Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He’s still kicking about waiting for another offer from Celtic to stay in paradise with his Celtic tv presenting wife though when we have offered a contract.

Millions of quid and trophies maybe but sitting on their bench for a few extra £ so he can be there for 10?  If not he will come “home”. Nah **** off. 

Or like any sane person looking for their future employment,  they consider all offers and make their decision. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Or like any sane person looking for their future employment,  they consider all offers and make their decision. 

Mate he’s a multi millionaire.  He wants to stay at Celtic as part of the Celtic family or whatever.  He’s said he’s waiting for them getting back.  Let’s not kid on it’s a massive massive decision In his career.

We will sign him if Celtic don’t want him for their bench or a wage isn’t justified to them.  Then he will say he’s still a massive Jambo and all will be forgotten because he’s a better goalie even at his age than anything at the club.  Yes we are all hypocrites but let’s not pretend if this wasn’t Hearts and Craig Gordon we would be laughing at a player doing similar to Hibs or Aberdeen. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Mate he’s a multi millionaire.  He wants to stay at Celtic as part of the Celtic family or whatever.  He’s said he’s waiting for them getting back.  Let’s not kid on it’s a massive massive decision In his career.

We will sign him if Celtic don’t want him for their bench or a wage isn’t justified to them.  Then he will say he’s still a massive Jambo and all will be forgotten because he’s a better goalie even at his age than anything at the club.  Yes we are all hypocrites but let’s not pretend if this wasn’t Hearts and Craig Gordon we would be laughing at a player doing similar to Hibs or Aberdeen. 

Does it really matter that much to you? Footballers move around, they usually almost always go for the one that offers the most money. Get over it.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

On fire lad😀

John colquhoun played and ,I think ,supported Celtic. Paul Hartley played  and supported Celtic. Two of my favourite all time players. Just saying 

35 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Meanwhile back in the real world real people accept the best job offer that matches their lifestyle requirements. 

Craig Gordon is much better than anyone else we are likely to attract. 

He is a substantial mark up on the shit that has been ****ing up our last couple of years. 

No brainer 

☝️ this.

If he passes a fitness test, ok fine with me.  If he wants too much money, we need to be cautious considering what we have been through already with auld has beens.  If his motivation is first team football with a further out-reach towards International football, what happens to his motivation when he finds out he's not wanted at international level also then gets injured.

On a PR scale the idea or prospect of him clapping/waving/chest pumping/bending over towards Celtic fans during a game is sickening to me.  Then having to listen to the commentary as well.  I also get a hunch or idea he might look down at Hearts, it wont be the same Craig Gordon that left us many years ago.

Can he be professional enough for us if all the positives are met, yes I would say so.  Will he end up like the previous jokers taking leave of the club and running back home or wherever else he feels is best to be, I don't know.

I would rather we chased a 23+ yr old upcoming keeper on loan or sign a good looking prospect under guidance of a new Sporting Director, with the hope that the signings from the past are a thing of the past.

Let Gordon decide his best terms, but let's not go all out to chase someone that seems less committed than a possible fresh face keeper that will go all out to play for a future career like Gordon did originally.

I like reading the different view points.  👍

Thought Police

This debate pops up a lot and I still chuckle when people say they’d stay loyal to their club for a fifth of the wage another club would offer. Hope they do that at their real job.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Why would I be laughing?

I'm not detached from reality 

PhoenixHearts
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Why can’t anyone have an opinion about playing for Celtic without bringing up Rangers.  

Because Rangers support terrorists "paramilitary" groups too. 

Craig Gordon is well aware Celtic aren’t all of a sudden going to come back with a fantastic revised offer 3 months after he knocked back their initial deal.

He’s not stupid......which is more than I can say about some one here tbh.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Meanwhile back in the real world real people accept the best job offer that matches their lifestyle requirements. 

Craig Gordon is much better than anyone else we are likely to attract. 

He is a substantial mark up on the shit that has been ****ing up our last couple of years. 

No brainer 

This

Georgecowie

Hurry back Craig. At least we're not in for that huddy Schmeichel. Somehow saved a penalty tonight. Even a blind squirrel... 

One of the reasons I liked Francesco Totti was his loyalty to Roma. Could have got a lot more £ and a lot more medals elsewhere. I used to like Gerrard for the same reason but have pit that admiration on hold until he leaves Ibrox!

So some players are still able and willing to be loyal to a team they love and never leave for more money elsewhere.

But the difference with Gordon was that we cashed in and made money from him! He has made a career for himself since but it seems pretty clear that he is desperate to end his career back with the team he loves.

Personally I am not convinced about signing him due to his age, his performance in some games I've watched, his injury record and presumably his wage demands. Bit worried it could be another Berra situation, watching a Hearts great slowly decline.

I'd have taken McLaughlin ahead of him and would be interested to know who else is available given how many players are being released.

Gordon is better than all the keepers we have and would instantly improve us. All the other debates are pointless. Get him signed. 

JamboAndrew

if we get him, we get a winner. Someone who is used to winning and gets pissed off when he doesn't win. That is in very short supply in the current squad.

I'd be happy if he signs. A year or two while bringing on the youth sounds very sensible.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

If he signed the one thing he would bring (which is something we have been missing for a number of years now) is a confidence for the defence and that's a good foundation to build on. 

Hearts cashed in on him when he's was a massive prospect and got the club a fee that we will never likely see similar again. During his time down south he was still spotted at hearts games when he could get up and so what if he cashed in to get the best salary and chance of silverware possible whilst heading towards the end of his career.

Yes he may not have acted the way we wanted on some occasions whilst playing against the famous, but we don't know what grief from the stands he could have been getting on the lead up to those moments that then allowed the adrenaline to kick in for those moments of madness (jeeze we know how rough we can sometimes be to our own players at times). 

All in all though, if he does come home to his boyhood heroes I genuinely believe he will give his all each time he pulls on the jersey and will help us kick on to get out of this mire we have been wading through for the past few years to finish off at the club where it all started. 

I think some people’s imaginations have got the better of them when it comes to Celtic. Can someone please detail the catalogue of incidents where Craig apparently disrespected and offended us Hearts fans? I think he punched the air once when we missed a penalty. Other than that I’m lost. 

I do remember how he would applaud the Gorgie end every second half. He also used to get pelters from the Celtic fans for not joining in with their over the top celebrations against us. 

Edited by DS98

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

If he signed the one thing he would bring (which is something we have been missing for a number of years now) is a confidence for the defence and that's a good foundation to build on. 

Hearts cashed in on him when he's was a massive prospect and got the club a fee that we will never likely see similar again. During his time down south he was still spotted at hearts games when he could get up and so what if he cashed in to get the best salary and chance of silverware possible whilst heading towards the end of his career.

Yes he may not have acted the way we wanted on some occasions whilst playing against the famous, but we don't know what grief from the stands he could have been getting on the lead up to those moments that then allowed the adrenaline to kick in for those moments of madness (jeeze we know how rough we can sometimes be to our own players at times). 

All in all though, if he does come home to his boyhood heroes I genuinely believe he will give his all each time he pulls on the jersey and will help us kick on to get out of this mire we have been wading through for the past few years to finish off at the club where it all started. 

Yeah pelters from the 300 fans in that pishy wee corner at parkhead must be just too much to take at times. 
He’d rather get splinters in his hoop and be part of their ten in a row than play for the team he “loves” imo. 
What kind of Hearts man is that? :lol: 

Here's a picture of Gordon posing with me and my brother in law. Top lad 😁

Screenshot_20200624_082104.jpg

Edited by Kendoll

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

Here's a picture of Gordon posing with me and my brother in law. Top lad 😁

Screenshot_20200624_082104.jpg

Look at his face :rofl: right after he pulled down Callachan. 

That is absolutely beautiful man🥰🥰

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Look at his face :rofl: right after he pulled down Callachan. 

That is absolutely beautiful man🥰🥰

Delightful eh? Nice of him to take the time to look so sad whilst the two of us are going tonto in the background 😂

ford donald
8 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon is better than all the keepers we have and would instantly improve us. All the other debates are pointless. Get him signed. 

Our chance and only chance of getting a international keeper,give him a 2year deal and a coaching role when thats done,no brainer.

Come on down Craig,you know it makes sense!

jack D and coke
32 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

Delightful eh? Nice of him to take the time to look so sad whilst the two of us “Hearts men” are going tonto in the background 😂

FTFY☺️

OmiyaHearts
10 hours ago, Deepfriedpizza said:

He's a dick. But he's still a good keeper.

Most people are dicks. It shouldn't be a reason not to sign a player.

OmiyaHearts

I find it funny that posters are crying about him not acting like a Jambo while playing for celtic. It's the same with Pressley. Considering the abuse supporters dish out, it's amazing how sensitive wee souls get upset by ex players antics.

Get over it.

You do everything and anything you can to win, whoever you play for. We could be doing with a lot more players with Gordon's attitude (and Pressley for that matter).

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Keeping the baw outta the net is still the most important skillset...if you have a backline that can deal with that issue in any case and everyone knows where they stand, literally, coming for crosses isnt a dealbreaker. If it was a "major deficiency" he wouldnt have went on to play at the level he did and smash a transfer record which was held for a good amount of time. If he was so woeful he wouldnt have made it passed the Hearts...his career speaks for itself, it doesnt need you or I to debate or dissect... 😁

I didn't say he was woeful did I? he is one of the three best keepers I have seen in a Hearts jersey in  55 years. You are right a back line that can deal with crosses can mitigate that weakness. And at Hearts he generally had that and at Sunderland and Celtic too quality players in front of him. Not so certain he will enjoy so much  protection if he rejoins us now.

13 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I find it funny that posters are crying about him not acting like a Jambo while playing for celtic. It's the same with Pressley. Considering the abuse supporters dish out, it's amazing how sensitive wee souls get upset by ex players antics.

Get over it.

You do everything and anything you can to win, whoever you play for. We could be doing with a lot more players with Gordon's attitude (and Pressley for that matter).

Nothing like criticising a professional for being professional. 

Much better to have a shit player who "gets it".  😀😀😀

Prince Buaben

Does Craig Gordon make us stronger? 

Yes?

Welcome back Craig.

pettigrewsstylist

Celtic first choice it is then. Even their derisory offers are of more interest to Craig than ours. Is he using his disclosure of our offer to focus his first choice Celtic....

Hope we are now looking elsewhere. No hard feelings but no sentiment either on back of that.

pettigrewsstylist
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I didn't say he was woeful did I? he is one of the three best keepers I have seen in a Hearts jersey in  55 years. You are right a back line that can deal with crosses can mitigate that weakness. And at Hearts he generally had that and at Sunderland and Celtic too quality players in front of him. Not so certain he will enjoy so much  protection if he rejoins us now.

Niemi and Cruickshank?

Would Gordon be eligible for the sort of 13 month payment Naismith got last season?

Just wondering if that might be a factor in timing, especially if there's a chance our season might start later anyway.

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Celtic first choice it is then. Even their derisory offers are of more interest to Craig than ours. Is he using his disclosure of our offer to focus his first choice Celtic....

Hope we are now looking elsewhere. No hard feelings but no sentiment either on back of that.

Correct. If he was a Hearts man he’d have been walking along the M8 not trying to make those foul mutants offer him something more before he makes up his mind. 
Mibbe he’ll come back when he’s really finished at 40 or something. 

A_A wehatethehibs
41 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Correct. If he was a Hearts man he’d have been walking along the M8 not trying to make those foul mutants offer him something more before he makes up his mind. 
Mibbe he’ll come back when he’s really finished at 40 or something. 

To be fair, I've thought about this and just remembered that Scotland are a playoff away from a first tournament since 1998 and Alan McGregor retired from international football.

I suspect with the years he missed through injury, Gordon still sees himself as not being finished, but in a position to challenege for Scotland #1 for that last crack at a tournament. I think it has to be a factor, if Hearts were in the Premiership he'd have not thought twice, just signed. But taking the maroon specs off, if he gets 1 more season at Celtic and plays, then he's in contention for Scotland for a potential tournament. Even a year at a premiership team playing 38 games, he'd still be in with a shout (hence St Mirren). Whereas if he signs for Hearts to play championship football he's as good as out of international contention. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To be fair, I've thought about this and just remembered that Scotland are a playoff away from a first tournament since 1998 and Alan McGregor retired from international football.

I suspect with the years he missed through injury, Gordon still sees himself as not being finished, but in a position to challenege for Scotland #1 for that last crack at a tournament. I think it has to be a factor, if Hearts were in the Premiership he'd have not thought twice, just signed. But taking the maroon specs off, if he gets 1 more season at Celtic and plays, then he's in contention for Scotland for a potential tournament. Even a year at a premiership team playing 38 games, he'd still be in with a shout (hence St Mirren). Whereas if he signs for Hearts to play championship football he's as good as out of international contention. 

Surely Jon McGlaughlan gets the nod in front of CG now? Although that’s two keepers who will be reserves I suppose. Not a great situation ideally. 

John Findlay
14 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

How about... 

Image result for indecent proposal gif at the bar

:rubeyes:

Shag Demi Moore for a million dollars. That falls into the no brainer category.

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He definitely does back himself to be Scotland number 1 again. I don’t think coming to Hearts and playing in the Championship would automatically make it impossible. I’d imagine Naismith would still be credible option to Steve Clarke. David Marshall is playing with a woeful Wigan team who might still get relegated to the 3rd tier of English football and Jon McLaughlin has just consigned himself to zero game time next season. 

4 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Because it’s relevant. There are a lot of people on here with a massive hatred of Celtic, but who have, shall we say, a bit of a soft spot for Sevco.

Edit: and having seen your latest post, no need to ask which group you fall into.

It's only relevant to be fair if someone is looking to start a bigotry argument. Rangers get as much (if not more sometimes) animosity on various Hearts boards throughout social media as Celtic do. Funny how some folk sweep that under the carpet.

Edited by jambonian

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Surely Jon McGlaughlan gets the nod in front of CG now? Although that’s two keepers who will be reserves I suppose. Not a great situation ideally. 

Jon will be number 2 at Rangers so out of the Scotland squad id imagine. 

Pasquale for King
16 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

One of the reasons I liked Francesco Totti was his loyalty to Roma. Could have got a lot more £ and a lot more medals elsewhere. I used to like Gerrard for the same reason but have pit that admiration on hold until he leaves Ibrox!

So some players are still able and willing to be loyal to a team they love and never leave for more money elsewhere.

But the difference with Gordon was that we cashed in and made money from him! He has made a career for himself since but it seems pretty clear that he is desperate to end his career back with the team he loves.

Personally I am not convinced about signing him due to his age, his performance in some games I've watched, his injury record and presumably his wage demands. Bit worried it could be another Berra situation, watching a Hearts great slowly decline.

I'd have taken McLaughlin ahead of him and would be interested to know who else is available given how many players are being released.

You’re right about Gerrard and Totti, but let’s not kid on they weren’t extremely well paid at the clubs they were at. 
McLaughlin would’ve been a great signing but is probably on about 3-4 times what we could offer. If he plays he will automatically be Scotland’s number 1 too.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, primrose said:

Jon will be number 2 at Rangers so out of the Scotland squad id imagine. 

It’s a strange one. He’s far too good to be warming a bench somewhere. 
His last decent payday maybe but what a waste. 

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Shag Demi Moore for a million dollars. That falls into the no brainer category.

I would be looking for her to pay me at two million for that privilege 

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would be looking for her to pay me at two million for that privilege 

Works for me too🤣

vlad on the tyne
1 hour ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Derby reportedly trying to sign him

He would probably earn around about treble at Derby as to what we could offer him.