Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

3 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

I think his head’s been turned. No coincidence that his form has dipped rapidly since he rejected the contract offer. His body language and demeanour has changed as well.  He looks like a guy who doesn’t feel valued.  Probably thinks McEneff has been brought in to replace him as he’s been subbed off for him two weeks on the bounce.  He’s doing the work of two

midfielders as his partner has been on a jolly for months now.  

It does unsettle players. However, while I’d like to keep him there’s an element to this period where he’s become overrated by many. 

He’s at that crossroads age where he could stagnate but also blossom into what we hope. I don’t know if he’s got a little bit carried away in his own head with this contract saga? He’s hardly had a prolonged period of outstanding form which would make you think he can play somewhere significantly better than Hearts?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

A_A wehatethehibs
41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's possible he's just been offered a better deal elsewhere. Whether he is or isn't good enough for us or them is kind of irrelevant. If he can make more money and/or join a club where he thinks he can develop more he'd be mad not to take.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if he does as I don't think he's up to much.

There's a lot of scope for me to improve and progress up the organisation at my work. I'm not currently at that level and maybe never will be. I'd still take a pay rise and the offer of help to reach those levels from another company if they came in and offered it. It wouldn't make me suddenly think I'm too good for my current employer.

Id be pretty sure that the overall contract value would probably be about the same, £250k ish. That’s around his transfer market value right now if he was sold. So that adds up to £1200 a week over 4 years. 

If he leaves it will be a primarily football decision, and the wrong one in my opinion. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

I’m a fan of Irving but his reaction to getting rightly subbed suggests he is developing a Billy big boots attitude!

SectionDJambo

I like Irving, but he’s got some way to go to be thinking that he’s ready for a higher standard of football. He’d be better signing for another 2 years with Hearts, and see how he can improve his game when up against better players after we get promoted. He may then be ready for a step up. 

He definitely has to do something about his total dependency on his left foot. There’s been many a story of much better players than him practicing in their own time to overcome deficiencies, or just improve technique. Maybe he does this, but there’s no sign of his reluctance to use his right foot, for even a short pass, going away. It’s a big flaw in his game.
If he goes abroad it might suit him, but he might also become a forgotten man. Maybe he sees what Hickey has done and fancies the same. We can’t blame his agent. He should be able to make up his own mind what he wants to do. The agent then negotiates the best deal he can get him.

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Doesn't have a right foot......AT ALL

This makes him awkwardly shift his body and so at times a simple right foot pass forward turns into a left foot pass back.

No doubt with his left he finds a pass but the fact he doesnt even have a right foot to make a 10yrd pass will stop him progressing.

How he doesnt work on this is beyond me i mean my 8 year old practises with both feet.

Even worse than him not practising, he has come through our much vaunted Academy. How has he been allowed to progress through the age bands without this being identified and worked on by our coaches. That still does not excuse him for not at least righting it now.!

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Irving needs to make up his mind where he wants to be pretty quickly. Just now I’m seeing a player who shuffles about not doing very much but now and again producing something exciting. Now and again is not what we need.  

Spot on.

I like Andy.  That was one real disaster of a performance last night though.

All the talk about contracts, etc. is clearly getting to him.

He couldn't kick an arse last night.

Time to sign the contract Andy and get the monkey off your back

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

Maybe he doesn’t fancy the coaching and tactics on offer.

Well the wonder coach stendel dropped him for the last 2 games after the Hamilton 2-2 debacle so, not sure the coaching really comes into it much. 

56 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Id be pretty sure that the overall contract value would probably be about the same, £250k ish. That’s around his transfer market value right now if he was sold. So that adds up to £1200 a week over 4 years. 

If he leaves it will be a primarily football decision, and the wrong one in my opinion. 

I'd be shocked if he moves and doesn't get more money on the back of it. His transfer market value right now is £0 and that will be reflected in his offer from another a club.

I don't personally think he's developed a huge amount (hence why I'm ambivalent to whether he stays or goes) and I can't think of many players recently who've got better during their time with us, so if he goes for purely footballing reasons (which I doubt) then fair play to him.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Are we seeing another agent screw up a lads development in his (the agents) rush for financial gain? 

yup, lad needs to take his head out of the clouds and focus on the game. I like him as a player and think he has good potential, unfortunately he clearly feels he is so much better. If he really wanted to be here he'd have pushed for this to be sorted already, as it stands it looks awfully like we are being strung along. I fear that this particular ship has sailed.

As a team I do feel we need to change the demographics of the squad and skew it more towards youth and development, guess this is a good example of why that isn't always easy. Paying pensions to washed up journeymen isn't a plan either even if it does make managements life easier.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'd be shocked if he moves and doesn't get more money on the back of it. His transfer market value right now is £0 and that will be reflected in his offer from another a club.

I don't personally think he's developed a huge amount (hence why I'm ambivalent to whether he stays or goes) and I can't think of many players recently who've got better during their time with us, so if he goes for purely footballing reasons (which I doubt) then fair play to him.

It might be a bit more, but it’s not going to be a lot more. If he was sitting on a 5k a week contract offer that blew Hearts out the water, his departure would already have been announced. So whatever his options are, the fact that he is spending time mulling it over and talks are ongoing, suggests the difference is fairly negligible. 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It might be a bit more, but it’s not going to be a lot more. If he was sitting on a 5k a week contract offer that blew Hearts out the water, his departure would already have been announced. So whatever his options are, the fact that he is spending time mulling it over and talks are ongoing, suggests the difference is fairly negligible. 

Whatever the team after him think he'll be valued at on a decent length contract will probably lump a decent amount of that into his salary on top of what they were willing to pay him, which may result in a pretty lucrative contract if their standard salary is similar to ours.

Why hasn't he gone already?

Possibly because he wants to stay at Hearts but they're not willing to match whatever he's been offered. Could be he has on offer for considerably more money but would join a development squad and he'd rather first team football but would like Hearts to bridge the salary gap a bit. Maybe he's been offered the chance to join a team in a country he's always fancied living in for similar money but would stay if Hearts offered more money. Who knows?There's all sorts of things for him to weigh up, I'm just meaning to say there's plenty of good reasons for him to leave beyond thinking he's too good for us/Billy big baws which has been mentioned a lot over the last few pages.

We're fans so we always think staying at Hearts is a good idea. He's possibly swayed by that a bit too despite potentially having a better offer on the table from elsewhere. Objectively, Hearts aren't a team I'd be looking to join if I was a footballer who didn't support them unless it was for money, so even £100 a week more somewhere else would probably see me join them instead.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whatever the team after him think he'll be valued at on a decent length contract will probably lump a decent amount of that into his salary on top of what they were willing to pay him, which may result in a pretty lucrative contract if their standard salary is similar to ours.

Possibly because he wants to stay at Hearts but they're not willing to match whatever he's been offered. Could be he has on offer for considerably more money but would join a development squad and he'd rather first team football but would like Hearts to bridge the salary gap a bit. Maybe he's been offered the chance to join a team in a country he's always fancied living in for similar money but would stay if Hearts offered more money. Who knows?There's all sorts of things for him to weigh up, I'm just meaning to say there's plenty of good reasons for him to leave beyond thinking he's too good for us/Billy big baws which has been mentioned a lot over the last few pages.

We're fans so we always think staying at Hearts is a good idea. He's possibly swayed by that a bit too despite potentially having a better offer on the table from elsewhere. Objectively, Hearts aren't a team I'd be looking to join if I was a footballer who didn't support them unless it was for money, so even £100 a week more somewhere else would probably see me join them instead.

I think you’re overrating how much more money he’ll get somewhere compared to Hearts. His potential transfer price is the big thing that goes into deciding what salary he gets at age 20, wherever he is (if it’s a normal club not a club with money to burn). But I honestly don’t care anyway. I question if I’d even have offered him an extension tbh. 2 new starting Center mids and 2 new starting Center halves would be at the heart of all my plans next season if I were the manager. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

As it stands...

If his agent is doing right by him he should be telling him to sign the contract today.

Hearts should be taking it off the table or reducing the terms.

Bournemouth will never sign him.

If we have aspirations of getting back to the top 4 then he's a squad player, nothing more.

14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think you’re overrating how much more money he’ll get somewhere compared to Hearts. His potential transfer price is the big thing that goes into deciding what salary he gets at age 20, wherever he is (if it’s a normal club not a club with money to burn). But I honestly don’t care anyway. I question if I’d even have offered him an extension tbh. 2 new starting Center mids and 2 new starting Center halves would be at the heart of all my plans next season if I were the manager. 

Agreed on that for sure 👍

48 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Irving was absolutely hopeless last night,embarrassingly bad.

Yes he had a poor game last night . Normally he plays well .

Some of the stuff on here , just because of last nights performance , is downright embarrassing but not exactly unexpected

alwaysthereinspirit

Still no news then. After watching last night I’d say he’d get eaten alive right now no matter which league or country he may end up in. Right now Hearts can protect him and bring him through at their pace. No other team will. If he thinks that then he’s doomed. Signing for Hearts is the correct move. 3/4 years, if he comes on leaps and bounds then he’ll get a move and for even more money if that’s his goal. As of now, he’s one footed, can’t hustle back(slow), can’t tackle, lightweight and doesn’t score enough goals. He pings the odd 40 yard pass but they’re few and far between. That won’t sell him. Good luck on whatever decision he makes. But Hearts should not be breaking the bank for this one.

Irving and Halliday both need dropped and Haring and McEnuff should start. 

What's the point of having Haring on the bench when he never gets used even when we are playing absolute shit. 

He was terrible at Dundee but he can't be any worse than those two last night. 

Takeshi kovac

Andy has a lot of potential but wether he ever realises the potential is another question. The last few games he has been anonymous and he hasn't really improved that much in the last year. He has shown flashes of skill here and there but at this level he really should be bossing games and dictating the play. I like the boy and hope he stays and improves but if he does leave then I reckon big Joe can replace him.

A few nice passes and free kicks. Replaceable. My argument is our academy   we lost out on. Patterson etc. Jeez hibs sign a player for under 500k then refuse 3m.  So we're doing something wrong. Seems the only money going into the club is from the fans and the millionaire guy 

15 minutes ago, Psychicjambo said:

A few nice passes and free kicks. Replaceable. My argument is our academy   we lost out on. Patterson etc. Jeez hibs sign a player for under 500k then refuse 3m.  So we're doing something wrong. Seems the only money going into the club is from the fans and the millionaire guy 

Forget the academy. 

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Irving and Halliday both need dropped and Haring and McEnuff should start. 

What's the point of having Haring on the bench when he never gets used even when we are playing absolute shit. 

He was terrible at Dundee but he can't be any worse than those two last night. 

This has to happen next weekend 

I will be raging if the team is announced next week and Irving and Haliday both start 

Edited by theshed

5 hours ago, Deevers said:

Irving needs to make up his mind where he wants to be pretty quickly. Just now I’m seeing a player who shuffles about not doing very much but now and again producing something exciting. Now and again is not what we need.  

Believe his mind is made up. Won’t be here next season and as a result probably won’t play many more games this season. 

I kept away from this thread for a long time until recently. The other day i said that i asked myself that when watching him, does he dominate a midfield? To me he doesn't. That's not to say he can't, but to be honest, if he's going away then drop him. I have watched other midfielders at other clubs stand out these last few years but i can't say the same for Irving. He has his moments, don't get me wrong but i can't see him progress any further at Hearts. As i said, midfielders are ten-a-penny and replaceable. It all kind of reminds me of when Jason Holt decided he wanted out. Irving, a potentially good player still has a lot to learn but i won't be that bothered if he did leave. There won't be the big hoo-haa of outrage if he goes i don't think.

Edited by jambonian

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well the wonder coach stendel dropped him for the last 2 games after the Hamilton 2-2 debacle so, not sure the coaching really comes into it much. 

Didn’t start in any of Stendels last four games in charge. Only started 1/6 of games when McPhee was in charge. Robbie has given him a platform this season which he isn’t taking advantage of. Suggests that Levein might be the only coach that really thinks he has potential. 

37 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Believe his mind is made up. Won’t be here next season and as a result probably won’t play many more games this season. 

If that’s the case then fair enough. Don’t want to see any more of him if last nights insipid performance was anything to go by. Personally I think he should be giving himself another season with us to see how he progresses in the top league.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the amount of times he took a first touch and the ball ended up yards away from him last night was shocking.

I just don't see it with Irving, maybe I know nothing about football as some have said regarding Irving being a player. 

I hope whatever deal he has been offered is taken off the table.

2 hours ago, john thomas said:

Some of the stuff on here , just because of last nights performance , is downright embarrassing but not exactly unexpected

Played okay in games we've dominated against lower level teams. 

Bigging up Andy Irving is the same as the way Jordan McGhee was going to make Hearts millions. How did that work out? 

He was woeful last night and should have been sent off for an idiotic foul. 

This might be a bit of reaction to all those saying he is the best midfielder in Scotland. 

Now if people were mostly patient then fair enough. But if Robbie Neilson wants to confirm promotion he needs to change that midfield and be more direct. Which is McEneff and Halliday. 

And I would say if he doesn't sign he shouldn't play again. It won't be long till we are back playing better teams and we have a lot of work to do to be ready. 

3 hours ago, john thomas said:

Spot on.  Is there any player anywhere who doesn't have a bad game occasionally?

Irving was poor last night, but so were 7 or 8 others on the team.  To give up on one of our young players so quickly is ridiculous.

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, Psychicjambo said:

I don't believe for a minute any club offered 3 million. Hibs would have snapped that immediately. Also he doesn't look a 3 million player

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Played okay in games we've dominated against lower level teams. 

Bigging up Andy Irving is the same as the way Jordan McGhee was going to make Hearts millions. How did that work out? 

He was woeful last night and should have been sent off for an idiotic foul. 

This might be a bit of reaction to all those saying he is the best midfielder in Scotland. 

Now if people were mostly patient then fair enough. But if Robbie Neilson wants to confirm promotion he needs to change that midfield and be more direct. Which is McEneff and Halliday. 

And I would say if he doesn't sign he shouldn't play again. It won't be long till we are back playing better teams and we have a lot of work to do to be ready. 

You say all that and then say you want Halliday in the team . Almost like you had some kind of agenda ?

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

I kept away from this thread for a long time until recently. The other day i said that i asked myself that when watching him, does he dominate a midfield? To me he doesn't. That's not to say he can't, but to be honest, if he's going away then drop him. I have watched other midfielders at other clubs stand out these last few years but i can't say the same for Irving. He has his moments, don't get me wrong but i can't see him progress any further at Hearts. As i said, midfielders are ten-a-penny and replaceable. It all kind of reminds me of when Jason Holt decided he wanted out. Irving, a potentially good player still has a lot to learn but i won't be that bothered if he did leave. There won't be the big hoo-haa of outrage if he goes i don't think.

Last night and against Ayr he slowed down everything. He lost the ball or passed badly. If he has all the time in the world he can make good passes or crosses. However, he is not helping the team at present. His agent as usual is not helping. He must realise now that he will not play for a bigger club than Hearts at this stage of his career and should either sign or say goodbye so we can move on. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So Irving is shite now?

:62:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. He had a poor game last night. No doubt about that. He’s got potential, but he’s far from being the finished article. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So Irving is shite now?

To summarise, everything and everyone are shite, always have been and always will be.   :icon14:   🍻

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So Irving is shite now?

No need to be over-dramatic! He had a poor game last night with most of the others. From what i've read, he's got the  potential but he's stalling (for whatever reason) on a new contract, which he's entitled to do. That's not helping the club and what folk are saying (in a roundabout way) is the uncertainty could be affecting his game but, if he does go, he can be replaced. Nothing to do with being shite.

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

If that’s the case then fair enough. Don’t want to see any more of him if last nights insipid performance was anything to go by. Personally I think he should be giving himself another season with us to see how he progresses in the top league.

Think the view is take the bigger money move now rather than risking it. 

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Maybe he just wants to play somewhere else 

https://dcsport.net/?lang=en

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dc-international-sports-management-gmbh/beraterfirma/berater/3993

looks like the agency has four agents. Andy is the 5th most valuable 'asset' they have on their books and one of the few not plying their trade in Germany. Not so many players on their books so a lot of mouths for so few players to feed.

If I was a betting man I'd suggest he'll be a lower league player in Germany next season. Either way getting bored with this.

51 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. He had a poor game last night. No doubt about that. He’s got potential, but he’s far from being the finished article. 

Really ?

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

So Irving is shite now?

No but he has nothing but potential and any contract offer will reflect that. If he is holding a gun to our heads then he will no doubt move away and disappear in a year or 2.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No but he has nothing but potential and any contract offer will reflect that. If he is holding a gun to our heads then he will no doubt move away and disappear in a year or 2.

I agree. 

Said from the start a young lad with good potential and a decent player for us atm. 

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Spot on.  Is there any player anywhere who doesn't have a bad game occasionally?

Irving was poor last night, but so were 7 or 8 others on the team.  To give up on one of our young players so quickly is ridiculous.

Support the players. Never criticise them. 

I can get behind that. 

Loads of people said Irving is brilliant. There was someone made a fair point about options to pass to last night. But if he is so brilliant why was he not leading Hearts to a victory last night. We had control of the game early on. So why was he not dominating the ball? Robbie Neilson's fault? 

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

Said from the start a young lad with good potential and a decent player for us atm. 

Players need to deliver in games. 

2 hours ago, john thomas said:

You say all that and then say you want Halliday in the team . Almost like you had some kind of agenda ?

Yes I have an agenda. 

I support Hearts and everyone with them. Including Irving. But we can't have passengers. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Players need to deliver in games. 

They do, and he does at times. 

Good player to have, one that adds value to the team and may become better. 

Not irreplaceable tho and certainly not a player to build our top flight hops around, yet. 

I agree with you also that Halliday is by far our most effective and consistent midfielder atm. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )