

IMO it’s entirely motivated by greed generated through European football. It’s taken years to get the coefficient up to allow group stage European football. They know financially we can’t compete with them and are unlikely to sustain a league challenge, but what they do see is a strong 3rd team breaking from the pack and competing in Europe, which ultimately benefits them in terms of champs league football and that’s where they want to be every season. 

Edited by Rudy T

10 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

IMO it’s entirely motivated by greed generated through European football. It’s taken years to get the coefficient up to allow group stage European football. They know financially we can’t compete with them and are unlikely to sustain a league challenge, but what they do see is a strong 3rd team breaking from the pack and competing in Europe, which ultimately benefits them in terms of champs league football and that’s where they want to be every season. 

That's an interesting theory. If you look at Portugal no one, bar a freak season, will challenge the big 3 but Braga for example do well in Europe.. thus boosting the Portuguese coefficient and helping the Big 3.

It could be Celtic and Rangers are thinking the same. A strong, but not to strong, Hearts could help them.

It's also got me thinking about something Andrew McKinlay said at a FOH day. Paraphrasing obviously... that there will be changes in European football soon and we are a club have to be in a position to be involved....

4 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

That's an interesting theory. If you look at Portugal no one, bar a freak season, will challenge the big 3 but Braga for example do well in Europe.. thus boosting the Portuguese coefficient and helping the Big 3.

It could be Celtic and Rangers are thinking the same. A strong, but not to strong, Hearts could help them.

It's also got me thinking about something Andrew McKinlay said at a FOH day. Paraphrasing obviously... that there will be changes in European football soon and we are a club have to be in a position to be involved....

I certainly can’t think of any other reason why they’d want us in there. To take it a step further for as long as they’re qualifying for the CL groups and then potentially going into knock out stages of European competitions they’re relevant, making good money, attracting better players and can make a case for leaving Scotland, which is their ultimate goal. While they’re regarded as the massive fish in considerably small pond no other league really takes much notice of them.

I think having a B team in the lowland league is it? Imo whilst I can see why other teams would not think that's fair and all that, which I sort of agree with but from our own selfish point of view it will be really beneficial to us, should really help our youngsters develop physically and mentally, u18s is fine but when you are going to be playing men's football, the LL league will prepare them much better for that. Hopefully we now see better and quicker pathways to the first team.

johnking123
5 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I think having a B team in the lowland league is it? Imo whilst I can see why other teams would not think that's fair and all that, which I sort of agree with but from our own selfish point of view it will be really beneficial to us, should really help our youngsters develop physically and mentally, u18s is fine but when you are going to be playing men's football, the LL league will prepare them much better for that. Hopefully we now see better and quicker pathways to the first team.

Well it's team in the top leagues fault.  We want a reserve league ,but other teams want to penny pinch and keep money for there first team. Really just have to look after ourselves.

50 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Well it's team in the top leagues fault.  We want a reserve league ,but other teams want to penny pinch and keep money for there first team. Really just have to look after ourselves.

Completely agree. The clubs in this country has proved time and time again they can’t do things for the greater good. So until they do otherwise we should do what’s best for ourselves. 

jambo-rocker
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It would be pointless to play Smith, Stone, Logan, McGill, Watson and even Pollock in the "B" team as they have already been playing at a higher level than Tier 5 (LL).

The best of your youth prospects should be playing in the SPFL Champ/L1/L2, not the LL

If I've got it correctly, we can still loan up to 8 players? You'd imagine at the very least the players you mentioned will be playing on loan at the level you mentioned.

The good thing is most of u18s can step into the b team and even more u/1516s will fill the u18. Either way, a lot more young players will be getting challenged to step up and that can only be a good thing for us.

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Precisely this **** them we should not just fall in line to our detriment because they are looking after them selfs sadly that is the environment we are forced to operate in

fabienleclerq

The reality is this is likely to benefit the national team in the long run, these teams are amateurs and have their place but the boys in the B teams are who the SFA etc should be looking after. 

Teams in the lowland league having a deciding vote on what the professional teams do is scandalous as it is. If the actual pro teams think B teams are the way forward then they should go in at the appropriate level. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

The reality is this is likely to benefit the national team in the long run, these teams are amateurs and have their place but the boys in the B teams are who the SFA etc should be looking after. 

Teams in the lowland league having a deciding vote on what the professional teams do is scandalous as it is. If the actual pro teams think B teams are the way forward then they should go in at the appropriate level. 

What is an "appropriate level"?

If you deem clubs in the LL as "amateurs", then you should also assign the same label for one championship club, seven in L1 and all ten in L2. Part time football has its place in a pyramid structure in Scotland, just as it is in most other nations. 

If you wish to separate the full time clubs from the part time clubs, then fair enough. Let the 24 full time clubs together with any "B" teams run their own league for "professionals".

Dick Dastardly
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

You seem to be well versed and reapected in your knowledge of our youth so i don't want to sound like I'm contradicting you, but playing the above mentioned players in a B team would surely have some benefits, no? I would think that playing in a side run by Hearts, with other Hearts players, and playing the way we want them to play would be a massive benefit. Also with them being better than LL players it could help to create a winning mentality. It would also be easier to give them top level game time during the season. 

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You seem to be well versed and reapected in your knowledge of our youth so i don't want to sound like I'm contradicting you, but playing the above mentioned players in a B team would surely have some benefits, no? I would think that playing in a side run by Hearts, with other Hearts players, and playing the way we want them to play would be a massive benefit. Also with them being better than LL players it could help to create a winning mentality. It would also be easier to give them top level game time during the season. 

I agree that it would be better if we had all the squad playing together, but the problem is the level that they are allowed to play at.  Clubs in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 still are, for the most part, stronger than almost all LL, EOS Premier and WOS Premier clubs.

Connor Smith was POTY for Queen's Park as they won promotion to the Championship. Cammy Logan won promotion to League 1. They have to be playing at a higher level than the LL if they are to develop further.

I'd rather that we focussed the U18 side at the LL. It would be more valuable to them in development terms than playing Club Academy Scotland (CAS) football at U18.  There is no promotion to be had from the LL so their final position in the league is less important than early exposure to adult football.

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread