Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not overly against Halliday signing, but what you’re saying there is a stretch I think. Really isn’t that great and I fear we’d be splurging too much on wages for someone who is best average at Premiership level. You have to ask why no other team in the Premiership has approached him with an offer.

Aside from that I think signing of the window is certainly open for debate with a few capable of being seen as such come the end of the season.

Again are people forgetting where we're playing next season? Average Rangers players like Halliday will be top Championship players and will stroll it. He's not a superb player by any means but he's certainly a step above the sort of quality I was expecting us to be able to attract given our current position. He would instantly add something that's really missing from areas of our team, and that's passion. He's an absolute grater, he has the sort of mentality we need in the middle of the park, he has plenty experience in Scotland, and is versatile enough to cover a couple of different positions. He'd be a great capture.

He said recently that he's had a few offers. Didn't name any clubs, but would be massively surprised at any player leaving Rangers and then not having any offers from other Premiership teams. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Guest ToqueJambo

My problem with Halliday is that he'd be expensive and we have a very promising youngster in his position in Irving, plus Cochrane and Connor Smith also in his position (I think).

Isn't that what we complained about last season when signing Whelan and Damour? We signed older pros and restricted the chances for youngsters? Halliday on paper looks experienced and that he has some quality. But so did Damour and Whelan.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Again are people forgetting where we're playing next season? Average Rangers players like Halliday will be top Championship players and will stroll it. He's not a superb player by any means but he's certainly a step above the sort of quality I was expecting us to be able to attract given our current position. He would instantly add something that's really missing from areas of our team, and that's passion. He's an absolute grater, he has the sort of mentality we need in the middle of the park, he has plenty experience in Scotland, and is versatile enough to cover a couple of different positions. He'd be a great capture.

He said recently that he's had a few offers. Didn't name any clubs, but would be massively surprised at any player leaving Rangers and then not having any offers from other Premiership teams. 

Then why 2 months into the season is he not signed? I’m not sure if it was the Si Ferry Interview where he talks about Tynecastle or not but the recent clamber for Hearts fans to want him is perplexing to say the least.

Like I said before I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him, what I’m saying is he’d have to be worth what we’d be paying. If he was willing to take a significant cut to join then fine, he can cover at left back too. But if he was demanding funds that would exceed what a normal championship club would pay then it’s a no from me. We don’t need Halliday to win the championship and as I said before once we got to the Premiership he’d be limited, just as he is now, hence why he’s still without a club. So why pay excess money for someone we don’t need to win the league we’re currently in and who wouldn’t really improve us in the league we’re aiming to go up to?

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

My problem with Halliday is that he'd be expensive and we have a very promising youngster in his position in Irving, plus Cochrane and Connor Smith also in his position (I think).

Isn't that what we complained about last season when signing Whelan and Damour? We signed older pros and restricted the chances for youngsters? Halliday on paper looks experienced and that he has some quality. But so did Damour and Whelan.

Irving isn't a defensive midfielder. Nor is Cochrane or Smith. We only have Haring and Damour at DM at the moment. I'd be more than happy for Damour to move on and for us to give Halliday whatever we're giving him. He'd stroll the Championship and would continue to do be a strong player in the Premiership. 

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Then why 2 months into the season is he not signed? I’m not sure if it was the Si Ferry Interview where he talks about Tynecastle or not but the recent clamber for Hearts fans to want him is perplexing to say the least.

Like I said before I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him, what I’m saying is he’d have to be worth what we’d be paying. If he was willing to take a significant cut to join then fine, he can cover at left back too. But if he was demanding funds that would exceed what a normal championship club would pay then it’s a no from me. We don’t need Halliday to win the championship and as I said before once we got to the Premiership he’d be limited, just as he is now, hence why he’s still without a club. So why pay excess money for someone we don’t need to win the league we’re currently in and who wouldn’t really improve us in the league we’re aiming to go up to?

He's said he's keeping his options open. Wants a move to MLS but maybe that hasn't materialised for one reason or another. He has had offers - he has confirmed that in an interview. Maybe he's holding out for the right one. Who knows. Yes absolutely he would need to take a significant wage cut to join us. I think he'd need to accept one whatever happens unless he ends up in USA, China or the Middle East. 

Sorry is there two Andy Halliday’s?

Or are folk actually talking about the Andy Halliday that was the poster boy for the worst Sevco team in living memory? The Andy Halliday that Celtic fans chanted his name every old firm game because he was so bad? The same guy who left Sevco 4 months ago and is still without a club?

Now I appreciate we are where we are right now so I wouldn’t be against offering someone like him a short term deal on reasonable wages. But only after a trial!

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Irving isn't a defensive midfielder. Nor is Cochrane or Smith. We only have Haring and Damour at DM at the moment. I'd be more than happy for Damour to move on and for us to give Halliday whatever we're giving him. He'd stroll the Championship and would continue to do be a strong player in the Premiership. 

He's said he's keeping his options open. Wants a move to MLS but maybe that hasn't materialised for one reason or another. He has had offers - he has confirmed that in an interview. Maybe he's holding out for the right one. Who knows. Yes absolutely he would need to take a significant wage cut to join us. I think he'd need to accept one whatever happens unless he ends up in USA, China or the Middle East. 

I'd swap Halliday for Damour as well, if possible. More a reflection on Damour than Halliday though.

11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don’t think he even strolled the Championship the last time he was in it, and that was in his mid-twenties, when Hibs were Rangers only competition. He’s turning 29 next month, meaning he doesn’t really fit the mould of a Neilson signing anyhow. And if we go up he’d spend the majority of the Premiership season a 30 year-old. And when we’re in that league we should be aiming higher than Halliday. If he was to take a one year contract on significantly reduced terms knowing with all players fit he wouldn’t be in the starting XI, as I say fine. But we don’t need him. As others have pointed out we should have enough strength in other areas and this is our chance to blood youth, and we can definitely do this if we’re playing 3 at the back as a sitting DM is not required, a deep lying playmaker is what’s needed, and that he’s not.

Would he be the difference between us going up or not? No (not unless something significant happens) Would he be the sort of player we’d want when back in the Premiership? No, we should be aiming much, much higher. So with those answers in mind, then what would be the point of even entertaining a deal for him?

8 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I’m not getting the comparison to Irving and Halliday’s style of play. Halliday is a workhorse and Irving is a proper footballer with good vision and passing. Only thing similar about them is they play in the middle of the park. They’d actually be a half decent combination. 

"Similar in style" may not have been the best choice of words, but they're both CMs whose main attribute is having a good left foot. I agree that Halliday has more dig about him and I'm sure they could play together, but it's not unreasonable to think they'll be occupying similar areas of the pitch and that it'd often be one or the other.

9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm not sure anyone's said we definitely shouldn't sign him. There's a difference between that and not wanting to pay over the odds for a 29 year old whose wage expectations are likely to be relatively high compared to his ability.

I would say the level of player we've been targeting and signing for the first team, Gordon aside, is about midtable English League One standard (Roberts, Ginnelly) and maybe a bit lower for the back-ups (Frear, Songo'o). I really don't think Halliday is far enough outside the former bracket to merit more than a two year deal on modest wages. Our current position also means that we have to smart with our spending.

By the way, a lot of people have remarked on his passion, which is definitely something we could do with more of. Out of interest, was he known for his passionate displays at Middlesbrough, Blackpool or Bradford, or did he just save it for Rangers?

21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Sorry is there two Andy Halliday’s?

Or are folk actually talking about the Andy Halliday that was the poster boy for the worst Sevco team in living memory? The Andy Halliday that Celtic fans chanted his name every old firm game because he was so bad? The same guy who left Sevco 4 months ago and is still without a club?

Now I appreciate we are where we are right now so I wouldn’t be against offering someone like him a short term deal on reasonable wages. But only after a trial!

Couldn't agree more he is completely hopeless 

Ainsley Harriott
19 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

Couldn't agree more he is completely hopeless 

I wouldn't worry according to this place Jimmy Dunne was being announced last Monday.

23 days until we kick a competitive ball can't come soon enough. That way we can see how the players have responded to Robbie and can comment on them properly and not on previous seasons

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Guy gives 100% in every minute of every game.. not a world beater ability wise, but we are in the championship and be in a dogfight..  type of player we need 100%

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Guy gives 100% in every minute of every game.. not a world beater ability wise, but we are in the championship and be in a dogfight..  type of player we need 100%

I think several of the above previous cover it. Do you believe without Halliday we don’t get promotion? As if the answer is no then he is not a player we “need” is he?

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think several of the above previous cover it. Do you believe without Halliday we don’t get promotion? As if the answer is no then he is not a player we “need” is he?

Maybe he'll knock us back ?

Or , more likely , all those posts debating whether we should or shouldn't sign him are fanciful nonsense

jamboinglasgow

Andy Halliday works really hard, but is not much more than that. I remember the start of last season he was wanted by Hibs and I wanted them them to sign him. If he hadn't been a squad player for Rangers then I doubt people would be clamouring for him. 

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

What difference does it make. A club that shafted us asked us for a player and we agreed to it. We're also trying to offload Bobby (IMO). This is a shop window for him.

I hope they painted the window oot !

15 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Clamouring for Andy Halliday. 

Andy ****ing Halliday. 

Someone wake me up when this season is over. 

It’s not started yet. 😄

11 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

After a few years of watching players ponce about being utter pussies  I want as many players as possible who will fight for every minute in every game.

9 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a signing this week as a way to deflect from the Zlamal criticism.

You don’t think they would be looking to sign players anyway? 

9 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see a signing this week as a way to deflect from the Zlamal criticism.

Don't think the management would give a stuff about any criticism on here, it is after all where most of it comes from.

14 minutes ago, The Roller said:

As long as it isn't Halliday :getout:

24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

After a few years of watching players ponce about being utter pussies  I want as many players as possible who will fight for every minute in every game.

That’s avoiding the question though, isn’t it? We all want players who will fight and show desire, but preferably with quality too. If Halliday had the second part not only would no one be questioning the possibility, he would’ve signed for a club by now. But he hasn’t. And we don’t need him to win the Championship and would do next to nothing for us in the Premiership and is too old to be considered a sell on investment. He’s the definition of a waste of money in these circumstances.

What was the main problem last season? Lack of fight .

What does Andy Halliday bring to a team? Fight. 

Need I say more.

Herald reporting we have knocked back a bid from a Cypriot team for Anthony MacDonald.

It has been disappointing that he so far hasn't made it to first team regular as he looked a more exciting prospect than any youth player for a long time.

Jamboscanbevicius
11 minutes ago, Coco said:

Herald reporting we have knocked back a bid from a Cypriot team for Anthony MacDonald.

It has been disappointing that he so far hasn't made it to first team regular as he looked a more exciting prospect than any youth player for a long time.

Seems fairly left field. I’d be very surprised if we let him go. 

12 minutes ago, Coco said:

He needed to bulk up a bit but his injuries seem to what's holding him back

Unless the situation has changed, as of last Monday, we aren’t/haven’t been interested or even in contact with Halliday. Halliday has all ready turned down the opportunity to sign for Hibs and has also had offers from Aberdeen. He wants to go down south and as it stands or as it stood last Monday, that hadn’t changed. He is happy to sit and wait for the right opportunity for him. 

Any more rumours regarding a new CB ? We badly need 1 maybe even two if Berra is struggling? I have said before i would love Igor Rossi back.

Think we need another striker too, not convinced about whighton tbh and Naismith is great but perhaps won't be able to play all the time with his injury record?

16 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

Couple of times you've mentioned this, you realise it's a loan with an obligation to buy? We won't be getting any funds until the end of the season at least. Unless I have missed something?

He's out of contract at the end of the season so it's a loan fee with an obligation for the player to sign, nothing to do with buying. Once he's signed and the loan fee is with us he's essentially not ours anymore and ball is in his court.

38 minutes ago, David Black said:

What was the main problem last season? Lack of fight .

What does Andy Halliday bring to a team? Fight. 

Need I say more.

I’ll ask you the same question; would signing Halliday be the difference between us winning the Championship or not?

14 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I hope we only give 1 season contracts to players who are only good enough to get us out the Championship and not 3-4 years.

In fact forget that 1 season loans would be much better.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’ll ask you the same question; would signing Halliday be the difference between us winning the Championship or not?

Probably not, but that type of player will certainly help as we have been as weak as p*** for the last 3 years. Is he a world better, certainly not. Is he a team player who will fight for his team and teammates, he certainly is.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I hope we only give 1 season contracts to players who are only good enough to get us out the Championship and not 3-4 years.

In fact forget that 1 season loans would be much better.

Provided the loans don't entail "must play" clauses.

I don't know if the great Joel's contract contained such a clause but it certainly seemed that way.

1 minute ago, David Black said:

Probably not, but that type of player will certainly help as we have been as weak as p*** for the last 3 years. Is he a world better, certainly not. Is he a team player who will fight for his team and teammates, he certainly is.

Would he more likely be sent off in a maroon jersey?  He certainly would.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't know if the great Joel's contract contained such a clause but it certainly seemed that way.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The trouble is we can’t afford to get a numpty on loan as we’ve had our fair share of these in the past.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Think thats down to piss poor management that looks like its continuing. Brought in 3 wide players so why not let the boy go. 

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Naisysback said:

Think thats down to piss poor management that looks like its continuing. Brought in 3 wide players so why not let the boy go. 

If he impresses Robbie he'll get a chance. I think this is a make or break season for him 

43 minutes ago, David Black said:

Did he fight for other clubs like he did for Rangers? I don’t know. But that’s irrelevant. If he’s not the difference between us winning promotion or not, and he’ll be too limited for the Premiership, then any expenditure to have him in the team is an unnecessary waste. We also have players who are capable of fighting for the team and their teammates, it’s up to the new manager to get them to do that. And we have no idea about our new signings, maybe they already bring that fight you’re wanting in. Either way Halliday would be a pointless acquisition in these circumstances.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

If he impresses Robbie he'll get a chance. I think this is a make or break season for him 

Robbie has signed 3 wide players, like CL before him he brings in his players and that block pathway for younger boys. Neilson know boys like Mcdonald and Cochrane, hewas there when they were kids,  plus he has been in Scotland for last couple of years. Filling the team with journeymen like Frear, Roberts....instead of pushing the boys through.

In pre season games has he given the young boys a crack....not seen Cochrane get a start yet....not counting the game on Friday.

6 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Robbie has signed 3 wide players, like CL before him he brings in his players and that block pathway for younger boys. Neilson know boys like Mcdonald and Cochrane, hewas there when they were kids,  plus he has been in Scotland for last couple of years. Filling the team with journeymen like Frear, Roberts....instead of pushing the boys through.

In pre season games has he given the young boys a crack....not seen Cochrane get a start yet....not counting the game on Friday.

He maybe doesn’t think they are good enough. Can’t play them just because they are young, they’ve got to be good enough to get in the team on merit.