Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

Arthur Morgan
4 hours ago, vlad on the tyne said:

He would probably earn around about treble at Derby as to what we could offer him. 

As a 'Hearts fan' I would expect the choice at 37 years of age would be easy for him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, vlad on the tyne said:

He would probably earn around about treble at Derby as to what we could offer him. 

Is money a key deciding factor for him. Right now we have no no1, that alone should bring Craig home.

Is Hladky still free? Would definitely be my number one choice. If not, hope Craig joins. Seems to be a lot of good keepers available though 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Is Hladky still free? Would definitely be my number one choice. If not, hope Craig joins. Seems to be a lot of good keepers available though 

Totally agree 

Rick Sanchez

If he's ends up at Derby he's nae PHM in my eyes. But if he does I would loan out Stone and try for Hladky for first choice and MacDonald as backup.

Punt Zlamal and Doyle if we can.

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is money a key deciding factor for him. Right now we have no no1, that alone should bring Craig home.

No, money isn't a factor, but getting and keeping a place in the Scotland squad and /or team is. He's better than Marshall. 

He'd struggle to manage that from the first division at the best of times, but it's pretty much impossible if he doesn't play until October. 

2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

👍definitely 

ford donald
6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

As a 'Hearts fan' I would expect the choice at 37 years of age would be easy for him.

I would be very surprised if he went elswhere.

JamboAndrew

Feels like a Naismith type signing to me and therefore we will be no1 choice as long as silly money isn't on offer elsewhere.

I don't grudge players going for places that pay a load more, as long as its not the arsecheeks. Or if they go to the arsecheeks, I forgive them if they sit on the bench and rake in cash from the orcs.

46 minutes ago, ford donald said:

I would be very surprised if he went elswhere.

Probably reading this and wondering "Why would I want to play for some of these utter chunts"...

Hectormasson
19 hours ago, primrose said:

Jon will be number 2 at Rangers so out of the Scotland squad id imagine. 

Its been about money with mclauchlan at sunderland and rangers"      hes not done too badly though in that aspect no matter if he plays or not ?

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

Feels like a Naismith type signing to me and therefore we will be no1 choice as long as silly money isn't on offer elsewhere.

I don't grudge players going for places that pay a load more, as long as its not the arsecheeks. Or if they go to the arsecheeks, I forgive them if they sit on the bench and rake in cash from the orcs.

CG has a young family - his kids look about 10 and maybe 6-7 - and they've just renovated and and moved into a big hoose in Edinburgh (literally - as in, last week). Considering he'll have millions in the bank already, his kids will be in school, his wife having her own career up here, would the extra couple of grand a week make that much of a difference to him that he'd be willing to uproot his family to move down south for 2yrs until he retires - maybe even live apart from them if they stay in Edinburgh...? Then there's the added expense of a 2nd house down there that might outweigh the initial wage increase... I'm not so sure. Like Naismith, I reckon his next move will be about convenience and about what suits his personal life best; not about money. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

CG has a young family - his kids look about 10 and maybe 6-7 - and they've just renovated and and moved into a big hoose in Edinburgh (literally - as in, last week). Considering he'll have millions in the bank already, his kids will be in school, his wife having her own career up here, would the extra couple of grand a week make that much of a difference to him that he'd be willing to uproot his family to move down south for 2yrs until he retires - maybe even live apart from them if they stay in Edinburgh...? Then there's the added expense of a 2nd house down there that might outweigh the initial wage increase... I'm not so sure. Like Naismith, I reckon his next move will be about convenience and about what suits his personal life best; not about money. 

He is still considering Celtic apparently. He said their offer was rejected however he may still speak to them. He said it was something like an 80% reduction on his previous wage.

If I were him I would be telling them to GTF. Mind you if I were him I would never have been at Celtic in the first place.

But it shows that money still talks.

Jambo 4 Ever
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought he was divorced?

jamboinglasgow
37 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Exactly, I think people can get too focused on money as the driving factor for footballers. I think he has to throw in consideration as well about Derby is that will he be first choice or is it just Derby getting an experienced goalkeeper in but will take a different one in on loan.

33 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He is still considering Celtic apparently. He said their offer was rejected however he may still speak to them. He said it was something like an 80% reduction on his previous wage.

If I were him I would be telling them to GTF. Mind you if I were him I would never have been at Celtic in the first place.

But it shows that money still talks.

I think his message was to Celtic that it will take a good amount of money for him to stay and be a number 2, something Celtic are shown no desire. Doesn't mean he wants to stay at Celtic, just it would have to be very worthwhile for it.

I dont really care that he played for Celtic, what matters is if he comes to us that he gives everything, which having seen him through out his career I dont doubt he will.

Deepfriedpizza
12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

For me he wants to stay at Celtic. He'll only sign for Hearts as a last resort if no better offers come in.

This for me.

Batistuta87
39 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

I thought he was divorced?

Maybe not his wife then but he has a Mrs and 2 daughters, and like I say has just done up a big hoose in Edinburgh which they moved into no more than a couple of weeks ago. 

I said earlier in the thread that his 'boyhood' club comments seemed hollow. Hes even gone on talksport to say hes in talks with hearts. What player that wants to sign for a club does that? They do it to drum up interest. Hes got that from derby now. His heart has never been in coming back. Dont want him at all. Would rather have Jamie Mac or any other decent goalie who would jump at the opportunity and step up to the challenge enthusiastically.

3 minutes ago, HMFSee said:

I said earlier in the thread that his 'boyhood' club comments seemed hollow. Hes even gone on talksport to say hes in talks with hearts. What player that wants to sign for a club does that? They do it to drum up interest. Hes got that from derby now. His heart has never been in coming back. Dont want him at all. Would rather have Jamie Mac or any other decent goalie who would jump at the opportunity and step up to the challenge enthusiastically.

Jamie Mac has signed for Stranraer.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Eh? Wtf left Kilmarnock voluntarily to sign for Stranraer on about £100 a week.. that can’t be right

Edited by kingantti1874

Jamie Walker is a goalie who has joined Stranraer from Killie - not Jamie MacDonald!

19 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Eh? Wtf left Kilmarnock voluntarily to sign for Stranraer on about £100 a week.. that can’t be right

Batistuta87

42 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Jamie Walker (young keeper from Killie) has signed for Stranraer, not Jamie MacDonald. 

Edited by Batistuta87

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, HMFSee said:

Exactly. He either wants to give something back to "his team" look at a long term picture, committing himself to helping Hearts, move onto a protracted career ending up as a goalkeeping coach

Or, he says **** you all and chases the buck. 

I fear the latter. 

I don't think Celtic would respond well to Gordon's comments on Talksport. Kinda makes them seem a bit amatuerish and disrespectful to the time he has given them. Considering they seem to have spent a long time cultivating a certain image, I don't think they want to see any negativity. 

The one thing I took heavily from Gordons interview is that his position within the squad is crucial. He wants to be number 1. If he accepts Celtics apparent shitty offer or goes to Derby its a money move and nothing else. He's effectively retiring from international duty. Scotland have such a lack of keepers at the moment that he literally just needs first team football somewhere. Clarke was happy to cap Shankland who was playing in the Championship, I suspect he would cap Gordon as long as he's playing regularly. Considering Mclaughlin has given up on first team football, Craig has a pretty clear run at number 1. 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't think Celtic would respond well to Gordon's comments on Talksport. Kinda makes them seem a bit amatuerish and disrespectful to the time he has given them. Considering they seem to have spent a long time cultivating a certain image, I don't think they want to see any negativity. 

The one thing I took heavily from Gordons interview is that his position within the squad is crucial. He wants to be number 1. If he accepts Celtics apparent shitty offer or goes to Derby its a money move and nothing else. He's effectively retiring from international duty. Scotland have such a lack of keepers at the moment that he literally just needs first team football somewhere. Clarke was happy to cap Shankland who was playing in the Championship, I suspect he would cap Gordon as long as he's playing regularly. Considering Mclaughlin has given up on first team football, Craig has a pretty clear run at number 1. 

If he decided to go somewhere like Derby it would be to play. The Scotland thing is massive for him. Obviously if he was playing week in week out in the English Championship it would strengthen his case for a Scotland recall more than playing in the Scottish Championship. If we were playing in the Premiership where we should be I suspect it would already be a done deal. 

Am I missing something? He gave an interview where the tone seemed more like he wanted to be celtics no.2 goalkeeper but was disappointed with the offer. How is realistic anyway to imagine you could be Scotland no. 1 at 37/38 years old. Hes gone into contract talks with hearts whilst touting himself to other teams so surely what he really wants is money, not a scotland place. 

36 minutes ago, HMFSee said:

Am I missing something? He gave an interview where the tone seemed more like he wanted to be celtics no.2 goalkeeper but was disappointed with the offer. How is realistic anyway to imagine you could be Scotland no. 1 at 37/38 years old. Hes gone into contract talks with hearts whilst touting himself to other teams so surely what he really wants is money, not a scotland place. 

Yes. You are clearly missing something. 

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Jamie Walker (young keeper from Killie) has signed for Stranraer, not Jamie MacDonald. 

My mistake sorry folks.

16 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Yes. You are clearly missing something. 

Incredibly constructive point, please continue. 

Gordon would be a huge upgrade on what we have.

We need to change our signing policy and sign players who look like they have a future in the game at a higher level than us. I know it’s tricky to identify players like that but too many at the club are at the highest level they’ll be at from now until they retire and I’m not just talking about older players. 

41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Gordon would be a huge upgrade on what we have.

We need to change our signing policy and sign players who look like they have a future in the game at a higher level than us. I know it’s tricky to identify players like that but too many at the club are at the highest level they’ll be at from now until they retire and I’m not just talking about older players. 

Trouble is, most of not all other teams in Scotland are after the same. We should’ve had that in Souttar. He had nothing more than potential when we brought him in. We gave him a consistent run in the team in his natural position. Perfect mentors like Levein and Berra. Next comes International recognition and rumours of big money moves then boom, injury after injury. 

If we didn’t have bad luck we’d have no luck at all. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Trouble is, most of not all other teams in Scotland are after the same. We should’ve had that in Souttar. He had nothing more than potential when we brought him in. We gave him a consistent run in the team in his natural position. Perfect mentors like Levein and Berra. Next comes International recognition and rumours of big money moves then boom, injury after injury. 

If we didn’t have bad luck we’d have no luck at all. 

Injuries are injuries though, could happen to anyone at anytime... 

When you look at the injuries he's had they're not exactly minor niggles, he's been out 6/7 months at a time each time. Just unfortunate for both us and him.

We haven't a clue what's going on behind the scenes but I get the feeling he's stringing us along.  At this strange time though it doesn't actually matter too much.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

We haven't a clue what's going on behind the scenes but I get the feeling he's stringing us along.  At this strange time though it doesn't actually matter too much.

Just waiting to see which league we'll be playing in. 

Hectormasson
8 hours ago, HMFSee said:

Tbf Jamie can be a nightmare as well ? But still better than whats here just now.....

5 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

On Sports Sound this fternoon🤭

So he's out of contract, looking for a final payday, and he's all of a sudden become a media whore 🤔

Craig be like

giphy.gif

Certainly sounds like he will be joining us again this coming week. Good signing both for us and for Harry Stone. 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Certainly sounds like he will be joining us again this coming week. Good signing both for us and for Harry Stone. 

What did he actually say to make you think that?

Benny Factor

Yeah, sounded pretty certain, didn't he?

1 minute ago, Chaps said:

What did he actually say to make you think that?

Not even allowed to train with Celtic, didn’t give the impression he wanted to. Has been talking to Hearts, pleased with the way discussions have been going and expects to tie things up in the next week or so. Robbie doesn’t start until Thursday so I’d imagine Gordon will be his first signing. 

MarkDevriesScores4

Not even allowed to train with Celtic, didn’t give the impression he wanted to. Has been talking to Hearts, pleased with the way discussions have been going and expects to tie things up in the next week or so. Robbie doesn’t start until Thursday so I’d imagine Gordon will be his first signing. 

That’s exactly the way I heard it too. Think he’ll be at hearts by the end of next week 

3 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

That’s exactly the way I heard it too. Think he’ll be at hearts by the end of next week 

👍

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Takes a pay-cut too. Probably still sat up there with Damour, Naismith & Boyce as the top earners at the club now.

No doubt. Worth it though.