Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

Couldn't have said it better. I know it will sound brutal but I don't want to see us giving a big money contract to another player who's well past his best and in the twilight of his career as I understand we did with Berra. If we do go down that road we'll just undo all the good Daniel did in his short time with us. 

What a lot of nonsense. All the good he done for us took us to bottom of the league. A major part we were bottom was because he stuck with a hopeless goalkeeper for so long. If we had managed to get Gordon in January then no way would we have been bottom. To be fair had he dropped the useless keeper before he did we probably wouldn't have been bottom. Gordon will be fantastic in the dressing room and will have a massive influence on and off the pitch. He is still a top class keeper and will probably be the best we have had since he left. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

Despite being far better than what we have some folk don’t want us to sign CG just because he played for Celtic.

Welcome to kickback. 

Robbo-Jambo
18 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

What a lot of nonsense. All the good he done for us took us to bottom of the league. A major part we were bottom was because he stuck with a hopeless goalkeeper for so long. If we had managed to get Gordon in January then no way would we have been bottom. To be fair had he dropped the useless keeper before he did we probably wouldn't have been bottom. Gordon will be fantastic in the dressing room and will have a massive influence on and off the pitch. He is still a top class keeper and will probably be the best we have had since he left. 

Absolutely spot on. 

Gordon and Nelison will help bring back stability to our club after an utterly shambolic time over the last 2 or 3 years. 

Also believe that Robbie will bring in signings that will enhance that stability even more over the coming months. 

Wow 🤯🤪

Its clear someone on this thread has a lot of time on their hands and doesnt get out much!!!! 😮

What a way to live....

Really can't believe what I'm reading on here, some people actually saying that Gordon is finished and that they have never been impressed by Gordon, crazy.

Gordon is the best keeper I have seen in maroon, Neimi was outstanding for us but Gordon eclipsed him, we will be very lucky to get someone of Gordons calibre at the club. He has a number of good years ahead of him.

Unknown user
Just now, brux said:

Really can't believe what I'm reading on here, some people actually saying that Gordon is finished and that they have never been impressed by Gordon, crazy.

Gordon is the best keeper I have seen in maroon, Neimi was outstanding for us but Gordon eclipsed him, we will be very lucky to get someone of Gordons calibre at the club. He has a number of good years ahead of him.

I basically agree with the overall point, big Craig in goal last season would have seen a very different story I reckon.

But Niemi's the best I've seen, incredible keeper.

9 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Harry is good enough Gordon will be whispering him in his ear to move to Celtic.  That good enough for you? 

This would be ridiculous even if your username wasn't a reference to the biggest Rangers fan we've had playing in the last 30 years.  Who left us to return to his true love.  

billybalfour

It is hard to disagree with the posters on here who say we would probably not have finished bottom if Craig had come back in January.

As to his Hearts credentials ,as far as I am aware, he still contributes to FOH.

Finally,after Celtic games at Tynecastle,he was always the first to leave the pitch if they were celebrating at the School End.

That seems like a good basis to me for hoping he returns.

kingantti1874

Yet more evidence on here that we have far too many clueless weapons Who’d be better off watching another sport 😂

Allowayjambo1874
6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Couldn't have said it better. I know it will sound brutal but I don't want to see us giving a big money contract to another player who's well past his best and in the twilight of his career as I understand we did with Berra. If we do go down that road we'll just undo all the good Daniel did in his short time with us. 

Berra was poty In first season and essentially never recovered from an injury he sustained against Celtic in his second season and was then rushed back. At no point was he considered a bad signing. Add to that the manner in which CL has us playing and his limitations were exposed for all to see. 

I completely understand giving out contracts to a player who is past it (don’t get me started on Aaron Hughes) but Gordon is a quality shot stopper and I don’t think there are many Scottish clubs who wouldn’t want him so why we would turn up our nose to him seems bizarre. AB has guided us very well financially, you can question her football decisions but I don’t think she will overdo it on wages, so if we can afford him then it’s a no brainer

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yet more evidence on here that we have far too many clueless weapons Who’d be better off watching another sport 😂

Indeed, clueless arseholes or Hubs. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Gordon miles better than anything we've got right now and will instantly give defence confidence which neither Zlamal, Doyle or Pereira did 

Neil Dongcaster

Goalkeeper position was a seriously big problem for us last season and cost us double disgust points. 

Signing Gordon SHOULD solve this issue for us. I’m glad we haven’t taken any risks and gone for the straight forward logically approach, it’s quite the novelty with our recruitment.

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Dear Celtic I’m one of the bhoys I love yoooo.

Hi hearts.

sick.

If bringing back Craig annoys you it’ll be worth it just for your seethe.

😋

I'm actually warming to the idea of him coming back and hoping we actually sign him now as it seems like the other keepers who we could of potentially signed are all signing for other teams now? I.e McLaughlin and hladky, I think he might just be the best we can get at the moment. Easily has 2 more seasons at championship/spl level (would be the best keeper in the championship by a mile)

As others have said i can see him moving into the goalkeeper coaching role at us after he is finished playing.

I remember when i was younger circa between 2005-2007 I used to be in awe of some of big Craigs saves! Especially his triple save against sparta prague at murrayfield, Got to be the best save I've ever seen live. Definitely one of the finest keepers to have ever played for us. The fact he played for Celtic doesn't bother me as long as he plays well with us over the next couple of years.

Bring him home Robbie!!

BackOfTheNet

When the prospect of signing Gordon came up in January I was against it. My reasoning being that Stendel has a particular style of play that would require a sweeper keeper which Gordon isn’t capable of as well as his injury record and age.

Now, the age and injuries are still a factor, but the style of play under Neilson we know will suit Gordon’s skill set. I believe he will sign, but I’m not going to pretend I’m over the moon about it due to previous concerns mentioned, also taking into consideration potential wage demands. Oddly enough if we’re going to be in the Championship it’s a signing I’d be happier with.

However although there are legitimate reasons to not get as excited as some about the prospect of his signing - anyone who is against his signing due to his years at Celtic and not hating every minute of being there are not supporters of a football club but a warped ideology. When Gordon says “thank you for my 6 years” and all you hear is “HH” then you’re deluded and I would suggest your problem has more to do with a warped sense of what ‘affiliation’ you feel Hearts have to a debate that should be left along the M8.

Question should be is the player of quality to play at the level we are playing at. What team they've played for recently, ‘what school they went to’ etc is completely irrelevant and is something that should be a historical reference when we talk about how daft people were to pick a football club to support based on anything other than family, location and football reasons.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

When the prospect of signing Gordon came up in January I was against it. My reasoning being that Stendel has a particular style of play that would require a sweeper keeper which Gordon isn’t capable of as well as his injury record and age.

Now, the age and injuries are still a factor, but the style of play under Neilson we know will suit Gordon’s skill set. I believe he will sign, but I’m not going to pretend I’m over the moon about it due to previous concerns mentioned, also taking into consideration potential wage demands. Oddly enough if we’re going to be in the Championship it’s a signing I’d be happier with.

However although there are legitimate reasons to not get as excited as some about the prospect of his signing - anyone who is against his signing due to his years at Celtic and not hating every minute of being there are not supporters of a football club but a warped ideology. When Gordon says “thank you for my 6 years” and all you hear is “HH” then you’re deluded and I would suggest your problem has more to do with a warped sense of what ‘affiliation’ you feel Hearts have to a debate that should be left along the M8.

Question should be is the player of quality to play at the level we are playing at. What team they've played for recently, ‘what school they went to’ etc is completely irrelevant and is something that should be a historical reference when we talk about how daft people were to pick a football club to support based on anything other than family, location and football reasons.

👍

Harry Stone.......?

Anyone know if he's staying or going as has been rumoured.

Gordon would be good influence if it happens.....!

Forever Hearts
59 minutes ago, brux said:

Gordon was a very good goalkeeper but he wasn't in the same class as Niemi. 

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Gordon was a very good goalkeeper but he wasn't in the same class as Niemi. 

Gordon had trouble passing a ball which I imagine has improved. Great shot stopper and for a young man had respect of older defenders commanding his box. Brenda didn't rate him as a "modern sweeper keeper type".

11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Harry Stone.......?

He only just signed a professional contract in July which had another year on it so if he is going to go it will be for money. However from the articles about him from February people at Hearts would anticipate he will make a first team debut at some point this season and see what happens from there

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

I think we will see scarf above head today. 

I agree, I think the timing of him announcing he has left Celtic yesterday suggests to me that things have been wrapped up with us. 

6 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Gordon had trouble passing a ball which I imagine has improved. Great shot stopper and for a young man had respect of older defenders commanding his box. Brenda didn't rate him as a "modern sweeper keeper type".

It’s all to do with the system and managers philosophies. Brendan Rodgers maybe never rated him as a sweeper keeper but played him in 90% of the games because he was that good a goalkeeper.

Craig is better with the ball at his feet than both McGregor and Forster. It just never gets highlighted because they don’t get asked to ***** about with it. Fwiw Craig has improved immensely in that department and it’s something people will realise next season.

If Gordon hadn't got such a bad injury I doubt he would have been been at Celtic, he would have played in the EPL much longer 

This is a good signing, despite what a few said on this thread he is a Hearts fan and will do his best for us (and that best is a lot better than what we have had recently in goals) 

2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Despite being far better than what we have some folk don’t want us to sign CG just because he played for Celtic.

Welcome to kickback. 

Could it be that Gordon is past his best. It’s bad enough some saying Berra can do a job- which he can’t as anybody who watched him last season will realise. There’s No need to turn Hearts into a well paid retirement home.

The Future's Maroon

Great signing, anyone saying otherwise has lost the plot imo 

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, maroonshrew said:

Hearts twitter just teased it. Announced imminently. Sorry if I'm late to that. 

Done deal by the look of it. 

Welcome back Craig. 

Would love for him to prove me wrong.

Edited by Batistuta87

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/craig-gordon-makes-tynecastle-return

1593425228cgbanner.jpg

Craig Gordon makes Tynecastle return

The Scotland goalkeeper has signed a two-year deal to rejoin the Jambos and will link up with the first team when it returns to training.

The 37-year-old has enjoyed a trophy and accolade-laden career, which began at Hearts when he joined the Academy in 1999.

Following a productive loan spell at Cowdenbeath in 2001, Craig got a taste of first-team action with Hearts in 2002 before going on to establish himself as the club’s no.1 ‘keeper in season 2003/04.

His stock rose season after season thanks to his consistently outstanding performances, which saw him win his first Scotland cap in 2004. To date he has amassed 54 national team appearances and a place in the Scottish FA’s International Roll of Honour.

Craig was part of the legendary 2005/06 team that finished second in the league, earning a shot at Champions League qualification, and lifted the Scottish Cup by beating Gretna, with Craig saving a penalty during the shootout. He was voted the Scottish Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year, the first Hearts player to win the award since Sandy Jardine in 1988.

At the age of only 24, he was inducted into Hearts’ Hall of Fame in 2007 and was the youngest player to receive such an accolade.

In August 2007, he earned a move to the English Premier League when Sunderland paid £9 million for his services, a then British record transfer fee for a goalkeeper. He made 88 top flight appearances during his time at the Stadium of Light and his stop against Bolton in 2010 was voted Best Save in Premier League history, before he departed the Black Cats in 2012.

A period of coaching followed while Craig completed his rehabilitation from injury and in 2014 he signed for Celtic, where he would go on to win six Premiership titles, five League Cups and three Scottish Cups as well as his place back in the national team, and a second SFWA Player of the Year award.

His contract at Celtic Park expired this summer, allowing Hearts to make a move to bring him home to Tynecastle.

Edited by kila

Just now, kila said:

1593425228cgbanner.jpg

Thought the pitch would look a but better......................kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back Craig

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Definitely a few on this thread have union flags on their Twitter handle.

:laugh:

39 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Harry Stone.......?

Ironically, if he is not yet ready for first team then signing Gordon could be the key to keeping him.

No longer up for debate.

Welcome back

Edited by Spellczech

4 minutes ago, kila said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/craig-gordon-makes-tynecastle-return

1593425228cgbanner.jpg

Craig Gordon makes Tynecastle return

The Scotland goalkeeper has signed a two-year deal to rejoin the Jambos and will link up with the first team when it returns to training.

The 37-year-old has enjoyed a trophy and accolade-laden career, which began at Hearts when he joined the Academy in 1999.

Following a productive loan spell at Cowdenbeath in 2001, Craig got a taste of first-team action with Hearts in 2002 before going on to establish himself as the club’s no.1 ‘keeper in season 2003/04.

His stock rose season after season thanks to his consistently outstanding performances, which saw him win his first Scotland cap in 2004. To date he has amassed 54 national team appearances and a place in the Scottish FA’s International Roll of Honour.

Craig was part of the legendary 2005/06 team that finished second in the league, earning a shot at Champions League qualification, and lifted the Scottish Cup by beating Gretna, with Craig saving a penalty during the shootout. He was voted the Scottish Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year, the first Hearts player to win the award since Sandy Jardine in 1988.

At the age of only 24, he was inducted into Hearts’ Hall of Fame in 2007 and was the youngest player to receive such an accolade.

In August 2007, he earned a move to the English Premier League when Sunderland paid £9 million for his services, a then British record transfer fee for a goalkeeper. He made 88 top flight appearances during his time at the Stadium of Light and his stop against Bolton in 2010 was voted Best Save in Premier League history, before he departed the Black Cats in 2012.

A period of coaching followed while Craig completed his rehabilitation from injury and in 2014 he signed for Celtic, where he would go on to win six Premiership titles, five League Cups and three Scottish Cups as well as his place back in the national team, and a second SFWA Player of the Year award.

His contract at Celtic Park expired this summer, allowing Hearts to make a move to bring him home to Tynecastle.

Welcome home Craig ❤️What a handsome man he is🥰

bajthejambo

Welcome back. An immediate upgrade in the goalkeeper department and a Hearts man too. Good business all round.