Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

47 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The key thing from that statement is he wants to play games. At Celtic or championship teams then likely to be a back up!

sunderland, now league 1 have lost mclaughlin. a lot of their fans want him back

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

sunderland, now league 1 have lost mclaughlin. a lot of their fans want him back

Does his personal situation not make him more likely to stay in Scotland. Might be wrong, but sure he is split from the Mother of kids, so moving away would be moving from them. 

A couple of seasons ago Chelsea tried to get him as back up and he wouldn’t go back down. I know Sunderland isn’t London, but a 60 minute flight is as easy as a 3 hour drive 

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Screenshot_20200628-191236_Chrome.jpg

To be fair, Celtic rejuvenated his career.  He was going nowhere down south.

That said, I must be in the minority on here.  I’m not enamoured by his potential return.  It’ll cost us a lot of money (he won’t come cheap) and I’d rather we went for a younger keeper (with experience) and distributed the wages more evenly over improving the squad as a whole.  Some folk on here are talking like he’s the only keeper out there.  He’s good, very good in fact, no doubting that, but at the end of the day it’s a 37 year old with 2-3 years left in him looking for a decent wedge.  If Celtic offered him what he wanted, he wouldn’t give us the steam off his piss.  

Ricardo Shillyshally
7 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

That said, I must be in the minority on here.  I’m not enamoured by his potential return.  It’ll cost us a lot of money (he won’t come cheap) and I’d rather we went for a younger keeper (with experience) and distributed the wages more evenly over improving the squad as a whole.  Some folk on here are talking like he’s the only keeper out there.  He’s good, very good in fact, no doubting that, but at the end of the day it’s a 37 year old with 2-3 years left in him looking for a decent wedge.  If Celtic offered him what he wanted, he wouldn’t give us the steam off his piss.  

Spot on.

I think a lot of the love for him coming back is based on the knowledge that he's a solid choice compared to the utter dross we've had to endure in the last few years.

Gordon Ramsay

Looks like he will end up here. Not too fussed about the Celtic thing. He needed a lifeline and they gave him it. 

Think we could have got a better, younger keeper though. Probably cheaper too. 

8 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

For me, as I said before here, he is the obvious choice as he is still a very good goalkeeper. 

But also he is the perfect mentor to young Harry Stone. 

Like you said, Gordon has 2-3yrs. And Stone should be 1st team ready in the same time. 

It's that combination of factors which makes him the best choice I believe

Gordons had less caps in the last 6 years than he had in a 6 year spell before his injury spell, 2 years.   

14 caps during his most successful period in his career (CELTIC) .

35 caps in 6 years when he was younger.  since 2005 to 2110.

If that's right, what the **** is that about.  Surely he wont get ahead of McGregor, McLaughlin or Marshall.

He better make sure he says he wants to come to Hearts first and foremost.  His international career will be hard to get into.  I am not wanting another player joining saying they only want to get back playing international career bollox.

Hope you make the right choice Gordon 👍

9 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Gordons had less caps in the last 6 years than he had in a 6 year spell before his injury spell, 2 years.   

If that's right, what the **** is that about.  Surely he wont get ahead of McGregor, McLaughlin or Marshall.

He better make sure he says he wants to come to Hearts first and foremost.  His international career will be hard to get into.  I am not wanting another player joining saying they only want to get back playing international career bollox.

You’re not exactly Mr current affairs. McGregor retired and McLaughlin will be number 2 next year. He’s also simply a better goalie than Marshall so if he comes and plays then he has every chance. 

signs tomorrow 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

On a side note about caps, when people look back at Scotland goalkeepers in years to come, the fact that  Marshall got 34 caps while Gordon and McGregor were around will be incrediable. Marshall is a decent goalkeeper but he got lucky, Gordon's injurys stopped him being a regular number 1 for over a decade. While McGregor's time at Hull held him back. 

Gordon is a good signing for us if he comes. As @Barack says, this is a long term signing.

Also, being at Celtic and celebrating winning with them doesn't bother me, some people need to realise how people live in the real world, its easy to say that they would never play for Celtic if they were PHM, try actually being in that position offered a contract with Celtic after being out of the game for 2 years.

1 hour ago, gorgie rools said:

Hope he's not cup tied and can play in the semi against the vermin. And the final

Was on bench v. Patrick in January.

Not sure if Bain was injured or Lennon making sure he was if he left Celtic in that window.

Edited by DETTY29

The cup tied rules can get to **** if the SFA seriously expect the semis and final to go ahead.

Otherwise let's just not bother and pull out.

If CG does return as with anyone between the sticks , he'll get my full backing. He'll be good for a couple of seasons with BZ as Backup..
Again, only if he returns i hope he helps HS in the same manner as AN did when he was coming through the ranks.

Would also like to see a better GKC as Gallacher couldn't velcro Stevie wood's gloves IMHO..

24 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Was on bench v. Patrick in January.

Not sure if Bain was injured or Lennon making sure he was if he left Celtic in that window.

I think you have to play to be cup tied 

2 hours ago, kila said:

A mere quick thanks to their fans and that was it. Didn't say they were the greatest or anything. Just a 'thanks'.

🤷‍♂️

Looks like a fairly textbook thing.

Agree with this.  I don't enjoy ex-players playing for or praising the Old Firm but that just looks like Gordon being respectful.

Edited by Stanley_

I may be wrong but I expect Clarke would treat him fairly regardless of the league he was playing in.  Also, there is plenty of precedent for goalkeepers his age excelling at international level.

Let’s be honest here.

All Scottish football is of a very low standard, so Premier league, or Championship, shouldn’t really make a massive difference to a goalkeeper playing for the wonderfully successful Scottish national side!

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Let’s be honest here.

All Scottish football is of a very low standard, so Premier league, or Championship, shouldn’t really make a massive difference to a goalkeeper playing for the wonderfully successful Scottish national side!

Let’s be honest Morgan.  If this was a former Hibs player still dropping his boxers to his ankles we would be laughing our ***** off. 

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

Absolutely bang on .............

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Let’s be honest Morgan.  If this was a former Hibs player still dropping his boxers to his ankles we would be laughing our ***** off. 

You’d be laughing if Scot Brown with probably 2 good years left in him was willing to leave celtic and possibly drop down a division to play for Hibs in a position they desperately needed more quality in? most people would be “shit that’s a decent signing”

Edited by ToqueJambo

Thought Police

I ******* love Craig Gordon. Folk need to have a reality check re. his Celtic career. Pretty sure Naisy has good memories of his Rangers days.

23 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I think you have to play to be cup tied 

Danny Grainger was cup tied for Gretna in 2006 despite only being in bench when on loan to Brechin for a cup tie.

Dunfermline were chucked out then reinstated for a replay when someone was in the bench for a game, but didn't come on, I think.

49 minutes ago, kila said:

The cup tied rules can get to **** if the SFA seriously expect the semis and final to go ahead.

Otherwise let's just not bother and pull out.

Yep.  We may have a new team.  Missing players, or having cup tied ones.   We also may not have played any football for around seven months.  

Edited by Paolo

Scottie Wanshot.
On 21/06/2020 at 23:24, OTT said:

Had Celtic allowed him to leave when he wanted to in January we'd not have been in 12th when the season was called (IMO). 

A good solid signing that will benefit Harry Stone's development tenfold. 

totally agree.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 21/06/2020 at 23:42, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I had forgotten Doyle was still on our books.

maybe Pereira will come back.🤣

jamboinglasgow
49 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Dear Celtic I’m one of the bhoys I love yoooo.

Hi hearts.

sick.

What do you want him to say to a club that he has been at for six years, won a lot of trophies with and has had good times at?  "screw you, I was just earning a paycheck from you." Who Fing well cares what he says to the Celtic fans, all I care about is that he plays well when he comes to us and having seen his whole career I am certain he will. 

How the F can any Hearts fan have a problem with Craig Gordon or the prospect of him returning?...Jeez, we have some right idiots on here.

If we had 2 players with over 50 Scotland caps each in the team, and some folk would moan that they are "too old"...unbelievable muppety behaviour.

The Future's Maroon

Anyone against this really has me scratching my head, no brainer 

Couldn't really give a shit who players previously played for as long as they're better than what we have. 

We've been dismal at signing goalkeepers so it's a good signing in my view.

Like school bairns on here, banging on about him being of a Tic mind or being passed it....🤯🤪

If he comes, we can consider ourselves lucky tbh....

Fingers crosses he returns and finishes his impressive career with us....😊

colinmaroon
40 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

How the F can any Hearts fan have a problem with Craig Gordon or the prospect of him returning?...Jeez, we have some right idiots on here.

If we had 2 players with over 50 Scotland caps each in the team, and some folk would moan that they are "too old"...unbelievable muppety behaviour.

Not a lot of Hearts fans on here who don't think it's a good signing. 

48 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

What do you want him to say to a club that he has been at for six years, won a lot of trophies with and has had good times at?  "screw you, I was just earning a paycheck from you." Who Fing well cares what he says to the Celtic fans, all I care about is that he plays well when he comes to us and having seen his whole career I am certain he will. 

No I would want him to shut the duck up if coming back.  Stop being such a wimp. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

You’d be laughing if Scot Brown with probably 2 good years left in him was willing to leave celtic and possibly drop down a division to play for Hibs in a position they desperately needed more quality in? most people would be “shit that’s a decent signing”

Brown isn’t finished tho.  I would hate if we all dropped our trousers to that ***** too. 

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

100% where I am on him, and have been that way since he was mentioned in January. Not denying his ability and he instantly improves our squad, but I think there's better value for money out there and that we could realistically sign two suitably able keepers for the money it'd cost to sign Gordon. 

2 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

For me, as I said before here, he is the obvious choice as he is still a very good goalkeeper. 

But also he is the perfect mentor to young Harry Stone. 

Like you said, Gordon has 2-3yrs. And Stone should be 1st team ready in the same time. 

It's that combination of factors which makes him the best choice I believe

Harry is good enough Gordon will be whispering him in his ear to move to Celtic.  That good enough for you? 

27 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Harry is good enough Gordon will be whispering him in his ear to move to Celtic.  That good enough for you? 

Utter shite to suit your daft wee agenda. 

5 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Couldn't have said it better. I know it will sound brutal but I don't want to see us giving a big money contract to another player who's well past his best and in the twilight of his career as I understand we did with Berra. If we do go down that road we'll just undo all the good Daniel did in his short time with us. 

jambostuart
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Couldn't have said it better. I know it will sound brutal but I don't want to see us giving a big money contract to another player who's well past his best and in the twilight of his career as I understand we did with Berra. If we do go down that road we'll just undo all the good Daniel did in his short time with us. 

Agreed. I'm not sure who a suitable goalkeeping replacement would be, but I have large concerns over a squad of Berra, Naismith, Gordon being key players in our squad next season, given our injury worries.

That being said, I worry for anyone in our team these days regardless of age. Souttar, Halkett, Haring... Surely our injuries will be a thing of the past next season? We've had more than our fair share of bad luck and for what it's worth, with the exception of Paterson's horrific injury I don't recall any bad injuries under Neilson 

Edit: Just realised Paterson's injury was under Cathro...

Edited by jambostuart

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Hang on a minute here (also not having a go at you personally JB, you're just the last and easiest post to quote). I seem to recall a general outpouring on here when he left that we all wished him the best, and there was a genuine hope and desire to see him come back and end his career at Tynecastle?

Now it's all 'past his best', 'could do more harm than good', 'we can do better'. 

Where the **** has this come from? Is this all because he went to them and acted like an arse on a couple of occasions? Jesus wept. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's not as if we are currently rolling in decent keepers for the upcoming season is it?

Maybe when Nielson is installed on 1st July his first signing will be Gordon And that will be down to publicity at the right time to maximise the general good feeling amongst the fans And may even generate more ticket sales only my opinion though 

John Findlay
5 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Stop talking bollocks.

ford donald
48 minutes ago, samgolden said:

Maybe when Nielson is installed on 1st July his first signing will be Gordon And that will be down to publicity at the right time to maximise the general good feeling amongst the fans And may even generate more ticket sales only my opinion though 

Sounds like a good plan!

6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

🚀 

One thing I would say for Gordon, is that a guy I know who supports Celtic used to try and swear blind he was a Hun. His reasoning? He always tried harder against Celtic, and came out his box at the end of games to try and score against his team. Then when Celtic were sniffing around before he moved to Sunderland, he rejected the prospect out of hand as it would be a “sideways step”. Many years ago now, right enough.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Never been impressed by Gordon when I watched him before he got dropped for Forster. If we do sign him I hope he won't be at the higher end of the wage bracket. Not the keeper he once was.

Can’t help but think CG would be short term in relation to playing and a longer term view for coaching. Can see the same with Naismith in the later years of his contract and the same with Berra 

building for the future with youth and a strong back room team over seen by RN

7 hours ago, Last Laff said:

No I would want him to shut the duck up if coming back.  Stop being such a wimp. 

😂 Here he is. 

Guaranteed if you changed the words ‘Celtic’ to ‘Rangers’ in that statement you wouldn’t have a problem.

Genuine question, are season tickets for Ibrox that much more expensive than ours? Can only be the reason you hang about here.

27 minutes ago, 80bob said:

Can’t help but think CG would be short term in relation to playing and a longer term view for coaching. Can see the same with Naismith in the later years of his contract and the same with Berra 

building for the future with youth and a strong back room team over seen by RN

Way I see it too. I've slight reservations about Craig, but one thing we know is he has resilience and drive and may just have one last run in him.

Two great seasons while getting ready to pass the gloves to Harry sounds good to me.

If Haring isn't a definite, we need to go all out to find a strong CM imo. That's the biggest hole in our squad. Look at the diff having Sibbick made for that too brief spell (before our usual luck kicked in).