PFA SCOTLAND MANAGER OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS 2023-24

livi

Kilmarnock's Derek McInnes gets the nod for a stellar year at Kilmarnock, with his former No 2 Tony Docherty rewarded for an excellent first year at Dundee. 

The other spot goes to John McGlynn at Falkirk - who are one game away from an invincible season as League One champions.

RustyRightPeg

McGlynn for me. 

Naisy has dominated both of them. A shambles considering he's a rookie manager in his first full season.

The lazy arguments would be "Aye but budget. Aye but Shankland". 

Still have to lead the group, look what happened to the same group under Neilson. Tools = downed.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

Naismith clear in 3rd place and 2 semi finals in his 1st year and not even nominated is a bit of a joke I agree. 
Meanwhile the rags are moaning that the OF managers are snubbed 🤔

Absolute Scenes

Mcinnes sitting 4th place. Aye brilliant achievement mate, well done for scraping into the top 4 and top 6, let’s overlook a guy sitting in 3rd at a canter with two Hampden trips and a double win over Celtic. 

Scottish football is so bent.
The bitterness that so many hold against Hearts is bizarre and hilarious. 
Completely disregarding Naismith is a joke

Bazzas right boot

Fair for me, taking Killie from championship,  relegation candidates to European football and finishing above the likes of Aberdeen is cracking for them.

He's shown real progress.

Taking a Hearts team from 4th to 3rd is good but it's not exceptional or surprising. 

Well done Deek, he's a boring so so but has done a great job with killie after they looked in danger of being a yo -yo team.

Hope he stays there and doesn't go to hibs or Aberdeen, he'd have them doing much better.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Mcinnes sitting 4th place. Aye brilliant achievement mate, well done for scraping into the top 4 and top 6, let’s overlook a guy sitting in 3rd at a canter with two Hampden trips and a double win over Celtic. 

Scottish football is so bent.
The bitterness that so many hold against Hearts is bizarre and hilarious. 
Completely disregarding Naismith is a joke

Tbf, 4th is brilliant for Killie.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

McGlynn for me. 

Naisy has dominated both of them. A shambles considering he's a rookie manager in his first full season.

The lazy arguments would be "Aye but budget. Aye but Shankland". 

Still have to lead the group, look what happened to the same group under Neilson. Tools = downed.

Same group unde Neilson was 3rd then 4th, we are now 3rd again, Which is good.

McInnes progress at Killie has been brilliant. 

Stendelnator

Naismith has done what most people on here expected. Couple semi finals and a third place. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

I think my Manager of the year trio would have been Naisy (first year, 3rd at a canter), Docherty, punching well above his weight with a solid Dundee team in his first season, and no clue for the other. McGlynn seems fine, but hasn't he won the League 1 title with a team that outstrips the resources of the other teams in that division? Not sure its a huge deal tbh. 

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbf, 4th is brilliant for Killie.

No it’s not. Since 2001 they’ve  finished in the top six 9 times, just under half of those seasons. They are fairly regular in the top six, it’s really not an achievement. It should be based on current season performance and wherever they were last season is irrelevant.

The three choices are fair enough. 3rd is where we should be. Killie have beaten both the Old Firm and done very well to get 4th. Dundee making the top 6 is a great achievement, same goes for Falkirk going through the season undefeated, maybe. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think my Manager of the year trio would have been Naisy (first year, 3rd at a canter), Docherty, punching well above his weight with a solid Dundee team in his first season, and no clue for the other. McGlynn seems fine, but hasn't he won the League 1 title with a team that outstrips the resources of the other teams in that division? Not sure its a huge deal tbh. 

Bob never got mgr of the year either time when we went from championship straight to 3rd, so I never even thought Naismith was close to being noninated by taking us from 4th to 3rd in a season. 

Docherty or McInnes are the stand outs, the teams have over performed and went beyond most expectations.

Bunny Munro

Is there not usually 4 nominees?

I had assumed thoese 3 and Naismith would make up the 4.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

No it’s not. Since 2001 they’ve  finished in the top six 9 times, just under half of those seasons. They are fairly regular in the top six, it’s really not an achievement. It should be based on current season performance and wherever they were last season is irrelevant.

2001.. your going back 20 +years?

It is brilliant , they got relegated 3 seasons ago and where 10th last season. 

Killie being above teams with bigger budgets and getting European football is brilliant. 

If it was based on league position then the manager of the team 1st would always get it, ofc their position last season is a big factor, that  is how you can show  that manager has improved the team in that season- it's a reflection of his management and improvement in the team, 10th to 4th is a big improvement. 

It's probably the whole basis for the award. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Said it before on here re the 'of' managers.  It's an absolute joke people even suggesting them.  With the money they have, anyone could manage them, and end up 1st or 2nd every season.

Shaggy2
48 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Naismith has done what most people on here expected. Couple semi finals and a third place. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

Probably fair. We expect to be finishing 3rd and to not exit either cup in games that don’t involve the Glasgow teams in Glasgow. Rarely happens though.

However, I did not expect double figures in away wins or 9 points more than last season’s total, with 4 games still to play. 

At the time of the nominations the manager had the chance of a cup final and to beat Hearts record SPFL haul, including a run of 31 points from 33 with a win at Parkhead in there. The form table since November/December has Celtic, Rangers and Hearts within 3 or 4 points of each other. 

I think Naismith deserves a lot more credit than he’s getting and should have been nominated. 

Having said all that, I’d still vote McGlynn.

saxondale
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

There's a difference between what Naismith is expected to do (as a rookie manager who's only been coaching for a few years), and what Hearts are expected to do.

Malinga the Swinga
29 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Been overlooked in the Womens nominations too

Partick manager I get, but Hibs women manager has been nominated despite them being behind us in league and out in cup. 

Very strange and almost like other clubs jealous of progress Eva has made with Hearts.

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Been overlooked in the Womens nominations too

No idea how Eva can be overlooked!

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, saxondale said:

There's a difference between what Naismith is expected to do (as a rookie manager who's only been coaching for a few years), and what Hearts are expected to do.

There is but imo taking a Hearts team from 4th to 3rd isn't manager of the year material. 

I reckon even Naismith would agree!

Stendelnator
14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Partick manager I get, but Hibs women manager has been nominated despite them being behind us in league and out in cup. 

Very strange and almost like other clubs jealous of progress Eva has made with Hearts.

Quite possibly down to the fact Hearts have had massive investment in the past two seasons and if anything have underachieved to date 

colinmorewasgash

No surprise with nominations even in womens game hibs manager and hibs player gets in why?.  I am sure fact that the rangers fans hate naismith or the spfl and sfa also hate us has nothing to do with any off it. Even when we scooshed championship they gave best player to scott allan and bob wasnt considered. The fact that the media even go on about stmirren dundee and killie and their great seasons than us even getting mention or naismith sums it up. If it had been the media poet warrior darlings and monty getting 3rd and two semis Iam sure they would have been having a media chugathon.

RustyRightPeg

League structure dictates this though. If an EPL manager finished in the "top half" would he be nominated for it? Would he feck.

If Hibs finish with more points than Dundee how can Docherty even come close to being regarded as manager of the year?

Uncle Buck

Gary Naysmith’s achievements are far better than John McGlynn’s this season. McGlynn won a league he was expected to win. It’s a league they’ve been in for too long.

Anyway, Tony Docherty would probably get my vote. They were one of the favourites to be relegated.

Pilmuir
2 hours ago, OTT said:

If they avoid defeat next week Falkirk will be undefeated in the league for an entire season - that’s a big deal.  Not sure they have the biggest budget either - read somewhere they are third behind Hamilton and Cove Rangers.

Nobreath
2 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Yes, it's like this every season. 

GorgieFifeLife

Nominations are fair enough.  They try to have one in from the lower leagues and Mcglynn has done well.  I don’t see why Naismith should be nominated for improving by 1 place.

longmalx

Nominations fair - Naismith probably 4th in the list. If he's won a cup he'd be in there.

Getting Dundee into top-6 with that squad is a great achievement and I can't see how anyone could argue against McInnes - he's built a strong squad and has turned around a number of players (Kennedy/Watkins) and beaten the old firm with a fraction of our budget.

RustyRightPeg

Rhys McCabe should be on there. If we're giving awards our for punching above your weight then he deserves it. Airdrie also play some of the best football I've seen us come up against this season. Was really impressed with how brave they were against us. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gary Naysmith’s achievements are far better than John McGlynn’s this season. McGlynn won a league he was expected to win. It’s a league they’ve been in for too long.

Anyway, Tony Docherty would probably get my vote. They were one of the favourites to be relegated.

Maybe could share with Vincent Kompany

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Personally I'd give it to Davie for taking Livi back where they belong, honourable mentions to Monty, Bazza and Del Adams

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

Quite possibly down to the fact Hearts have had massive investment in the past two seasons and if anything have underachieved to date 

And she has had to manage that investment and get us to cup final. Hibs have regressed and yet get manager nominated because, well because they're Hibs. 

Underachieved is garbage.

Saint Jambo

You just need to look at the thread about what would make a successful season next season to see why Naismith isn't up for manager of the year this year. Even our own fans are in the main saying we have to achieve more than we did this season just for it to be considered successful next season. In that context it is hard to argue that this season's efforts should be considered the best in the country.

One challenge with all these awards is voting before the end of the season. Should Rangers pull off an unlikely turn around and win the treble, it would look far more weird that Clement was missing from the shortlist than Naismith. Equally, if he wins the league cup and nothing else, it would be weird to include him. 

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Rhys McCabe should be on there. If we're giving awards our for punching above your weight then he deserves it. Airdrie also play some of the best football I've seen us come up against this season. Was really impressed with how brave they were against us. 

Morton gave us a far harder game, we had Airdrie beaten after 25 mins or so.

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Morton gave us a far harder game, we had Airdrie beaten after 25 mins or so.

Purely because of the pitch.

Airdrie had far more chances to score against us and Gordon made a few important saves. They hit the woodwork too IIRC.

ScottieMac17

We have always been over looked in the awards. Love him or hate him but Neilson should have won it back when we were in the championship with Hibs and Rangers but Stubbs won manager of the year. So i'm not holding my breath over Naismith winning anything. 

On a tangent, funny how the media jumped on Naismith to be sacked earlier in the season but now very rarely talk him up or talk about how well he is doing as a rookie Scottish Manager.

karipidis
2 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

We have always been over looked in the awards. Love him or hate him but Neilson should have won it back when we were in the championship with Hibs and Rangers but Stubbs won manager of the year. So i'm not holding my breath over Naismith winning anything. 

On a tangent, funny how the media jumped on Naismith to be sacked earlier in the season but now very rarely talk him up or talk about how well he is doing as a rookie Scottish Manager.

John Hughes won it that year, and probably rightly so. 

I think an argument can be made for the 3 nominated and Naismith. On the outside the job Naismith has done has probably been good but not outstanding, whereas I think we can see the progress we have made and how we are constantly improving (something that did not really happen under Neilson). I like the fact the media are downplaying his achievements and focusing it all on Shankland. More chance of holding on to him for longer. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Purely because of the pitch.

Airdrie had far more chances to score against us and Gordon made a few important saves. They hit the woodwork too IIRC.

I  remain unconvinced.

🤷‍♂️

surely it has to be Monty for getting hibs to the top of the relegation 6, no?

DG_HMFC
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair for me, taking Killie from championship,  relegation candidates to European football and finishing above the likes of Aberdeen is cracking for them.

He's shown real progress.

Taking a Hearts team from 4th to 3rd is good but it's not exceptional or surprising. 

Well done Deek, he's a boring so so but has done a great job with killie after they looked in danger of being a yo -yo team.

Hope he stays there and doesn't go to hibs or Aberdeen, he'd have them doing much better.

Agreed.

We're probably expected to be where we are with our budget, etc.

Killie likely run on a shoe-string budget, so to be sitting 4th, ahead of the famous Aberdeen, and the flairmeisters Hibs, is an incredible achievement.

Tynecastle Valhalla

Have no issue with this.

it’s a compliment to hearts that we are expected to finish third tbh.

great that neither OF manager is there.

Falkirk invincible season should mean mcglynn wins it.

gnasher75

For me Naismith should be nominated as he has done a brilliant job as a rookie manager. The results, especially away from home, have been very good. He has also shown that he can improve players.

But quite happy for him to fly under the radar. And I guess it's a compliment to Hearts that everyone expects us to finish third. 

Boyces beard

Those 3 managers have done a great job this season to be fair. Hopefully McGlynn gets it.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

You just need to look at the thread about what would make a successful season next season to see why Naismith isn't up for manager of the year this year. Even our own fans are in the main saying we have to achieve more than we did this season just for it to be considered successful next season. In that context it is hard to argue that this season's efforts should be considered the best in the country.

One challenge with all these awards is voting before the end of the season. Should Rangers pull off an unlikely turn around and win the treble, it would look far more weird that Clement was missing from the shortlist than Naismith. Equally, if he wins the league cup and nothing else, it would be weird to include him. 

You would hope that PFA members would be more realistic than a club's supporters though. 😄

saxondale
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

There is but imo taking a Hearts team from 4th to 3rd isn't manager of the year material. 

I reckon even Naismith would agree!

I agree, but it's still worth bearing in mind.

He'll win it no problem next year when we finish 2nd place and win the league Cup.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, saxondale said:

I agree, but it's still worth bearing in mind.

He'll win it no problem next year when we finish 2nd place and win the league Cup.

Nah.

1st place and lc.

And Skelator will still get it.

Thunder and Lightning

Aye it's all a conspiracy against us. 

And well done to the Robbie defence league for getting him another mention. 😂 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning