Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd say that was probably Stendel's biggest mistake to be honest. Not so much by not getting Gordon or anyone else in (we don't know if it would've been feasible at the time) but by constantly playing Perreira, probably the most undecisive goalkeeper I think I've ever seen wearing a Hearts top in my 38 years of going to watch Hearts. I am in no way saying Zlamal or Doyle was the answer either, just that it would only have been fair at the time to give either of them an extended run and dropping Perreira. Neither were top drawer but Perreira definitely wasn't either. Must've been disheartening for the other two to keep watching Perreira make mistake after mistake and they couldn't do a thing about it. We don't know what was in his loan contract from Man Utd but i'd hate to have thought part of the deal was that he played every week. Anyway, we move on, and thankfully Perreira has. One or both of the others next please.

Stendel tried to sign Gordon but Lennon was having none of it!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

Just now, Rc55 said:

Absolutely delighted. Best goalkeeper I have seen for us  just pipping  Jim Cruickshank for me.

Close call that one!

Jamstomorrow
10 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Good signing. Jimmy Dunne next please. 

If only . . .  if only.   

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Gordon was truly exceptional. Always thought he would have went on to be No 1 at Arsenal or Liverpool after his form for us a fine start at Sunderland. The Sunderland fans from what I remember thought alot about him but injuries and his price tag would be his downfall. He was solid enough at Celtic and produced fine form at times but has never been the same. 

Have to agree regarding a move to another Premier club after Sunderland. I thought that he would've moved on to one of the top clubs as well but injuries buggered that up.

11 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Good signing. Jimmy Dunne next please. 

I said the same in a post before yours. He was solid and was disappointed when he left. Far better than his loan replacement Shaughnessy by miles.

John Findlay

When a goalkeeper of Craig Gordon's ability becomes available and he let's it be known he wants to sign for you, then you dont say no.

Welcome back to Tynecastle Park Craig.

Hungry hippo
36 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

How are we pulling this off, surely he was on decent money at Celtic? I can only assume we know we are staying up

Unfortunately there is no chance we know that. We just have secure funding and badly needed a goalkeeper.

This is great news ❤️

He's signed while it's unclear what division we are going to be in. 

Surely that proves his commitment to the Hearts. 

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Stendel tried to sign Gordon but Lennon was having none of it!

Ah, right. I wasn't quite sure what the situation was. Cheers for clearing that up.

Good lad, welcome home.

As for people not happy, perhaps you wish for the standard of Doyle, Pareira and Zibimal

:facepalm:

Just now, John Findlay said:

When a goalkeeper of Craig Gordon's ability becomes available and he let's it be known he wants to sign for you, then you dont say no.

Welcome back to Tynecastle Park Craig.

But but but he played for Celtic and he did not purposely let us score goals against him.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Turkishcap said:

Yep welcome back. A bit like Sam Fox  a safe pair.

A safe pair that turned? 😂

Ted Hastings

Great interview, there was one thing he said which is hard to believe was said sincerely. When asked about grabbing the number 1 jersey and being first choice goalkeeper.

'Good competition, some good goalkeepers here'

:notsure:

Brick Tamland

Great signing, hopefully he can develop Harry Stone into a top class keeper. I’m sure Harry Stone will be delighted with this signing too! 

David McCaig
9 minutes ago, oxfordman said:

Great interview, and he's obviously genuinely delighted to be back. He looks like a kid on Christmas Day!

I defy anyone to watch that interview without a big cheesy grin on their face.

Just now, Ted Hastings said:

Great interview, there was one thing he said which is hard to believe was said sincerely. When asked about grabbing the number 1 jersey and being first choice goalkeeper.

Well he isn't going to come in and say "all the other keepers are clowns so I am confident of my no 1 position 😂

David Black
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Left Back who slotted very capably into central defence towards the end of his career (primarily when Levein did his knee for the 2nd time).

Brian Whittaker produced the greatest goal line clearance I have ever seen. It was a bicycle kick against Aberdeen at Tynecastle at the Gorgie Road end, maybe a cup tie.  

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

Great signing, hopefully he can develop Harry Stone into a top class keeper. I’m sure Harry Stone will be delighted with this signing too! 

And he made specific reference to the young keepers as well.

17 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Brilliant news. 

As mentioned above, by miles the best keeper we've had since Craig Gordon. He might not be quite as agile as he was in his prime but I think a fair few folk are going to be pleasantly suprised by how much he has improved his kicking and general decision making. 

Not sure about the kicking aspect good keeper for sure but still dodgy at distribution 

3fingersreid
17 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

i was a bairn at time he played for us, but didn’t he play in a midfield with Black, Mackay & Berry?

He became an agent when he had his accident?

He played the ball into the middle for big Dave McPherson to challenge bonnar in the 1988 cup semi final , given that hampden was still terracing at that time , it was one of the greatest bounces ever after a goal , didn’t finish well for us tho sadly 

anyway , welcome home Craig 👍🏻

Craig's first words on arrival at Tynecastle...........""where's Vlad & the Plonker""....?.....😆.....

Famous 1874
9 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

Can’t say otherwise I suppose😂😂

Could have no hands and still be better than Zlamal and Doyle

baxterd1974
11 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

Should have hammered the existing GK's? Have a word, it's soundbite stuff.

baxterd1974
9 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Not sure about the kicking aspect good keeper for sure but still dodgy at distribution 

I'll settle for someone keeping the ball out of the net at this stage, we're not Man City 

25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Had a quick look over there and they aren't happy. Once again they are going on about our finances and how we can afford his wages. Poor wee lambs. I really hope we win our case on Wednesday. I really want to stick it right up the lot of them.   

Aye, they're no the brightest to be fair! I might have the figures a wee bit inaccurate here  but, don't they just put in £125k a year while we put not short of that in a month? Poor souls know that Ron the Con is playing with them and there's nowt they can do about it. Love a good Hibs seethe!

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

"There are some good keepers here already" really Craig :rofl:

He meant Harry Stone

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd say that was probably Stendel's biggest mistake to be honest. Not so much by not getting Gordon or anyone else in (we don't know if it would've been feasible at the time) but by constantly playing Perreira, probably the most undecisive goalkeeper I think I've ever seen wearing a Hearts top in my 38 years of going to watch Hearts. I am in no way saying Zlamal or Doyle was the answer either, just that it would only have been fair at the time to give either of them an extended run and dropping Perreira. Neither were top drawer but Perreira definitely wasn't either. Must've been disheartening for the other two to keep watching Perreira make mistake after mistake and they couldn't do a thing about it. We don't know what was in his loan contract from Man Utd but i'd hate to have thought part of the deal was that he played every week. Anyway, we move on, and thankfully Perreira has. One or both of the others next please.

Hopefully one day Stendel will speak at length about his time here and explain the crack with Pereira. I find it baffling that he’d stick with him for as long as he did. It doesn’t add up

Ted Hastings
Just now, baxterd1974 said:

Should have hammered the existing GK's? Have a word, it's soundbite stuff.

Ach i know that, was a tongue in cheek post, he needs to work with them so some diplomacy is required.

Be like walking into the office on your first day and saying everyone in your department are utter mince :lol:

One or two teases on here mentioning Jimmy Dunne to boot on a CG thread...

Dont!!!

Just dont!!!!!!

🤩😍

Bazzas right boot

Still the 2nd best keeper in Scotland.

Welcome home lad.

Massive improvement from what we have.

to all the hibs looking in..... skint.....:robboyas:

Fair doos to signing for us now, if in the championship surely his Scotland days are numbered.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Hopefully one day Stendel will speak at length about his time here and explain the crack with Pereira. I find it baffling that he’d stick with him for as long as he did. It doesn’t add up

Yes, I always thought there was something strange behind it but, maybe he just thought Doyle or Zlamal wasn't up to it, maybe he was right but I just felt that watching mistake after mistake wouldn't have done either of their confidence much good. Would've only been  fair to treat them all equally one way or another no matter how good or bad they would've done.

We’ve had a few great keepers in my time going to Tynecastle. From Henry to Annti Niemi to big Rousset but Craig Gordon tops them all. Great to see him back.

I suspect Bobby will be on his way.  Can't imagine him being happy in the knowledge that he'll play 2nd fiddle and with Harry Stone waiting in the wings.  Doyle is more likely to sit on his contract.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Yes, I always thought there was something strange behind it but, maybe he just thought Doyle or Zlamal wasn't up to it, maybe he was right but I just felt that watching mistake after mistake wouldn't have done either of their confidence much good. Would've only been  fair to treat them all equally one way or another no matter how good or bad they would've done.

I reckon there was a clause in the loan contract that he had to play a certain amount of games. Otherwise his inclusions made no sense

Heartsofgold

Would love Jimmy Dunne back but Burnley have just triggered his extension option on his contract.  Bit of a pisser but you never know.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I suspect Bobby will be on his way.  Can't imagine him being happy in the knowledge that he'll play 2nd fiddle and with Harry Stone waiting in the wings.  Doyle is more likely to sit on his contract.

Yeah and tbh, Doyle is perfect back up. 

He'll not complain, do his best when asked. 

Bobby will surely end up back home, he will want a last gig. 

41 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

i was a bairn at time he played for us, but didn’t he play in a midfield with Black, Mackay & Berry?

He became an agent when he had his accident?

he played at left back if memory serves me correctly.  Our back 4 of the 86/season was mainly 

kidd. Jardine Levein whittAker

Scored a bizarre goal against Celtic in the cup semi final in 88.  Ball had been cleared from a corner way out, whittaker punted it long in to the box and McPherson and Bonner both jumped and missed it and it sailed straight in!  If only the ref had called the game at 85 mins....

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

I reckon there was a clause in the loan contract that he had to play a certain amount of games. Otherwise his inclusions made no sense

Possibly yes, but it's never a good thing for another club to dictate who you can and can't play, and if that was the clause/deal in the contract then Levein had a lot to answer for. We may never know but we move on now.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah and tbh, Doyle is perfect back up. 

He'll not complain, do his best when asked. 

Bobby will surely end up back home, he will want a last gig. 

My thoughts exactly.

28 minutes ago, David Black said:

Brian Whittaker produced the greatest goal line clearance I have ever seen. It was a bicycle kick against Aberdeen at Tynecastle at the Gorgie Road end, maybe a cup tie.  

I mind him hitting the ball directly into the pie stand behind the goals. 

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If bringing back Craig annoys you it’ll be worth it just for your seethe.

😋

Nah I’m a hypocrite and we’ve just signed a very good experienced goalie 👍

2 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

he played at left back if memory serves me correctly.  Our back 4 of the 86/season was mainly 

kidd. Jardine Levein whittAker

Scored a bizarre goal against Celtic in the cup semi final in 88.  Ball had been cleared from a corner way out, whittaker punted it long in to the box and McPherson and Bonner both jumped and missed it and it sailed straight in!  If only the ref had called the game at 85 mins....

I remember very little of that game, but the last 5 minutes are still the stuff of nightmares. Horrible.

14 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

One or two teases on here mentioning Jimmy Dunne to boot on a CG thread...

Dont!!!

Just dont!!!!!!

🤩😍

If we sign Jimmy again I'd be so happy, did great first time around and if only we had been able to keep him on loan. Got time for players who actually take to the club, the history etc. He did. He even saw the War Of Two Halves twice.

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Would love Jimmy Dunne back but Burnley have just triggered his extension option on his contract.  Bit of a pisser but you never know.

He's exactly the player we need at the back.

Halkett for me is better as a defensive midfielder that likes to link with forwards and midfielders, Berra is getting on in age (we don't even know if he'll be back regardless of his contract length) and Souttar's injury problems could make him a bit of a doubt/risk. Definitely need a Jimmy Dunne type in there. That would be a cracking signing.