Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Really ?

No. I’ve seen folk questioning whether he’s as good as he thinks he is. Folk questioning his commitment here. Not seen anyone one saying that he is actually shite.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Support the players. Never criticise them. 

I can get behind that. 

Loads of people said Irving is brilliant. There was someone made a fair point about options to pass to last night. But if he is so brilliant why was he not leading Hearts to a victory last night. We had control of the game early on. So why was he not dominating the ball? Robbie Neilson's fault? 

I'm not going to defend a claim that Irving is brilliant, because I've never made that claim.  What I have said, and still say, is that Irving is one of our most promising young players and that we should be making every attempt to keep him at Tynecastle.

With regard to last night, as my Dad used to say, "You can't put an old head on young shoulders."  He was on the field in a team of older, more experienced players, many of them internationalists.  It's too much to expect, in my opinion, that he should be the one leading us to victory.

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm not going to defend a claim that Irving is brilliant, because I've never made that claim.  What I have said, and still say, is that Irving is one of our most promising young players and that we should be making every attempt to keep him at Tynecastle.

With regard to last night, as my Dad used to say, "You can't put an old head on young shoulders."  He was on the field in a team of older, more experienced players, many of them internationalists.  It's too much to expect, in my opinion, that he should be the one leading us to victory.

Promising young players need time away from the first team. And we have options to do that. 

Be interesting what Robbie does. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Promising young players need time away from the first team. And we have options to do that. 

Be interesting what Robbie does. 

:thumb:

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe he just wants to play somewhere else 

Can't think of any club bigger than Hearts that would sign him. 

Unless he's happy to chase the cash in English League one. 

It's up to him of course. 

If he's not signing he can sit in the stand. His last couple of performances indicate his mind is elsewhere. 

I think there may be a really good player in him but too often this season he has looked poor, I find the really slow play mind numbing and he seems to be the one controlling this monotony.

I appreciate Cochrane is out of favor but as a comparison, his energy, drive, forward momentum, Irving could do with a wee bit of that.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

Said from the start a young lad with good potential and a decent player for us atm. 

He could well find himself on the bench vs Morton after that display. 

So could a few others, of course but AI couldn't have any complaints. 

Last night was exactly the reason he should resign and stick in there.

He's become a marked man and will learn a massive amount playing in a team that relies on him to perform. 

If his character is not there to succeed we'll see it in the next few weeks. Interesting to see how he reacts.

wattie exploited
6 hours ago, Deevers said:

No. I’ve seen folk questioning whether he’s as good as he thinks he is. Folk questioning his commitment here. Not seen anyone one saying that he is actually shite.

he isnt shite  but the last two games he has been poor but then again the whole team have been poor the last 2 game:rifle:s

Maroonblood22

Friday's game showed as good an example as any of comparing players' attitude and desire.

Irving was playing the safe, lazy pass back to the centre half's at almost every opportunity and standing still as soon as the ball had left him as if 'job done'. Compare that to McEneff, who as soon as he came on was playing forward passes and making darting runs as soon as he had made the pass to try to receive a return ball or drive up the field.

Football can really be a simple game and the difference between Irving's and McEneff's desire to make an impact on the game was clear for all to see.

2 hours ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Friday's game showed as good an example as any of comparing players' attitude and desire.

Irving was playing the safe, lazy pass back to the centre half's at almost every opportunity and standing still as soon as the ball had left him as if 'job done'. Compare that to McEneff, who as soon as he came on was playing forward passes and making darting runs as soon as he had made the pass to try to receive a return ball or drive up the field.

Football can really be a simple game and the difference between Irving's and McEneff's desire to make an impact on the game was clear for all to see.

That's the one huge difference between them - McEneff looks to give and go. Irving gives and goes nowhere. It hasn't come off yet for McEneff but I'm pretty sure it will in time.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's the one huge difference between them - McEneff looks to give and go. Irving gives and goes nowhere. It hasn't come off yet for McEneff but I'm pretty sure it will in time.

Looking forward to seeing this guy over 90 minutes. He looks full of energy and running. That’s exactly what we have been missing from a pretty static midfield. 

Just now, Deevers said:

Looking forward to seeing this guy over 90 minutes. He looks full of energy and running. That’s exactly what we have been missing from a pretty static midfield. 

I'm the same. Couple tough games for him to come into - horrific conditions at Ayr then chasing the game at QoS. Really hope he gets the start at home v Morton.

Seymour M Hersh
18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

So Irving is shite now?

:62:

Shite? No but is he all that? I'd suggest no. 

Where would you rate him alongside the likes of (and it pains me to write this but) a young Brownie or Armstrong, McGinn, Gilmore or McGregor when they were breaking through?  I just see Irving as a decent to good SPFL midfielder but not nearly as good as the others I mentioned. 

I'm now going to have to go and shower in very hot water and detergent! :lol:

13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We should drop him for Damour again 

Some will laugh but is this guy fit cause if he is I’d give him a start to see what he can do as surely can’t be any worse than what we have seen last couple of weeks 

We have McEneff for a reason and with Irving in his last two games being more negitive in his play then Aarron should get a start now which will send the message out to him to up his attitude/play, in the past two games Irving has been subbed and we could all see why and in both games McEneff was his replacement and in only 5 minutes on the park at Ayr we could see the positive difference

wattie exploited
21 hours ago, Deevers said:

he is definitely not shite  just his last two games have been a bit poor by his standards am sure he will be better next game if he starts as McEneff  might get a start before him :rifle:

On 13/02/2021 at 18:50, Mikey1874 said:

Yes I have an agenda. 

I support Hearts and everyone with them. Including Irving. But we can't have passengers. 

Yet you have a pop at Irving but appear to support Halliday . You think he , an experienced pro , had a better game than Irving ?

On 13/02/2021 at 19:07, Deevers said:

Read the thread

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, Maroon 1874 said:

We have McEneff for a reason and with Irving in his last two games being more negitive in his play then Aarron should get a start now which will send the message out to him to up his attitude/play, in the past two games Irving has been subbed and we could all see why and in both games McEneff was his replacement and in only 5 minutes on the park at Ayr we could see the positive difference

I like Irving but I would really like to see Haring and McEnuff play together. Irving is a rare type of player in Scotland who looks up and takes his time, trying to play the best pass he can. Hope he stays but I can totally understand why he might think other leagues that aren't so kick and rush might suit him better.

On the other hand this could be the perfect place to develop a knack for creating space and learning to trust his ability in tight situations that could then really make him stand out in a less frenetic league.

11 hours ago, theshed said:

Some will laugh but is this guy fit cause if he is I’d give him a start to see what he can do as surely can’t be any worse than what we have seen last couple of weeks 

He really is. 

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like Irving but I would really like to see Haring and McEnuff play together. Irving is a rare type of player in Scotland who looks up and takes his time, trying to play the best pass he can. Hope he stays but I can totally understand why he might think other leagues that aren't so kick and rush might suit him better.

On the other hand this could be the perfect place to develop a knack for creating space and learning to trust his ability in tight situations that could then really make him stand out in a less frenetic league.

Worth trying. We don't need playing as much possession football in this league. 

11 hours ago, theshed said:

He hasn't played a game all season so it's unlikely he will be match fit. Haring isn't getting a start apparetnly because he is not showing the right attitude in training so I hardly imagine Damour will be bursting a gut to impress.

My biggest criticism is that he doesn't seem to see a forward pass/cross often enough when it's there.  Far too quick to turn back with ball and pass square or more often back.

When he plays the ball back more often than not, he's not moving enough.  A step here and there is not passing and moving.

He still has a long way to go if he's really going to make it. 

Give haring the same run in team that Halliday has had and you are guaranteed to get better results.

neilson has never gave him a fair chance. 
halliday is pants ( soiled smelly y fronts at that)   and it’s been there for all to see !!!!

rather than persevere with him when he can’t get any better.

get haring in and give him games who could improve massively with a run of games 

irving needs someone a lot better than Halliday beside him in the holding role to let him play as his defensive side is still poor 

4 hours ago, Barney bulge said:

Give haring the same run in team that Halliday has had and you are guaranteed to get better results.

neilson has never gave him a fair chance. 
halliday is pants ( soiled smelly y fronts at that)   and it’s been there for all to see !!!!

rather than persevere with him when he can’t get any better.

get haring in and give him games who could improve massively with a run of games 

irving needs someone a lot better than Halliday beside him in the holding role to let him play as his defensive side is still poor 

An interesting point!

How good do we expect a 20 year-old to be when he has older, more experienced players around him who are playing poorly?

Irving not yet at the stage in his career where he can boss, control the midfield area.

That might come with a bit more experience. However for the laddie to become top notch he MUST find some extra pace.

He's getting game time.....but it's obvious that he slows the team down more than any other midfielder in the team.....

The trainers at the Oriam have got to try and find him somehow an extra yard. 

17 hours ago, john thomas said:

Read the thread

I have. The odd one or two blowing it out of their arse, but most of the comments are considered and to the point. He’s not the finished article, he’s got a bit to learn and he was poor on Friday, he needs to decide what he wants.  That seems to be the considered view of most.

39 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Irving not yet at the stage in his career where he can boss, control the midfield area.

That might come with a bit more experience. However for the laddie to become top notch he MUST find some extra pace.

He's getting game time.....but it's obvious that he slows the team down more than any other midfielder in the team.....

What utter bollocks.

42 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

It’s not even pace, I think?  It’s a state of mind. Think quicker, move yourself quicker in the sense of being sharper. 

That could apply to one or two others.  

I’m bored saying it now across various threads in recent weeks, but in small doses you saw a sharper, more purposeful Irving under Stendel.

Encouraged to bomb forward and get into telling areas much earlier. I remember v Aberdeen he was superb in a 1-1 draw, Meshino scored a cracker.  

3 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

With one pass he injects more forward momentum than any other player in the team, and he does that about a dozen times every game.

Jambof3tornado
13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

With one pass he injects more forward momentum than any other player in the team, and he does that about a dozen times every game.

Like F he does. Go rewatch the last 6 games. Once in a blue moon he puts in a good forward pass but the rest of the time it's sideways or backwards. He is too safe at times and I'll say it again his inability to try even a simple pass with his wrong foot causes issues.

He has potential. That's all.

Cochrane had potential too.

21 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Like F he does. Go rewatch the last 6 games. Once in a blue moon he puts in a good forward pass but the rest of the time it's sideways or backwards. He is too safe at times and I'll say it again his inability to try even a simple pass with his wrong foot causes issues.

More a Barry Ferguson than a Jim Bett.

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He's definitely capable of creating an attack from deep with one pass. We don't really have anyone else like that. McEnuff looks more of a carry the ball and burst forward Cameron or John McGinn type. Irving and McEnuff could complement each other well, although I'd like to see Haring and McEnuff, or maybe all 3 could be a decent central 3.

On 14/02/2021 at 02:17, Maroonblood22 said:

Let's not forget that McEneff is 25 years old, has played in the Spurs organisation, and is a ROI internationalist.  Irving is 20 years old, has played only for Hearts, and is not an internationalist.

In other words, McEneff is older and more experienced.  I'd also guess (and I stress that it is a guess), McEneff is being paid much, much more than Irving, so we should expect more from him.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Let's not forget that McEneff is 25 years old, has played in the Spurs organisation, and is a ROI internationalist.  Irving is 20 years old, has played only for Hearts, and is not an internationalist.

In other words, McEneff is older and more experienced.  I'd also guess (and I stress that it is a guess), McEneff is being paid much, much more than Irving, so we should expect more from him.

They also seem very different types of player so it's hard to compare. Style wise (obviously not quality wise), Irving seems more of a Jordan Henderson, wanting to spray passes, and McEneff looks more of an all-action John McGinn. I think they'd complement each other as Cameron and Fulton did. Add in Haring in the Salvatori role....

On 13/02/2021 at 19:07, Deevers said:

Ok several posters were extremely uncomplimentary without actually using the word shite

Better ?

12 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Do you know what you need to be able to pass forward? Someone to pass forward to.

Watch again.

9 hours ago, john thomas said:

Ok several posters were extremely uncomplimentary without actually using the word shite

Better ?

Good. Got it right at last.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Do you know what you need to be able to pass forward? Someone to pass forward to.

Watch again.

Yep. I see Irving get the ball, look up, see very little options so he has to go sideways.

It doesn't help that we are usally playing in the final third against a packed defence so he can't really play a ball over the back four because there simply is not enough room. I imagine this is why Robbie wants Boyce to come deep so it creates space behind him, and also why we try to play from the back, in an attempt to draw the opposition out and create space...but teams are simply not falling for it as much as we would like.

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep. I see Irving get the ball, look up, see very little options so he has to go sideways.

It doesn't help that we are usally playing in the final third against a packed defence so he can't really play a ball over the back four because there simply is not enough room. I imagine this is why Robbie wants Boyce to come deep so it creates space behind him, and also why we try to play from the back, in an attempt to draw the opposition out and create space...but teams are simply not falling for it as much as we would like.

So when Boyce drops deep who goes in behind him to the space he created?

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

That’s the problem -  no one.

4 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That’s the problem -  no one.

This.

I am a big critic of Robbie but i do symapthise with him to an extent because he is faced with teams parking the bus and we do not really have the quality to break them down.

My criticism of him is that i do not believe buying an procession of wingers is the answer to this because it is very rare for any player to have the ability to beat 2 men and get crosses in on a regular basis, even at this level. I would rather we focussed on our central midfield being more dynamic and our full backs being braver.

As much as i like Smith, i wonder if we could afford to convert a more attacking player into being a wing back.

willie wallace
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yea,it looks pretty much like that almost every game.

It would help if the other attacking players would get up the park a bit quicker.

Boyce is so isolated at times it's ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Yea,it looks pretty much like that almost every game.

It would help if the other attacking players would get up the park a bit quicker.

Boyce is so isolated at times it's ridiculous.

Seems like Walker/ the wingers should be looking to run beyond him when he does drop deep. 

Its really depressing to watch because you can tell the attack is going to amount to nothing since there's no one far enough up the pitch to even get a shot off. 

Be half tempted to give Boyce the armband to give him a bit more authority on the pitch to get roaring at folk not making runs. He's a quality player being let down massively by the other attacking options. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )