Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

Has Andy's agent checked his junk mail folder? Has Savage worked out how to unmute himself on Zoom? If we believe everyone who claims to be 100% in their facts, these seem like the only options.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

37 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

:spoton:

I know/knew a couple of agents and what he has said is just bunkum, they get money both ways move or stay, but it will be the players choice totally.

55 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

For what it's worth, I reserve most of my incredulity for the many posters who cannot see what Andy brings to the team, who think he only passes sideways and backwards and/or would not be overly fussed if he left.

There’s a debate to be had about how far Irving has come since being ordinary (at best) in the top league last season. I judge Irving on his 40 odd 1st team games to date in which he has ranged from anonymous, to ordinary, and on a few occasions, outstanding There’s still a debate to be had about whether he can hold his own in the top league and make a difference, because he most definitely didn’t the last time he was there.

I think he has improved. I think he’s definitely a keeper if we can. I think he is potentially very valuable to us. But right now he is mostly potential and an unknown quantity for next season and if he’s not here, finding someone else for his position can and will be done fairly easily.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I’m still getting over Cammy Fraser leaving, to be fair. 

Wait till you find out what happened to Willie Wallace. You'll never believe it.

Bazzas right boot

Hope Andy signs, but if not get replacements lined up and give guys that want to be here a game. 

Turning into a  transfer "saga", only a matter of time before someone else "swoops" in. 

Contract situations being drawn out are dull as ****. 

Get it signed or move on. 

brunstanejambo
36 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

For what it's worth, I reserve most of my incredulity for the many posters who cannot see what Andy brings to the team, who think he only passes sideways and backwards and/or would not be overly fussed if he left.

This. 

5 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

The thread is peak kickback. 

And this. 

Irving is a quality player and the club should try and keep him. And I'm sure they are trying, but from my perspective it looks like they are not trying very hard. Or should I say, have not tried very hard up until now. I try not to take too much notice of what is reported in the papers (it is usually a load of rubbish), or what is said on here (an even bigger load of rubbish), but what I can see is that we have a 20yr old youth system graduate / 1st team starter that only has 5 months left on his contract. How the hell did that happen??? 

I said a few months ago on another thread - give him a 4 year deal and look to sell him after 2-3 years to got a decent return on the investment. 

He's quite clearly an asset in more ways than one:

Holds down a place in the team, best passer of a ball we've had in ages, best we have in dead ball situations, etc. 

However, more importantly to a club like us - if he keeps developing at the current rate, he'll be bossing the midfield for us as a top 3-4 SPL team in 2-3years time with 100 first team appearances to his name which makes him worth millions to the club. (McGinn to Aston Villa as an example) 

Looking forward to now being told that I am talking out of my backside

2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Where did he 'desert' to? Dundee? Why?

Was a strange one. Mainly because we were skint and some supporters hated him iirc. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was a strange one. Mainly because we were skint and some supporters hated him iirc. 

Yeah, right at the time of near bankruptcy. Surely he was one of our better players yet still got it in the neck!

Did well overall re trophies: 1987 league with Rangers, 2 league cups, First Div with Hearts, Dundee. 

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hope Andy signs, but if not get replacements lined up and give guys that want to be here a game. 

Turning into a  transfer "saga", only a matter of time before someone else "swoops" in. 

Contract situations being drawn out are dull as ****. 

Get it signed or move on. 

I'm getting a little frustrated by it, like you say, you never want things to turn into a saga. Its frustrating for all as it suggests that both parties at least started pretty far apart in expectations, which is disappointing. Hopefully a deal can be struck and is maybe just final details which are being argued over (% of transfer fees, length of contract etc.). Andy will in all likelihood be a mainstay in the team going forward, and that is something he's not getting anywhere else. He's just turned 20 and will be playing regular top flight football next year. Its a valuable aspect to his contract which shouldn't be undervalued. 

In true JKB style though we've descended into extremes and its either, AI is the next Pirlo vs he doesn't offer enough. My perspective is that its a test to our commitment to youth and as a point of principle we owe it to the academy to do our utmost to ensure Irving remains a Hearts player for at least the next 2 years by securing a deal no less than 3 years to protect the clubs investment in him. 

May have actually be you that mentioned this (many threads ago, so paraphrasing) but when you have a player that has such undoubted potential, its frustrating to see the club stuttering to get a deal done. Irving looks to be in the same bracket as CP, JW, SN in terms of quality (as Hickey had a freakily high level of talent which we will struggle to see often IMO), so we'd be well served to make sure the deal gets done. He looks to be physically robust, his talent is clear to see and he is improving game by game. Its as safe a gamble as we're likely to see with a young player. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'd have a guess he is away and doesn't fancy taking the flak, nor would I.

Hearts can't win in this one, not whilst some folk are desperate to see one side of the story. 

Suspect he would have signed by now if his mind was set on it

20 minutes ago, brunstanejambo said:

This. 

And this. 

Irving is a quality player and the club should try and keep him. And I'm sure they are trying, but from my perspective it looks like they are not trying very hard. Or should I say, have not tried very hard up until now. I try not to take too much notice of what is reported in the papers (it is usually a load of rubbish), or what is said on here (an even bigger load of rubbish), but what I can see is that we have a 20yr old youth system graduate / 1st team starter that only has 5 months left on his contract. How the hell did that happen??? 

I said a few months ago on another thread - give him a 4 year deal and look to sell him after 2-3 years to got a decent return on the investment. 

He's quite clearly an asset in more ways than one:

Holds down a place in the team, best passer of a ball we've had in ages, best we have in dead ball situations, etc. 

However, more importantly to a club like us - if he keeps developing at the current rate, he'll be bossing the midfield for us as a top 3-4 SPL team in 2-3years time with 100 first team appearances to his name which makes him worth millions to the club. (McGinn to Aston Villa as an example) 

Looking forward to now being told that I am talking out of my backside

The boy was offered and signed a 3 year deal. Club needed to act half way through that with a further 4 year contract or 3 at least. 

If officials at the club could not see his potential half way through his initial contract or have some iffy concept of risk and reward then its disappointing. Add the fact we have pursued and recruited a hardly believable stream of journey men, our focus has been on the projects and revival of careers

Edited by Riccarton3

4 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

And just to update, Joe Savage has this morning contacted Irving's agents wanting to discuss. This is what should have happened rather than stuff being put out into the papers for the last couple of weeks that was untrue and that paints Irving in a bad light. The club allowing this to happen to a more than decent lad is just not right. All contract negotiations should have remained private and only one party has behaved professionally and correctly in this.

it takes two hands to clap, this kind of Mexican standoff makes all involved look weak. I'm sure he'll have an idea of what he is worth in his mind, given how long this has been stalled for I'm sure he'll also be in a position where he has tentative offers to back this up. Whether they'll still be there in the summer who knows but it's time to get round the table and make a decision. I like the player a lot and really want to see the club focus on developing our own rather than ponying up for washed up journeymen but I'm also not a fan of seeing players who have done hee haw holding clubs to ransom. I'm sure he is a decent lad but I'd also be pretty sure that his agent has sharp elbows, no virtue in hiding behind him and playing the victim card, he hired him after all.

Update from Robbie which confirms buzzbomb talking shite:

“We put an offer to Andy again and we're waiting for a response on it,” the Hearts manager Robbie Neilson told the Evening News. “Joe spoke to them again the other day and we are waiting to hear their thoughts on it.

“We want to try and get this done as quick as we can but ultimately it's in the hands of the agent at the moment.

“That's what happens in football: We go, they go, we go back, they go back, and eventually you get there. We are just waiting to hear back now. We've chased it again because it's been quiet but we want it done.”

So Savage did check back in with Irving’s agent last Thursday but only to chase a response on the 2nd contract offer.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I'm getting a little frustrated by it, like you say, you never want things to turn into a saga. Its frustrating for all as it suggests that both parties at least started pretty far apart in expectations, which is disappointing. Hopefully a deal can be struck and is maybe just final details which are being argued over (% of transfer fees, length of contract etc.). Andy will in all likelihood be a mainstay in the team going forward, and that is something he's not getting anywhere else. He's just turned 20 and will be playing regular top flight football next year. Its a valuable aspect to his contract which shouldn't be undervalued. 

In true JKB style though we've descended into extremes and its either, AI is the next Pirlo vs he doesn't offer enough. My perspective is that its a test to our commitment to youth and as a point of principle we owe it to the academy to do our utmost to ensure Irving remains a Hearts player for at least the next 2 years by securing a deal no less than 3 years to protect the clubs investment in him. 

May have actually be you that mentioned this (many threads ago, so paraphrasing) but when you have a player that has such undoubted potential, its frustrating to see the club stuttering to get a deal done. Irving looks to be in the same bracket as CP, JW, SN in terms of quality (as Hickey had a freakily high level of talent which we will struggle to see often IMO), so we'd be well served to make sure the deal gets done. He looks to be physically robust, his talent is clear to see and he is improving game by game. Its as safe a gamble as we're likely to see with a young player. 

All fair, and yeah it was myself that brought up the frustrations of the academy. 

33 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

“We put an offer to Andy again and we're waiting for a response on it,” the Hearts manager Robbie Neilson told the Evening News. “Joe spoke to them again the other day and we are waiting to hear their thoughts on it.

“We want to try and get this done as quick as we can but ultimately it's in the hands of the agent at the moment.

“That's what happens in football: We go, they go, we go back, they go back, and eventually you get there. We are just waiting to hear back now. We've chased it again because it's been quiet but we want it done.”

So Savage did check back in with Irving’s agent last Thursday but only to chase a response on the 2nd contract offer.

According to Buzzbomb the club (i.e Robbie) are straight up telling lies.

44 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

What makes you so sure that it isn't Robbie who's "talking shite"? As far as I can tell, it's Savage who's doing the negotiating, so maybe Robbie is wrong.

Doesn't the statement ... “Joe spoke to them again the other day and we are waiting to hear their thoughts on it" sound very vague to you?  Saying that 'you spoke to them' doesn't mean a contract was offered.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

What makes you so sure that it isn't Robbie who's "talking shite"? As far as I can tell, it's Savage who's doing the negotiating, so maybe Robbie is wrong.

Doesn't the statement ... “Joe spoke to them again the other day and we are waiting to hear their thoughts on it" sound very vague to you?  Saying that 'you spoke to them' doesn't mean a contract was offered.

Why is it more likely that Robbie is lying than some random guy on the internet?

20 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Why is it more likely that Robbie is lying than some random guy on the internet?

I didn't say Robbie was lying.  I said " ... maybe Robbie is wrong."

41 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

So according to buzzbomb we haven’t made a second contract offer and Savage only got back in touch with Irving’s agent this morning.

According to Robbie we have made a second contract offer  (he states this clearly) and Savage contacted Irving’s agent last Thursday to chase it up.

That’s two completely different versions, Ron! They’re not even close to being similar. 

Until buzzbomb presents evidence that our manager is blatantly lying repeatedly to the media then I’m content to stick to the belief he is talking shite

👍🏻

Edited by Alex Kintner

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

So Robbie only ‘thinks’ we went back and made a counter offer? 🤪

5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

So Robbie only ‘thinks’ we went back and made a counter offer? 🤪

As I said in my earlier post, the negotiations are being conducted by Joe Savage, so anything that Robbie says on the matter is what he's been told by Joe.  That provides opportunity for misunderstanding, imo. 

10 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

So according to buzzbomb we haven’t made a second contract offer and Savage only got back in touch with Irving’s agent this morning.

According to Robbie we have made a second contract offer  (he states this clearly) and Savage contacted Irving’s agent last Thursday to chase it up.

That’s two completely different versions, Ron! They’re not even close to being similar. 

Until buzzbomb presents evidence that our manager is blatantly lying repeatedly to the media then I’m content to stick to the belief he is talking shite

👍🏻

That's correct.  Someone is wrong.  It doesn't mean someone is lying, though.

Malinga the Swinga
40 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Unless Savage comes on live TV and confirms we offered AI new contract, and provides details of said contract, some on here would prefer to believe poster they haven't met. 

Even if he did, Buzzbomb would accuse him of lying. 

13 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

As I said in my earlier post, the negotiations are being conducted by Joe Savage, so anything that Robbie says on the matter is what he's been told by Joe.  That provides opportunity for misunderstanding, imo. 

Maybe on finer details but surely not on whether we’ve actually made a counter offer?

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's correct.  Someone is wrong.  It doesn't mean someone is lying, though.

According to buzzbomb we’re not only lying but also leaking to the press and acting without class

According to buzzbomb we’re not only lying but also leaking to the press and acting without class

All I can say is that I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. 

Let's hope that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere and that it gets resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.  In my view, the team plays better when Irving is on the field so I hope he stays with Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

All I can say is that I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. 

Let's hope that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere and that it gets resolved to the satisfaction of all concerned.  In my view, the team plays better when Irving is on the field so I hope he stays with Hearts. 

On that we agree 👍🏻

On that we agree 👍🏻

I knew that if we talked long enough, we'd get there!  :biggrin2:

Stop Fecking the guy about hearts, and give him what he wants. 

Jesus we have paid more for absolute pish. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ain't that the truth.

1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

come on get it over the line :rifle:

Or call it a day. 
none of us knows what Irving is after. If it’s too much, it’s too much. We move on. 
would be good to know either way tho 

wattie exploited
49 minutes ago, Sid said:

Or call it a day. 
none of us knows what Irving is after. If it’s too much, it’s too much. We move on. 
would be good to know either way tho 

dont think we will ever know the more it drags on the more it looks he isnt going to sign !

either way hearts move on !

its about time hearts start getting a better plan to sign up our better young talent :rifle:

alwaysthereinspirit
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

“Give him What he wants”

No limits? 
Not sure that’s a good idea.

alwaysthereinspirit
16 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

dont think we will ever know the more it drags on the more it looks he isnt going to sign !

either way hearts move on !

its about time hearts start getting a better plan to sign up our better young talent :rifle:

Maybe the plan was to offer him a huge raise. Max contract.

If he says no I want more then Hearts can’t be faulted.

wattie exploited
Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Maybe the plan was to offer him a huge raise. Max contract.

If he says no I want more then Hearts can’t be faulted.

am sure hearts will have made him a fair offer if he doesn't take it then we move on just a pity that all this uncertainly of late will he or won't he sign is causing a wee bit off negativity about this 

hope fully he will stay :rifle: 

alwaysthereinspirit
Just now, wattie exploited said:

am sure hearts will have made him a fair offer if he doesn't take it then we move on just a pity that all this uncertainly of late will he or won't he sign is causing a wee bit off negativity about this 

hope fully he will stay :rifle: 

I hope he stays too but we can’t be held to ransom. And I’m not saying we are. It just we all know how agents work. More for the player means more for them.

A baseball player over here was dumped by his agent because he wouldn’t sign for another team with a raise. The player wanted to stay with the team he was with. Agent got mad and dropped him as a client. 
Talk about cutting your nose off........

Its only the 9th of February. The club say we are still talking and that what is happening is the normal back and forward they'd expect in a negotiation. As far as I know, neither the player or his agent has said anything publicly to suggest they are unhappy with the negotiations. Maybe I've missed something. All the chat about how this is dragging on seems to be based entirely on the second-hand knowledge of anonymous posters (assuming that the posters aren't Andy or his agent). That really doesn't seem to be solid grounds for panic quite yet. Think I'll check back on this thread in May if he still hasn't signed a contract.

If Irving decides he wants to move on (as he is perfectly entitled to do) it will be disappointing but the world won't stop turning.

We have a sporting director who clearly has a knowledge of the market we are in and I'm sure there are other promising players out there in English or Irish league football. I like the idea of signing guys like McEneff who see Hearts as a step up and are desperate to prove their worth. 

Irving may feel in his head (rightly or wrongly) that he's outgrown us and it's time to move on. If that's the case he will probably leave no matter what the club offer him. As I said earlier it's his choice and he has the right to decide his own future. If he makes the wrong decision he will have to live with the consequences.

1 hour ago, stuart500 said:

If Irving decides he wants to move on (as he is perfectly entitled to do) it will be disappointing but the world won't stop turning.

We have a sporting director who clearly has a knowledge of the market we are in and I'm sure there are other promising players out there in English or Irish league football. I like the idea of signing guys like McEneff who see Hearts as a step up and are desperate to prove their worth. 

Irving may feel in his head (rightly or wrongly) that he's outgrown us and it's time to move on. If that's the case he will probably leave no matter what the club offer him. As I said earlier it's his choice and he has the right to decide his own future. If he makes the wrong decision he will have to live with the consequences.

I like the idea of signing guys like McEneff who see Hearts as a step up and are desperate to prove their worth. 

This is key for me. Obviously very difficult to do but signings who have a decent future or decent chance of moving to a bigger club than Hearts, eventually, should be more of a priority. Not possible all the time but almost every player we sign either retires or goes on to play at a lower level.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I like the idea of signing guys like McEneff who see Hearts as a step up and are desperate to prove their worth. 

This is key for me. Obviously very difficult to do but signings who have a decent future or decent chance of moving to a bigger club than Hearts, eventually, should be more of a priority. Not possible all the time but almost every player we sign either retires or goes on to play at a lower level.

Agree ! Would like to see us do what Jim jefferies done with a recruitment in bringing through kids from the academy , signing players from other clubs ie weir, cameron , mccann etc and then some quality foreign players

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Agree ! Would like to see us do what Jim jefferies done with a recruitment in bringing through kids from the academy , signing players from other clubs ie weir, cameron , mccann etc and then some quality foreign players

That won't be happening any time soon .

JJ had a blank cheque to make these signings 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Apart from that they work together and would be in regular contact about something this important. Nonsense from yourself.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

You said in the same post that Robbie was talking shite. Just takes a certain type of individual to put more credence in an anonymous unverified source on the internet than someone who is actually involved in the situation. Explains a lot about the prevalence of conspiracy theories nowadays.

48 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

He really didn't. They were all PRE-SMG.

Even after SMG, I wouldnt say blank cheque. More of a very specific cheque thrust upon him with ultimatums attached.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Blank cheque?? He brought through the likes of locke, mcmanus , Ritchie, johnstone , naismith and a few more ! Bought the likes of cameron , mccann, weir for buttons and Adam, rousset , salvatori , flogel were free transfers

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )