Robbie Neilson is back

Lord Beni of Gorgie

underwaterwoodwelder

Welcome back Robbie i always thought it was strange that some of my fellow Jambos pushed you out.

i thought he did a cracking job first time around. 

Excellent appointment well done budge. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

Just now, iantjambo said:

Pointless because it doesnt suit your agenda?

Did any of Robbie Neilsons teams go into freefall the way Leveins did?

No agenda. Levein was top of the league, should we appoint him? Levein was also “pulling the strings” in the championship and in the prem under Neilson, people only started to care about him being involved when it started to get boring watching Hearts. Actual, since Neilson moved away from Levein he’s been garbage. MK Dons fans chased him. United fans seem buzzing he’s gone. A bang average manager. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah if Stendel has pied us then I understand the need to get someone in quickly, just wish we’d had a bit of creativity with the appointment. He’ll be gone within two years, chased by the fans and we will be back looking for someone like Stendel. 

That is also a bit of concern for me, how long he chooses to stick around. I accept the risk of a manager leaving if they come with a certain level of excitement. However, when you employ a steady pair of hands, you don't really want one who has a track record of jumping ship, which of course, Neilson has. 

5 minutes ago, One five said:

Imo no matter what you think about RN arriving back at our beloved Tynecastle we should support him 100% , if the results don't go well and are not good enough whatever league we are playing in then Is the  time to be negative with him . I would have been ok for DS to be given more time but he is not here now ! so let's all move forward with a  positive attitude however this fiasco with the spfl ends, this is my look on it anyway .

FTH
Hearts forever 

Wish I could be this positive.  I’m going to struggle to support a manager that calls throwing a 2-0 lead away against hibs a money spinner and then ****s of to MK Dons. 

Gutted. 

No agenda. Levein was top of the league, should we appoint him? Levein was also “pulling the strings” in the championship and in the prem under Neilson, people only started to care about him being involved when it started to get boring watching Hearts. Actual, since Neilson moved away from Levein he’s been garbage. MK Dons fans chased him. United fans seem buzzing he’s gone. A bang average manager. 

Did any of Robbie's teams go into freefall the way Leveins did?

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I always struggle with a debate on style...in the context of Scottish football who is actually playing a style of football that is appealing? What does style even mean? Is it just code for attacking? 

This. The answer is of course "no-one" - not even Celtic with their millions. Neilson had us scoring loads of goals and winning loads of points and that's what folk really want. Or should.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Surprised by this for sure, more because of the situation with the trumpets from Tannadice. I don't think it signals we've given up on anything, maybe just whatever league we're in, we need to plan. Remember, regardless of court action etc. we'll have no gate money and may have to dig deep for legal costs. Not delighted at the thought of RB style football but at least there is someone in place. I would say we couldn't afford Stendel. We should get behind the club regardless. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

For those really huffing about the return of Robbie, here is a phone number for you: 0845 257 2124.

That is Execair Private Jet Hire, 111 Georges Street, EH2.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

MK Dons. 

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Yes. 1 win in 11 at MK Dons before he left saw them fall into the relegation zone.

1 minute ago, Shanks said:

Wish I could be this positive.  I’m going to struggle to support a manager that calls throwing a 2-0 lead away against hibs a money spinner and then ****s of to MK Dons. 

Gutted. 

About time to get over this. Has any other manger had so much shit over a draw at home.

5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Soooo who do you think recommended him to Budge for the job?

Just now, Taffin said:

Yes. 1 win in 11 at MK Dons before he left saw them fall into the relegation zone.

True but how many coaches are successful at every club they go to?

Arthur Morgan
1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

True but how many coaches are successful at every club they go to?

Exactly. Look at McInnes. Plenty managers have went down there and failed.

MK Dons. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I meant Hearts teams ffs. You knew what i meant.

Under Robbie we: Pissed the championship (which contained Rangers and Hibs), finished 3rd in the premiership and were sitting 2nd when he was hounded out.

Scottie Wanshot.
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Fishing with worms or tiddlers tonight, Scott?

having problems with my crabs.😁

Donald Ford

I think this is a potentially disastrous appointment.

One bad result/game and the fans will be screaming for his head.

He’ll probably get us out of the championship first time of asking if we end up there, and he probably wouldn’t have us in a relegation battle If we’re in the Premiership. He’s probably viewed as a safe pair of hands and maybe that’s just what we need for a while

Edited by JimmyCant

Under Robbie we: Pissed the championship (which contained Rangers and Hibs), finished 3rd in the premiership and were sitting 2nd when he was hounded out.

I didn't know what you meant as you wrote any of Robbie's teams...one of which was MK Dons. 

He wasn't hounded out, thankfully, because if he was he wouldn't and shouldn't be back. He left because he wanted to. He's a bigger personality than to allow himself to be hounded out by a minority of morons. 

Old Pivotonian
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Postmodern grammar at its worst.  "Are" is the only correct verb in that sentence the way it's constructed.

Would it not also be acceptable to say 'The Club is delighted to announce that it has....'. I'm pretty sure that is what the original objector had in mind. 

maroonedinoz

I admit to being a bit baffled by everything that is going on back in Scotland football wise just now.

This just adds to my amazement!

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

And? Claudio Ranieri took Leicester into freefall into the relegation zone just a few months after winning them the EPL title.

There's really no point analysing managers like this. None of them are constantly successful. Every single appointment is a gamble, whether it's a complete newbie or an old timer. Neilson did a fantastic job with us first time and he's coming back with another 3 years under his belt.

I really hope Hearts fans get behind him. It would be incredible if they didn't. Also worth pointing out that even though his time at MK Dons ended badly, he started well, and has started well at all 3 of his clubs, with all three being in precarious situations at the time he took over. (Stendel for example did not do that with us). Neilson has a proven record of being able to build or rebuild or tweak teams and get players playing for him VERY quickly, which is exactly what we need.

PhoenixHearts

Christ, this came out of ****ing nowhere.

Scrolled past a photo of Neilson on the Hearts Instagram and thought maybe it's his birthday or something... Read the caption thought I'd quantum leaped back to 2014.

It's a shame for our Daniel, really thought he could have built a decent squad in the championship.

That said, Neilson is a club legend. Was always a favourite player of mine and he was a fantastic manager in his first spell. Yes, that's including post championship when he had us competing second place in the top flight. I know plenty of folks won't admit that to themselves.

I said the other week if Stendel's days were up, Neilson would be my one and only (realistic) choice to replace him. None of this Neil McCann pish.

Also love getting one up Utd. Will be even better when they get knocked back down to the championship.

7 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Gutted. 

Yep we all where mate but we won’t get it changed now we will have to live with it for the time being whatever we think.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, waynefozzie said:

Just really disappointed. Feels like we're basically right back where the Budge era started. Grim times.

Unbeaten in the Championship then back in Europe at the first attempt? Aye, that was horrific.

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

FB_IMG_1592768464849.jpg

No doubt he’s a great Jambo but just WTF is going on?

are we conceding defeat and now in the division below already?

just WTF?

colinmaroon
1 minute ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Would it not also be acceptable to say 'The Club is delighted to announce that it has....'. I'm pretty sure that is what the original objector had in mind. 

Yes it can be used in the collective pronoun sense.

9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

About time to get over this. Has any other manger had so much shit over a draw at home.

I will get over it when he actually has a better than 1 win in 6 attempts against the shite :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I didn't know what you meant as you wrote any of Robbie's teams...one of which was MK Dons. 

He wasn't hounded out, thankfully, because if he was he wouldn't and shouldn't be back. He left because he wanted to. He's a bigger personality than to allow himself to be hounded out by a minority of morons. 

You don’t think that the morons who hired the plane had any impact on his decision?

jamboinglasgow

Welcome back Robbie.

Certainly when I woke up this morning I didn't expect by the end of the day Robbie Neilson would be our manager. I did really want Stendel to stay, I thought he brought something different and the style he wanted to play promised something exciting to watch. But finances were always going to dictate whether he would stay or not.

Neilson is much better than we have seen linked to us in recent weeks. His domestic record can not be knocked, win the Championship with Rangers and Hibs in it at a canter, finish third in first season, leave when we are second in the league (admittedly having played a game more than others.) I see people attacking him on cup competitions, of the five we made realistic attempts (the Challenge cup we clearly did not want to focus on) he lost to Celtic 3 times (twice as a Championship side), Hibs once (the infamous games) and lost to St Johnstone once in the league cup.

He did well with bring a professional edge to Hearts, something I was looking to Stendel to implement. He brought in the triple sessions for example. He played an exciting style of football in the Championship but when he went into the Premiership it was changed to a more cautious style which suggested adapting to a tougher competition and brought a lot of changes in personel with differing results. Players like Rossi, Djoum, Cowie and Souttar were successes, but that same season Oshinawa, Reilly, Swanson and Juanma were ultimately failures of varying degrees. 

For me I want to see us win games again first of all, hate having seen since January 2019 only seen 8 league games from 47 games. Then next is to win with a bit of entertainment. If some have suggested it is because of Levein that he became more defensive, then it will be shown to be true or not when Robbie manages. I want to see a Sporting director appointed who can spot a player (or at least organise a recruiment team who can spot them) as that is going to make or break Robbie's return.

Also one thing I said before this announcement and a reason I wanted Stendel to stay is that I want to see youth develop and a manager who can make a player who comes in be better than before. I look back at Levein's time and struggle to find a single player who I can think improved. Stendel got great performances out of Clare, Moore, Henderson etc who people had written off before. I cant remember if Neilson was able to achieve this, does anyone know?

I normally think you shouldn't come back after you have done so well the first time. Levein has tarnished the achievement of his first managerial spell after coming back. But I thought we should have had Rudi back, and JJ back when he replaced Csaba and I was gladly proved wrong. Lets hope this is like the later two and not like the first one.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

And? Claudio Ranieri took Leicester into freefall into the relegation zone just a few months after winning them the EPL title.

There's really no point analysing managers like this. None of them are constantly successful. Every single appointment is a gamble, whether it's a complete newbie or an old timer. Neilson did a fantastic job with us first time and he's coming back with another 3 years under his belt.

I really hope Hearts fans get behind him. It would be incredible if they didn't. Also worth pointing out that even though his time at MK Dons ended badly, he started well, and has started well at all 3 of his clubs, with all three being in precarious situations at the time he took over. (Stendel for example did not do that with us). Neilson has a proven record of being able to build or rebuild or tweak teams and get players playing for him VERY quickly, which is exactly what we need.

And nothing. He asked a question and I answered it. Robbie Neilson's MK Dons went into freefall. I have no opinion on it though.

PhoenixHearts
6 minutes ago, waynefozzie said:

Just really disappointed. Feels like we're basically right back where the Budge era started. Grim times.

Tbf if we are back where the Budge era started and do end up going down, I wouldn't have it any other way. Neilson is the right man for the job in that regard. 

Except this time we won't let him walk and bring in a Cathro. That's when the train derailed.

You don’t think that the morons who hired the plane had any impact on his decision?

Why would he come back if they made him leave in the first place?  That doesn’t make sense at all. 

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do agree in regards to Stendel, and my preference would certainly have been for him to stay. But it sounds as though he has decided to head elsewhere sadly. I also agree that this won't help unite the support and risks splitting it badly again. As you say, one bad result against Hibs and there will be a not insignificant element hounding him.

Can't get my head around this. Stendel was generally appalling results-wise and folk are giving him incredible leeway. Yet Neilson is apparently already one poor derby result (which Stendel also had) away from the boot. OK, Stendel inherited Levein's squad, etc, etc but so will Neilson...

I despair of some Hearts fans sometimes.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Fxxx the SPFL
8 minutes ago, Donald Ford said:

I think this is a potentially disastrous appointment.

One bad result/game and the fans will be screaming for his head.

no we won't as there will be nobody in the stadium

Weakened Offender
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, James.

Yes, he was.

The Cup game was the turning point.

I think he will regret his comment after the match at Tynecastle. I imagine it was out of frustration more than anything else. They were very fortunate in the first match and rode their luck big time in the replay. 

9 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Finished 3rd in a premier league that didn’t contain Hibs or Rangers. He left because he felt MK Dons was a bigger club than Hearts and a route into the big clubs down south, he failed and came back up the road where he failed to get United out the Vida league first season. His record in cups is a joke. His derby record is a joke. I hope you are right about him, I hope he is a success. I genuinely do. 

500ClubCraig

Very pleased at today’s announcement, so much so that I’ve just spent my RyanAir refund (which I’ll probably get next year) renewing my Season Ticket.

Didn’t see this coming or even thought it would be an option.

As for DS exciting brand of football, think I watched most of his matches with hands across my eyes and left games with a sore throat from shouting at our players not for them. Talked a good game and not much more.

Think this will turn out to be a great piece of business 👍

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I will get over it when he actually has a better than 1 win in 6 attempts against the shite :thumbsup:

Ozturk's goal was a screamer though :laugh2:

23 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

the problem with Stendel was the players didn't have the skill to play his type of football.

Definitrly. Unfortunately DS took an uncomfortably long time to realise this. The occasional wins were fantastic but way too infrequent.

Even if we win our case, I expect us to be in the Championship, so Robbie is well capable of a drama free season, and then building from there.

They'll have had an impact simply by virtue of it having happened, but an insignificant one...at least I very much hope so. Otherwise he'll be off on his bike again very shortly. Whilst I'm disappointed by this development (as I liked Stendel and wanted to see where it would go) I'm a big fan of Robbie and view him with enough respect to believe he isn't so weak of mind that a small bunch of bams could make him leave his jobs with a stupid banner.

I'm guessing that decisions need to be made about players staying or leaving for next season. No one at the club to make those until today.