Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Based on what exactly?

He hasn’t shown anything yet that suggests he “looks the business”

Disagree. His contribution in the ayr game met with universal praise.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

I like Andy and want him to stay. That said this has all the hallmarks of a player running his contract down. We need to plan for next season and if Andy isn’t going to be part of it we need to move on quite soon.

Captain Canada

He has a lot of potential but is still well short of being a good midfielder. 

Being composed on the ball is a great quality to have but we need more from him defensively and going forward. 

As others have said, he slows the game down a lot, which is the opposite of the style of football Neilson said he wanted to play when the season started. 

I think he'd do well somewhere like France where the overall pace of play is a bit slower.

Personally, I'd like to see him left out for a few weeks because the balance in midfield is all wrong with him and Halliday there. I want to see what Haring and McEneff can do as a partnership. 

1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

He has a lot of potential but is still well short of being a good midfielder. 

Being composed on the ball is a great quality to have but we need more from him defensively and going forward. 

As others have said, he slows the game down a lot, which is the opposite of the style of football Neilson said he wanted to play when the season started. 

I think he'd do well somewhere like France where the overall pace of play is a bit slower.

Personally, I'd like to see him left out for a few weeks because the balance in midfield is all wrong with him and Halliday there. I want to see what Haring and McEneff can do as a partnership. 

Yeah, I think McEneff deserves a start now to see what he can do. Looks like he has bags of energy, so i'm optimistic. Like you say, with two left footers, the balance does seem a bit off. 

2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Based on what exactly?

passes the ball quickly and in front of players, instantly looks to move into space for a return pass, looks to turn and get forward, works to win the ball back when he does lose it, looks the business to me! Just hope he doesn’t get dragged down to the safe possession bollocks his teammates have had drilled into them.

Fort Vallance
On 17/02/2021 at 18:01, north wales jambo said:

Not trying to be confrontational here, but Irving can’t be the standard we’re looking for, yes he is young but for me he is one footed, little pace and can’t tackle. 

Too often it’s a sideways pass, we’re in the championship and the games I’ve seen he’s never took a game by the scruff of the neck and controlled the midfield.  

The standard we are playing against is poor, infact I’d say that none of the front 6 are going to get us anywhere but a bottom half premiership side. 

Not arguing with the content. But why is it always the left footed players that are classed as one footed ?

We need to plan for next season so I would be saying to him we need an answer by a set date can’t spend ages waiting on him and it’s all getting tedious 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Fort Vallance said:

Not arguing with the content. But why is it always the left footed players that are classed as one footed ?

It’s a religious thing.😳

Just kidding.

41 minutes ago, biffy said:

We need to plan for next season so I would be saying to him we need an answer by a set date can’t spend ages waiting on him and it’s all getting tedious 

Shades of Scott Severin about this.

Never Let Them Forget

I would give him 7 days to sign and if he doesn’t then reduce it to his current contract (make sure we get a development fee) and banish him to the reserves and never play him again. 

We need to set a precedent for the future that we will not be messed about regarding future transfers and not let our promising players go into the last 12 months if there contracts.

1 hour ago, Fort Vallance said:

Something to do with the gift of left-footedness.  Left-footers are either incredibly two footed (Hoddle/Hickey) or kinda swing their right leg like it is sleeping, if at all (Fulton, Tosh, Skacel) which often looks even worse due to their epic left foot.  Even when a left-footer is average on his weaker side he still looks awkward.

4 hours ago, Chaps said:

Based on what exactly?

Well he has to me, also to RN and others,your obviously not paying attention.

I think he must have another option on the cards as this is dragging out too long, which i find really hard to believe considering he is still extremely inconsistent, has a good game then looks below average for 2 or 3 imo. I'm gonna say it, i actually don't think we would miss him.

A_A wehatethehibs

7 hours ago, WageThief said:

Something to do with the gift of left-footedness.  Left-footers are either incredibly two footed (Hoddle/Hickey) or kinda swing their right leg like it is sleeping, if at all (Fulton, Tosh, Skacel) which often looks even worse due to their epic left foot.  Even when a left-footer is average on his weaker side he still looks awkward.

It’s actually a lot to do with perception, you notice it more with a lefty because it stands out from the crowd, a bad right foot looks exaggeratedly bad. But in reality, in most squads there’s several right footed players (especially inexperienced ones) that have equally as bad a left foot as Irving’s right, but nobody ever mentions “oh he’s got an absolutely dreadful left foot” as a criticism. They look like pub players if they have to use their left.

But Andys particular problem with being one footed is his position at CM. It’s all very well being one footed and playing on either flank or even up front or in defence, but if you’re at CM you absolutely have to be good on your weaker foot whether it’s the left or the right because you have to be able to get out of jail with it. 

Robbie saying will keep talking over next days and weeks, wants him here but thinks he still has a long way to go to become player he thinks he can.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s actually a lot to do with perception, you notice it more with a lefty because it stands out from the crowd, a bad right foot looks exaggeratedly bad. But in reality, in most squads there’s several right footed players (especially inexperienced ones) that have equally as bad a left foot as Irving’s right, but nobody ever mentions “oh he’s got an absolutely dreadful left foot” as a criticism. They look like pub players if they have to use their left.

But Andys particular problem with being one footed is his position at CM. It’s all very well being one footed and playing on either flank or even up front or in defence, but if you’re at CM you absolutely have to be good on your weaker foot whether it’s the left or the right because you have to be able to get out of jail with it. 

Agree with the left foot part sticking out part, don't agree it's more of a problem for midfielder tho-plenty midfielders are one footed. Fulton was extremely one footed. 

At the top end Zidane was very one footed and closer to him B Ferguson was one footed but stood out. 

Irving does make simple passes with his left foot as well, does it plenty of times. 

14 hours ago, Chaps said:

Based on what exactly?

More news for you."He has not trained since December,we re taking our time with him,don't want to

Rush him,he is a top player,we are delighted to have him" quote from RN.

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree with the left foot part sticking out part, don't agree it's more of a problem for midfielder tho-plenty midfielders are one footed. Fulton was extremely one footed. 

At the top end Zidane was very one footed and closer to him B Ferguson was one footed but stood out. 

Irving does make simple passes with his left foot as well, does it plenty of times. 

The most two footed player in football history. 🤣

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Can happen to anyone. I remember swinging my standing leg at the ball once and being more surprised than anyone else when my foot connected and the ball flew into the net.

59 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Zidane one footed :rofl: 

20 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I always thought Zidane was left footed - it wasn't until after he retired that I learned he wasn't lol; that's how good he was with it.

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Giggs, Scholes, Robert Pires, Steven Gerrard, Ronaldinho... can think of a fair few world class players I remember being fairly one footed. Zidane is up there with Messi / Ronaldo as, not one that i would’ve picked 😂 he has the best 2 footed close control of any footballer I’ve ever seen. A car crash of an example that one SRB

The Irving situation has dragged on too long. Sign or don't. If he wants to move elsewhere and sit on his arse for the next two or three years then let him. He'll be back playing for a Falkirk or Morton before he knows it, no skin of our nose. I remember watching John McGinn dominate in a poor St Mirren team where he stood out. He got a move to Hibs (unfortunately) and has went on to play in the Premiership. Irving is a tidy enough player but to me he doesn't dominate. He is very replaceable for the type of style Neilson prefers. I don't really get the clamour for him to sign. At this stage, he's a little bit over-rated but still young enough to get better. Maybe a move away from Hearts is what he wants and he's keeping the club dangling as a back-up when no-one else comes in for him. That's the impression i get anyway.

I don't watch anything like enough football anymore, especially as I've pretty much ignored the Premiership this season, but it's a shame the Scotland U21s don't appear to have a game till September to understand where is Andy is in Scot Gemmill's thinking.

This campaign Andy will be one of the senior 'age' players.

Last campaign he was up against Campbell, Ferguson, Turnbull, McCrorie, Magennis, McAllister, Maguire who will be too old this campaign.

Still in age group for next campaign include Gilmour, Fiorini (Man City, Breda) Smith (Hamilton), Campbell (Aberdeen), Kelly ( Ross County, Rangers) McInroy (Dunfermline) and no doubt a plethora of Celtuc, Rangers reserves in the current U19 squad.

Edited by DETTY29

27 minutes ago, jambonian said:

The Irving situation has dragged on too long. Sign or don't. If he wants to move elsewhere and sit on his arse for the next two or three years then let him. He'll be back playing for a Falkirk or Morton before he knows it, no skin of our nose. I remember watching John McGinn dominate in a poor St Mirren team where he stood out. He got a move to Hibs (unfortunately) and has went on to play in the Premiership. Irving is a tidy enough player but to me he doesn't dominate. He is very replaceable for the type of style Neilson prefers. I don't really get the clamour for him to sign. At this stage, he's a little bit over-rated but still young enough to get better. Maybe a move away from Hearts is what he wants and he's keeping the club dangling as a back-up when no-one else comes in for him. That's the impression i get anyway.

This is exactly where I am at with this.  Irving has had the odd excellent game where he has either chipped in with a goal or a killer pass. In most games I have watched though he has been pretty average and there are aspects of his game that really need worked on by the coaches. 

He needs to be up front with the club now. If he’s looking elsewhere, then good luck to him, but he’s got to realise  that he might not figure too much in the side from now on. The leagues not won yet and we need players on the park who are fully focused on the task at hand. 

12 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nonsense.

If Irving was right footed, no one would be citing one-footedness.  That's fact.

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Nonsense.

If Irving was right footed, no one would be citing one-footedness.  That's fact.

Footiscm is a terrible thing.

Left footers matter. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

I thought he was left footed, mind playing tricks?

Plenty top class players are one footed tho. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I always thought Zidane was left footed - it wasn't until after he retired that I learned he wasn't lol; that's how good he was with it.

Is that right? 

Ooft, I thought he was left footed as well. 

14 hours ago, Boris said:

Shades of Scott Severin about this.

Agreed. Always got the feeling Severin was listening too much to his agent who was promising him a move to a bigger team which didn’t materialise.

Agree with others that it’s gone on a little too far now and is taking the focus off the performances on the park.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I genuinely Thought he was left footed! 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I genuinely Thought he was left footed! 

:lol:that's his weekest foot. Unreal eh. Paolo Maldini was similar (strongest was his right) as was Pavel Nedved (his left was his strongest) , both ambidextrous. 

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yeah that's a fair point.  I did say that two footed lefties still look awkward on their right which might well be down to the fact that most people are right-footed.

There is probably a similar thing explaining the gifted left-foot which I made a reference to.  Often a reference is made to the left-foot of Fulton or Skacel, when it isn't made for the right of Cameron or Hartley.  You pretty much need to be Beckham for people to mention your right boot.  Weirdly he looked very awkward on his left.  Obviously someone will post a video of him scoring a 30 yard volley on his left.....

iwasthere1954

I don't know the rules on compensation for players brought through the academy. Maybe he wants us to withdraw the contract offer perhaps meaning he would get that money as a signing on fee. I really don't know. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Is that right? 

Ooft, I thought he was left footed as well. 

Aye, mental eh. Just shows how good he actually was! 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

:lol:that's his weekest foot. Unreal eh. Paolo Maldini was similar (strongest was his right) as was Pavel Nedved (his left was his strongest) , both ambidextrous. 

Yip, unreal. 

I remember Maldini being a right footed left  sided player. 

Nedved I also remember. 

Zidane I thought was left footed. 🙄

portobellojambo1

I do think that because of the limitations we have in midfield a lot of pressure and expectation is placed on Irving to succeed. In those games where he doesn't I think it maybe becomes more obvious as there is/was no other option to cover for him/help out. The new Irish signing may prove to be beneficial to both him and the team. If the opposition know there are two players in midfield rather than one that they have to blank out/hope plays poorly it means they have to change how they plan on playing against us. From Irving's point of view, and his agents, I hope they are aware that he is nowhere near the finished article yet, and still has a lot of learning to do. They may both appreciate, hopefully, that he will get more chances to learn where he is presently rather than going to another team for nothing more than money.

5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I do think that because of the limitations we have in midfield a lot of pressure and expectation is placed on Irving to succeed. In those games where he doesn't I think it maybe becomes more obvious as there is/was no other option to cover for him/help out. The new Irish signing may prove to be beneficial to both him and the team. If the opposition know there are two players in midfield rather than one that they have to blank out/hope plays poorly it means they have to change how they plan on playing against us. From Irving's point of view, and his agents, I hope they are aware that he is nowhere near the finished article yet, and still has a lot of learning to do. They may both appreciate, hopefully, that he will get more chances to learn where he is presently rather than going to another team for nothing more than money.

Your last paragraph PJ is crucial in this. Does the lad think he can improve with our coaching management. Maybe he needs a freshness other ideas for his game. Let’s be honest Neilson gets ripped by many on here,  so why have a pop at a young player who may feel his next move is massive in his career.

wattie exploited

would rather have him in the team before Halliday  any day of the week even if has been poor the ;last two games :rifle:

Just now, Jambo4050 said:

Robbie I’m not saying he’s the finished article but he needs to play ahead of Halliday. 

Suspect his contact situation is influencing things.

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Suspect his contact situation is influencing things.

Suspect that only having one foot wouldn't have benefitted us tonight at all

A_A wehatethehibs

Irving is a bit overrated, he’s inconsistent and when he has a bad game he tends to just keep making mistakes and can’t get himself out the rut and playing simpler. But thats just where he’s at in this early part of his career, if it happens, sub him off. 

However, I’d be starting him and Mceneff next game. Think we need to see a more youthful energy and hunger now as we appear to be coasting. Think they will link up better. Halliday just slows everything down and is dreadful all round, 2nd touch is often a tackle.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

If hes not staying I would rather we played other players. Quite like Irving and hope he stays, but wont lose sleep if he goes. Dont see him playing at a better club than Hearts.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )