Robbie Neilson is back

Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Is he back cause we are staying in top flight and Utd aint coming up 😆

The Court can impose compensation if they find in Hearts favour. I do not believe they can reverse the decision to demote Hearts.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

King Of The Cat Cafe
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You mean it should say "I" instead of "we" ? 😂 It's completely normal for companies/businesses/football clubs to use first person like this.

As someone else pointed out, it is very American to use the first person singular, whereas in the UK (now) we more often use the collective.

If I had been writing that sentence in the first person it would have been "Heart of Midlothian Football Club is delighted to announce agreement has been reached with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager."

Or in the collective:

"Heart of Midlothian Football Club are delighted to announce that we have this evening agreed terms with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager." 

If you want to say "Heart of Midlothian Football Club is - that is fine.

It is the change from one to the other in the same sentence that gets my gorge rising.

On balance , even I would prefer the first example given.

I wonder who Budge sought advice off to go for a new manager? Or did she feel there was unfinished business and it was a no brainer?

Breaking it down, RN took us to third straight away. The away record wasn’t bad at all and we only lost 9 league matches.  We actually lost more at home but won more. It was a steady away record that help supplement the strong home form and high league placing.  

I’ll skip the obvious downsides but in respect of the league I remember us still being decent at home before he left but the away performances and form were starting to grate. 

He’ll get my backing as any Hearts manager should at the start and for a decent period to see how it pans out. No point going on about Stendel or anyone else now.

Onwards and upwards. 

5 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

I dont agree, i think it was a very small group that wanted Robbie out. The guys who hired the plane ( those 40+year old muppets who still hang around grooming the young team) where a small minority, they where pissed that some of the young team got banned from tynecastle by Queen Ann and also because we lost a couple of games to the hobo's.

Did they not get banned after Neilson had already left?

43 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I'm glad to have Robbie back, but seriously - that statement:

Heart of Midlothian Football Club is delighted to announce that we have this evening agreed terms with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager.

What sort of idiot writes this guff?

If you start a sentence referring to the club in the singular: "is" then you should not change it to the plural: "we" in the same sentence.

Amateur hour in our PR department

English, proper English, is now a dead language.

Sad, but oh so predictable.

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

We were second* in the league when he left**. It all went tits up avter that.

Welcome back Robbie.

*joint second with Rangers, Aberdeen only two points behind with two games in hand.

** For Milton Keynes ****ing Dons. 

25 minutes ago, Australis said:

Who was it with no Sporting Director currently at our club? 

Imagine a scenario. Ann agrees with a certain chap to become Sporting Director. Please don't announce it yet, he says, wait until such a date in a few days' time, for personal and/or professional reasons. However, he says, if you're in agreement, I would recommend Robbie as the next manager but I would advise you to go and get him asap while conditions are ripe.

No, says Ann, I can't do that, Australis will get all confused. ;)

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Why would you let it drive a wedge?

A bit selfish if people do

I think kickback tonight is proving me correct 

JamboGraham
9 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Amazing how Levein gets blamed for Neilsons horrendous style yet the United fans moan about the exact same thing. Strange that. 

I always struggle with a debate on style...in the context of Scottish football who is actually playing a style of football that is appealing? What does style even mean? Is it just code for attacking? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

All a bit of a mad rush. On a Sunday,  a special one. 

Something is up

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Takis Fysass surely

Please let it be Takis

I don't care who it is, as long he's Greek, played for Hearts and won the Euros!!!

Didnt realise he'd gone into politics!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I think kickback tonight is proving me correct 

Kickback I never find matches with people I travel to games with or speak to at matches 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

So, the support was united for about a week !! Split half and half on this appointment and at each other’s throats again no doubt

Not sure what to make of this. First thought is Ann Budge going back to what she knows, even if some of it wasn’t great. Like a bad marriage.

He’ll be a better manager than when he left. He’ll need to be. He’ll get a chance but if he bottles it against Hibs one more time he’ll be slaughtered.

How will he be a better manager? Useless at MK Dons and took two seasons to get out the championship with United. MK Dons fans, United fans and Hearts fans all moaning about the dull style of football. Terrible cup record. Terrible derby record. Can’t see any positives with this appointment. Genuinely gutted. 

Boyces beard
Just now, 1874robbo said:

Did they not get banned after Neilson had already left?

Possibly bud, but im sure some lads where banned before Robbie left.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I always struggle with a debate on style...in the context of Scottish football who is actually playing a style of football that is appealing? What does style even mean? Is it just code for attacking? 

I don't think anyone found Boxing Day Derby entertainment. 

Always felt it was a harsh criticism,  though I agree some games he went cautious it was exception rather than the rule 

12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Amazing how Levein gets blamed for Neilsons horrendous style yet the United fans moan about the exact same thing. Strange that. 

His horrendous style was better than Levein and Cathro but not Stendel but what's the point in style with no substance.

There was no problems at all with our style in the championship, maybe Utds squad wasn't as good as ours was. Style changed when we got promoted but the opposition was harder to beat.

I think folk got used to winning easily in the championship and unrealistically expected to steam roller everyone in the premiership, then huffed when we turned into a bog standard top 3/4/5/6 team.

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

What does it all mean. 

So many things to stir the imagination 

Looking forward to the nuts and bolts of this.

Budge had just said we needed a DOF before we can appoint a first team coach...... Sound familiar.....?

Scottie Wanshot.

Well he will be a LOT better then Stendel. I just wonder why he left Hearts in the first place. ????

any ideas.

I gave Levein far too much rope - which he duly went on to well and truly hung himself with. 

So my view will probably end up wrong but

We are relegated. We must get straight back up to Premier. 

Who is the last Manager to win the Championship (by default technically but was going to). Who won us the Championship with Hibs and Rangers in it. 

We have played eye-bleeding football since he left. 

I’d accept not the most attractive to see us win again sometimes and get us promoted. 

End of. 

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

if he bottles it against Hibs one more time he’ll be slaughtered.

James, James, James....

Is there a new record you could play?

Perhaps?

Please?

heatonjambo

This is nuts

had a couple of beers, went for a snooze. Checked the bbc website for the Liverpool score and noticed the Neilson headlines.

thought I was drunk.

not sure how to take this at all. Surely this has been rumbling along in the background for some time.

i really wanted Stendel to stay. For us to do something different.

for the whole SPFL to flop and change happen.

just seems reconstruction will happen, Robbie in place and nothing will change.

i think it’s a bad move, and I wanted Robbie to stay first time around.

any fingers crossed.

i wonder what i8 thinks of it!!

7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

How will he be a better manager? Useless at MK Dons and took two seasons to get out the championship with United. MK Dons fans, United fans and Hearts fans all moaning about the dull style of football. Terrible cup record. Terrible derby record. Can’t see any positives with this appointment. Genuinely gutted. 

I think he was pretty good first time around, I think he'll have improved. I'm disappointed but far from gutted. It does concern me that he was so bad at MK. I didn't really see any of his United team but had assumed he was well liked by their fans. Interesting how negatively he was spoken about on here though in regards to the celebration pics etc when United where promoted but now it's all sunshine and rainbows. Personally I found the negavity about that petty and thought good on him for getting them up. I reckon he'll be a solid and unspectacular appointment, probably what we need right now.

Edited by Taffin

8 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Yes - but with Hibs it’s associated with feckin it up! 👍

2 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

Well he will be a LOT better then Stendel. I just wonder why he left Hearts in the first place. ????

any ideas.

Fishing with worms or tiddlers tonight, Scott?

21 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The horrendous style that saw us sitting second when he left?

It all went uphill after he left eh? 🙄

Marty Byrde

Many Hearts fans aren't comfortable with something other than terrible football, that much is plain. The association seems to be that playing football worth watching means losing, therefore,  one could assume playing absolute dreck will see us winning? 

I think Neilson is a negative coach and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to watch his 'brand' of the game, I remember being quite bored of him and his tenure by the end and wasn't exactly disappointed to see him go. 

I'll caveat this post by saying I hope Neilson is a bit more cavalier than before without being shackled to Levein but I suspect as he has left a younger version of him has just come back in the door.

Welcome back to the club anyway and good luck.

Just now, iantjambo said:

Stop it, Ian.

No sense allowed tonight.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

As someone else pointed out, it is very American to use the first person singular, whereas in the UK (now) we more often use the collective.

If I had been writing that sentence in the first person it would have been "Heart of Midlothian Football Club is delighted to announce agreement has been reached with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager."

Or in the collective:

"Heart of Midlothian Football Club are delighted to announce that we have this evening agreed terms with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager." 

If you want to say "Heart of Midlothian Football Club is - that is fine.

It is the change from one to the other in the same sentence that gets my gorge rising.

On balance , even I would prefer the first example given.

I don't think it's that clear cut because they've written it as "Heart of Midlothian Football Club" aka "The club". You wouldn't say "The club are" though. If they'd used "Hearts", "Jam Tarts" or even just "Heart of Midlothian" it definitely would have to be "are". Not sure it's right or wrong tbh. Being consistent is the main thing. I also prefer your first alternative, bit I would have written it as "Hearts are delighted to have given a big GIRUY to Dundee Utd and the rest of Scottish football with the appointment..."

Scottie Wanshot.
2 hours ago, RudiIsGod said:

Let's get this right. We wanted Daniel Stendel because of his attacking style of play, had an opportunity to really build something good this summer and come back stronger. Instead we appoint a guy we wanted rid of for the eye bleeding football and Hibs capitulation. A guy Dundee United fans were losing patience with? I hope to god he brings Shankland with him. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

the problem with Stendel was the players didn't have the skill to play his type of football.

Just now, Taffin said:

I think he was pretty good first time around, I think he'll have improved. I'm disappointed but far from gutted. It does concern me that he was so bad at MK. I didn't really see any of his United team but had assumed he was well liked by their fans. Interestingly how negatively he was spoken about on here  in regards to the celebration pics etc when United where promoted but now it's all sunshine and rainbows. Personally I found the negavity about that petty and thought good on him for getting them up. I reckon he'll be a solid and unspectacular appointment, probably what we need right now.

What we need right now in my opinion is and was Stendel. Someone with a style that excites the fans and a drive to change bad habits. In my opinion of course. Middle of the road, bang average Scottish manager, who’s all ready been at the club is the last thing we needed. Like appointing Levein. The first negative result and the fans will be split. Tynie will be like it is now, poisonous. He loses a derby and it’ll be minging. 

Cairneyhill Jambo
16 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Is he back cause we are staying in top flight and Utd aint coming up 😆

Horrendous appointment. Have we just conceded that that we are playing in the championship next year, before the court case. Strange move. 

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

James, James, James....

Is there a new record you could play?

Perhaps?

Please?

Is it not true like ? Derbies under him the last time gave me the fear. If that changes, fine. He was actually half decent outwith half a dozen key games. 

Youll be here A while if your going to message every person who doesn’t really fancy Nelson much, or is it just me   you want to tangle with ?

Edited by JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

A pointless argument that means nothing. Levein had us top of the league once. 

Dr. Bapswent

If we win a court case and avoid relegation does that mean Stendels contract is still active? 

How does that work with Robbie? 

I assume that it doesn’t. So even if we stay up, we have chosen to bin Stendel. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

What we need right now in my opinion is and was Stendel. Someone with a style that excites the fans and a drive to change bad habits. In my opinion of course. Middle of the road, bang average Scottish manager, who’s all ready been at the club is the last thing we needed. Like appointing Levein. The first negative result and the fans will be split. Tynie will be like it is now, poisonous. He loses a derby and it’ll be minging. 

I do agree in regards to Stendel, and my preference would certainly have been for him to stay. But it sounds as though he has decided to head elsewhere sadly. I also agree that this won't help unite the support and risks splitting it badly again. As you say, one bad result against Hibs and there will be a not insignificant element hounding him.

2 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Horrendous appointment. Have we just conceded that that we are playing in the championship next year, before the court case. Strange move. 

Yep i was shocked but he did do well last time around

Edited by Hearts007

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

A pointless argument that means nothing. Levein had us top of the league once. 

Pointless because it doesnt suit your agenda?

Did any of Robbie Neilsons teams go into freefall the way Leveins did?

Imo no matter what you think about RN arriving back at our beloved Tynecastle we should support him 100% , if the results don't go well and are not good enough whatever league we are playing in then Is the  time to be negative with him . I would have been ok for DS to be given more time but he is not here now ! so let's all move forward with a  positive attitude however this fiasco with the spfl ends, this is my look on it anyway .

FTH
Hearts forever 

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

He was actually half decent outwith half a dozen key games.

Yes, James.

Yes, he was.

The Cup game was the turning point.

Just now, Taffin said:

I do agree in regards to Stendel, and my preference would certainly have been for him to stay. But it sounds as though he has decided to head elsewhere sadly. I also agree that this won't help unite the support and risks splitting it badly again. As you say, one bad result against Hibs and there will be a not insignificant element hounding him.

Yeah if Stendel has pied us then I understand the need to get someone in quickly, just wish we’d had a bit of creativity with the appointment. He’ll be gone within two years, chased by the fans and we will be back looking for someone like Stendel. 

Guest ToqueJambo

This stuff about negative Neilson is nonsense.

In his first two seasons we scored freely - one of the top scorers in Scotland both seasons. One of the top in Europe in his first season, and that was the hardest Championship in history.

After Sow went and Dauda proved to be a flop he turned his pragmatic side up to max and focused on getting us European qualification, and succeeded. Our striker signings the next summer were disappointing - namely Watt and Sammon - but once Bjorn Jonsson was up to speed and he got Muirhead playing, we started scoring again in the last 5 or 6 games at least before he left.

If you look back through his time with us, we failed to score in VERY few games. And I remember a the time he had us creating a lot of chances - one of the best records in the division. Unfortunately our strikers for a while didn't take them, until Jonsson started playing well.

Given as of now he'll have Naismith, Boyce, Washington, Uche, Walker and Wighton to pick from, bit more likely will sign one or two to replace a couple of those, I would expect a lot of goals again.

Importantly, we were also always very defensively solid under him, hence all the points we racked up.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Soz Morgs.

ROBBIE OOT!

Good lad!

Keep it up.

Long haired lout that he was.

Scruffy too.