Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

10 minutes ago, H2 said:

Best keeper we've had since Craig Gordon.

👍 and before that Jim Cruickshank!

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

We are signing a far better keeper than we currently have though. Good start to the managerial and squad situation. 

I said the same of Berra, if he can recapture 75% - 80% of his previous form and self then for the championship he will skoosh it. 

As a temporary signing to hopefully maybe producing a fine goalkeeping coach and mentor for young Harry Stone I can see the benefits of him signing. Just don't want fans thinking he will be Craig Gordon who we first had. He won't, he wasn't even close to that at Celtic

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Maybe we can stop leaking goals like a bad plumbing job. 

Excellent news ! Craig can easily play atthe top level for another couple of years.

Off topic, but can I just say to 'Marvin,'  That's the best 'Signature' I've seen in a long time !😄

My boyhood hero the first time around - really haven't enjoyed having to endure years of him in a Celtic shirt. 

Welcome back Craig. What an upgrade on what we had.

David McCaig
18 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Still think we could have got a younger, potentially better keeper but happy enough with Craig.

Finally someone with genuine ability in between the sticks.

We already have a younger, potentially better keeper, his name is Harry Stone, but he is nowhere near ready yet.

For the next couple of years I will be ecstatically happy that we have made an utterly fantastic signing in Craig Gordon.

Wasn't keen on this but seeing the scarf above head, it just looks right and brings back memories of when he was my hero.

Still worry that a lot of people's reasons (future coach, loads of experience, help the youths, played at the top level etc) all applied to Aaron Hughes too...and we don't need the goalkeeper equivalent of that.

Hopefully he's still good. Welcome home Craig.

Fitba' broke my Heart

Very happy to hear the news.

Long term plans being actioned rather than indulging in short term reactions.

Must be some sort of change in the boardroom?

More than happy with this. Had many discussions about  who was the better keeper Niemi or  Gordon. Niemi tends to shade it for me but both were quality.  I still think Gordon has a lot to offer as a keeper and, with his experience, knowledge and intelligence, could make a very good coach. 

7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Back 5 of Gordon,Smith,Souttar,Halkett and Hickey 😏

:jjno:

💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

I said the same of Berra, if he can recapture 75% - 80% of his previous form and self then for the championship he will skoosh it. 

As a temporary signing to hopefully maybe producing a fine goalkeeping coach and mentor for young Harry Stone I can see the benefits of him signing. Just don't want fans thinking he will be Craig Gordon who we first had. He won't, he wasn't even close to that at Celtic

Not the player he was but Championship or premiership he is clearly good enough. Will steady our defence a lot imo.  

We stole a Premiership clubs manager.

We stole a Premiership clubs target. 

No wonder they hate us. 

:robboyas:

13 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Dear Celtic I’m one of the bhoys I love yoooo.

Hi hearts.

sick.

What utter tripe. We've had at least 6 signings of former Celtic players that I can't think of off the top of my head. Everyone of them was class and gave 100%.

Welcome back Craig. Great signing imo. Just what we needed. Good start for the week ahead and hopefully jam on Wednesday. 
HHGH 🇱🇻

Neil Dongcaster

****ing delighted. Hearts haven’t produced many world class players in my lifetime. Craig Gordon is one.

Arguably the best ever player we have produced ability wise. The last couple of years with us, his first year with Sunderland and his form with Scotland, he had the potential to be one of the best in Europe. Credit to him to getting back to a high standard after his injuries. Cracking signing

Dallas Green

Excellent signing.

Not only a great goalkeeper and will now stop stupid goals leaking past us, the confidence he will give the defence will be immense. 

2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Despite being far better than what we have some folk don’t want us to sign CG just because he played for Celtic.

Welcome to kickback. 

Don't know why some folk think that others don't want him because he played for Celtic. So did John Colquhoun, Roddy MacDonald, Stephane Mahe and probably others but those spring to mind straight away. Oh aye, Mark Burchill aswell. This "just because he played for Celtic" stuff is nonsense. Perhaps some don't want him in because he's nearly 38 years old, Celtic or no Celtic? I have no problems with Gordon coming in as a replacement coach for the useless Gallagher. Zlamal, Doyle and Perreira have shown that Gallagher appeared not to be up to the job if their performances are anything to go by. I'd much prefer bringing in another keeper as first choice and Stone as back-up. Gordon could easily come in if he had to and cover for them if injuries prevail. Wouldn't be an automatic first choice for me. Mind you, the Championship shouldn't be a difficult league to play in so he might get away with it for a year or so anyway.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Don't know why some folk think that others don't want him because he played for Celtic. So did John Colquhoun, Roddy MacDonald, Stephane Mahe and probably others but those spring to mind straight away. Oh aye, Mark Burchill aswell. This "just because he played for Celtic" stuff is nonsense. Perhaps some don't want him in because he's nearly 38 years old, Celtic or no Celtic? I have no problems with Gordon coming in as a replacement coach for the useless Gallagher. Zlamal, Doyle and Perreira have shown that Gallagher appeared not to be up to the job if their performances are anything to go by. I'd much prefer bringing in another keeper as first choice and Stone as back-up. Gordon could easily come in if he had to and cover for them if injuries prevail. Wouldn't be an automatic first choice for me. Mind you, the Championship shouldn't be a difficult league to play in so he might get away with it for a year or so anyway.

Stevie Fulton

Maurice Johnston

Hartley was a died in the wool Celtic fan

Darren Jackson

Craig Beattie

Jimmy Bone

Bobby Prentice

Brian Whittaker

Alfie Conn jr

Edited by JimmyCant

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:jjno:

💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 

Ok I'll swap Halkett for Murray Wallace 🤞😂

Mid Calder Jambo

I remember my uncle telling me about 20 years ago that we had a great young prospect of a goalkeeper on the books by the name of Craig Gordon.  Sadly he is not around to see Craigs return because if he was he would be, like me. over the moon.  Welcome home Craig.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Stevie Fulton

Maurice Johnston

Hartley was a died in the wool Celtic fan

Darren Jackson

brian Whittaker.....   RIP

Och I was hoping we would go for Pereira........I really think about getting new meds...😂😂, welcome back Craig. Hopefully this is a start to bringing back some stability in the defence...HHGH!!.

28 minutes ago, Shanks said:

You’re calling folk halfwits for moaning and you’re the one jumping about like a wee girl? :lol:

Everyone is allowed their own opinions :thumbsup:

Opinions yes, but the Gordon battering is waaay past opinions...

Clear there is an agenda or simply a lack of capacity...or poss both 😉

I absolutely slated the guy for years whilst he played for ‘them’. Hated seeing him in their shirt, hated the way he acted in their shirt, hated the fact that he was there full stop. Maybe my hatred clouded my views of Craig Gordon the person. 

Anyway, now he’s back, I’m ****ing delighted. Am I fickle? **** aye. It’s my right 🇱🇻👍🏼

10 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Arguably the best ever player we have produced ability wise. The last couple of years with us, his first year with Sunderland and his form with Scotland, he had the potential to be one of the best in Europe. Credit to him to getting back to a high standard after his injuries. Cracking signing

This guy gets it. Bang on the money. 

Hats off to John Murray and the scouting team for this one...credit where it is due.....

🙃

😉

I listened to him Saturday and he came across very well. He will make a good coach for us too. 
I bet the rest of Scottish football are spitting bricks at the moment as despite being the whipping boys we continue to show we are miles ahead of the rest when it comes to being honourable. We have a dedicated fan base with some big financial hitters backing us. 

Just now, kila said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/craig-gordon-makes-tynecastle-return

1593425228cgbanner.jpg

Craig Gordon makes Tynecastle return

The Scotland goalkeeper has signed a two-year deal to rejoin the Jambos and will link up with the first team when it returns to training.

The 37-year-old has enjoyed a trophy and accolade-laden career, which began at Hearts when he joined the Academy in 1999.

Following a productive loan spell at Cowdenbeath in 2001, Craig got a taste of first-team action with Hearts in 2002 before going on to establish himself as the club’s no.1 ‘keeper in season 2003/04.

His stock rose season after season thanks to his consistently outstanding performances, which saw him win his first Scotland cap in 2004. To date he has amassed 54 national team appearances and a place in the Scottish FA’s International Roll of Honour.

Craig was part of the legendary 2005/06 team that finished second in the league, earning a shot at Champions League qualification, and lifted the Scottish Cup by beating Gretna, with Craig saving a penalty during the shootout. He was voted the Scottish Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year, the first Hearts player to win the award since Sandy Jardine in 1988.

At the age of only 24, he was inducted into Hearts’ Hall of Fame in 2007 and was the youngest player to receive such an accolade.

In August 2007, he earned a move to the English Premier League when Sunderland paid £9 million for his services, a then British record transfer fee for a goalkeeper. He made 88 top flight appearances during his time at the Stadium of Light and his stop against Bolton in 2010 was voted Best Save in Premier League history, before he departed the Black Cats in 2012.

A period of coaching followed while Craig completed his rehabilitation from injury and in 2014 he signed for Celtic, where he would go on to win six Premiership titles, five League Cups and three Scottish Cups as well as his place back in the national team, and a second SFWA Player of the Year award.

His contract at Celtic Park expired this summer, allowing Hearts to make a move to bring him home to Tynecastle.

Just look at the sheer delight on that man's face! He's 'Home'! :cheer1:

ford donald
10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Delighted! ❤️👍

Absolutely,I am sure RN will be as well!

29 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Back 5 of Gordon,Smith,Souttar,Halkett and Hickey 😏

All signed by Murray?

Just saying.

Edited by JamboAl

Central Belt 1874

This is a really good signing, in a position that has been needing sorted for some time.

Hopefully, there are more signings of this quality to come. 

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

All signed by Murray?

Just saying.

All signed when Murray was here. Theres a difference. You could credit him with Hickey possibly. Probably not with the rest.

Edited by JimmyCant